General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

This is probably going to be a touchy subject but....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

This is probably going to be a touchy subject but....

What do you think of Maaco paint jobs? like the $1000 (most expensive) one.

Anyone ever get one? How did you like it? Bad experiences?

I'm thinking of eventually painting my car (I have the dark grey) and I'd like it maybe the lexus dark grey... dont know the specific color
and i have someone to do the body work/take the moldings off and stuff
Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by x0kalie
I'd like it maybe the lexus dark grey... dont know the specific color
Way to copy my '03. I forgot the exact color as well. Check my CarDomain.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 PM

ive never gone but ive heard theyre not too good. i was going to get my 92 painted black there, and on another forum i asked what everyone thought about maaco and literally everyone said just dont. someone dropped there car off to get painted there and they just painted over the stock paint job so the new paint flaked and peeled within a few months. everyone said just go to a better place and thats what i'll end up doing this summer
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Just the tip.

You get what you pay for.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Exactly, I wouldn't skimp on a cheap paint job
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Got Retrofit?

My paint job cost $2500 man. Maaco is garbage. I wouldn't even pay to get my gas tank door painted by them. You want a nice job, your gonna have to pay.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM

if you go to maaco be sure to do all the prep work before you take it in but yea it's a cheep paint job
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Way to copy my '03. I forgot the exact color as well. Check my CarDomain.
what color was your 03 stock?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by J RO 9
what color was your 03 stock?
Sterling Mist IIRC (Silver). I got tired of it after I got my 4th gen. If you need anymore info, just PM me.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM

I don't know if the "you get what you pay for" saying carries much weight. I got an estimate for body work from a reputable (lot sof insurance company work) for $2100, they were going to use junkyard hood. HIGH labor rate, something like $60/hour.

I took the car to a private shop that used to do a lot of my used cars when I managed a dealership. $30/hour labor rate, put new aftermarket parts on, did the job for $1100 and it came out fantastic. Perfect match, done in 3 days.

If the "you get what you pay for" theory held true, we would all be getting our cars serviced at the dealership, right?

I would look for a private body shop that specializes in custom stuff but not high end stuff. Check with a local used car lot and see who they use, you will be surprised at the quality of work you can get done relatively cheap.

Last edited by trooplewis; 04-01-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
if you go to maaco be sure to do all the prep work before you take it in but yea it's a cheep paint job
yep, ditto. the only way i would do maaco is if you prep it yourself and let them just spray
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chrome91
yep, ditto. the only way i would do maaco is if you prep it yourself and let them just spray
the problem with that is that they'll use cheap paint (probably single stage) that has no UV protection and looses its shine in just under a year. Not too mention that you'll forever have problems if you ever need anything repainted incase of a deep scratch or fender bended.

For the most part, "you get what you pay for" holds true, some times, especially in tough economic times, you can get a nice deal for a better price due to the gay needing the money to pay bills and is willing to work for less in order to keep the job.

shop around private shops. You should be able to find a descent shop for a descent price paint job.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM

Maaco = Trash. Don't do it.
I've had two cars painted there and it's garbage. One car, they applied the paint on top of the old paint and clearcoat. No prep, nothing. It started falling off in less than a year. The other car was painted and sold shortly after. I see the car form time to time and after a couple years, most of the hood,roof and trunk paint was gone.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer

You will notice what you get.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

If all of the prep work is WELL done...and you just have them spray, it actually turns out fairly well, assuming you go with the top of the line service.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
the problem with that is that they'll use cheap paint (probably single stage) that has no UV protection and looses its shine in just under a year. Not too mention that you'll forever have problems if you ever need anything repainted incase of a deep scratch or fender bended.

For the most part, "you get what you pay for" holds true, some times, especially in tough economic times, you can get a nice deal for a better price due to the gay needing the money to pay bills and is willing to work for less in order to keep the job.

shop around private shops. You should be able to find a descent shop for a descent price paint job.
I will be doing all of the prep work (well) and hopefully finding my own good quality paint
Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

better

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I don't know if the "you get what you pay for" saying carries much weight. I got an estimate for body work from a reputable (lot sof insurance company work) for $2100, they were going to use junkyard hood. HIGH labor rate, something like $60/hour.

I took the car to a private shop that used to do a lot of my used cars when I managed a dealership. $30/hour labor rate, put new aftermarket parts on, did the job for $1100 and it came out fantastic. Perfect match, done in 3 days.
I completely disagree. My family ownes a very large body shop.
I would have gone with the junk yard hood LKQ, or better knows as Like Kind Quality is a genuine Nissan Part, used and in excellent shape. Fitment is better and it's OEM quality. Just requires a refinish.

Aftermarket parts are junk, don't fit nicely and never last as long as an OEM part, wheather used or new. Us body shops hate to use them because they are a PITA to make look good on the car.

Although the shop rate of 60/hr does sound high, the part you would have gotten from that job would be of much higher quality then what you got.

So bottom line, you did "GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR".
An aftermarket lower quality part.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by trooplewis

If the "you get what you pay for" theory held true, we would all be getting our cars serviced at the dealership, right?

I would look for a private body shop that specializes in custom stuff but not high end stuff. Check with a local used car lot and see who they use, you will be surprised at the quality of work you can get done relatively cheap.
IMO i rather use a good OEM used hood than an new aftermarket hood.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I completely disagree. My family ownes a very large body shop.
I would have gone with the junk yard hood LKQ, or better knows as Like Kind Quality is a genuine Nissan Part, used and in excellent shape. Fitment is better and it's OEM quality. Just requires a refinish.

Aftermarket parts are junk, don't fit nicely and never last as long as an OEM part, wheather used or new. Us body shops hate to use them because they are a PITA to make look good on the car.

Although the shop rate of 60/hr does sound high, the part you would have gotten from that job would be of much higher quality then what you got.

So bottom line, you did "GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR".
An aftermarket lower quality part.
usually it takes even MORE labor to get an aftermarket panel to fit properly. the cost of that usually negates the savings for the aftermarket panel.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM

i had a maaco paint job on my old max and it was not that bad
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM

On the aftermarket v. used OEM mini-debate I would always say to stick with OEM parts, if it's a good quality used part.

As far as MAACO goes, if you're already going to be dropping $1000+ you may as well just find a good quality shop to do the work for more money. I've NEVER heard of anyone who was super happy with their paint job, and they are notorious for poor prep work, poor quality of paint, and mass quantities of overspray. Just IMHO...
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM

they are like uhaul, crappy everything, but people still keep going back. they are good if you bought a car for cheap, need a cheap paint job to sell it back. but if thats a car your're gonna keep, stay away from maaco
Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 PM

ill get a photo of the paint job... i had it on my 4th gen... White... and yuo can see a glimpse of it in my sig, the new owner changed to grey (car beside me).... u dont have to get the most expensive its o.k to be honest matter of fact go to youtube and check out MD ride out... or video clips from Dnvr12... my old maxima has a maaco paint job... check all of em... im sure somebody can pull it up for you, on here

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 04-02-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:46 PM

This is coming from a guy who has never got a MAACO paint-job but, I'd be willing to bet, if you did all the prep work (the right way) before going to MAACO and then when the paint is still new use TR-3 Resin Glaze Compound on the whole car. You would be just fine. TR-3 adds an additional clear-coat that (anyone who's used the stuff will tell you) is better than most clear-coats that are sprayed on. Just a thought...

But honestly, listen to what these guys are saying. The more money you pay, the better the product.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
usually it takes even MORE labor to get an aftermarket panel to fit properly. the cost of that usually negates the savings for the aftermarket panel.
I would buy the same hood again in a NY second. Perfect match, nice lines, no issues. You guys sure like to spend big money on old cars. I gave the money I saved to my kid (it's his car) to use for gas.

I forgot to add, for the money I spent the cheaper body shop also repainted the rear bumper, something that the high-end one wanted to charge me an add'l $150 for. So the car looks a lot better than it did before the F-150 backed into it.

But for the record, I would never have a car painted at a Maaco/EarlSheib type shop. The used car managers at your local dealerships know the best places to have reasonable work done cheap.

Last edited by trooplewis; 04-02-2009 at 07:17 PM.