General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lost conrol of the vehicle at 130 mph...............

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 04:18 AM

Lost conrol of the vehicle at 130 mph...............

All i can say is my stupidity, a wet road and high rate of speed was enough for me to loose control of my car.This all happened where highway 75N splits to 85N in GA. I was stupidly pushing over 120mph around this corner when the rear of the maxima spun out to the left.

The next thing i saw were headlights,highway divider,wall and taillights in no particular order. Yes the car was spinning clockwise all over 75N due to my taking the said corner at a stupid 130mph. I just sat there immobilized waiting for either somebody to crash into me or my car to crash into the wall or even the divider.

With nothing much to do i put my foot hard on the brake and the car stalled so now here i was stuck with a 3000lb piece of metal with no power steering or assisted brake's and still continuing it's erratic travel with my foot still depressing the resistant brake pedal . After a few more hair-raising spins the car came to a stop sideway's in the middle of the road.I started the car up and took off like nothing ever happened.

My friend who was in the car with me did not say a word and he infact thought that i had pulled a stunt on the highway i guess my calmness saved my sorry a$$ today.I do beleive i may have bust my CV joint or thrown the front off alignment because the car is making some noise as i take turns and the steering wheel vibrates at speed event though i impacted nothing.Those ladies and gentlemen are the consequences of my foolishness
Old 11-24-2001, 04:41 AM

You owe someone your life. Be thankful.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:50 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you should only drive like an idiot by yourself.
Old 11-24-2001, 05:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dang. Be careful, dude. I never do racecar stuff in the rain. I will never forget the scary, helpless feeling of hydroplaning that I've done in the past. That's the only time you'll see me in the slow lane, though. You probably flat-spotted your tires while spinning across the pavement, and that is why you have a vibration. You'll have to get new tires to get rid of that.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:14 AM

That was stupid
Old 11-24-2001, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
So true, so true.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:25 AM

Take this for the lesson it was.

This is the sort of thing that made me stop street racing and start doing it on the track, with helmet on and safety crew nearby.

Glad you and your passenger are OK.

Albert
Old 11-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you're a chump ... wanna kill yourself? buy some rope as$hole ... sheesh
Old 11-24-2001, 10:45 AM

he admitted that what he did was stupid, so why are you calling him an as$hole?
Old 11-24-2001, 10:46 AM

Maybe he didn't want to call him an ******* if he had died.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:56 AM

Re: Lost conrol of the vehicle at 130 mph...............

Any amt of moisture on the roads is a recipe for disaster. I have learned that skidding is VERY easy to do in the rain, at low speeds, and seemingly in the most benign of circumstances. I now have learned to respect mother nature, in particular, rain and snow.

You owe a higher power a big thank you and your friend an apology...
Old 11-24-2001, 11:13 AM

Dude you are very lucky. Why the hell would you go over 100mph on wet pavement. It is scary doing it on dry pavement. If I was your friend I would never drive with you again. So be be thankful that you didn't flip your car. I hope you have learned your lesson. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:43 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by medicsonic
Yup.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
is it me or is it just hard for me to understand how his car can skid @ 120 in rain and somehow come to a rest ?
DO you know what 120mph looks like from a stand still point ?
In the dry I can understand, but in the wet...2X distance, and u telling me you stopped. You even hit the brakes, so its even harder to understand.

From what I read.
120mph + wet road + right hander = spin left
spin left, see lights, wall, etc.. + brake(in wet) = stall ?
still spinning(??) foot on brake = sideways stop ??????

I lost control at 35mph on wet road, and I did not come to a stop anytime soon...the divider and guardrail slowed me down...

Sorry, as much as this is a lesson in life, there is no f*cken way you lose control of a car at that rate of speed, and come to a stop when you have no power controls especially when you said you were in a sweeping right turn since you said ur car pitched left.

-Sorry, but hard to believe.
i was also thinking that
Old 11-24-2001, 12:25 PM

damn man. that sounds like some crazy ****. Good thing you made it out of that one. how much does it cost to fix up the cv joint?
Old 11-24-2001, 12:54 PM

Man do you know how LUCKY you are? The same EXACT thing happened with my friend a couple of months ago (4th gen max), he was going about the same speed as you, 140 mph I think, and lost control on a curve. It wasn't raining or anything but he was driving his car like that on stock suspension. After doing a 180 his car hit the siderail and FLEW over it and then flipped on the other side about 2 times. His car was almost totalled, like $8000.00 damage, and luckily him and the 2 other people in the car got out scratchless. The reason all that sh*t happened was 'cuz his stupid as* was racing a 540 and he was all happy 'cuz he beat it. Anywayz take this as a lesson and be cool.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:59 PM

P.S. Like some other people here said, do whatever you want when you're driving alone, but don't put other people's lives at risk. A couple of my friends and I myself had to learn that the hard way, but luckily no one was ever seriously hurt. When you're the driver and you have other people in the car with you, you're responsible for their lives, and how would you feel if something happened to one of your friends/family members because of the way you were driving? I thought about that once when I got into a big accident with my little brother, and if something happened to him I never would've been able to forgive myself...so like I said, take this as a lesson and keep it real
Old 11-24-2001, 01:24 PM

Don't believe the 140mph part...think the lose control and hit a siderail and lived to tell about it ?

VERY VERY VERY HARD TO BELIEVE. ALMOST TOTALED ? A rollover like that in a 4th gen ? That constitutes a Total loss.
180 into a side rail, and then flipped on 2X ? so 360 degrees of damage and frame damage does not constitute total loss ?
Driver lives to tell the story huh ?

The day a 4th gen can beat a 540 in a highway race w/o forced induction...I'll give you my car if you can supply the video.

-I keep my word, already someone proved me wrong about 155mph in a Maxima.
155 in a max?
Old 11-24-2001, 01:32 PM

Don't believe the 140mph part...think the lose control and hit a siderail and lived to tell about it ?

VERY VERY VERY HARD TO BELIEVE. ALMOST TOTALED ? A rollover like that in a 4th gen ? That constitutes a Total loss.
180 into a side rail, and then flipped on 2X ? so 360 degrees of damage and frame damage does not constitute total loss ?
Driver lives to tell the story huh ?

The day a 4th gen can beat a 540 in a highway race w/o forced induction...I'll give you my car if you can supply the video.

First of all that story isn't made up. Why would I reply to a post and make up a story like that? I don't think it makes me look 'cool' or anythin...lol. Other than that, I'm not sayin that he kicked the 540's a*s. Like I said it was a bad curve and the max kept goin up to 130-140 mph and the 540 probably just slowed down because of the curve even though it probably wouldn't have gone crazy like the max. So thatz the only thing, I never said a 4th gen completely stock max can beat a 540 in any way. But you're right to be skeptical, cuz whoever hears that story is like "uhh the 540 probably wasn't racing then". But like I said, CURVE.

And the other stuff you said, that car wasn't a Total Loss or how did the drive live to tell the story etc, What can I say about that? Just luck I guess? Believe it or not, the car had about $8000.00 damage like I said, mostly body fuc*ed up, lights, mirrors, suspension etc. No windows broke and roof was barely scratched. Interior was good as new. I saw the car myself, it didn't look as bad as I thought a car in an accident like that would. But then again 8000 dollarz isn't a small amount. And 2 of my friends were with him in the car and they said the same thing, so I know they're not jus makin that stuff up. And again like I said before, I can't answer your questions like how did the car of the people in the car suvive an accident like that, cuz I'm not God. :-)

P.S. I think you live in NYC right? The accident was on grand central going west near the queens blvd/union turnpike exit. Next time you pass by there, notice that right BEFORE the exit there is a little curve and you see everyone hitting their brakes when passing by there. Before I used to fly by there without caring bout anythin, but after his accident the fastest I go on there is 70-75 (waitin to get some suspension mods so I can do 120 and not flip . So anywayz I hope I answered your questionz, and I know you might be like thatz not that bad of a curve, but jus look at it if you pass by it anytime. And I guess any curve can be bad when you're going 140 mph.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:37 PM

Sorry TYPOS:
- And the other stuff you said, that car wasn't a Total Loss or how did the driver live to tell the story etc.

- I can't answer your questions like how did the car or the people in the car suvive an accident like that
Old 11-24-2001, 02:34 PM

I think you should head for the church, temple, mosque...whichever God you believe in, and thank HIM with all your heart and mind. HE saved your tail BIG TIME!!
Old 11-24-2001, 02:37 PM

That's a dangerous promise. I can probably find someone with a 540 willing to lose to a 4th gen on video for about $1k.

Did you have to give out any lights over the 155MPH run? I recall you promosed parts to all sorts of people. Once I get my 2002 6spd and get it broken in I'll have to see what the top speed is. Of course I'll have to get my buddy to drive ahead and make sure the freeway is Po-Po free.

Stereodude
Old 11-24-2001, 02:38 PM

That's a dangerous promise. I can probably find someone with a 540 willing to lose to a 4th gen on video for about $1k.

Did you have to give out any parts over the 155MPH run? I recall you promised parts to all sorts of people. Once I get my 2002 6spd and get it broken in I'll have to see what the top speed is. Of course I'll have to get my buddy to drive ahead and make sure the freeway is Po-Po free.

Stereodude
Old 11-24-2001, 02:51 PM

140 and hit a guardrail and lived to tell about it without totaling his car, i was doing 10mph in my 95 maxima making a left turn when a dodge ram hit me doing 50+, that not only completely totaled my car but almost took 2 of my friends lives, thankfully now they are ok.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:51 PM

nah it wasn't maxse01, someone else off the .org. I bet him something else...bah. I was with him taping the 155mph run in his car. 01 SE 5 spd CAI, Y-Pipe, Cat, 2.5" SS Mid, HKS muffler. My AST-Coilovers, and he is on my IMPUL NS-01R's til spring 02.(the drunken bet.) It was out of fun, I just was curious, thats all.
Willing to lose ? What a setup...
So assuming the 2002 6 speed isn't limited at 149 (the tire rating) how fast do you think it will go? A 2002 should have about as much power as 2001 you filmed in.

Stereodude
Old 11-24-2001, 03:07 PM

is it me or is it just hard for me to understand how his car can skid @ 120 in rain and somehow come to a rest ?
In the dry I can understand, but in the wet...2X distance, and u telling me you stopped. You even hit the brakes, so its even harder to understand.

From what I read.
120mph + wet road + right hander = spin left
spin left, see lights, wall, etc.. + brake(in wet) = stall ?
still spinning(??) foot on brake = sideways stop ??????

I lost control at 35mph on wet road, and I did not come to a stop anytime soon...the divider and guardrail slowed me down...

Sorry, as much as this is a lesson in life, there is no f*cken way you lose control of a car at that rate of speed, and come to a stop when you have no power controls especially when you said you were in a sweeping right turn since you said ur car pitched left.

-Sorry, but hard to believe.
I spunout in my car once in a sweeping left turn going 100 when I hit a gravel patch, but somehow, I never left the road and ended up stopped across the right shoulder and the right lane facing a big ditch. All I did was flatspot my tires and thank god for everything!
Old 11-24-2001, 04:18 PM

sorry to say but if no windows busted, and there were only scratches on the roof, theres no way it rolled... unless it flipped lande back on the wheels without rolling lol.. especially at 140 or so... i couldnt even imagine crashing at 100, the damage would be real bad
Old 11-24-2001, 06:29 PM

if i was the passenger...

i would calmy look you in the eyes...

ask you what the hell was you thinking...

then repeatdly punch you in the face...

till you was a bloody pulp
Old 11-24-2001, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yo_its_ok
[B]is it me or is it just hard for me to understand how his car can skid @ 120 in rain and somehow come to a rest ?

You son of a b!tch the corner was a right hander and when i spun the wheel to the right the rear stepped out to the left...... right. And if you cannot comprehend, the corner where this happened is where two major highways meet ie six f@cking lanes. The f@cking car spun for while. Am sorry for what i did and i don't need your sympathy just passing along my personal experience.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:40 PM

Another thing MR yo-its-ok the car was spinning rapidly round and round and i thought it safe to keep my foot on the brake to slow down the progress .One more thing when you lock the wheel's in my 5spd max the engine stalls if your foot is off the clutch.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by nodoubt711
if i was the passenger...

i would calmy look you in the eyes...

ask you what the hell was you thinking...

then repeatdly punch you in the face...

till you was a bloody pulp
Thank you for your concern.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Thanks man i got into a gas station and had a few minutes with God.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:04 PM

What happens if it was a wet day and you hit your brakes ??

Anyone a Physics major ?
Am sorry but i have to come out again!. Did you ever go to school then if you did you will know something about NEWTONS LAW'S First Law: An object stays in its state of motion ( even
if that "motion" is "at rest" ) until compelled to by a net force . ... B!tch that net force was my locked tire's
OK Jambo/clee moderator's am sorry for my offensive language but in cases like yoitsok it is a must. Nothing personal i admitted my foolish mistake.......don't hang me on the cross.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE

Am sorry but i have to come out again!. Did you ever go to school then if you did you will know something about NEWTONS LAW'S First Law: An object stays in its state of motion ( even
if that "motion" is "at rest" ) until compelled to by a net force . ... B!tch that net force was my locked tire's
OK Jambo/clee moderator's am sorry for my offensive language but in cases like yoitsok it is a must. Nothing personal i admitted my foolish mistake.......don't hang me on the cross.

Dude, I gotta ask you, what did you think was going to happen when you post something like that? Everyone here preaches to not drive like a dumbass, then you post that. We are all thankful you are alright, but damn, you gotta expect some flack.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:08 PM
Administrator

did you not think they were going to flame you for this? i havn't said anything because i didn't feel the need to.. but didn't you expect to be flamed for this
Old 11-24-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by CRMax

Dude, I gotta ask you, what did you think was going to happen when you post something like that? Everyone here preaches to not drive like a dumbass, then you post that. We are all thankful you are alright, but damn, you gotta expect some flack.
You say everyone 'preaches to not drive like a dumbass', but then we have threads like 'This is how we do things in the NE...'. Everyone loves speed (or we'd take the bus), but no one ever thinks about the consequences until something goes really wrong. It's like racing on the track, you build up your speed every lap until the car snaps out on you, then you back off a little only to build it up again.

I think the last thing we need to do is call someone an idiot, etc for relaying his experiences. Having been in 'situations' myself in the past, I know how many times you run the 'event' in your head, trying to figure it out. That happens over and over, many times before you can even talk to someone about it. Let's take this for the warning it should be. All you new drivers should know that crap can happen, and all you 'experienced' drivers should remember that crap can happen.

Thanks for the story and glad you're OK, d_98SE.

Albert
Old 11-24-2001, 08:15 PM

You're right, I mispoke. Most people preach not to drive like a dumbass. Most everyone has had a brain fart or two when driving. I've pushed my car farther than I should have before. That said, posting that you were driving 130mph on a wet road, goes behind the ordinary brain fart, it's approaching the "what were you f'ing thinking" area. Like I said before, I'm glad he is alright. But to think that no one was going to give him crap about it is ignorant.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by d_98SE
All i can say is my stupidity, a wet road and high rate of speed was enough for me to loose control of my car.This all happened where highway 75N splits to 85N in GA. I was stupidly pushing over 120mph around this corner when the rear of the maxima spun out to the left.

The next thing i saw were headlights,highway divider,wall and taillights in no particular order. Yes the car was spinning clockwise all over 75N due to my taking the said corner at a stupid 130mph. I just sat there immobilized waiting for either somebody to crash into me or my car to crash into the wall or even the divider.

With nothing much to do i put my foot hard on the brake and the car stalled so now here i was stuck with a 3000lb piece of metal with no power steering or assisted brake's and still continuing it's erratic travel with my foot still depressing the resistant brake pedal . After a few more hair-raising spins the car came to a stop sideway's in the middle of the road.I started the car up and took off like nothing ever happened.
My friend who was in the car with me did not say a word and he infact thought that i had pulled a stunt on the highway i guess my calmness saved my sorry a$$ today.I do beleive i may have bust my CV joint or thrown the front off alignment because the car is making some noise as i take turns and the steering wheel vibrates at speed event though i impacted nothing.Those ladies and gentlemen are the consequences of my foolishness
dude it happens to everyone...hard to learn something without gettin a crashcourse in it,everyone gets stupid sometimes,just be grateful that you ,your car and everyone else is in 1 piece
Old 11-24-2001, 08:23 PM
MaximaRversion2

Originally posted by NickStam
True , i drive like an idiot , but i wont do it if people are with me , especially my gf... :aww how sweet:

Old 11-24-2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by CRMax
You're right, I mispoke. Most people preach not to drive like a dumbass. Most everyone has had a brain fart or two when driving. I've pushed my car farther than I should have before. That said, posting that you were driving 130mph on a wet road, goes behind the ordinary brain fart, it's approaching the "what were you f'ing thinking" area. Like I said before, I'm glad he is alright. But to think that no one was going to give him crap about it is ignorant.
By no means did I mean to single you out, hope you understand that. Just by the time I got through the messages, I had enough. I by no means condone what he did, but until I did something equally foolish myself, I always thought I was invincible. I'm just saying, let everyone say their peace and let's all learn from other's misfortune.

Albert

Quick Reply: Lost conrol of the vehicle at 130 mph...............