General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So where exactly is the ValveBody harness?....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 01:02 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

So where exactly is the ValveBody harness?....

I'm not seein it. By "located on top of the tranny, near the front of the vehicle", does this mean I should be able to see/find it from above the car, like looking down into the engine bay? I see a few different harnesses and stuff, but not anything that looks like the harness in the diagram. Could someone who has done the VB upgrade give me a few tips on locating it?
Old 11-29-2001, 01:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not sure if your set set up is the same as the 5th gen but here's a link to the Selonoid TSB. It has some pretty detailed pics of the valve body and it may help. You may also want to try to contact Don if you haven't already.

http://www.punkdork.net/max/tsb039a.pdf
Old 11-29-2001, 01:48 PM

You have to take the air intake assembly off to see it. Technically, you can change out the solenoids without ever taking the harness loose, but you will have to work with the valve body in the air if you do.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:49 PM

It should be underneath the car. If you take a look at figure 1 in the Selonoid TSB you can see a better pic of it. The harness is actually connected to wires that connect to the selonoid if you look at figure 4 in the TSB and the 3rd figure in Don's Webpage directions that show the whole unit.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:29 PM

ok I found it. I took off that metal clip but how does the harness come loose? Right now that's the only thing that's holding my VB in, and it doesnt seem to want to come loose. I certainly dont wanna just pull it loose. How do I disconnect the harness to get the VB out???? Is it just supposed to slide out when I take off the metal clip?
Old 11-29-2001, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by James92SE
ok I found it. I took off that metal clip but how does the harness come loose? Right now that's the only thing that's holding my VB in, and it doesnt seem to want to come loose. I certainly dont wanna just pull it loose. How do I disconnect the harness to get the VB out???? Is it just supposed to slide out when I take off the metal clip?
Metal clip = stopper ring, that's what I meant to say. Does the harness actually come loose, or is it supposed to just slide out once the ring is taken off?
Old 11-29-2001, 02:41 PM

Push it down, it comes loose. Did you loosen the wiring harness inside the engine room though?
Old 11-29-2001, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Push it down, it comes loose. Did you loosen the wiring harness inside the engine room though?
Yeah, I got it. I was thinking that where it pushes through, that it was supposed to disconnect right there. I followed that wire up through the engine, and then found that harness, disconnected it, and pulled it all the way down through the hole. See, at first I didnt realize that all that wiring was supposed to come out with it. Thanks for all the help. That whole procedure wasnt as easy as I expected, especially when it's below freezing outside! So now I take off all those solenoids, keep those, and ship the other stuff to Don? He hasnt really replied to my e-mails...
Old 11-29-2001, 04:29 PM

Yes you'll need to remove the selonoids and ship the VB to Don. Make sure you wrap it in plastic and bubble wrap before you put it in the box for shipping. This was from an e-mail Don sent me:

The VB is about 16"x9"x4", and weighs around 15 pounds.
Make sure what ever you pack it in is very, very well packed (we use plenty of bubble wrap. PLEASE ENSURE the VB does NOT ship in the box during shipment (this will cause it to tear thru the box). Please drain completely (about 10 minutes) before wrapping in plastic bags. If it leaks, the post office will ship it back to you (or it may tear and damage the VB).

Hope this helps.