General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How to get better fuel mileage by adding acetone and other things..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to get better fuel mileage by adding acetone and other things..

Doing some research I read article after article that by adding 2 ounces of "PURE" acetone per 10 gallons of fuel will increase fuel mileage per gallon by 10 miles. I will be trying it, I dont think it will damage anything internally. The only thing I was able to come up with that it may rise the cylinder temperatures. The cure to that would be a set of NGK iridiums. Most people are not even going that far.

I am not here to sell anyone any products or anything like that, but I would use 5W/30 engine oil with some Lucas oil synthetic stabilizer. It has been working out great for all the cars I been working on. You can mix the synthetic stabilizer with regular oil. The 5 gallon Mobil 1, 5w/30, regular oil goes for $12.00 at Walmart. The expensive part will be the $15.00 Lucas oil. However that stuff will make your engine run very smooth. An increase in fuel mileage! Keep those tires PROPERLY INFLATED

One more tip for those guys with manual trannies, you dont have to buy that expensive *** Redline tranny fluid, you can just buy a gallon of regular GL-4 tranny fluid and mix it up with Regular Lucas, the regular bottle that is all white, the fluid is very very thick. That Lucas will bind the oil to your gears and synchros. That quart goes for about $10.00 a quart. Every transmission rebuild a quart of Lucas is added. No complaints from anyone. If anything it makes everything in there more slippery<---that keeps the synchros very happy. I will choose lucas over redline anytime. Will save you some money so you can get something to eat

So here is the breakdown

1. Inflate your tires<------ this is the number one fuel mileage killer
2. Change air filter....Most of you guys are running KNs so this may not apply
3. Use thinner oil 5w/30
4. Get all the junk out of the trunk
5. Add 2 ounces of Acetone per 10 Gallons of fuel<--Im currently testing this out.

If you got a boom box, it may need to come out. Use smaller speakers with amplifier and have extra money to take the old lady out. Maybe buy some other upgrades for your car

Last edited by JAY25; 11-03-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 AM

Can you tell me where you read this info on acetone being added to gas?? I would like to read that but it sounds a bit dangerous to me?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 AM

in to see your updates on acetone,.. from everything ive read it eats apart rubber seals and stuff.. g/l
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1997MAXZ
Can you tell me where you read this info on acetone being added to gas?? I would like to read that but it sounds a bit dangerous to me?

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/
Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Good read but still questionable for long term use with rubber fuel line parts such as lines to fuel filter etc. If you try it let us know the results.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM

I am going to try this two ways. One way I am going to dip a fuel line in this acetone, pure no gasoline. I am also going to use it in an older vehicle. I am going to try this on a Honda Civic 1.5 SOHC Vtec. I have a spare 1.6 vtec engine if anything happens to it. I was going to try this on my F250 Diesel, but forgot the rubber issue. I am going to double check to ensure that the fuel lines can handle this. Lets not forget that gas is petroleum based. It has oil in it to keep it lubricated.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM

it will eat threw your fuel lines......well good luck with than then
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
it will eat threw your fuel lines......well good luck with than then

I am trying it on a old car I will keep you guys posted to see how many fuel lines i will be replacing. Or how many miles I am getting to my gallon of fuel.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM

cant wait :
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Finally we get to see a live test, good luck man!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Finally we get to see a live test, good luck man!
okay awesome, went to Home Depot and picked up a whole thing of pure acetone. I bought a measuring cup. Aside from this measuring cup I have a small digital scale. Right outside of Home Depot I had just finish putting some cheap 87 octane gas. That cheap 87 makes my honda run like crap. I added a ounce of Acetone. Started the car right up. Prior to me adding the 1 ounce my momz bust out with "Son you going to blow this car up? wait a minute mom can I do this testing thank you. Started the car up, smelled like some acetone was coming out the exhaust. Car started heck a fast. As I rode down the street the car felt as if I added some High Octane fuel. Throttle response was better. I can actually feel the difference in throttle response. The car ran so much better! However I will keep you guys posted. My last fuel tank yielded 286 miles 9 gallon tank, that was on 93 Octane. That was 31.7 per gallon. However my TPS and Oxygen sensor is shot and I just ordered the new parts. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM

This sounds interesting. Did you put the full 2 ounces in you 9-gallon tank or less than that? And, much per ounce is the cost of the acetone? Hopefully you didn't drip any around the fuel filler door.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
This sounds interesting. Did you put the full 2 ounces in you 9-gallon tank or less than that? And, much per ounce is the cost of the acetone? Hopefully you didn't drip any around the fuel filler door.

No only one ounce, I have to repair my TPS and O2 sensor. I just added one ounce for the hell of it. See what the heck the car was going to do. I only did half a tank. I ll do two ounces once this half tank runs out. I will keep you guys posted. Have to do the repairs!!

Jaime
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM

between the lucas products peddling and putting something in your tank making an instant startup difference...I hope this is a joke.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
between the lucas products peddling and putting something in your tank making an instant startup difference...I hope this is a joke.

Lucas products peddling hahaha.....that was funny, I own a old 1994 Honda civic VX with 365,000 miles on it. Not a nissan Maxima. This is the test car, just in case you missed the details above. Anything else just ask? Be cool bro this is a forum to learn, gather valuable info. We have fun here, and make fun of others. If I blow my **** up, you guys can laugh okay! my momz stated are we going to blow up the roach? I said no roach is this little honda.

V1 SCer with a 3.33 pulley, yeah I added Lucas to this vehicle. That was some peddling <------ Look at the below thread, I was not born yesterday. I installed the mods in this car and put the SCer kit together. Look at the dyno numbers below. Also while we are on the peddling subject, do a search on V1 SCer Vs the V2 and what their power gains.

http://forums.maxima.org/7128100-post32.html

Alrighty moving right along, I just filled my gas tank and have the two ounces of acetone in there. I will ride for the next couple of days and will start to take notes on MPG.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM

what does what you have done to a car have to do with peddling lucas products? And yeah nice work, that supercharged car makes makes 20 more whp than my NA numbers...cool buddy. All im sayin is when you put something in your tank, the fuel lines are still full of the original fuel, so the startup wont be affected. You wouldnt get any of the acetone into the engine for several seconds after starting the car.

Good luck on the test though
Old 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM

what does what you have done to a car have to do with peddling lucas products? And yeah nice work, that supercharged car makes makes 20 more whp than my NA numbers...cool buddy. All im sayin is when you put something in your tank, the fuel lines are still full of the original fuel, so the startup wont be affected. You wouldnt get any of the acetone into the engine for several seconds after starting the car.

Good luck on the test though
Da..m is been a long time since I met a winner like you. You got a NA car that makes 20hp less then the one I SCed up? and your point is? I did not fill up tank
Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JAY25
Da..m is been a long time since I met a winner like you.
likewise

You got a NA car that makes 20hp less then the one I SCed up? and your point is? I did not fill up tank
impressive huh? How do you like that awesome torque curve that s/c makes? Bet it's really great. I know I'm impressed with the hp peaking at 6300 and instantly dropping off. All I'm saying is don't bring up things that have nothing to do with the topic, especially if they're embarassing.

So did you empty the fuel lines, then put the acetone in or did you add it to the tank and then start it? Think carefully now about where all the gas in the lines stays when you turn off the car. You might also want to consider if the acetone has some sort of capillary affect that would allow it to quickly spread up an already pressurized and full fuel line
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=Gemner;7280322]likewise

[QUOTE=
impressive huh? How do you like that awesome torque curve that s/c makes? Bet it's really great. I know I'm impressed with the hp peaking at 6300 and instantly dropping off. All I'm saying is don't bring up things that have nothing to do with the topic, especially if they're embarassing.[/QUOTE]

You said I was peddling with Lucas oil? WTF who are you to say I peddle with this stuff? Since your NA on a 3.5 and putting down 20 less horse power then this vehicle obviously you did not understand. I'm not going to sit over here type my point either. SCer with Lucas oil in engine V1 SCer, 3.0 block on a 3.33 pulley. Prior to me stating that the stuff works, Ive used it and it is awesome. I dont peddle with cars I actually work on cars. I like this guy, did you just buy that 02 Max?

So did you empty the fuel lines, then put the acetone in or did you add it to the tank and then start it? Think carefully now about where all the gas in the lines stays when you turn off the car. You might also want to consider if the acetone has some sort of capillary affect that would allow it to quickly spread up an already pressurized and full fuel line

oooh boy here we go again geeeez
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 PM

gemner.. leave him alone we all know 3.5>3.0

IMO he is trying something kinda like mythbusters have done except he didnt trust them so he is doing it on his own lol.. let him experiement,..whats it going to hurt,.. if you feel that acetone is stupid and ruins fuel systems well so be it,.if people read this and go hey wow im going to put acetone in my take,..so be it,..sometime people just need to learn the hard way . . .

on that note,.. eliminate the unexplained variance and control the variables ,.. im curious to see your ''results'' ,..

so lemme get this straight.. you filled up with half tank ~4.5 gallons and used 1 oz acetone in the civic?

what about your tests with soaking the fuel lines in acetone?

Last edited by mist max2000; 11-03-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000

IMO he is trying something kinda like mythbusters have done except he didnt trust them so he is doing it on his own lol.. let him experiement,..whats it going to hurt,.. if you feel that acetone is stupid and ruins fuel systems well so be it,.if people read this and go hey wow im going to put acetone in my take,..so be it,..sometime people just need to learn the hard way . . .

on that note,.. eliminate the unexplained variance and control the variables ,.. im curious to see your ''results'' ,..

so lemme get this straight.. you filled up with half tank ~4.5 gallons and used 1 oz acetone in the civic?

lol, sorry. I never meant to start an argument. I was just wondering why there was such an instant change when in reality there had been no change yet. Im not worried about the acetone ruining anything as he previously said hes using his beater to test it, it was just the butt dyno style comment that interested me. But I digress, I hope this works nicely. How much does the acetone cost per ounce anyway?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM

yeah good point.. the point you made about startup is interesting,..hmm.. who has a chemistry degree in here..that can enlighten us.... the only chem i took in college was intro to chem,.. and i didnt learn crap lol

side note after some reading: Acetone does flash and burn at a lower temperature, lower vaporization temprerature, higher vapor pressure at a given temperature, and has more BTU's than gasoline

okay..heres a decent read.. nothing conclusive,.. but on topic..

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...one-mpg-19886/

Last edited by mist max2000; 11-03-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

I did some experimenting with an electrolyzer a while ago. I had a broken arm and needed something to do while i was laid up. I ended up making a mess, spending a bunch of money, and actually got some great mileage. I've also heard of people adding inexpensive chemicals to substantially raise the octane of cheap fuel. This is a video of water being broken down into pure hydrogen and oxygen in my kitcken and some pics of it in my car. The gasses are drawn into the intake and improve combustion and mileage.

I'm interested to see how the rubber lines are affected by the acetone.

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/u...genbooster.flv

Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 AM

I just said forget the line soaking. Stuff is going to evaporate out of an unsealed container. 3.5>3.0 was not my arguement, he comes over here making it seem like I dont know what is going on. Since I dont post much and Ive never seen him he may not know who I am. No big deal might be a super smart guy who knows chemistry. I was not good in chemistry.

Thanks for letting me know what may happen to my fuel lines, I appreciate that. I missed that episode from Myth busters. I m going to try this on my own. A big bottle of Acetone from Home Depot is $15.00.

I didnt even put 4.5 gals, I only got three Gallons. Only wanted to see what is going to happen if I add it at three vs 9 Gallons. I did go and fill it up and added another ounce.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by bryan163
I did some experimenting with an electrolyzer a while ago. I had a broken arm and needed something to do while i was laid up. I ended up making a mess, spending a bunch of money, and actually got some great mileage. I've also heard of people adding inexpensive chemicals to substantially raise the octane of cheap fuel. This is a video of water being broken down into pure hydrogen and oxygen in my kitcken and some pics of it in my car. The gasses are drawn into the intake and improve combustion and mileage.

holy crap! lol... did you ever make a thread about this?,... and.. did your turbo replace this?,... also.. what is your background are you an engineer or something? and how much did you spend and what were the so called gains in mpg per tank? (edit: just noticed you lived in CT,..im in southington)

Last edited by mist max2000; 11-04-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 AM

I just said forget the line soaking. Stuff is going to evaporate out of an unsealed container. 3.5>3.0 was not my arguement, he comes over here making it seem like I dont know what is going on. Since I dont post much and Ive never seen him he may not know who I am. No big deal might be a super smart guy who knows chemistry. I was not good in chemistry.

Thanks for letting me know what may happen to my fuel lines, I appreciate that. I missed that episode from Myth busters. I m going to try this on my own. A big bottle of Acetone from Home Depot is $15.00.

I didnt even put 4.5 gals, I only got three Gallons. Only wanted to see what is going to happen if I add it at three vs 9 Gallons. I did go and fill it up and added another ounce.
why not do a sealed container? tupperware? or if you want metal.. somekinda coffee can that seals? ,..anyways,.. go drive around more to get faster results lol...my guess is you get some
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 AM

your nuts dude

Originally Posted by bryan163

Last edited by 1997MAXZ; 11-04-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: b
Old 11-04-2009, 05:41 PM

holy crap! lol... did you ever make a thread about this?,... and.. did your turbo replace this?,... also.. what is your background are you an engineer or something? and how much did you spend and what were the so called gains in mpg per tank? (edit: just noticed you lived in CT,..im in southington)
No, I'm not an engineer. I actually learned how to make hydrogen through electrolysis for one of my elementary school science projects. It's basically as simple as dipping some electrodes in salt water. Of coarse there's a little more involved to make it practical to be used in a car. Here's a link to a water car website if anyone wants to read up on it. http://www.waterpoweredcar.com/hydrobooster.html
People might be surprised to learn that the technology for cars to run completely one water does exist. Its a little more refined process called water fracturing which uses low amperage high frequency electricity to achieve a resonance across the electrodes. The result is much higher gas output using very little power and much longer lasting electrodes. This is a little harder to achieve and the people who have had success with water fracturing seem to keep turning up dead. Watch this video. It will blow your mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHT0hBgVOw

Last edited by bryan163; 11-04-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 PM

hmmmm I wonder how that would work with some E100
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM

well.. with the thing you made did you notice any difference?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM

well.. with the thing you made did you notice any difference?
Yes, the difference was noticable. On a commute that I was used to using 1/4 tank of fuel on I would only burn 1/8. I should have done more testing on it, but I really needed a $50 circuit to regulate the voltage to prevent the electrolysis from eating the electrodes and I was more into performance mods at the time. I actually have an improved version on the shelf in my garage that I never installed. I have been considering putting it in my work truck after spending $150 on fuel last week
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 AM

Any results with the acetone Jay25?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM

The Acetone thing is a myth. Even Mythbusters proved it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
some claim they were paid off and forced to say that by 'the man'

..just sayin
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM

some claim they were paid off and forced to say that by 'the man'

..just sayin

Okay update to everyone, I am trying it on two other vehicles.

200? Silverado 4x4, I forgot the year of the truck. Owner is a auto tech, not a troll that has a car with more displacement that I do he gave me the okay to try it on his truck. He wants to see this acetone myth.

I drive a 1996 Saturn 5 spd manual 1.8L engine to Va every week once a week.

These are all daily drivers, I own the Honda, and use the saturn to travel out of town. Thats not the only two cars I have. I also have a Lexus SC300 5spd manual and a F250 turbo diesel 6 spd manual. I have four vehicles to pick from but cant drive every car. My father wants to Volunteer his F150 truck. I told him to hold on. After careful thought of what one of the guy said. Two ounces to 10 gallons is a very small amount to mess the hoses up. But thats the reason why I am trying it for myself.

Today I loaned out my Honda so I can get results. The Silverado filled up and I added four ounces of Acetone. He is driving from NC back to Atlanta. I contacted him, he stated that he had traveled 155 miles and only used up a 1/4 of a tank. I dont have enough info on the vehicle. This was a very last minute thing. That will be a freeway run. This guy does not speed either.

Bryan that Hydrogen cell how is that holding up? Thats suppose to improve your fuel mileage! That stuff costs way over $1600.00 to buy complete.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Do you also believe Santa comes thru the chimney?

I dont know them dudes. They are quite smart educated people. But I want to try it myself. If it dont work then I will take it like a man and state "It dont work". While others say it works then I want to try it myself. Trying it wont hurt, right?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 AM

HHO Fuel Cells in Maximas

I just wanted to add my support for the Fuel Cell technology available today. There are a wealth of resources to find out about this incredible technology. If anyone is interested, I will spend a few minutes gathering a link or two for you folks.

I have personally used what is known as a "wet cell" on my 90 SE and got results of around 30% better mileage. My Max at the time wasn't in its prime as it had crapy tires, bad timing, and wasn't acting like it was healthy. I was getting around 18mpg on the highway and then got 24mpg after installation.

Note: the 1990 Maxima was rated to have a highway mpg rating of 24 mpg. This is a brand new car, on a flat road, with no wind, and one average driver. My tests were done with atleast one other person, a trunk full of gear/luggage, and usually a bike or two on the trunk.

The fuel cell I was using was the simplest type you can find and gets the lowest results. My setup was far infderior to what I have planned for the Max when she is back on the road. I had the fuel cell on a 2001 Mercury Sable for a few months and recorded my milage the entire time. I have made up some spread sheets for it, but I haven't entered the data from my recordings while driving the Max.

For those who want better mileage, better emissions, and putting money in their wallet while encouraging the longevity of your vehicle, the Hydrogen Fuell Cells of today are waiting. Looking forward to any replies and/or questions.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I just wanted to add my support for the Fuel Cell technology available today. There are a wealth of resources to find out about this incredible technology. If anyone is interested, I will spend a few minutes gathering a link or two for you folks.

I have personally used what is known as a "wet cell" on my 90 SE and got results of around 30% better mileage. My Max at the time wasn't in its prime as it had crapy tires, bad timing, and wasn't acting like it was healthy. I was getting around 18mpg on the highway and then got 24mpg after installation.

Note: the 1990 Maxima was rated to have a highway mpg rating of 24 mpg. This is a brand new car, on a flat road, with no wind, and one average driver. My tests were done with atleast one other person, a trunk full of gear/luggage, and usually a bike or two on the trunk.

The fuel cell I was using was the simplest type you can find and gets the lowest results. My setup was far infderior to what I have planned for the Max when she is back on the road. I had the fuel cell on a 2001 Mercury Sable for a few months and recorded my milage the entire time. I have made up some spread sheets for it, but I haven't entered the data from my recordings while driving the Max.

For those who want better mileage, better emissions, and putting money in their wallet while encouraging the longevity of your vehicle, the Hydrogen Fuell Cells of today are waiting. Looking forward to any replies and/or questions.
I would be interested in seeing the test results and also the design of your electrolyzer. Also voltage and Amp draw figures.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ve30max

I would be interested in seeing the test results and also the design of your electrolyzer. Also voltage and Amp draw figures.

Quick Reply: How to get better fuel mileage by adding acetone and other things..