General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Underdrive Pulley, is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 07:49 PM

Underdrive Pulley, is it worth it??

hey fellas,

I just had my Stillen intake un-installed from my 2000 maxima because i lost the quiet and smoothness of the ride. I have any underdrive pulley but i'm wondering what kind of "side effects" i guess you can say, will i have if i install the pulley. I would hate to install it then take it out because i didn't like it.

So if you guys have any advice, experience or suggestions i really would appreciate it!

thanks

Old 12-03-2001, 07:52 PM

Re: Underdrive Pulley, is it worth it??

this mod is mostly for the 5 speed guys so if you have an auto then its not worth getting. Some say it not even worth getting even if its on a 5 speed
Old 12-03-2001, 07:53 PM

please run a search...this question has been asked 100 times...
Old 12-03-2001, 09:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

It depends what you mean by "worth it". It is worth it if you are looking for every little bit of power out of your Maxima. I would estimate that it would only give you about a tenth or two off your 1/4 mile. But, since I don't know too much about 2000 Maxima's with UDP's, then I can't really answer your question.

I have a 92 SE Auto with an UDP and it shaved off about .15 off my 1/4 mile. It's really hard to notice with a butt dyno. But, you will notice that your tach moves quicker. Also, you might notice that you gain a little low end power. I would chirp my tires when I never use to. So, I say my UDP mod was worth it b/c every little bit helps. But, I know that this is a mod you will notice. Just don't expect too much from it.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:22 PM

WTF.....

Medic or Sprint ain't around here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WTF are they?
Old 12-03-2001, 09:57 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

here are the search results.

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending
Old 12-03-2001, 09:59 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: WTF.....

Originally posted by LaXor
Medic or Sprint ain't around here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WTF are they?
I think Sprint is installing one as we speak along with his G-force ECU!
Old 12-04-2001, 12:29 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you guys can argue all you want about this.

blah blah not worth it. blah blah hurts your car.

freakin half of those who argue against the UDP dont even know what a UDP is let alone ever been near one, nor installed one. ( i might add this similiarity to the Gforce ECU)

its a good modification bar none.

lets the engine rev faster, while sacrificing a little on the power steering but the steering needs to be less sensitive anyway.

A GOOD 5 speed mod, semi noticable on an Auto.

the install is meant for pro or high skilled DIYer with the right tools. theres many things u'll need to do to install it right but baby, once its in, you'll know its there.

alas. u know where i stand. Knowledge is power... everyone should do things on what they want to do. not what some chump says. .. if i'm a chump here. then so be it. but i got a reputation and a web site to uphold....
Old 12-04-2001, 12:56 AM

Re: Re: WTF.....

Originally posted by DA-MAX

I think Sprint is installing one as we speak along with his G-force ECU!
lmfao!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is noticeable on my autotragic.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:27 AM

Tell you what, if you take off the serpentine belt at the track, you'll be MAD quick. Try that instead.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chebosto
you guys can argue all you want about this.

blah blah not worth it. blah blah hurts your car.

freakin half of those who argue against the UDP dont even know what a UDP is let alone ever been near one, nor installed one. ( i might add this similiarity to the Gforce ECU)

its a good modification bar none.

lets the engine rev faster, while sacrificing a little on the power steering but the steering needs to be less sensitive anyway.

A GOOD 5 speed mod, semi noticable on an Auto.

the install is meant for pro or high skilled DIYer with the right tools. theres many things u'll need to do to install it right but baby, once its in, you'll know its there.

alas. u know where i stand. Knowledge is power... everyone should do things on what they want to do. not what some chump says. .. if i'm a chump here. then so be it. but i got a reputation and a web site to uphold....
Cheston, it could be a good mod but the gentleman is asking whether its worth it, especially for the cost. The pulley does something but not enough for what these guys are expecting from it.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by deezo

Cheston, it could be a good mod but the gentleman is asking whether its worth it, especially for the cost. The pulley does something but not enough for what these guys are expecting from it.
Perfectly put. 150 bucks would much more benefit a Y-pipe and CAI, mods that provide MUCH more substantial gains.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:56 AM
ejj

Originally posted by medicsonic

Perfectly put. 150 bucks would much more benefit a Y-pipe and CAI, mods that provide MUCH more substantial gains.
Very true, I'd only spend the money on the UDP when you have all the other major mods, Y, cat back, intake.

Will you feel the difference? Of course. Is the difference like a Y-pipe? Of course not.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:01 AM

You can't get anything other than a used alum. Y-pipe for $150.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Definately get the y-pipe, some sort of modified intake, and B-pipe/catback first. Many will argue that the UDP does very little siimply because we have little dyno data supporting that it works. I respect Sprint's and Medisonic's opinion that the UDP doesn't work, but I feel that they are wrong. There are only two people (one 5th gen, one 4th gen) on this org that have dyno tested the UDPs. The 5th gen showed little if any gain, but the car wass never track tested. The 4th gen showed a gain of 5fwhp, but was never track tested. I plan on redynoing my 96 5 speed (y-pipe, intake, b-pipe, UDP) as soon as a get a replacement muffler (mine's rusted out). My current dyno without the UDP is 176fwhp/194fwtq. I'm hoping for 180fwhp/200fwtq. I have track tested my UDP and I've found my car to be a bit faster thru the 1/4 mile. Without the UDP, my best trap speed was 94.0X mph. With the UDP, I've hit 95.5mph. I have consistently been quicker and faster overall with the UDP, but I still haven't beat my best with the addition of the UDP. My best without the UDP was a 14.73@93.93mph in 45 degree weather. My best with the UDP is a 14.75@95.08mph in 75 degree weather. As you can see, my car is only 0.02 seconds slower, but over 1mph faster even though I was running in 30 degree warmer weather. It's fairly accepted that you gain ~2% power for every 10-12 degree drop in temp.

The biggest advantage of the UDP is it's lighter rotational weight. It is also 20% underdrive which helps a little too. I think the biggest gain in the UDP is felt in gears 1 and 2. I have yet to ride in or drive another Maxima that feels remotely as strong as my Maxima does. UDPs have been shown to gain power Mustangs, F-Bodies, Vettes, Sentras, Neons, 300ZX, Focus' (Foci?), etc. I don't see why the Maxima would be any different.

It's up to you if you think the UDP is worth it. My timeslips clearly show me that it's worth it.

Dave
Old 12-04-2001, 08:23 AM
Administrator

for my love for Eric J.. i am going to shut my mouth on this one..
Old 12-04-2001, 08:26 AM
ejj

Originally posted by SprintMax
for my love for Eric J.. i am going to shut my mouth on this one..
Old 12-04-2001, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by ejj5875

Old 12-04-2001, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Lime
You can't get anything other than a used alum. Y-pipe for $150.
Notice that no one would install it as one of the first mods... but you did. Should have bought a Y...
Old 12-04-2001, 08:42 AM

Notice that no one would install it as one of the first mods... but you did. Should have bought a Y...
And how much was it?
Old 12-04-2001, 08:44 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Most people want the most bang for the buck mods first. I wouldn't call a $200 UDP exactly bang for the buck. It's one of those mods that quinch our thrist for a little more power.

Dave
Old 12-04-2001, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Most people want the most bang for the buck mods first. I wouldn't call a $200 UDP exactly bang for the buck. It's one of those mods that quinch our thrist for a little more power.

Dave
I got mine for $140 shipped with belts
Old 12-04-2001, 09:09 AM

You, my friend, shouldn't talk. You got a body kit. How much faster did that make your car?

Reasons I got the UDP:
1) It was offered to me by someone I trusted for a good price at the right time.
2) I was planning to also buy a Y-pipe and exhaust at the time, but some other things prevented that. It was going to be a group of things done at the same time.
3) I knew it would help me, even a little, in the low end, and that's where I need the most power.

If you recall, I sort of LOST MY JOB, so monetary issues prevented me from getting the Y/exhaust. Then all the bad things started happening to the car, expensive things, so I haven't had the money to complete the picture. However, I am probably getting rid of the car soon, so it's a moot point.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:28 AM

You, my friend, shouldn't talk. You got a body kit. How much faster did that make your car?

Reasons I got the UDP:
1) It was offered to me by someone I trusted for a good price at the right time.
2) I was planning to also buy a Y-pipe and exhaust at the time, but some other things prevented that. It was going to be a group of things done at the same time.
3) I knew it would help me, even a little, in the low end, and that's where I need the most power.

If you recall, I sort of LOST MY JOB, so monetary issues prevented me from getting the Y/exhaust. Then all the bad things started happening to the car, expensive things, so I haven't had the money to complete the picture. However, I am probably getting rid of the car soon, so it's a moot point.
Body kits are for looks. UDP was for 'that last bit of power'. If you didn't have the money, you should have sold it at a profit. You didn't. Now, my car is WAY faster than yours.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:34 AM

really? Only when you spray. If you kept it NA your car is most likely still slower than my grandmother's 91 civic.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:43 AM

really? Only when you spray. If you kept it NA your car is most likely still slower than my grandmother's 91 civic.
Again. I DON'T HAVE THE NOS IN THE CAR... And I wil soundly ROMP on your car. Without a doubt.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:44 AM
Administrator

This sounds like a 3 way show down

Lime vs Medic vs ToYLeT Bowl
Old 12-04-2001, 09:57 AM
Enzo250

Unorthodox Pullies

Guys Unorthodox Makes some really good pullies.. Very high quality
I havent used them in my maxima YET.... but use them exclusively on my other cars and they free up horsepower for sure. On my honda i gained 7hp to the wheels.

Old 12-04-2001, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
This sounds like a 3 way show down

Lime vs Medic vs ToYLeT Bowl
But then she won't have a car to race because she has a engine/tranny/exhaust/intake/suspension/door problem. She must have gotten her car at he same dealershp Hogan got his at.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:17 AM

But then she won't have a car to race because she has a engine/tranny/exhaust/intake/suspension/door problem. She must have gotten her car at he same dealershp Hogan got his at.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:24 AM

uh...

i guess u all haven't noticed...he said he doesn't want noise..that's why he is wondering if that would help or not
Old 12-04-2001, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Dave B . . I think the biggest gain in the UDP is felt in gears 1 and 2. . .Dave [/B]
If the biggest gain from the UDP is in 1st and 2nd, then that is somewhat redundat. When I had just my CAI, my 1st gear was so powerfull that I HAD to throttle the pedal in order to prevent crazy wheelspin. So, 1st gear was already developing more power than the Maxima knew what to deal with. Adding a UDP would only make that gear worse.

2nd gear I can appreciate, but then that means the benefit to the UDP is mostly in 1 gear. I would think it affects all gears, just more subtle as you go higher up.

DW
Old 12-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Enzo250

Thats nonsense.. when using an udp you free up horsepower throughout your entire powerband.

IF your experiencing wheelspin you need to launch it differently or get yourself some better tires

Old 12-04-2001, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Enzo250
Thats nonsense.. when using an udp you free up horsepower throughout your entire powerband.

IF your experiencing wheelspin you need to launch it differently or get yourself some better tires
What kind of car do you have?
Old 12-04-2001, 02:18 PM

The problem is not my tires. I've had Pirelli 7000s and now I'm on Kumhos 712s. 225/45/17s. Do you drive an automatic Maxima?

DW

Originally posted by Enzo250

Old 12-04-2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The problem is not my tires. I've had Pirelli 7000s and now I'm on Kumhos 712s. 225/45/17s. Do you drive an automatic Maxima?

DW

I don't think he drives a Max at all. Look at his profile.
Old 12-04-2001, 02:57 PM

Yeah. Figures.

DW

Originally posted by deezo

I don't think he drives a Max at all. Look at his profile.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:02 PM

The UDP is last but not least, a good mod! I have a 5-spd with pretty much all N/A bolt on's. I like this mod and is worth it. However.... like almost all mods, you'll get used to it. No neck breaking performance but noticeable.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:48 PM

it seems that this argument keeps going on and on...but from reading everybody's replies...it seems that if you want to get as much out of the VQ engine as possible...every little mod will count. Although there really hasn't been any proven GAINS in HP, the engine revs up quicker...so, get it or don't get it? Get it if you have nothing else to purchase for your engine...

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley, is it worth it??