General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is this kind of treatment you get from your Nissan Service Advisor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 07:35 PM

Just to show you how much I love my dealers service dept....

I'm waiting for a new rear engine mount for my 2KSE to come in, ordered last Wednesday...

Me: Hi, SA...this is Jeff...did my new engine mount come in?

SA: Umm...yes I do believe so....they should have mailed out the postcard(thats how they let the customet know a part is in)today....

Me: Oh? So it is in?

SA: Um yes you should probably get the card in the mail tomorrow...call me then or when you get the card.

Me: Huh?

SA: Ok?

Me: Um yeah...

SA: Click!

Ok is it me or does someone else find something weird about this? The only logical reason I can assume is that they mail the cards so the repair appointments can be spaced out and not have everyone rushing in when they call to see if their parts came in?

I kept my cool as I'm making a log of the service I've been receiving and I don't want to wig out on them before I get my updated TCM...(hopefully ) I've had some contact with the GM of the dealership so this is one more thing I can throw at him if things go south.

Old 08-29-2000, 07:41 PM

It went a little like this...

Me: "Hi, I'd like to buy a oil filter for a VE30DE engine."

Them: "You wanna buy a what, kid?"

Me: "An oil filter for a VE30DE engine."

Them: "VE30DE? Nissan has never made a VE30DE."

Me: "Then whats in my 92 Maxima SE?"

Them: "Listen kid, I don't have time for your bull. Go find your dad.."

Me: "Go **** yourself, *******.."

*Leaves*

Note to self: Never go to Center Nissan again..
Old 08-29-2000, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

kid.. muuuhhahahahh they got that part right.. maybe they only help the ones who can reach the counter with out phone books.. muuuhhahahahha
Old 08-29-2000, 08:14 PM
RussMaxManiac

Okay recently, I had to take my 2k SE Sentra into the dealer because my passenger side sun visor is sagging, not against the roof. So they ordered one over 2 months ago I call, and asked what the status was, he says, did you receive your card, I said no, he said if not it has not come in, its on back order, so until then just wait. I am sick of waiting I am not sure what to do on this...

Old 08-29-2000, 08:23 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

they are bipolar

I never get the same treatment twice. Its hard to make a generalization about them.. just when you give up, they are great.. then when you are laid back about some problem, they treat you like crap. who knows.. they need medication..
Old 08-29-2000, 08:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

Finding good Nissan service is like a->

crap-shoot. I would equate it w/ same odds as a #4 hardway bet on the craps table.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:00 PM
MaxRX7

Nissan Service

This **** is hilarious, LOL. I have to dmit you guys made me laugh. I agree that the dealership service sucks. But I have to take it not to void the warranty.

My dad took his Pathfinder for a 50k mile service, for $99 with coupon, they were SUPPOSED TO: change oil/filter, top fluids, inspect blah blah blah, do things I don't remember. They did the oil, fluids, but not do obvious things correctly (or at all)like tire rotation (felt nasty on the highway), grease door hindges, etc.

He called AMEX, and told them what happened, so we didn't pay the dealer for all this hassle.

The worst fear I have about taking my car to the dealer is that they will steal I part from MY car and put it on THEIR car. They are A******!

Old 08-29-2000, 09:19 PM

I got the guy to give me free screws

was at a local nissan shop, I had recently unscrewed my shifter **** on my auto. and I lost the screws under my carpetting lining.. i told the guy.. he goes on the computer and shows me a picture .. I point at the screws... he finds them in a drawer...

I tell him, how much ?
he gives me a price for them .. like 60 cents or something..

being a computer technician, i know the price of little things like paper, toner for laser printing...

I look at his cash register and receipt printer and tell him.. hey buddy, it's gonna cost you more to print out the reciept than you are gonna make in profit...

he hands them to me and says have a nice day

I have never felt so good about two little tiny screws in my life.

........ .. then again... they got me to pay 78 bucks for a gas cap...

"evap system leak" message from my engine light.
if he told me the common causes for it, I would have remembered the day my cas cap busted on the road, and would have baught one for 12 bucks...

"No, man... it could be like 250 things.. we gotta hook it up to the computer (54 bucks)"

an hour later.... waiting in the lobby... shrubbin' it to a brochure of a 2000 se... watching wheel of fortune...

"hey... bad gas cap, buddy... 19 bucks"
(54 + 19)

he even kept my nice looking stock cap, i wanted it...

I was furious... and I even asked why he didn't answer my question before "what can cause this ?"

anyone have a diagnostic machine ?! would be nice to have one.

Old 08-29-2000, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For me, its like this:

Me: "Hey James, How's it goin?"

James(SA): "Pretty good, whats up?"

Me: Nothin much, just changed my clutch and f***ed up my tie-rod ends taking them off, how much for you to re-thread them?"

James: "Haha, you need to quit working on your own s***! Hey Steve(MT)! Bill screwed up his tie-rod ends dropping his tranny! He wants to know how much!"

Steve: "Tell Bill to stop working on his own s***!"

James: "(Laughing) Which side is it?"

Me: "Drivers side."

Steve walks over, gets in car, drive it over to open lift.

James: "Hey, did you see the specs on the next Skyline GTR?"

Me: "Not yet."

James: Shows me spec sheet. "Guess how fast it is in the 1/4?" Covers up spec on the 1/4 with his finger.

Me: "Low 13's?"

James: (Removes finger revealing mid 12's. "Pretty good huh? When's your Max gonna run that?"

Me" (smiling)"Hopefully when I get my Twin Turbo's and install AWD. I think I'll let y'all install that!"

James: (laughing)"No, you can install it, we'll just fix it when you f*** it up!"

Steve: Pulls my car around. "Here ya go, and stop bringing me your s*** when you f*** it up!"

Me: Buys Steve a Mountain Dew from the vending machine. "Thanks, see ya later."

Steve and James: "Bye"

I love my SA and the MT. BTW, Steve can install a clutch in about an hour and a half. He's fast as hell and doesn't miss a beat! He replaced a Quest engine in 3 1/2 hours, something that the dealer service manual says should take about 3 days! They even give me free screws when I lose them, ran background warantee histories on all my friends cars, etc. When Eric's tranny went out, he said they'd install his clutch at the same time for something like 40 bucks. Powers Nissan in Midwest City is awesome!
Old 08-30-2000, 12:30 AM
STFU n00b!

Man, it must be an oklahoma thing...

when I bought my max 2 years ago (with 68k miles)... Keep in mind that at this time, I know NOTHING about Nissans other than they're reliable and I could afford a '93 GXE at the time.

Me: Does this thing have a timing belt?
Sales Manager: Yup.
Me: Usually those things are supposed to be changed around 60k miles. right?
SM: Yup. At 60k, your Maxima should get a full tuneup. Distrib, change all fluids, timing belt, lube everything, blah blah blah.
Me: Is there a way you can check to see if this has been done?
SM: Well, it was a leased car from Courtesy in Dallas. They're ********s, so I won't mess with trying to find out. We don't have any open spots in the shop for a couple days, but if you bring the car back on Wed morning, I'll make sure they do the full 60k service for ya and might even talk them into filling up the tank for ya.
<I>(yes, that was the true quote from them! My first words about courtesy were that they're ********s and not worth talking to! LOL!)</i>

Me: I think I can handle that. Thanks! *signing insurance papers to take the car for the weekend before even buying it*

SM: Great! You can sign the papers next week if you still want the car, and we'll get you fixed up then.
Me: *leaving now* Thanks a lot!

SM: Oh, by the way.. the right front corner lens has a crack in it. the part is on order and we'll chance it when you come back.

<I>a few days pass and I sign papers and bring the car in for the service..</I>

SM: Hey! you likin the car so far?
Me: Yup! already got the stock stereo in the trash and a new system in the works.
SM: Kickass! Here's you a loaner car for the day. Yours will be ready when you get off work today. *takes my keys and hands me keys to a '95 Max on the used lot*

I leave and come back at 3pm..
SM: Here's yer keys. They had some other stuff on the car they decided to do also.. talk to Harley, the service manager for details..
I go back to the shop..
Me: Uhh, I'm looking for Harley, I was told to talk to him.
Short Fat Man: That's me. You must be Matt.
Me : Yup.
Harley: okie.. *grabs papers* here's all the stuff we did on the car. Dave told me he'd take care of the cash, but to give you the papers for service records.
we replaced xxx, yyy, zzz, xyz, zyx, corner light, timing belt, 60tuneup, alternator belt pulley bearing, blah blah blah. That's about it. all normal maintenance stuff. IF you have ANY problems with the car in the next 1000 miles, bring it back and we'll fix it no charge.

blah blah blah..
alternator blew 2 weeks later.. take it back..
Harley: Damn! I told those boys not to hook the fridge up to any of the customer's cars! Mike!! Get me an alternator for this thing!
Sorry about that. we're really busy today, but we can get to it tomorrow if you'd like.
Me: I know how to change an alternator if it's just time.
Harley: OKie... Here. *drops alternator on counter* just bring us your old one and we'll keep it our little secret.

hehehe
Old 08-30-2000, 12:44 AM

happy

i'm real saticefied with my service department (stanford nissan) their sales is horrible tho. neways they sold me a pair of superwhites for 55 bux, gave me the touch up paint for free, free windshield wiper replacements. always have been nice. but from where i bought the car, stevens creek nissan. man they sure got a pole stuck fifty feet up their butt crack. never answers a question i ask, and always has a straight face as if the pole was still getting shoved in.
Old 08-30-2000, 11:42 AM

Here's a few of my experiences!!

Here's a few of my experiences. I usually just try to deal with Courtesy Nissan in Dallas for obvious reasons, but sometimes I use ones in Houston or surrounding areas.

Courtesy Nissan:

Me: I need 4 different gaskets, I already have the part numbers.

Courtesy: Whats the application?

Me: 4th Gen Maxima, Valvebody gaskets

Courtesy: Sorry the Throttlebody only has one gasket

Me: rrriiightttttt, ok...how about for the transmission

Courtesy: oh, ok....I can't find it

Me: Let me talk with Steve...

Ed Hicks Nissan in Corpus

Me: I need non-platinum plugs for my '95 Max

Ed Hicks: sorry, Maxima doesn't have sparkplugs

Me: Whatever....Here's the part #

Ed Hicks: Aren't you a dealer?

Me: yeah, could you look up carburetor bearings for the same year car....I'll hold (then I hung up)

Baker-Jackson Nissan (where I originally bought my car, here in Houston)

Me: Can you show me the exploded view of the tranny for the 4th gen Maxima?

BJ: There was an explosion?

It takes all kinds.....
Old 08-30-2000, 12:01 PM

Me: Yeah, my car doesn't have that new car smell anymore.

SM: Damn, it's warrantied for 3 years or 36k miles, how old is the car?

Me: 1.5 years

SM: We can get it in right now and take a look at it. It may be a little while, why don't you go over to our pub.

Me: Your what?

SM: Our pub, we put one in, thought it would make customers a little happier about the wait. All drinks are on the house.

Me: Sweet, got any budweiser?

SM: Hell no!

Me: Allright!

(head over to pub)

Me: Wow, that's a pretty nice 80" big screen

Waitress: Yeah, it only plays OSU football games too. Every friday we just loop the last 1 minute of the rose bowl vs Arizona State.

Me: Sweet!

Waitress: What can I get you?

Me: How about a bass. And your number.

Waitress: Sure, I should probably tell you that we are required to sleep with all customers.

(later, at the car)

SM: All set, we took the liberty of replacing your carpet too, looked a little dirty. Oh, and we recovered your seats with new leather, and took the engine out to scrub it down. Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but we were a little worried that you didn't have any spare fuses for the stereo, so we stocked you up with 150 amp wafer fuses.

Me: Cool, what's the charge?

SM: Nothing man, it's all under warranty. BTW, we've got this Stillen S/C laying around, want it?

Me: Sure man

SM: Cool, we can probably put it on tomorrow morning, but it will take a few hours, all free of course. The pub opens at 9 AM though, and tomorrow is open mike day.

Me: Can I just move here?

SM: Sure, we just ask that you pay electricity and utilities, the apartments are above the showroom floor.

Me: Great, see ya in the morning!

Man, I love my dealer.
Old 08-30-2000, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LMAO!!!!

Nissan dealers here in San Jose, CA (Capitol Nissan, Falore Nissan, Stevens Creek Nissan) range from crappy to acceptable. Depends on who you talk to....
Old 08-30-2000, 10:58 PM
OG :)

haha

that is insane

Originally posted by deathwish

Me: Yeah, my car doesn't have that new car smell anymore.

SM: Damn, it's warrantied for 3 years or 36k miles, how old is the car?

Me: 1.5 years

SM: We can get it in right now and take a look at it. It may be a little while, why don't you go over to our pub.

Me: Your what?

SM: Our pub, we put one in, thought it would make customers a little happier about the wait. All drinks are on the house.

Me: Sweet, got any budweiser?

SM: Hell no!

Me: Allright!

(head over to pub)

Me: Wow, that's a pretty nice 80" big screen

Waitress: Yeah, it only plays OSU football games too. Every friday we just loop the last 1 minute of the rose bowl vs Arizona State.

Waitress: What can I get you?

Me: How about a bass. And your number.

Waitress: Sure, I should probably tell you that we are required to sleep with all customers.

(later, at the car)

SM: All set, we took the liberty of replacing your carpet too, looked a little dirty. Oh, and we recovered your seats with new leather, and took the engine out to scrub it down. Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but we were a little worried that you didn't have any spare fuses for the stereo, so we stocked you up with 150 amp wafer fuses.

Me: Cool, what's the charge?

SM: Nothing man, it's all under warranty. BTW, we've got this Stillen S/C laying around, want it?

Me: Sure man

SM: Cool, we can probably put it on tomorrow morning, but it will take a few hours, all free of course. The pub opens at 9 AM though, and tomorrow is open mike day.

Me: Can I just move here?

SM: Sure, we just ask that you pay electricity and utilities, the apartments are above the showroom floor.

Me: Great, see ya in the morning!

Man, I love my dealer.