General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Smoked my buddies TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 03:33 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

and AGAIN...more quoting of MAGAZINE articles....right after the post in which you said you were going to pipe down about mag times.....:mad

Craig - Have you driven or raced a type-s?????
I said I would TRY not to quote...

Never ridden in one, or officially raced one, but I have messed around with a friend with a CL-S. He is QUICK.

BTW, everyone knows times that you achieve depend on track conditions, weather, weight, reaction, ect ect. But it's funny how all the mag times, although not what you officially go by, are faster than the Max times.

The best time I have found for a STOCK automagic 4th gen was 7.3, in a '95.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Hmm that seems hard to believe. 5spds have trouble and I seriously doubt a auto would even fair especially a 4th gen auto.
What does "especially a 4th gen" mean? Do you have your head in your *** russ? The 4th gen maxima is faster than the 5th gen, look at the 5th gen times and compare those to 4th gen time. I have driven both and have beaten a 2k SE 5spd before.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
8bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Paul2kGXE ran 15.4 with a cone intake... go back and do some research..

Paul2kGXE had an OSCAI, not a cone intake.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:32 PM

The CL-S and TL-S threads are cursed....

Is this what happens if the trolls from the acura forums don't come? Instead of fighting with them you fight with each other? Geeze you guys need to take deep breaths.

Stereodude
Old 12-05-2001, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

I said I would TRY not to quote...

Never ridden in one, or officially raced one, but I have messed around with a friend with a CL-S. He is QUICK.

BTW, everyone knows times that you achieve depend on track conditions, weather, weight, reaction, ect ect. But it's funny how all the mag times, although not what you officially go by, are faster than the Max times.

The best time I have found for a STOCK automagic 4th gen was 7.3, in a '95.

how is the fastest ever recorded 4th gen mag time of 15.2 seconds down the 1/4 mile better than the bests of 14.7 and 14.8 recorded by members on here??? one of them a friend of mine.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:08 AM

A stock Automagic 4th gen max is not faster than a TL-S unless the TL driver has TSA tunred on and fell asleep at the wheel at the same time! In steet racing sure anyone can win, but if your talking about the faster car, the 4th gen or 5th gen autos are not faster I assure you, and yet I adore Maximas.

I've had all three cars. 4th gen, 5thgen, and TL-s Even with slight mods on the 4th gen, still not faster. A TL-S with only header will make at the very least, no joke, 285-292hp at the crank. Stock, I ran a 14.9 and Acura uses POS MMX4 all weather tires. Simply changing tires, many type-s owners have achieved much better times stock. Acura under tires their cars. Adding more power to this car with the same tires is fighting yourself. The headers add power up high, and all the TL-S owners are waiting for this "RES" mod for $300, that ads serious power down low.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

how is the fastest ever recorded 4th gen mag time of 15.2 seconds down the 1/4 mile better than the bests of 14.7 and 14.8 recorded by members on here??? one of them a friend of mine.

well when a mag test cars the engines are not broken in. by the time we get our cars to track they are well broken in.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:21 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Still going?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NightRider

Paul2kGXE had an OSCAI, not a cone intake.
Paul had a JWT intake..
Old 12-06-2001, 06:08 AM

ChillWill2000 just posted up his times in the 5th Gen forum for his 2k/auto. 15.476 bone stock.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=82891

Personally, I think the Gen5/auto is faster than the Gen4/auto.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:09 AM
Administrator

no because the 5th Gen's can't redline and the 4th Gen's can
Originally posted by SteVTEC
ChillWill2000 just posted up his times in the 5th Gen forum for his 2k/auto. 15.476 bone stock.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=82891

Personally, I think the Gen5/auto is faster than the Gen4/auto.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
A stock Automagic 4th gen max is not faster than a TL-S unless the TL driver has TSA tunred on and fell asleep at the wheel at the same time! In steet racing sure anyone can win, but if your talking about the faster car, the 4th gen or 5th gen autos are not faster I assure you, and yet I adore Maximas.

I've had all three cars. 4th gen, 5thgen, and TL-s Even with slight mods on the 4th gen, still not faster. A TL-S with only header will make at the very least, no joke, 285-292hp at the crank. Stock, I ran a 14.9 and Acura uses POS MMX4 all weather tires. Simply changing tires, many type-s owners have achieved much better times stock. Acura under tires their cars. Adding more power to this car with the same tires is fighting yourself. The headers add power up high, and all the TL-S owners are waiting for this "RES" mod for $300, that ads serious power down low.
were not talking about stock vs. stock....the max in question here has intake and y-pipe. He DID beat a TL-S....
Old 12-06-2001, 06:39 AM

This is dumb coming from people that really race on the street.....half the time you are not racing the car anyway especially when numbers are this close...you are racing the driver...damn I know Acura TL-s's are fast..but you guys really act like they are unbeatable by a comparable car....im sure he's not saying he'll beat ALL Acura's but damn he beat this one....but hmmmm I guess he needs to lie to us..plus I know BriGuy wouldn't back him up if he was bullshyttn....

And for the record...we (midwest) have some of the fastest maxima's as well

not me tho
Old 12-06-2001, 07:49 AM

power shift
Old 12-06-2001, 07:51 AM
Administrator

power shift
but you will agree.. leaving it in gear the 4th Gen is faster
Old 12-06-2001, 08:04 AM

Power falls off a lot on the Gen4 so redlining would probably slow you down a good bit. This is how my AV6 is (power peak at 5500rpm)
Old 12-06-2001, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Power falls off a lot on the Gen4 so redlining would probably slow you down a good bit. This is how my AV6 is (power peak at 5500rpm)
well everytime they both race.. the 4th Gen's come out on top

check the pike video .. oh oh.. my cylinders
Old 12-06-2001, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum

This is true guys. I usually race with VSA off and it makes a big difference in close races. Also, another thing to point out is that not everyone here posts about the other times that they might have lost to a TL-S. Not to take away from anything, but I'm positive that both cars are fast and any one can beat the other if the right conditions are present. You simply cannot generalize based on a couple of your own experiences and a couple of other people's experiences on this board. I think it happens all the time. People even in the Acura board love to post about the time they killed a .... and forget the time they got whipped by one. What do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:01 AM

If u read this board often u will see quite few I got killed by A....

We always losing to sumthing
Old 12-06-2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by vandy786
Not to take away from anything, but I'm positive that both cars are fast and any one can beat the other if the right conditions are present.
I've been saying this in thread after thread after "TL vs Max" flame thread. Both cars are fast.

I just wish that some of the TL people would stop coming over here and flaming us and accusing us of lying

I've killed a 3.2TL-P in my Accord V6 w/intake and plugs (top-ended it, my 3rd gear is taller)

I've also lost to a 3.2TL-P with the same mods (toll-booth grand prix)

And I've seen Maxima drivers here admitting losses to TL's as well, so I don't think they'd hide it. Most of these guys are above that
Old 12-06-2001, 09:09 AM
Administrator

i have never ever ever ever been beaten by a TL-S .. not Stock.. not now..
Originally posted by vandy786

This is true guys. I usually race with VSA off and it makes a big difference in close races. Also, another thing to point out is that not everyone here posts about the other times that they might have lost to a TL-S. Not to take away from anything, but I'm positive that both cars are fast and any one can beat the other if the right conditions are present. You simply cannot generalize based on a couple of your own experiences and a couple of other people's experiences on this board. I think it happens all the time. People even in the Acura board love to post about the time they killed a .... and forget the time they got whipped by one. What do you guys think?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:49 AM
nc00max

I would definitely agree with this. It's not like it's hard to shift it yourself, but we shouldn't have to. I'm still curious as to why Nissan would cut out the best 600rpms in every gear. Kinda defeats the purpose of adding any power to the engine in the first place if you ask me. I really can't complain, because I should have just gotten a 5spd, but it ended up being cheaper for me to get a 2k auto than a 2k1 5spd. Oh well...

Old 12-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not with a CAI. The sucker keeps on going.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:15 AM

I lost to a CL-S at the track. No biggie.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:16 AM

I have lost to minivans, at least until I reached 25 miles. Most of the time both parties did not recognized that the other person want to race. I have not been in a race when both of us know, and both of us got good launches and gave it our all. Most of the time I think the other guy wants to race, or vice versa. Therefore, one of us isn't totally into it and think the other guy is slow. I never never get the rpm up and dump the clutch yet in any of my cars. Key word is YET. I am slow to the draw in the first gear, and often fall behind until the 2-3rd switch.

I have the say though, Maxima drivers are usually better looking than TLS/CLS drivers.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:34 AM

Raced 00Max

I raced NC00Max and he is right. But here are a couple of other details.. Though I have the (auto)Intake, ECU and Y I also have 17's and a stereo system so that'll eat a few 10ths(Rims alone used add .2 to my 1/4 times) off the line. None-the-less, I think he still would have beat me off the line if I stripped down to match up with him.. As far what he has, I'd say he didn't have a stereo system and he had GXE rims.

I've raced Paul a million times.. Both Paul and I have 15.4 times with just the JWT intake with factory rims but he ran something like 15.42 and I ran 15.48 or 9. He's always nudged me out even outside of our best times.

I can crush a 4th gen(auto) with a Y, intake, and exhaust almost instantly; I've done so against a 1995 SE twice in the same day with my current mods. I surely hope the TLS is slower than a Y, intake and exhuast'd 4th gen cause one of our local members just got one I I'd love to whipp up on him..LOL!!

Originally posted by nc00max

Well, I recently had the chance to play with a 4G with JWT intake, y-pipe, and JWT ECU, and I was noticeably quicker off the line, not once but several times. He was even with me above 90 and was able to pass me when I hit my limiter. So yes, I would go so far as to say that I can beat a similarly modded 4G off the line, hence in a relative sense, I'm not slow down low.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:11 PM
nc00max

Re: Raced 00Max

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
I raced NC00Max and he is right. But here are a couple of other details.. Though I have the (auto)Intake, ECU and Y I also have 17's and a stereo system so that'll eat a few 10ths(Rims alone used add .2 to my 1/4 times) off the line. None-the-less, I think he still would have beat me off the line if I stripped down to match up with him.. As far what he has, I'd say he didn't have a stereo system and he had GXE rims.

I've raced Paul a million times.. Both Paul and I have 15.4 times with just the JWT intake with factory rims but he ran something like 15.42 and I ran 15.48 or 9. He's always nudged me out even outside of our best times.

I can crush a 4th gen(auto) with a Y, intake, and exhaust almost instantly; I've done so against a 1995 SE twice in the same day with my current mods. I surely hope the TLS is slower than a Y, intake and exhuast'd 4th gen cause one of our local members just got one I I'd love to whipp up on him..LOL!!

Yep, I still have the stock 16" alloys on there, and the only thing that I can think of to match his stereo system would be my tool kit which probably weighs around 60lbs. or so(learned the hard way with previous car). I could definitely see it going either was with both cars stripped down. After seeing what that ECU does (raced another 4G auto w/ intake and y-pipe a couple days earlier-big difference) I wish they'd come out with one for a 5G. And I also found that not power shifting would put him in the lead every time right before shift points. Maybe they should come out with a TCM mod to fix that too.

But at higher speeds, I've found that I have a fairly defined advantage over a CL-S, where at lower speeds, his extra gear gives him a small advantage. Like everything else in street racing, two evenly matched cars could go either way pretty easily. But I think that just adds to the fun of it, as long as you can find an evenly matched car. Around here it's usually one extreme (stock Civic w/fart can) or another (loaded out Trans Am that runs 11's).

Old 12-06-2001, 03:16 PM

I don't think those 15.2 and 15.3 maxima mag times where with the Auto, where they?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

So? You guys have no power above 5800 rpm!

Old 12-06-2001, 05:57 PM
Administrator

keep reading this thread .. apparently they do
Old 12-06-2001, 06:24 PM

Hey, give respect to the type S. I raced one from a roll (5mph, the light turned green right before we came to a stop) and he pulled a good car on me right off the light. By 60mph, I was half a car back, and by 90mph I was inbetween his front and back doors. Hey they are pretty quick. I've been to the track one time and I ran a 15.0@93.5
Old 12-06-2001, 06:25 PM

4th Gen Auto vs. 5th Gen Auto...

Well, I don't know enough about the TL-S or CL-S to talk about it so I won't. But now comes into discussion the 4th Gen auto vs. 5th Gen auto. Who comes out on top (FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)? 4TH GEN. I have a 1996 GXE auto with no power mods (do light wheels count?). He (my friend) has a 2000 Maxima SE auto with no power mods. We raced with overdrive on 3-4 times and I came out ahead every time (we went 0-85 MpH). We raced with overdrive off 2 times, and I came out ahead again (didn't see a real difference). He's not a .Org member but even if you ask him he will tell you he thinks my car is faster. I don't know why, but he will admit it. Hence I can conclude that if the winner & loser both admit it, the 4th gen Maxima is faster than the 5th gen. Magazines say it, SprintMax says it, and now I say it. Believe it.
-Cyrus
Old 12-06-2001, 06:30 PM

Hey, give respect to the type S. I raced one from a roll (5mph, the light turned green right before we came to a stop) and he pulled a good car on me right off the light. By 60mph, I was half a car back, and by 90mph I was inbetween his front and back doors. Hey they are pretty quick. I've been to the track one time and I ran a 15.0@93.5
Old 12-06-2001, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Re: 4th Gen Auto vs. 5th Gen Auto...

and thats the bottom line

Originally posted by Vyrus
Well, I don't know enough about the TL-S or CL-S to talk about it so I won't. But now comes into discussion the 4th Gen auto vs. 5th Gen auto. Who comes out on top (FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)? 4TH GEN. I have a 1996 GXE auto with no power mods (do light wheels count?). He (my friend) has a 2000 Maxima SE auto with no power mods. We raced with overdrive on 3-4 times and I came out ahead every time (we went 0-85 MpH). We raced with overdrive off 2 times, and I came out ahead again (didn't see a real difference). He's not a .Org member but even if you ask him he will tell you he thinks my car is faster. I don't know why, but he will admit it. Hence I can conclude that if the winner & loser both admit it, the 4th gen Maxima is faster than the 5th gen. Magazines say it, SprintMax says it, and now I say it. Believe it.
-Cyrus
Old 12-06-2001, 06:39 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: 4th Gen Auto vs. 5th Gen Auto...

Let me clarify what you said. Your 4th gen beat your friends 5th gen. Not all 4th gens are as fast as yours. Remember your 4th gen is a gxe, the lightest Maxima built except for 1st and 2nd gens probably. His 5th gen is a SE and it adds much more weight and I am sure he had either the 16" wheels or 17" 55lb each wheels which makes a huge difference on power. If he had the 5th gen GXE auto he would have taken you defintely. The 4th gen vs 5th gen auto argument is useless until you run the same cars same stock form same model against each other. We know which one is really faster. 5th gen.

Originally posted by Vyrus
-Cyrus

Old 12-06-2001, 06:39 PM

So? You guys have no power above 6400 rpm!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: 4th Gen Auto vs. 5th Gen Auto...

bottom line its a 4th gen and a 5th gen..

how do you know what each of them have in their cars? how do you know the weight differences of each person... how do you know that his GXE isn't heavier than his friends 5th Gen?

thats right you don't.. so you will have to just STFU on this one

the 4th Gen is faster

i don't know why i am even arguing with your ignorant *** .. there are 3 occurances in this thread of 4th Gen beating 5th Gen's but you are still arguing

Let me clarify what you said. Your 4th gen beat your friends 5th gen. Not all 4th gens are as fast as yours. Remember your 4th gen is a gxe, the lightest Maxima built except for 1st and 2nd gens probably. His 5th gen is a SE and it adds much more weight and I am sure he had either the 16" wheels or 17" 55lb each wheels which makes a huge difference on power. If he had the 5th gen GXE auto he would have taken you defintely. The 4th gen vs 5th gen auto argument is useless until you run the same cars same stock form same model against each other. We know which one is really faster. 5th gen.

Old 12-06-2001, 06:58 PM

I must say as the previous owner of all generation Maxima's and a couple Z's, currently a 2k2SE auto and 97 Se auto. I had a 2k1 Se auto (before it was totalled) and I must say that the 4th gen auto is faster stock for stock. I will admit that I got beat by a few 4th gens including a stock 98 Se auto. As far as Mag test goes no Max auto sincethe 95SE autointhe May 1995 issue of C&D has hit a 7.3 sec 0-60 in any of the major Car mags. Now my 2k2 vs. a 4th gen auto stock, well
Old 12-06-2001, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I must say as the previous owner of all generation Maxima's and a couple Z's, currently a 2k2SE auto and 97 Se auto. I had a 2k1 Se auto (before it was totalled) and I must say that the 4th gen auto is faster stock for stock. I will admit that I got beat by a few 4th gens including a stock 98 Se auto. As far as Mag test goes no Max auto sincethe 95SE autointhe May 1995 issue of C&D has hit a 7.3 sec 0-60 in any of the major Car mags. Now my 2k2 vs. a 4th gen auto stock, well
Old 12-06-2001, 07:01 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: 4th Gen Auto vs. 5th Gen Auto...

Sorry but I have owned more maximas than you and have been here probably longer than you. The 4th gen IS NOT faster than the 5th gen. You guys have a hard time accepting this and I don't understand why!

I beat 4th gens all the time. If they have more mods they get tougher like Ants! He has more mods than me, and we have a hard time beating each other now. It's either me or him. It takes more mods to beat a 5th gen, hmmm must be something odd about that.

I don't need to know what they weigh, I know what the cars weight from the factory and thats proof enough. You don't know yourself, so whats your point?

bottom line its a 4th gen and a 5th gen..

how do you know what each of them have in their cars? how do you know the weight differences of each person... how do you know that his GXE isn't heavier than his friends 5th Gen?

thats right you don't.. so you will have to just STFU on this one

the 4th Gen is faster

i don't know why i am even arguing with your ignorant *** .. there are 3 occurances in this thread of 4th Gen beating 5th Gen's but you are still arguing

Quick Reply: Smoked my buddies TL Type-S