General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Update on dealership/car story

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 07:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ANOTHER Update on dealership/car story

OKay, here is (supposedly) my story of what is up with my POS '98.
First off, I need to praise Middletown Nissan's service department. They are honest and up-front, and I like the people.

The tires are making the noise (as seen in previous posts, a whumming, groaning), not wheel bearings. I'm not sure I entirely believe this, but I don't really feel like dealing with it at the moment. The noise is still somewhat intermittant, so, I will deal with it at some point.

The clicking when I change gears: the bad dealership (for those in CT, it is Executive Nissan in North Haven) told me it was my brakes and charged me to replace the pads.

Riiiight, well, the good dealership (as seen above in the laudation) told me it was loose bolts on the front axel. They tightened them, and badda-boom, NO MORE CLICKIES! They are good!

Interesting to note that Dealership #1 a)couldn't identify problem, b)told me the WRONG thing and charged me to fix nothing, c)told me noise was normal, d)allowed me to drive in a very unsafe condition. ALSO INTERESTING TO NOTE, while at Dealership #2, they checked up on my extended warrantee. Dealership #1 lied to me about my suspension being under warrantee.

Apparently it was. I can still get it replaced for free if I want, which I may do, even with the aftermarket parts, because Dealership #2 said that it's OK (like I said, good peeps).

I am planning to go to dealership #1 with serious complaints, and I fully expect to have to press charges if they do not refund my $.

I may consider going on a lengthy crusade against the Executive group; I have extended

family members who are in the business of legal services (lawyers gah! ). The whole group (nissan, acura, honda, etc.) has a horrible reputation. I and other people I know including my mother and friends have had serious problems with their service and sales departments.

Lastly, I test drove the 2k2 maxima. Wow. What a nice friggin' car. I am seriously considering going further into debt at this time...especially since I am just not happy with my current car. I just can't trust it.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

stop modding!
Old 12-05-2001, 08:03 AM
Administrator

don't buy another AUTO
Old 12-05-2001, 08:04 AM

I hardly have any.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Lime
I hardly have any.
i think you need to feel my stick so you will stop buying AUTO's
Old 12-05-2001, 08:16 AM

Well if I get the 2k2 it will be stick. I may just trade mine in as well. Not even sure yet. I just know I want to get away from mine.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:22 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Another satisfied Minima owner.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Another satisfied Minima owner.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:18 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by SprintMax
i think you need to feel my stick so you will stop buying AUTO's
didn't u say u have a short shifter?
Old 12-05-2001, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by DanNY

didn't u say u have a short shifter?
yes but it makes everything smoother no grinding maximizes performance
Old 12-05-2001, 12:40 PM

Re: Update on dealership/car story

Riiiight, well, the good dealership (as seen above in the laudation) told me it was loose bolts on the front axel. They tightened them, and badda-boom, NO MORE CLICKIES! They are good!

Umm . . . did u just say "laudation" j/k
Old 12-05-2001, 12:47 PM

uh, yeah.

from www.m-w.com

Main Entry: lau·da·tion
Pronunciation: lo-'dA-sh&n
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
: the act of praising : EULOGY
Old 12-05-2001, 01:19 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

uh, yeah.

from www.m-w.com

SMARRT! go you!
Old 12-05-2001, 04:32 PM

Good luck in your battle with these crooks. Give 'em hell. I too have been through 12 rounds with a certain Nissan dealership and don't think we should have to deal with it. Guess your joining the 5th Gen forum soon
Old 12-05-2001, 04:40 PM

ok life's lesson

Yes there is much incompetence in life. But to talk about a lawsuit and/or refund, that's crazy. You really want them to pull the pads out and reinstall your old ones? IMHO a person should be aware of what condition their brakes are in, they're easy enough to check when you rotate the tires. Would I have done what you did? Sure, I'd let them replace the brakes if I thought it'd cure the problem. It didn't. But now you have new brakes on the car. One less thing to worry about. In life we should enjoy ourselves, not look for lengthy battles and crusades.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:52 PM

uh, yeah.

from www.m-w.com

Lime, you gots ta keep yer werds short n'easy to unnerstand, ya hear? Most of us don't know them callidge werds! Only werd I thunk of that's more than two parts is pickuptruck!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:44 AM

Re: ok life's lesson

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
Yes there is much incompetence in life. But to talk about a lawsuit and/or refund, that's crazy. You really want them to pull the pads out and reinstall your old ones? IMHO a person should be aware of what condition their brakes are in, they're easy enough to check when you rotate the tires. Would I have done what you did? Sure, I'd let them replace the brakes if I thought it'd cure the problem. It didn't. But now you have new brakes on the car. One less thing to worry about. In life we should enjoy ourselves, not look for lengthy battles and crusades.
I knew what condition my brakes were in; they were FINE. 85% left on the front, 95% left ont he back. I changed them recently. They were fine and the problem WAS NOT THE BRAKES. You might want to read what I wrote. The problem was loose bolts on the front axel--something a service department a) should know, b) shouldn't say is "normal," c) and c) shouldn't let a customer drive around in a car in that condition (unsafe). I know many other people who have had problems with not only this particular dealership, but the other dealerships in the Executive group. I want my $100 back for their stupid brake job that wasn't needed, for my time that was wasted, and for their idiocy. They also lied about my warrantee that I PAY FOR. They are sleazy and underhanded. I feel no mercy when it comes to getting my money back for their incompetency.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:11 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: ok life's lesson

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

She doesnt seem to be on a tirade looking for all kinds of extra "compensation." She just wants her money back, that she was cheated out of.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:08 PM

Well I plan on writing a letter and collaborating all the troubles I hear about with their group in the letter. The letter will go to the president of the Executive group, CC the managers for the branches that are troublesome. I'd love to take legal action though--not like I will, but it would FORCE them to clean up their act!!! I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't know much about cars and takes their cars to be fixed there. Really sorry!!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 12:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Lime. You know another reason for the brake job might have been the following. They could not find the problem so they just made up a cause so they could just charge you more when you came back. There is a distint possiblity that they did not even give a crap if the new brakes would fix it or not. Only in getting you to pay more when you came back in. If you have a dated receipt of the brake parts/work, you should have a pretty good case w/ Nissan or small claims court.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:54 PM

well, yes, there was NO REASON to change the brakes. And I told them the noise was still there when I picked up the car. They insisted it was normal. Dude, they should not be allowed to "fix" cars at all. Loose bolts on the front axle!!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well, yes, there was NO REASON to change the brakes. And I told them the noise was still there when I picked up the car. They insisted it was normal. Dude, they should not be allowed to "fix" cars at all. Loose bolts on the front axle!!!!
ok you sound like your car was leaking gas on the exhaust manifold or you only have one lug nut.

let's put this into perspective...so there was a loose nut on the axle. where was this nut? the main nut? i doubt it, there's a pin that goes across it. what nut are u talking about?
carrier bearing? the axle is a stick with two rubber boots on it...find me a nut or a bolt on it. the other side (pass side) there may be a carrier bearing on it that's attached to the engine via bracket...but that's also not a life threatening piece.

so they changed your brakes...did they ask you to? i'm sure they did..no shop would do something w/o asking u to. if they didn't ask..why did u pay for it and if they did ask why did u let them if u know u didn't need brakes??

now who's to blame? if customer OKs a brake job a shop is going to say no?!?
Old 12-18-2001, 09:15 AM

ANOTHER update!!!

Rear brakes beginning to sieze the past 2 weeks; probably what that noise was all the time. Not sure what the problem is, maybe the caliper pistons? Anyway, I am about to go to work this morning, when the noise won't stop. Friggin brakes won't disengage. I park the car (no ebrake this time), and call my boss, then the dealership. Dealership is really busy today so I may not get the POS back until tomorrow. My boss brought me back to work, but now I have to rely on other people to get to/from anywhere...and I needed to go food shopping agh!
Old 12-18-2001, 09:41 AM

Re: ANOTHER Update on dealership/car story

Hey Lime

I've had a terrible experience with a dealership too. All I can suggest, if you have everything to back it up, tell them to reimburse you for the replacement you did, and give them the choice of removing the new pads and putting the old ones in at no cost to you.

Otherwise, (if you really want to give them what they deserve), take them to small claims court and you'll msot likely win. Also, if you have a local newspaper, you can inform the dealership that you will be writing in to the newspaper column regarding your experience. Last thing they want is bad publicity, TRUST ME!!! Just make sure you can back it up entirely, make all your arguments factual, no opinions. Otherwise, they'll probably sue you for defamation.

I've had a certain negative experienced with an anonymous Nissan Dealership in Farmington Hills, MI (heheh, how anonymous can we get??), they're on Grand River Ave (can I get even more anonymous???)

I got my car from them in July of this year, said it had ABS. It didn't. They wouldn't reduce the price (I had paid for it already), saying they did not price the car with ABS feature.

I got the car in the middle of summer, and despite the guarantee of a thorough service inspection, my A/C did not have enough r134a and I ended up with no cold air, even during the night! THAT LOW!!!

I dealt with the used car sales manager Mr D P (anonymous again), and after I bought the car, he never returned my calls, not ONCE!!! For over a week, I left messages on his office and cell phone, because I wanted to have my car checked out and he never returned my calls. Surprisingly, he always returned my calls immediately before I bought the car.

I started to doubt the quality of their service, so I paid $160 at Tamarroff Nissan to have an inspection, and presto, the same day they tell me: No ABS, low refrigerant, pulsating brakes (rotors needed to be turned).

So with this inspection report from another Nissan dealership (I paid $160 for this!!!), I went back to this &#$%$# dealership and waited for over ONE hour on a Friday evening after work to talk to this sales manager because I just had it waiting for him, and he had the nerve to send 2 people out to tell me he was busy with someone else and for me to come back the following Monday. Yeah RIGHT - I waited over a week for a phone call after over 20 messages, and you expect me to come back on Monday? So I wait, and later, I find out he left and sent someone else to tell me that he'd already gone.

So I about blew my top, and I spoke to the dealership manager, and had a conference call with the sales manager. Got my car in, had the rotors turned and the A/C recharged.

Now, the best part. They warped my rotors, didn't realize it while they drove the car from the service department to the showroom, gave me the keys and said my car was all set to go. As soon as I hit the brakes, my foot was travelling up and down, they screwed up the rotors so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for quality service!

So I got them to put in new front rotors and pads(no charge to me, but I did pay $160 for the inspection elsewhere, so I did 'pay' for it somewhat), and I'm never going back to them for service or anything.

Ohhh, they also dented my door and I've got no proof that they did it. I told them about it, but they didn't even bother looking at the dent to see how bad it was. That's how much they care about customers.

I figure, since they're selling Porsches, Audis, VWs, Nissans, Mazdas and a ton of other new cars, us folks who buy used cars from them just don't matter.

WELL, SORRY BUDDY!!! I've been telling everyone I know about my experience with this dealership, and if any of you are in the Farmington Hills area, don't buy or service your car at this dealership.

Ahh, screw anonimity. The dealership is Bill Cook Imports on Grand River in Farmington Hills. I'm just telling the truth about my experience, and I've got all the service records to back me up, along with the letter I faxed in telling them to stop sending me service reminders. Not my fault they acted like total jerks!

BTW, I never received an apology from Bill Cook Nissan for all the trouble I had to go through with them: I drove down over 10 times after work because they never returned my calls, I waited until 7, 8pm in the evenings just to talk to the guy, the guy blows me off and disappears without even the decency to tell me in person? An apology was definitely deserved!

My recommendations, Tamarroff Nissan on Telegraph, I have more faith in their service and their courtesy!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 09:43 AM
Administrator

did you really type all that ****?
Old 12-18-2001, 09:46 AM

that sucks. the first dealership also scratched my stock wing.

here's more info on the car as it stands:
the noise they said was tires was the brakes NOT disengaging in the rear. at least, that's what I can gather from the following experiences:
  • when the rear brakes were completely changed, the noise was gone for 1+ months
  • when the weather is wet, the noise comes back in full force
  • when I use the e-brake the noise is worse
  • when I let off the brakes, the noise is more apt to occur
  • when I parked the car this morning (no ebrake this time), the car groaned when it rolled that tiny bit forward

I told them to look at the caliper pistons, because those have looked nasty since I got the car. I am not 100% sure about this; I thought yeah maybe still wheel bearings, but, reagrdless, they are so busy that who knows when I canget my POS back now. It sucks! Plus I have to pay even more labor and diagnosis (though they should wave the latter because they messed up). The guy didn't want to listen to me; I don't think he likes girls telling him how to do his job.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
did you really type all that ****?
Yesssssssssssssssiiiirrr

One small step for Max, one huge leap for Max-kind!
Old 12-18-2001, 11:16 AM

hey, he can type what he wants!

anyone got any other ideas about my sled?
Old 12-18-2001, 11:21 AM
Administrator

uh huh.. you tell me to log on to yahoo.. you not there
Old 12-18-2001, 11:52 AM

REVENGE

There are a few things you can do:
1) Go look at a new car and swing the door (hard) into another one
2) Look at car with full soda and ACCIDENTLY spill it on dash.
3) have your keys hanging out of your purse and drag it along the side of some cars.
4) You can ask to take there car out for a weekend test drive and put thousand miles on it, bring it back and say "No Thanks, you people suck!"
5) It is your god given right to stand out front and protest

Are these things juvenile? yes. Are they nice? no. Will you feel better?

2 out of 3 arent bad!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:53 PM

I dropped the car off at 9 and they still haven't looked at it. I dunno how I am going to do anything. THIS SUCKS.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:13 PM

Re: REVENGE

Originally posted by PhantonR

There are a few things you can do:
1) Go look at a new car and swing the door (hard) into another one
2) Look at car with full soda and ACCIDENTLY spill it on dash.
3) have your keys hanging out of your purse and drag it along the side of some cars.
4) You can ask to take there car out for a weekend test drive and put thousand miles on it, bring it back and say "No Thanks, you people suck!"
5) It is your god given right to stand out front and protest

Are these things juvenile? yes. Are they nice? no. Will you feel better?

2 out of 3 arent bad!
Ouch! I always like talking the talk about revenge, but I'd never do it. You just know the dealer would end up screwing someone else over. Someone who'll get the repainted door ( with cheep paint) the half-a**'d carpet cleaning ), or whatever shady dealers do...

I know the feeling of wanting revenge. Feels good when you do it, but later on you might feel bad...

Just my .02
Old 12-18-2001, 01:28 PM

sweet legal revenge in the form of a lawsuit would be more appropriate. Why would I harm cars anyway? I doubt I could bring myself to do that.

Anyway, they just called. Somehow the cables in the back are siezing (gee, did I not say that?), and they are going to replace them and the rotors/pads. $350. SUCKS. The cost of the parts are pretty high though, so I guess it;s about right. Ironically, I could do it myself, but the car is stuck there. v_v LET ME DO IT! ARGH!

I have no way to get there, get to work, get home from work...........................
Old 12-18-2001, 01:53 PM

sweet legal revenge in the form of a lawsuit would be more appropriate. Why would I harm cars anyway? I doubt I could bring myself to do that.

Anyway, they just called. Somehow the cables in the back are siezing (gee, did I not say that?), and they are going to replace them and the rotors/pads. $350. SUCKS. The cost of the parts are pretty high though, so I guess it;s about right. Ironically, I could do it myself, but the car is stuck there. v_v LET ME DO IT! ARGH!

I have no way to get there, get to work, get home from work...........................
I'll be your chauffeur! Hmmm, what could you do in return...
Old 12-18-2001, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: ANOTHER Update on dealership/car story

Originally posted by pocketrocket
I've had a certain negative experienced with an anonymous Nissan Dealership in Farmington Hills, MI (heheh, how anonymous can we get??), they're on Grand River Ave (can I get even more anonymous???)

Ahh, screw anonimity. The dealership is Bill Cook Imports on Grand River in Farmington Hills. I'm just telling the truth about my experience, and I've got all the service records to back me up, along with the letter I faxed in telling them to stop sending me service reminders. Not my fault they acted like total jerks!

BTW, I never received an apology from Bill Cook Nissan for all the trouble I had to go through with them: I drove down over 10 times after work because they never returned my calls, I waited until 7, 8pm in the evenings just to talk to the guy, the guy blows me off and disappears without even the decency to tell me in person? An apology was definitely deserved!
No, No, No... That's Bill Crook. I tried to buy a car there only to find out they suck. The "salesman"... lets call him Mark T. let me take a 2002 Automatic for a test drive (this is back in mid Sept). So I come back from the test drive and want to order a 2000 6spd w/ HLSD. He tells me he can't let me order it. He takes my name and number and all my information and says he'll call me as soon as the 6 speeds hit the lot. So I didn't hear from him and start seeing people report that their local dealers are getting them in stock. So I show up at Bill Crook and find Mark T. to ask about them. He says they don't have any still. Oddly enough he can't find any of my information in his files that he wrote down from the last time I was there. So he writes down my information again and assures me they'll call me as soon as the 6's hit the lot.

He also assured me that there were no 6-speeds in the Detroit Metro area. He even checked as far away as Ann Arbor. I work in Ann Arbor and for S&G I go to Ann Arbor Nissan the next day where they have 2 6-speeds on the lot. So I took one for a test drive and loved it. They would let me order it, but I couldn't get the price I wanted. Talk about a start contrast in dealers.

Bottom line: I ordered one from a dealer in Toronto and am Saving quite a few thousand dollars.

Stereodude
Old 12-18-2001, 03:51 PM

well, they treat me pretty well...they finished the car and called me on my way home. I got him, and he is quiet!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 05:51 PM

well, they treat me pretty well...they finished the car and called me on my way home. I got him, and he is quiet!!!
Odd most people think their cars are female. Apparently you're in the minority.

Stereodude
Old 12-18-2001, 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problems with Decormier in Manchester, I went there because the car was backfiring, and they told me that the switch that turns the reverse lights on was unplugged, and charged me $75 to reconnect it, and as I start the car to leave it backfires right in the parking lot, so I go and ask them if just heard, and the tech tells me that I need to a $400 tune-up before they can look at it further. Anyways they said that when thay started it, it started fine so I assume they only started it once and figured that was it, what gets me ****ed is that I gave detailed explainations of the problem, and all the things I have tried to fix the problem myslef, included everything in the 60k tuneup, but of course they tell me I need there 60k tuneup just so they can look at it further. Anyways maybe I will try Middletown Nissan, Pete used to work there and says good things about them, plus I literally work 2 buildings down from them.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Stereodude

Odd most people think their cars are female. Apparently you're in the minority.

Stereodude
Lime is female..
Old 12-18-2001, 06:38 PM

I wouldnt even wait this long to send out some nice certified letters .

Where I work... we threaten... ON AVERAGE 2 - 3 business/month... with lawsuits due to stupid ****. Have we actually EVER had to go through with one? Not since the store opened

People get scared... especially when they know they're wrong.

- mattsy

Quick Reply: Update on dealership/car story