General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima is dead. New engine being put in...READ

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 04:46 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Maxima is dead. New engine being put in...READ

Not my Maxima of course. But my sisters. Her '95 GXE with 169,830 miles was announced dead @ 4pm monday by Bill ray Nissan. Her transmission is fine. Her engine was smoking everytime she used it, I donno exactly what was wrong with it.

Now here's the exciting part. We can't afford to get her a new car, so were having Nissan put a brand new engine in it! Me and the guy who works their were talkin and we both thought she should just get another used Max for around that price, but nope the parents won't listen to us.

So in goes a brand new engine. My moms says their putting in a 2001 engine in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would this baby fit right in ? (and work with a '95 tranny??) I am sure she is wrong, she knows NOTHING about cars. I think he is just putting a brand new VQ engine in their, and he is doin a complete tranny flush. Either way it's going to run AMAZINGLY. This is gonna be pretty cool to see happen.

What do ya'll think about this?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:59 PM

Re: Maxima is dead. New engine being put in...READ

I agree with the dude in the shop, get another used car. If I'm not mistaken there is no such thing as a new engine--I'd question whether the remanuf. is done by Nissan (doubtful) or some shop that sells this stuff and ships nationwide ie engine rebuilder. They take broken cores like your sistas, bore it out use new rings etc. The fuel system, ecu will probably be from your sister's car.

If the latter is true, the guts of the motor are only as good as the rebuilder. Since they don't get paid much I don't trust the quality. The Nissan dealer is walking a tight rope--they already told you how much they're gonna charge. So when they go and get a remanuf, they will spend as little as possible, but at the same time, they don't want to ever see you again under warranty. That means if something goes wrong before the warranty is out, they have to eat the labor and possibly pull the motor back out.

It's very rare that an engine swap is worth the $$$, unless you can do the labor yourself imho.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Maxima is dead. New engine being put in...READ

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
I agree with the dude in the shop, get another used car. If I'm not mistaken there is no such thing as a new engine--I'd question whether the remanuf. is done by Nissan (doubtful) or some shop that sells this stuff and ships nationwide ie engine rebuilder. They take broken cores like your sistas, bore it out use new rings etc. The fuel system, ecu will probably be from your sister's car.

If the latter is true, the guts of the motor are only as good as the rebuilder. Since they don't get paid much I don't trust the quality. The Nissan dealer is walking a tight rope--they already told you how much they're gonna charge. So when they go and get a remanuf, they will spend as little as possible, but at the same time, they don't want to ever see you again under warranty. That means if something goes wrong before the warranty is out, they have to eat the labor and possibly pull the motor back out.

It's very rare that an engine swap is worth the $$$, unless you can do the labor yourself imho.
It's going to be a total of an upwards of $6,000. (Donno if i mentioned that above) And John (the guy I talked to) said that it will be a brand new engine. He was goin on and on about how smoothly it will run, and that she'll have to break it in, ect ect. So unless he is flat out lyin' to me, she is gettin a new engine in there.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Maxima is dead. New engine being put in...READ

Originally posted by Craig Mack

It's going to be a total of an upwards of $6,000. (Donno if i mentioned that above) And John (the guy I talked to) said that it will be a brand new engine. He was goin on and on about how smoothly it will run, and that she'll have to break it in, ect ect. So unless he is flat out lyin' to me, she is gettin a new engine in there.
That's a total rip off! Go to www.car-part.com and look at how cheap you can get a low mileage engine for. I found a 95 motor with 2K miles on it for $600, this price includes nice low mileage fuel injectors and a bunch of other sensor connected to the motor. When you buy a "new" motor they just put all your old parts back on top of it and the car won't be as realiable as a low mileage used motor with new sensors and such IMO. So say if you get a low mileage used motor for $600-1000 and have it installed by a none nissan mechanic for $700-1200, you will only pay a total of $1300-2200. But hay it's you parents money..

Also a 4th gen with 167K miles on it is only worth about 5-6 grand in good condition. You could probably sell the car to a junk yard for 500-1000 bucks and put the 6 grand for the motor swap towards a 7+ thousand dollar car.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2001, 05:57 PM

Yeah, seriously. 5-6k for a 95 motor is pretty ummm ... rediculous? You could get a S/C, a motor, as well as the install of both for that price.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:19 PM

I KNOW it fellas!

I will try to talk some since into their azzes, but you know how they go. My mom nags my Dad, and he just gives in. But I will try to have a man 2 man talk with him.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:33 PM

If its from the dealer, guaranteed its a new engine.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:39 PM

Old 12-05-2001, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Hi deezo
Old 12-05-2001, 07:31 PM

Old 12-05-2001, 08:37 PM

Just for kicks go to ebay and select search then completed items. There are alot of 4th gens going for $6000. Of course none of them have a new engine in them.

Then take your sisters max sell it for $1000 to me and I'll put a 3.5 liter in it. hehe...

Or heck the 3.5 liter new can't cost much more then the 3.0 vq.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Geez! $6k!!! A 95 GXE with 170k miles will be LUCKY to get 6k for the entire thing. Man, I would just chaulk it up as a loss and get something else. Either that or get the dealer to find a rebuilt engine for not even half the cost.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:30 AM

mention this to the dealer

Since it's a "NEW" engine, then they wont be needing anything from the old one. Tell them to remove it, set it aside, and return it to the owners. Don't think so. Put some grease marks on the intake manifold and fuel system, and see if they find their way into the "NEW" engine.

These items are usually remanufactured, just like starters, alternators, power steering pumps, steering rackes, brake calipers. $6000 is absolutely ridiculous, dealer has factored in a lot of fudge into the quote.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:09 AM

Re: mention this to the dealer

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Since it's a "NEW" engine, then they wont be needing anything from the old one. Tell them to remove it, set it aside, and return it to the owners. Don't think so. Put some grease marks on the intake manifold and fuel system, and see if they find their way into the "NEW" engine.

These items are usually remanufactured, just like starters, alternators, power steering pumps, steering rackes, brake calipers. $6000 is absolutely ridiculous, dealer has factored in a lot of fudge into the quote.
I have had remanufactured motors which didn't come from the dealership. Anytime you buy a part from the dealership its new, not like when you get a part from Pep Boys. My grandfather needed a new block for his Ford van and the dealer put a new engine in it, not a remanufactured one. I doubt that the dealerships will go to and engine remanufacturing company to buy an engine for a car they already make an engine for.
Old 12-06-2001, 05:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

And will come with 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty too.