General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

buying extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM

buying extended warranty

Saw a commercial on TV about US Fidelis. They basically say they provide warranty to cover any mechanical problem with your car. Anybody have any experience with them or with similar companies. Wondering how much it would be for my our 6th gen maximas and if they are even legit.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
SuPeRmOd

you would have to call them to see how much they want to scam you for. there is no general price.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Have you had bad experiences with similar companies? Is it that they just wont repair your car if it ever does break down?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Stay away from us fidelis they were on I believe 60 mins for scamming people they take your money but it is hard to collect when you need a repair. Go to Nissan and get there extended warranty it a little more but gives you a piece of mind.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JD05
Stay away from us fidelis they were on I believe 60 mins for scamming people they take your money but it is hard to collect when you need a repair
i vaguely remember that, i think it was 60 minutes but yeah they give you a big hassle when you need a repair. Mogi commercials are around alot too, you blow your engine or whatever and they fix it and you dont pay but they probably scam the crap out of you too
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

No no no, stay away from aftermarket extended warranty companys.
My shop wouldn't even take jobs from customers who had those warranties. They would always be declined coverage because of lack of prof of proper maintenance.
They get you in the fine print of the contract. You must be able to prove that the factory maintenance schedule was followed to the "T" with documentation.
We would have a water pump failure job and the customer would get declined coverage for not being able to show that the factory coolant was used. We had huge issues with those companies and lost a few customers as a result. Bottom line is that we stopped accepting jobs with any sort of aftermarket warranty coverage.

Save your $$$, even the factory extended warranties aren't the best. Read the entire contract word for word and think about what they are really covering and what your responsibility is.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 PM

great advice thanks all for your input
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 AM

Well, you can hardly blame them for insisting on proof of maintanence!

You could just buy a warranty, add gas, drive it until it breaks, and then expect them to fix it, no matter what.
Who'd be scamming who then?
People would use their warranties instead of spending money on maintanence.

I'm sure factory extended warranties have the same stipulation about maintanence records...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Well, you can hardly blame them for insisting on proof of maintanence!

You could just buy a warranty, add gas, drive it until it breaks, and then expect them to fix it, no matter what.
Who'd be scamming who then?
People would use their warranties instead of spending money on maintenance.

I'm sure factory extended warranties have the same stipulation about maintenance records...
Proof of maintenance is not a problem in some case its some of the warranty companies that try to get out of paying even when you have done all the proper maintenance on your auto there are a few companies that take a lot of money from you and then find some stupid stipulation where they don't have to cover a part that a real warranty company would cover with no problems. There are scam artists out there.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JD05
there are a few companies that take a lot of money from you and then find some stupid stipulation where they don't have to cover a part

Please, continue with your examples.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm just saying with a Nissan extended warranty from nissan if you bring your car to a dealer to be repaired chances are you will not have a problem unless you just blatantly just don't take care of your car,when you have an outside extended warranty they are more reluctant to pay up with out a hassle.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
SuPeRmOd

my extended nissan warranty has about 5k miles left on it. thankfully i haven't needed it yet. that's where they make the money.
But I still plan to continue extending it as long as i can. I just feel murphy's law. as soon as i try to save the money, something unexpected will happen. even though i take excellent care of the car.
rather have the hind sight of, well i coulda saved $1300 since nothing happened... than man i could have saved $1000 or more since this happened.

I choose to stay with nissan warranties. yeah it cost more, but i hear too many stories of the advertised ones.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
my extended nissan warranty has about 5k miles left on it. thankfully i haven't needed it yet. that's where they make the money.
But I still plan to continue extending it as long as i can. I just feel murphy's law. as soon as i try to save the money, something unexpected will happen. even though i take excellent care of the car.
rather have the hind sight of, well i coulda saved $1300 since nothing happened... than man i could have saved $1000 or more since this happened.

I choose to stay with nissan warranties. yeah it cost more, but i hear too many stories of the advertised ones.
NismoMax, thats exactly why I only got the extended warranty 1 time, I didn't use it and basically wasted the money. Mine was on a 88 Dodge Daytona. Now I just have a bank account that I've named car repairs and put money into it for my vehicles. I'd like to keep about $6k in it but my cars have been so dependable that its now down to $4000. My most expensive repair was on a 99 Volvo S80 that we used to have, $2500 for a new ABS module, then $750 for a new window regulator. My current cars for the most part have been trouble free for over 3+ yrs, all I have to do is buy tires. That reliablity comes from doing basic preventive maintenance. I'd leave the extended warranties alone.