General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cryo Treating parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 11:24 AM

Cryo Treating parts

I did a search and came up with this thread. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=cryo%2A
I also saw that Hogan had his transmission parts Cryo Treated as well.

Looks like Bill had this done to his brake rotors. I'm considering doing this too, whether or not I decide to keep the car.

I found www.onecryo.com and they seem like a good company, except they are on the other side of the Country for me. Infact I spoke with Rocky, who Bill dealt with too. As far as my transmission parts, if I were to get it done

The cost is around $49.99 mimimum charge, since one transmissions parts is relatively small. I only inquired about the gears, but I'm considering getting the Quaife along with its final drive gear and bearings done, since bearings are definately a wear and tear item. I'll probably just send the entire main shaft and input shaft so that all the gears and the synchroniezr mechanisms will get treated.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Cryo Treating parts

Originally posted by ericdwong
I did a search and came up with this thread. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=cryo%2A

Looks like Bill had this done to his brake rotors. I'm considering doing this too, whether or not I decide to keep the car.

I found www.onecryo.com and they seem like a good company, except they are on the other side of the Country for me. Infact I spoke with Rocky, who Bill dealt with too. As far as my transmission parts, if I were to get it done

The cost is around $49.99 mimimum charge, since one transmissions parts is relatively small. I only inquired about the gears, but I'm considering getting the Quaife along with its final drive gear and bearings done, since bearings are definately a wear and tear item. I'll probably just send the entire main shaft and input shaft so that all the gears and the synchroniezr mechanisms will get treated.
it might be a good idea to get the entire internal treated since it's a min charge on the set up. why have a weak link in the tranny when you can make the entire thing stronger.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you send them the two trans shafts and differential still assembled? That would be easy!
Old 12-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Cryo Treating parts

Originally posted by ericdwong

Those are tears of joy over someone using search. Eric gets a free flame because of that.

Anyhoo, One Cryo is good to deal with. The reason why I was able to use them was back in the good ol' days with 33% off at carparts.com, I could arrange to have Brembo rotors purchased and sent directly to them (much cheaper as they were based out of CA, and it beat me sending it from TN to WA state after arriving from carparts.com in CA).

I've done this to the front rotors on my 94 and 99, as well as my dad's TL. All rotors have continued to perform beautifully, and my warpage problems on my 94 are well documented.

I believe it's effective for brake rotors, but I have no expertise or clue on its effectiveness on trannys, although one would assume it could withstand more abuse. But it seems to me that just using synthetic tranny oil would alleviate such concerns.

Eric, try looking local for a cryo treatment facility. You're almost guaranteed to have one in the area. If not, try going with an east coast facility. I'm personally aware of one in Georgia, and one member a long time ago used a place in Florida. A yahoo/google search should reveal some close to you as well......

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2001, 04:49 PM

Hey I've got access to liquid nitrogen as well as liquid helium (~4 degrees kelvin) at my college. What do you guys suggest I freeze, maybe we can get a swimming pool set up were we could dip the entire maxima
Old 12-11-2001, 06:17 PM

I have access to a shop that cryo treats car parts. They cryo treat the axles I sell, along with a lot of other parts. It may be cheaper than they guys you're working with, but I've never asked them about tranny parts. Just brake rotors, axles, etc.