General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I feel like I'm cheating on You guys, and My Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 10:11 AM

I feel like I'm cheating on You guys, and My Max

EEEEK ... U guys gotta Help me ... Talk some Sense into me and talk me out of this.

YES I do love my Max, and All ... BUT ...

Recently ... my mind has wandered off to the new "ACURA 3.2 TL-Type S" BUT ... ONLY in "Diamond Pearl White" with Factory "Body Kit"

I've seen a Few and they are Sooooooo Lovely!!!

I went to the dealer recently, and I don't like them in Any other color, or without the body kit.

I've been also pondering about how to trade my Max in for one!

HELP PEOPLE

Old 12-12-2001, 10:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah they are very nice, especially the electric blue/red metallics. Looks like they put alot of candy addtives in the color. Very cool.

But honestly? This car(however nice) is not worth taking the hit(resale) for. If you got a deal on let's say an used S4, then yes. The power/awd/turbos is worth trading up for.

The TL-S, is almost trading sideways.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think that Acura is a very nice, well refined car. It's got some very nice features. The 4 wheel independent suspension setup is the way to go. My old Prelude had the 4 wheel double wishbone setup. Man that car was glued to the road. That is probably the MOST hated thing about the 4th gen Maxima - the mini van rear suspension setup.

I think that color looks great. Go treat yourself to a new car!

I'll keep my maxima for a while, but will probably revert back to Honda Motor Company cars again. They build excellent cars!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:49 AM

Yeah ... but I Already have a NEW Car ... my Max is a 2001 AE/SE ... its only a Year new!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I think that Acura is a very nice, well refined car. It's got some very nice features. The 4 wheel independent suspension setup is the way to go. My old Prelude had the 4 wheel double wishbone setup. Man that car was glued to the road. That is probably the MOST hated thing about the 4th gen Maxima - the mini van rear suspension setup.

I think that color looks great. Go treat yourself to a new car!

I'll keep my maxima for a while, but will probably revert back to Honda Motor Company cars again. They build excellent cars!
Old 12-12-2001, 10:54 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: I feel like I'm cheating on You guys, and My Max

yeah recently I started to like the TL-s as well...eventhough its a 5spd auto stick the styling is great and 260hp kicks ***! I've heard "rumors" of some tranny probs, but nothing concrete...still if I had money and was going to buy a newer car this year it would be between the TL-s and the IS300......and check this out, man this is sweet!-->

Old 12-12-2001, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What ever you do don't lease the car. My father leased one, and at 12K miles it requires a front wheel alignement, as well as other things, cost almost $600. Up until my 90K service on my max, i had spent less than that on service. And if you don't do everything in the service, they can void your lease.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was going to get a CL-S next spring until I got another better idea
Old 12-12-2001, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Whats's your new idea Andy? 6spd max owns JOO!
Old 12-12-2001, 12:02 PM

E39 No more Max for me.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:04 PM

E39 No more Max for me.
Excuse my ignorance but which model is the E39? A M3? If so nice choice, buying new?
Old 12-12-2001, 12:14 PM

Do it, do it...I did. You will be happy!!

http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images...r-side-gfx.jpg

http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images...badge-tips.jpg

With better tires, and turn VSA off, the car is very fast! Much faster than my friends GTP! Headers only, the car will make 300HP at the crank, no joke!
Old 12-12-2001, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by emax95

Excuse my ignorance but which model is the E39? A M3? If so nice choice, buying new?
E39 is 1997-2002 540i. I'm looking at 99-00 ones.
M3 is too small for me
Old 12-12-2001, 12:20 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Do it, do it...I did. You will be happy!!

http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images...r-side-gfx.jpg

http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images...badge-tips.jpg

With better tires, and turn VSA off, the car is very fast! Much faster than my friends GTP! Headers only, the car will make 300HP at the crank, no joke!
Well a STOCK 6spd Max would lay a beating on that modded TL-S/Cl-S at 300HP. A modded 6spd would absolutely destroy it! Get a 6spd Max and put a nice stillen body kit on it with a few bolt on.

The TL-S will cost more to begin with. The headers are 1K US plus install. Body kit is another 1KUS+. If you like to drive manual tranny the 6spd 2k2 max is the way to go! If you want a auto tranny even the new 2k2 Max is as fast as the TL-S. Bottomline the TL-S is going to cost you a lot more in the end! I personally like the look of a 5th gen max lowered with 18's and stillen body kit over the TL-s lower/kit/18's.

Old 12-12-2001, 12:27 PM
Autobahn Max

Yes, I am also am getting BMW bug, an E46 wagon. A stock wagon that handles better than the modded Maxima! (But not as quick)

Old 12-12-2001, 12:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

NICE!!! love the color....and yeah 6spd Max might be faster but IMO the TL looks 5 times better! *cough*I'm not a fan of the 5th gen body*cough*
Old 12-12-2001, 01:14 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Autobahn Max
Yes, I am also am getting BMW bug, an E46 wagon. A stock wagon that handles better than the modded Maxima! (But not as quick)
Are you sure that the wagon in stock form will outhandle a Max with fstb, rsb, and springs let alone LSD and nice tires?

Old 12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
Administrator

if i was getting an AUTO .. i would buy a TL-S.. but i don't do auto's so maxima it is
Old 12-12-2001, 01:27 PM

TL-S is a sweet ride. If I did not put a down payment on the M3, I would be looking at the TLS with body kit.

GC

Originally posted by SprintMax
if i was getting an AUTO .. i would buy a TL-S.. but i don't do auto's so maxima it is
Old 12-12-2001, 01:36 PM

Do you know what your talking about? The auto tranny 02 Maxima is NOT faster then a TL-S. Trust me, I assure you with real world attempts.

A stock 02 6spd is not "much" faster than a TL-S stock. Yes you can beat it, but you better be consistent and a motor trend great driver. Its faster, but not much. 6spd is not faster than one with headers (26fwhp added) I have tried it. Though then you have the stock Vrs moded argument.

Turn VSA off, get better tires then the all weather MMX4, headers, and a CAI, you will be shocked. The TL-S can brake into 14's stock, and can run to 60 in 6.6 stock, all with the comfort of a sport shift. There is also an RES intake manifold mod coming out of 15HP to the wheels and much more aftermarket support.

Here is the point, they are not night and day in terms of speed and performance. If you just want the fastest car for the money, neither of these should be your choice anyhow. The Maxima does not have IND rear, and less quality, yet the TL-S is more costly and a bit slower than the 6spd Maxima. However, the 02 is a one year makeshift model, what happens to your value and performance when the 03 Max is out?

I'm not a mMaxima hater or TL troll here, I have had 3, and the TL has several strengths that will appeal to some buyers more than other, and one was style that will age with grace, and doesn't upset anyone, unlike the Maxima, lovit or hate it. If and when they go RWD, use better interior materials, and keep the bargin price and high HP, the Maxima will be king!!! Nissan, please just don't make it even heavier!
Old 12-12-2001, 01:46 PM
PhatGuy

A 6spd Max is significatly faster than a TL-S. Actually the 6spd would destroy it off the line. 1/4 mile and especially on the highway. The 2K2 auto max is as fast as a TL-S stock for stock. Proven by a 14.7 by a .org member with a stock 2k2 auto max.

I have driven a modded 6spd Max (intake) and trust me it would smoke a lot of cars easy let alone a TL-S without a doubt!

Old 12-12-2001, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by PhatGuy
A 6spd Max is significatly faster than a TL-S. Actually the 6spd would destroy it off the line. 1/4 mile and especially on the highway. The 2K2 auto max is as fast as a TL-S stock for stock. Proven by a 14.7 by a .org member with a stock 2k2 auto max.

I have driven a modded 6spd Max (intake) and trust me it would smoke a lot of cars easy let alone a TL-S without a doubt!

*cough*backed it up with a 14.6*cough*
Old 12-12-2001, 01:51 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by SprintMax

*cough*backed it up with a 14.6*cough*
There you go the 2k2 auto max did a 14.6 stock! I haven't heard of a TL-S in stock form doing 14.6 in the real world.

Old 12-12-2001, 01:54 PM
Administrator

There you go the 2k2 auto max did a 14.6 stock! I haven't heard of a TL-S in stock form doing 14.6 in the real world.

yeah and a GLE at that.. imagine the GXE

oh TL-S will run low 14's

on g-tech maybe
Old 12-12-2001, 01:55 PM

Do it, if this is what you want go for it & u have th e$$$ $40k + tax man while yr maxima is probably worth like $30000~ now, but do you really want another automatic? if yes then this might be the car for you.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:05 PM

when do you get ET times in the real world, aka on the street? I didn't know local streets had ET meters?

TL is still a better car overall, and I figure you missed my point on if you just want the fastest? I have a car that cost less than your Maxima and will hand its a$$ to it on a platter? But you were ovisously not looking for the FASTEST for the best price.

I'm saying if your looking for a quick sedan, nice style and features at a leading price, the TL-S is a good buy. If you don't want to or can't afford the higher price, want something slightly faster, must have a 6spd, less quality, out date mini van rear, 1 year model, worse resell, quirky styling, huge Nissan badged car, ok then.

Here is another shot of the type-S and stainless steal tips.
http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images.../badge&tip.jpg

BTW, factory backed comptech super charger should be nice. I was getting sick of Stealing, uh, I mean stillen
Old 12-12-2001, 02:08 PM

ALso, you can get one fully loaded for $33K Not 40K plus tax. If you don't want the navi, as low as 30 to 31K If you want a good price, get your best offer from your dealer, then tell me.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Question is, is it $xxxx better than his 1 year old Maxima now? If it just a car purchase TL-S vs Maxima, it might be different. But he will lose thousands on the maxima and have to pay full retail for the TL-S. So the cost is whatever price the TL-S is + the depreciation hit on the Maxima on the resale.

when do you get ET times in the real world, aka on the street? I didn't know local streets had ET meters?

TL is still a better car overall, and I figure you missed my point on if you just want the fastest? I have a car that cost less than your Maxima and will hand its a$$ to it on a platter? But you were ovisously not looking for the FASTEST for the best price.

I'm saying if your looking for a quick sedan, nice style and features at a leading price, the TL-S is a good buy. If you don't want to or can't afford the higher price, want something slightly faster, must have a 6spd, less quality, out date mini van rear, 1 year model, worse resell, quirky styling, huge Nissan badged car, ok then.

Here is another shot of the type-S and stainless steal tips.
http://www.mnbmotorsports.com/images.../badge&tip.jpg

BTW, factory backed comptech super charger should be nice. I was getting sick of Stealing, uh, I mean stillen
Old 12-12-2001, 02:19 PM
PhatGuy

ALso, you can get one fully loaded for $33K Not 40K plus tax. If you don't want the navi, as low as 30 to 31K If you want a good price, get your best offer from your dealer, then tell me.
Empz, Costco and myself all live in Canada (damn we need a Canadian Forum on the .org!!). The base price of a TL-S in Canada is $41K Canadian no Navi. For an OEM wing, front/rear spoiler and side skirts is another $2900.00CDN (which is an absolute rip off!) $44K MSRP for the car in question not including $950.00 Freight/PDI ($45K now) and 15% tax (another $6750) we are now at $51.7K CDN less negotiation off MSRP which is not very much on a Type-S.

http://english.acuracanada.ca/models...et.asp?Trim=21

Old 12-12-2001, 08:23 PM

I drove both the 135 and the TL-S, and I suggest you do the same with a max and a TL-S. If the salesman is cool and lets you gun the TL-S to 7000 RPM's, I guarantee you'll buy it on the spot. I know I did.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:27 PM

Empz, Costco and myself all live in Canada (damn we need a Canadian Forum on the .org!!).
you mention that everytime you post , maybe jambo can rename yr status like sprint max to "I AM CANADIAN & WE NEED A CANADIAN FORUM!"
Old 12-12-2001, 08:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

is it a ??? ??? hehe. i'll leave the cat in the bag. but there is a hint in there for everyone else.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:38 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by costcowholesale

you mention that everytime you post , maybe jambo can rename yr status like sprint max to "I AM CANADIAN & WE NEED A CANADIAN FORUM!"
Ya mon! I guess those american guys don't care about us and our Maximas? Btw I now know 3 2k2 6spd owners near me now and a 4th who lives outside Ottawa. 2 of which are modded! What is going to take for Canada to get a forum on the .org?

Old 12-13-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

is it a ??? ??? hehe. i'll leave the cat in the bag. but there is a hint in there for everyone else.
Yes, it's 3 letters, 3 numbers and 8 cylinders
Old 12-13-2001, 06:55 AM

i do believe well i heard a rumor on the cl type s forum that it will have a manuel version next year and i think the tl type s will have it too

just something to think about
Old 12-13-2001, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by nodoubt711
i do believe well i heard a rumor on the cl type s forum that it will have a manuel version next year and i think the tl type s will have it too

just something to think about
I used to post there for a while, and no one actually knows when CL-S will get a 6-speed...it's just a rumor.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:07 AM

yeah

i just hope the dont make it like the v6 accord

a manuel version never came out

in the us anyways
Old 12-13-2001, 01:27 PM

I used to post there for a while, and no one actually knows when CL-S will get a 6-speed...it's just a rumor.
Check their forums again!
Acura is now accepting orders for the 6 speed manual CL-S.
A guy over just ordered one, and he scanned in his order form.
It's supposedly going to be a limited production run that will
be released in March or April of 2002. The HP will also be
bumped up from 260 to 280.

I need a car within the next two months or so, so I can't wait
for the 6spd CL-S (the IRS was the deciding factor), BUT I've
ordered my 6spd HLSD Max and I'm really happy with it! Looking
forward to the early February delivery date!

The top four cars on my list are:
(1) M5
(2) 540i, 6spd
(3) M3, 6spd
(4) S4, 6spd
Old 12-13-2001, 01:38 PM

Re: I feel like I'm cheating on You guys, and My Max

I know what you mean. I have one just like it except it's metallic
blue and have a rear spoiler on it as well as side skirts, front
airdam, and rear valiance. But, I still drive my 87 Max as a daily
driver while I drive my TL Type-S on weekends.

Go ahead and get it man!!!! It won't change you at all. I don't
subscribe to the TL forum as I think those guys are idiots and
don't know what the hell they're talking about. I still like the
max forum and probably would never leave even if I sell my max down
the road "IF".

mike

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Empz
[B]EEEEK ... U guys gotta Help me ... Talk some Sense into me and talk me out of this.

YES I do love my Max, and All ... BUT ...

Recently ... my mind has wandered off to the new "ACURA 3.2 TL-Type S" BUT ... ONLY in "Diamond Pearl White" with Factory "Body Kit"
Old 12-13-2001, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by vmax8

Check their forums again!
Acura is now accepting orders for the 6 speed manual CL-S.
A guy over just ordered one, and he scanned in his order form.
It's supposedly going to be a limited production run that will
be released in March or April of 2002. The HP will also be
bumped up from 260 to 280.

I need a car within the next two months or so, so I can't wait
for the 6spd CL-S (the IRS was the deciding factor), BUT I've
ordered my 6spd HLSD Max and I'm really happy with it! Looking
forward to the early February delivery date!

(1) M5
(2) 540i, 6spd
(3) M3, 6spd
(4) S4, 6spd
Well, it's too late I already made up my mind. I'm getting your choice #2 in April.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by vmax8

(1) M5
(2) 540i, 6spd
(3) M3, 6spd
(4) S4, 6spd
Number 4 is my next car. I've looked around and I can find almost new S4's for around $30k-$32k, and that's advertised price.

The new maxima is a little to big for my liking, and I don't care if it doesn't sit 4 comfortably, then people won't want to drive with me... oh wait, that's already the case

Quick Reply: I feel like I'm cheating on You guys, and My Max