General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Porterfield pad testimony from today...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 01:32 PM

Porterfield pad testimony from today...

Today, I was on my trip back from Tampa. I was running on US231 between Troy and Montgomery, AL with the cruise control set at 90 mph when I suddenly spotted a silver, unmarked patrol car sitting in the median after I had come over the crest of a hill. I wasn't sure if it was a local or a state offical, but regardless, I didn't want the ticket.

Anyway, reflexes got the best of me and I quickly stabbed the middle pedal and seemingly simultaneously, the radar detector went wild! It seemed as if he was using an 'instant-on' method.

Looking at the speedo, I was pleasantly relieved to see that I had scrubbed off 25-30 mph so quickly. I continued rolling and glaring into the rear and side mirrors, and he never moved.

It's a little hard to describe, but all I did was STAB the pedal. I didn't hold it, ride it or anything. It was like a quick hit. Like a second or so. I was actually shocked to see that that much speed was scrubbed off in that short amount of time! The tires held, no slide or flat spotting.

I've never had to do that before in this car. I had no idea this car could decrease speed like that. I know it stops very well when pedal pressure is applied and held (like late braking into a turn or emergency stops), but not just a quick stab.

Is this normal, or can I attribute this to the pads? Just wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences...
Old 12-12-2001, 01:38 PM

I did that once.....

...when I was going too fast and realized I had to turn. I stabbed the brake pedal for a second, and the tires locked and squeeled. Then I released cause I couldn't make the turn still. Scared the sheet outa the passengers.

Soory, OT.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:09 PM

i got the porto pads, there awsome as long as u do not lock the brakes up. a few days ago crusing to school, i decided to pass my x-girl friend. took her in the other lane at about 80 (45 zone and she sped up). saw that my turn to the school was coming up after the pass was completed. put a good amount of pressure on the brakes, my speed went down to about 30 then the brakes locked and the car just shook as the front end lost control momentarily. Then i regripped and told everyone that it was a special high speed turn i performed. They all believed me
Old 12-12-2001, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I've been running the R4S's for about a year now. There is a 4-lane, twisty, deserted road near my office that I run about once a week on my way to lunch. I usually get the car up to 100mph in a straight section just before a hard left turn to a stop sign. With the OEM pads I could easly fade the brakes, but not the Porterfields!

On a related note, today I picked up a co-worker at a repair shop that was fixing his '91 300ZX TT. It turns out that the owner of the shop teaches the autocross driving school for the local SCCA club. We has nothing but praise for the Porterfields; has used them on his race prepped Z's for years.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:40 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Porterfield pad testimony from today...

Originally posted by Yankee!!!
Today, I was on my trip back from Tampa. I was running on US231 between Troy and Montgomery, AL
Damn, you came right by my house...
Old 12-12-2001, 07:04 PM

YANKEE MAN!!!!!!

Hey, great story. After we met and talked brakes, I ordered a set of rear Porterfields from the factory, just got them today. T.M.S. Jr. also found someone with a set of front pads cheap, so i'm picking them up too even though the Metalmasters I have on now are just a few months old. Now with the SS lines, slotted rotors and Portorfields, the brakes should feel and stop like an M-3, no?

Keep in touch.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

no doubt..they are great pads.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:27 AM

Yes, with the weight of this car, it stops extremely well. I really see no need for big brake kits on this car (unless I was making frequent roadcourse track visits with it). For sport/street fighting purposes, it's great. I've never felt like I was in trouble in the braking dept. even in emergency situations.

As far as braking like my M3,...uh...I don't know. Neither of my M3's had stock brakes for any length of time. They were modified pretty quickly. I had too due to frequent track events at MacDill and Sebring. As you recall from our conversation this past weekend, I'm a firm believer in spending on braking along with increased hp. So, with the turbo, braking was important when averaging 157.7 mph in the back straight at Sebring.

I had a feeling that you would go for the Poterfields after our conversation. No relation to Miss Cleo though!!

PM me. We need to talk about some business ideas we touched upon. You know that I love to turn a $!! If it's profitable, I'M IN!!!

mzmtg, wish I would have known. Next time I breeze by, I'd love to stop and chat. Actually, you're really not that far away. I'm in Hoover. Maybe a local event?
Old 12-13-2001, 08:45 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

These pads saved me a ton of $$$ last weekend.

I was driving the Max I had just bought and my girlfriend was driving my 97 which has replacement stock rotors and porterfield pads. She wasn't paying attention and the guy infront of her stopped the car WAY short of the light (the dumbass was reading a map).

She slammed on the breaks and eventually locked the wheels. Came about 4 inches from rear ending the guy. It she would have been driving the new (99) with stock brakes, there would have been no way she could have stopped the car in time.

Buying good brake pads is money well spent.