General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

lost wheel lock!!! help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 06:21 AM

lost wheel lock!!! help!!!

I recently was installing my stillen rear sway bar and decided to remove the back wheels. I was looking for my wheel lock for my car and discovered that I lost it? My question now is what do I do? Is there any possible way to get it off without going through the hassle of the dealer? i call them this morning and they said something about a universal one or if it doesn't fit then I have to cut the stud off!!! help!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 06:29 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

most good shops have a tool to remove the wheel lock..IF it's not on super tight. if not they'll have to break the stud.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:44 AM

you could always go to your regular or local aftermarket store...if you know someone ask em to open a back of locks and try out the keys...worth a shot

jersey
Old 12-14-2001, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
most good shops have a tool to remove the wheel lock..IF it's not on super tight. if not they'll have to break the stud.
Don't break the stud! If you're really good with a torch, you can do what I've had to do, which is weld a nut onto the lock and take it off that way. Just be careful, though, cause the flame will discolor alloys.
You could probably even find a shop that would do it for you, just make sure you can hold them responsible for the wheel...
Old 12-14-2001, 03:39 AM

Usually we just hammer a Craftsman 12 point socket (one size too small) on it and take it off with an air gun. We get a lot of repossesed cars in where we work and run into that problem constantly. Actually we've found that to work better than the lock removal sockets. You might crack a socket or two but hey - that's what lifetime warranty is for eh?
Old 12-14-2001, 07:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by nismo1989

Don't break the stud! If you're really good with a torch, you can do what I've had to do, which is weld a nut onto the lock and take it off that way. Just be careful, though, cause the flame will discolor alloys.
You could probably even find a shop that would do it for you, just make sure you can hold them responsible for the wheel...
well that's also another way. but if u have expensive rims on there..i dunno about putting a torch to it and discoloring it. i would rather break the stud and save the rims. bt i guess what ever works here.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am having the same problem. The two wheel locks are stripped real bad and broken. Even a shop that I brought it to couldn't take it off. Someone suggested that I use a drill and take it off. I don't see how by drilling into the stud would get the wheel locks off though. I'm going to give the smaller size socket try again. The wheel locks are super tight and the smaller size socket technique didn't work last time I tried.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:21 AM

Michael,
I just talked to one of my co-workers about this. He has removed them before by welding a standard lug nut to the locking lug. He uses a wire feed arc welder to reduce the amount of slag and welds INSIDE the hole of the standard lug nut. Also, clamp the ground to the brake rotor so that you don't fry the wheel bearings.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:09 PM

I finally got the two wheel locks off! What a relief.
Old 12-14-2001, 02:46 PM

How did you do it?
Old 12-14-2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by sinewave
How did you do it?

It was pretty simple. I bought a long socket wrench with an angle head so I could use the length as leverage. Then I used a size smaller socket to fit over the damaged wheel locks. I hammered the crap out of the socket to make sure it's in their tightly. I just used the long socket wrench to get it off. I have tried this technique before, but the last time I guess I didn't have the socket in tight enough, so it would come off. Man, I'm sure this is finally over. Too bad my wheels are really messed up now. Oh well, I could always get them repowercoated.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:28 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Cumalot

It was pretty simple. I bought a long socket wrench with an angle head so I could use the length as leverage. Then I used a size smaller socket to fit over the damaged wheel locks. I hammered the crap out of the socket to make sure it's in their tightly. I just used the long socket wrench to get it off. I have tried this technique before, but the last time I guess I didn't have the socket in tight enough, so it would come off. Man, I'm sure this is finally over. Too bad my wheels are really messed up now. Oh well, I could always get them repowercoated.
hmmm.... i though i told someone else to do that like a month ago... hehe.. your wheel locks are useless.. throw them away.. lol

Old 12-14-2001, 06:11 PM

If wheel locks are so simple to take off, what is the point of putting them on. Aren't they supposed to protect your wheels?
Old 12-14-2001, 06:20 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by 2Maxed-out4u
If wheel locks are so simple to take off, what is the point of putting them on. Aren't they supposed to protect your wheels?
they do make good ones.. there is a type where the outside perimeter of the lock is mounted on ball-bearings, and the key is in the center like a regular lock. this is to prevent people from just banging a socket on the locks. if they did, it would just spin freely.. get it? you have to use the key to spin the center of the lock to back it off.. regular locks are just an inconvienvce for yourself.. i can take them off as fast as you can take your lugs off.. lol.. same thing with the club.. the club can be taken off in about 5 seconds without even cutting the steering wheel.. hehe

Old 12-14-2001, 07:55 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
they do make good ones.. there is a type where the outside perimeter of the lock is mounted on ball-bearings, and the key is in the center like a regular lock. this is to prevent people from just banging a socket on the locks. if they did, it would just spin freely.. get it? you have to use the key to spin the center of the lock to back it off.. regular locks are just an inconvienvce for yourself.. i can take them off as fast as you can take your lugs off.. lol.. same thing with the club.. the club can be taken off in about 5 seconds without even cutting the steering wheel.. hehe
yeah and i can flat bed your car in about 2 min.
you don't think anyone is going to hear u hammering into a wheel lock to get it off? now keep in mind u have to get 4 of them off just for a set of wheels.
unless you're talking about the socket that cuts into the lock..sure u can get a slim jim too.

club..yeah no prob..but that's extra 5 second..can u afford that? that's not starting the car either..that's just a hurdle u have to go over to get to start the car.

nothing is theft proof..everything just slows the guy stealing it.
Old 12-14-2001, 08:55 PM

O.K. guys, here's what I did. I went to the nissan dealer near me and the service manager told a mechanic to find a key from their universal socket kit. The mechanic found one and the service manager was REALLY cool about it and said instead of paying $66.00 an hour for the service, give the mechanic a couple of bucks and he will take it off. I was so suprised!!!! So the mechanic took it off and replaced each lock with a lug nut. He give me back the lug nuts in case I find the lock key. He told me that they were expensive and very good locks. I didn't know that they were because I bought my car from one of my father's friends. So I gave him $20 and thank him. It was great service and he hook me up. Now, I'm not going to even bother with the wheel locks. If someone steals my wheels then time to go rims shopping.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by mikese
O.K. guys, here's what I did. I went to the nissan dealer near me and the service manager told a mechanic to find a key from their universal socket kit. The mechanic found one and the service manager was REALLY cool about it and said instead of paying $66.00 an hour for the service, give the mechanic a couple of bucks and he will take it off. I was so suprised!!!! So the mechanic took it off and replaced each lock with a lug nut. He give me back the lug nuts in case I find the lock key. He told me that they were expensive and very good locks. I didn't know that they were because I bought my car from one of my father's friends. So I gave him $20 and thank him. It was great service and he hook me up. Now, I'm not going to even bother with the wheel locks. If someone steals my wheels then time to go rims shopping.
where do u live? where do u park? i'll be right over!
j/k
Old 12-14-2001, 09:12 PM
KCTYPHOON

yeah and i can flat bed your car in about 2 min.
you don't think anyone is going to hear u hammering into a wheel lock to get it off? now keep in mind u have to get 4 of them off just for a set of wheels.
unless you're talking about the socket that cuts into the lock..sure u can get a slim jim too.

club..yeah no prob..but that's extra 5 second..can u afford that? that's not starting the car either..that's just a hurdle u have to go over to get to start the car.

nothing is theft proof..everything just slows the guy stealing it.
hey dumbass.. if your car is parked unattended in a parking lot or a train station theres more than enough time to take lugs and locks off.. and its very inconspicious if you were to just walk up and do it in daylight than it is to sneak around at nite cause people r fooled by the obvious.. aside from the piont that if i wanted to steal your rims id just either take the whole car but ur right about all the noise of hammering sockets on.. so id simply go into the glove box or console to get the key for your locks myself stupid. ( right about now hes sayin "yeah i guess it is pretty dumb to have locks on my wheels and leave the key inside") thanks for not makin have to chance ruining a good socket genious!! AND the idea behind preventive security is to give a thief NO CHOICE but to have to take the entire car if he just wants parts rather then just buyin something an amtuer thief or anyone with half a brain can figure out how to get off. that alone will make 85% of would be thiefs walk at that point. the next thing is to make the car nearly impossible to take by using things that actually work rather than somethin that takes longer you to put on than it does for me to take off.. conventional wheels locks and products such as the club are designed primarily to give the veichles owner a sense of security, not actually secure the car. hidden and intagrated cut-off swithes DO WORK, (EXAMPLE: the headlights must be on and drivers window swith pushed down in order for the car to start). ( now he's sayin, "Boy thats a good idea") it would probably take about $150 to make a car theft proof to 98% of car thiefs without the thing even having an alarm. also last time i checked, i didnt know too many 16,17,18 yr old kids that had their own tow trucks or that would roll a welding torch into your driveway. and as far as the 5 seconds the thief cant spare according to you, you would be utterly amazed if you had any sort of insight as to what a theif can get away with when it comes to time allowance.. id rather be quiet, inside YOUR CAR, WHERE NOBODY CAN SEE ME ,for 20 min than be outside your house at 3 in the morning for 2 min with a loud *** tow truck..

Old 12-14-2001, 09:16 PM

DanNY, lol ...come get them
Old 12-14-2001, 09:36 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

hey dumbass.. if your car is parked unattended in a parking lot or a train station theres more than enough time to take lugs and locks off.. and its very inconspicious if you were to just walk up and do it in daylight than it is to sneak around at nite cause people r fooled by the obvious.. AND the idea behind preventive security is to give a thief NO CHOICE but to have to take the entire car if he just wants parts rather then just buyin something an amtuer thief or anyone with half a brain can figure out how to get off. that alone will make 85% of would be thiefs walk at that point. then its to make the car nearly impossible to take by using things that actually work rather than somethin that takes longer to put on than it does for a thief to take off.. conventional wheels locks and products such as the club are designed primarily to give the veichles owner a sense of security, not actually secure the car. hidden and intagrated cut-off swithes DO WORK, (EXAMPLE: the headlights must be on and drivers window swith pushed down in order for the car to start). it would probably take about $150 to make a car theft proof to 98% of car thiefs without the thing even having an alarm. also last time i checked, i didnt know too many 16,17,18 yr old kids that had their own tow trucks.. and as far as the 5 seconds the thief cant spare according to you, you would be utterly amazed if you had any sort of insight as to what a theif can get away with when it comes to time allowance..
name calling? what are u 6 yrs old?

if i see someone rolling 4 wheels out of a parking lot..you're not going to question it? what neighborhood do u live in? train station..yeah i'm sure SOME people are walking around...parking lot..so you're the only car there?

if you're using the hammer technique you're telling me NO ONE will ask one questions why you're hammering the hell out of a lug nut and leaving the car on bricks/milk crates/nothing at all...no one right?

how do u know it's 16,17,18 yr old kids trying to steal cars? stereotyping?
the ones that own tow trucks are stealing high end cars..not stealing hub caps or fog lights.

if you were a car thief...u saw two of the same car on the road..one w/ a cheezy club..one without.. you're going to go to the one w/ the club on because u like the changellenge? give me a break!

you drive a maxima..they are all over the street...u have a blinking LED the guy is prob too lazy to deal with your car and go pick another one out. and if the guy wasn't lazy he would be working..(most likely).

don't worry about me being amazed..don't assume what i know and what i don't know.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:39 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by mikese
DanNY, lol ...come get them
danny couldnt take a girls virginity let alone your rims.. lol

Old 12-14-2001, 09:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

danny couldnt take a girls virginity let alone your rims.. lol
wow now insults..please post again when you're old enough to hold a intelligent conversation.

please we don't want to hear your personal problems with women.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:42 PM
KCTYPHOON

name calling? what are u 6 yrs old?

if i see someone rolling 4 wheels out of a parking lot..you're not going to question it? what neighborhood do u live in? train station..yeah i'm sure SOME people are walking around...parking lot..so you're the only car there?

if you're using the hammer technique you're telling me NO ONE will ask one questions why you're hammering the hell out of a lug nut and leaving the car on bricks/milk crates/nothing at all...no one right?

how do u know it's 16,17,18 yr old kids trying to steal cars? stereotyping?
the ones that own tow trucks are stealing high end cars..not stealing hub caps or fog lights.

if you were a car thief...u saw two of the same car on the road..one w/ a cheezy club..one without.. you're going to go to the one w/ the club on because u like the changellenge? give me a break!

you drive a maxima..they are all over the street...u have a blinking LED the guy is prob too lazy to deal with your car and go pick another one out. and if the guy wasn't lazy he would be working..(most likely).

don't worry about me being amazed..don't assume what i know and what i don't know.
ok danny.. your car has 20" rims, a system, wheel locks, and a club. the guy parked next to you has the same car, stock, with nothing protecting it. ur gonna tell me that is someone is lookin for a maxima, hes gonna take his and not yours becuase u have the stupid red thing on your steering wheel? thats your theory?

Old 12-14-2001, 09:45 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

fix your post...database didn't register.

::awaiting for more insults::
Old 12-14-2001, 09:49 PM
KCTYPHOON

fix your post...database didn't register.

::awaiting for more insults::
answer one question for me... where is your key for your wheel locks? and be honsest..

Old 12-14-2001, 09:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok danny.. your car has 20" rims, a system, wheel locks, and a club. the guy parked next to you has the same car, stock, with nothing protecting it. ur gonna tell me that is someone is lookin for a maxima, hes gonna take his and not yours becuase u have the stupid red thing on your steering wheel? thats your theory?

if you have a system and 20" rims..are u going to park it in a unattended parking lot? or at the train station? what's YOUR theory?

i'm talking about a stock car here..what most people will take when they take the entire car.

20" inch rims and a loud system stands out a lot when a thief driving it to his/her destination. but it can happen (have the whole car taken)...not saying it can't

i hope you have more security than the club if you put in all that $ in the car.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:56 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

answer one question for me... where is your key for your wheel locks? and be honsest..
probably in my garage..how about u?

i know what you're getting at...yeah it should be in the car.
all it takes is for someone to open the car door and it's done. but when the door is open..might as well take the radio..well you're already at the wiring..why not just hot wire it?
Old 12-15-2001, 04:02 AM

wheel locks

i think it is worth it to have wheel locks if you have expensive rims.this will limit a thiefs time to stealing your rims on the spot.from what i hear and know from expierience is that they will steal the car rather than try to take the rims off where the car is.
i had my car stolen once i had about 2900 rims luckily my insurance covered them.i understand that the club is useless but its one more obsticle the thief will have to overcome besides trying to find kill switches and removing the auto lock and other gadgets to prevent the car from being stolen.

besides all that hopefully they will trigger a sensor trying to break in and if you have an air horn that should wake everyone in the nieborhood.Yes there is a possibilty that it can be towed then your out of luck it would take a pro i guess.

later.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:09 PM

they do make good ones.. there is a type where the outside perimeter of the lock is mounted on ball-bearings, and the key is in the center like a regular lock. . .
KC,

I'm looking for a wheel-lock solution & have heard of the design you mentioned too, but don't know any manufacturers who make them. Do you know of any offhand? Anyone else?

If not, I'll just get the search engines primed up. . .

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:41 PM

I had my cadillac stolen once. It had an alarm, and the bastards drilled through my fender into the battery and sat there waiting until it all leaked out. Then, they broke in, put in another battery and drove off like nothin. I got the car back, insurance paid for my stereo and phone and stuff, and after that I just put razor blades in the door handles. One day I heard my alarm go off when I was at work. I went outside, and saw glass all around my car. Someone had busted the window, unlocked the door and tried to open it up. There was blood running down my door from my handle into a small crimson puddle on the pavement. I was happy, someone prob lost a finger but I still had my car. Sure, I had to remember to take the blades out when I went to oopen up the car, but it was worth it. You just don't expect something like that when your some dumb thief...
Old 01-10-2002, 08:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

since taking off the wheels was not really 100% necessary, I would have got the lock registration and just order another one for like $8. My extra came in about 7 days. I probably could have requested overnight or what have you.

DanNY don't sweat the flames man. If someone has their name as xxxNY, you would think that person would be savy enough about stolen cars and property. Hey you have to remember Dan, you getting flamed by someone who bent their FSTB brackets when he was trying to install it. hehe!
Old 01-11-2002, 01:38 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by nismo1989
I had my cadillac stolen once. It had an alarm, and the bastards drilled through my fender into the battery and sat there waiting until it all leaked out. Then, they broke in, put in another battery and drove off like nothin. I got the car back, insurance paid for my stereo and phone and stuff, and after that I just put razor blades in the door handles. One day I heard my alarm go off when I was at work. I went outside, and saw glass all around my car. Someone had busted the window, unlocked the door and tried to open it up. There was blood running down my door from my handle into a small crimson puddle on the pavement. I was happy, someone prob lost a finger but I still had my car. Sure, I had to remember to take the blades out when I went to oopen up the car, but it was worth it. You just don't expect something like that when your some dumb thief...
thats a good idea, but id think twice about that.. you wouldnt be the first person to get sued by a theif for personal injury..

Old 01-11-2002, 01:46 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by Jeff92se
since taking off the wheels was not really 100% necessary, I would have got the lock registration and just order another one for like $8. My extra came in about 7 days. I probably could have requested overnight or what have you.

DanNY don't sweat the flames man. If someone has their name as xxxNY, you would think that person would be savy enough about stolen cars and property. Hey you have to remember Dan, you getting flamed by someone who bent their FSTB brackets when he was trying to install it. hehe!
all i have to say is.. jeff u really are a f@ckin a$$hole.. its amazing how a peice of **** like you manages to get through life day by day. ive never seen someone with so much info drive such a p.o.s., and its even more amusing that this board is one of the highlights of your life you f$ckin loser. you should find something better and more usefull to do with your time. i havent posted on this board for a long time for the simple fact that its managed by so many a$$holes like yourself. your just ****ed off cause my rims and tires are worth as much as your car .

Old 01-11-2002, 01:53 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

KC,

I'm looking for a wheel-lock solution & have heard of the design you mentioned too, but don't know any manufacturers who make them. Do you know of any offhand? Anyone else?

If not, I'll just get the search engines primed up. . .

Thanks in advance.
KWeelzsb, im not positive, but if i remember i think theres a company called guirella locks (spelling?) that makes them. im not 100% sure so dont quote me on this. i dont even have a site i can tell you about but i know one of the import shops i goto sells them. the best i can tell you is goto one of them or a rim store that sells expensive rims (mabye you can bring jeff with you since his car is in desperate need of help). sorry i couldnt be more of a help to you.. but ask jeff, he knows everything..
http://rippmods.com try this place.. thats the site for the shop i goto. the guys name that runs the place is ross. its owned by him and his father angelo. angelo used to be a mechanic for porshe, ross has like a 9 second integra, all turbo no juice.. try emailing them or calling. thats the best i can think of for ya rite now..

Old 01-11-2002, 01:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

It seems that since you cannot refute my post you must agree and you are just sour grapes about it.

Think about it sparky. Dan is from NY. Don't you think he know what the hell is going on?

Thanks for your comments, they made me laugh to see you frustrated. I'm sure others are laughing just as much as me.

Question: if you hate the moderators soo much, why did you come back? We still have the same ones?

Feel the love baby

all i have to say is.. jeff u really are a f@ckin a$$hole.. its amazing how a peice of **** like you manages to get through life day by day. ive never seen someone with so much info drive such a p.o.s., and its even more amusing that this board is one of the highlights of your life you f$ckin loser. you should find something better and more usefull to do with your time. i havent posted on this board for a long time for the simple fact that its managed by so many a$$holes like yourself. your just ****ed off cause my rims and tires are worth as much as your car .
Old 01-11-2002, 01:57 PM
KCTYPHOON

It seems that since you cannot refute my post you must agree and you are just sour grapes about it.

Think about it sparky. Dan is from NY. Don't you think he know what the hell is going on?

Thanks for your comments, they made me laugh to see you frustrated. I'm sure others are laughing just as much as me.

Question: if you hate the moderators soo much, why did you come back? We still have the same ones?

Feel the love baby

im not frustrated, i just think your an a$$hole.. plain and simple.. i heard pep-boys is having a sale on bondo. you should check em out..

Old 01-11-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

You actually THINK!?!?!

Don't quit your day job okay?

im not frustrated, i just think your an a$$hole.. plain and simple.. i heard pep-boys is having a sale on bondo. you should check em out..
Old 01-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

the love is sooooo strong in this post!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:05 PM
KCTYPHOON

You actually THINK!?!?!

Don't quit your day job okay?

lol.. i wont.. the money is to good considering i dont have to do much... mabye i can hook you up with a job so you can buy a half way decent car.. lmao

Old 01-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

lol.. i wont.. the money is to good considering i dont have to do much...
phone sex operator????

Quick Reply: lost wheel lock!!! help!!!