General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 08:50 AM

NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

I notice that most of us are early 20s. It just seems so different when you are married w/kids and are an enthusiast prime example:
My six yr old liked my 3rd GEN better because she says "Daddy I could hear your car coming down the street" (INTAKE & Exhaust) My wife does not want me to get a CAI because on the 4th gen she says "Baby you need to buy yourself something nice" I told her I was TRYING to! I can only imagine how I would be if I were single and no kids, I would really focus more time on the Maxima. When I was most of your ages (early 20s) I was driving a 85SE 5sp my first car That was the 4DSC then

1. voice reminder "key is in the ignition"
"lights are on"

2. electronic controlled suspension

I thought I was duh man
Old 12-13-2001, 08:53 AM
Administrator

your wife should smack you for not posting this in OT
Old 12-13-2001, 09:26 AM

Re: NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

Since I have reached the tender age of 31 and have 2 kids, I guess I qualify. I would say that since I have crossed over I care a little less about all out performance. Most guys here are hard core modders (or wannabes) and I kind of live through them, modding is a truly an exciting hobby. I have a couple of mods, plan on a few more but none of them is up there on my list of top priorities. Retiring early seems to be consuming my life right now. I spend a great deal of time in my Max and I love the balance of comfort and power that it has right out of the box, which is why I am a repeat Maxima buyer. I think I will mod my next vehicle a little more since my job involves long commutes and my part of NC is littered with mostly unused back roads but I could never be as hardcore as some of the younger guys and girls on the board, although I think I drive my Max faster than alot of you since I hit triple digits almost every day on my way to and from work, driving 60+ miles@ 55-65 mph just will not cut it for me...............
Old 12-13-2001, 09:45 AM

41 married and have 5 kids; never stopped modding my cars since I started at the young age of 15
Old 12-13-2001, 09:56 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

Originally posted by straight six
I hit triple digits almost every day on my way to and from work, driving 60+ miles@ 55-65 mph just will not cut it for me...............

Dayum...I hope I've still got my lead foot like that when I'm "older", assuming it hasn't gotten me into trouble by then... (psst, I'm 24 now...)
Old 12-13-2001, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Dayum...I hope I've still got my lead foot like that when I'm "older", assuming it hasn't gotten me into trouble by then... (psst, I'm 24 now...)
old fart
Old 12-13-2001, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Its not how fast you drive, its how you drive fast. Young buck, jOO are still wet behind the ears........breath smellin like similac.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: NOT another poll, who is 30+ married w/kids, I know I am not the only one.......am I?

I'm 48, knocking on 49, two kids, wife of 26 years. I grew up driving VW's and 6 cylinder Chevy's because my dad viewed cars as transportation only. Still, I managed to have some fun with the VeeDub. I never really got into modding cars until just recently with my '95 SE, but I did have a '63 Triumph 650 Bonneville and a '49 Panhead that I tweaked quite a bit.

I bought the '95 SE after buying my wife a 2k GLE. I liked the GLE so much that I had to have a Max for myself, so I got rid of the Suburban and got a black on black '95, which I think is the best looking Max of all. So far I've lowered it with H&R's and Tokico blues and installed a FSTB, RSTB, RSB and CAI, and I'm saving up for a y-pipe and catback. I love the way it handles and sounds. I'd loved to go the SC route, but I've two kids who are going to be entering college in the next couple of years, so that'll have to wait. Maybe I'll juice it instead.

Steve
Old 12-13-2001, 10:46 AM

Knocking on 31 with 5 kids

Of the 30+ cars I've owned, none were left stock.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:49 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm 27, married, own a house, and have two cats. Do I qualify I don't see myself halting my car modifying ever. I'm gonna be that cool dad that hangs out with his kids, takes them to the track to learn how to drive, teach them to work on the thier cars, toy with thier cars, etc.

As I get older, I'm definately getting the feeling I want another powerful automatic car (only auto I owned as a 94 Z28). Now that the auto 2k2 Maxima seems to extremely torquey and significantly quicker, I may lean towards a 2k2 GLE. I'll modify the Max as usual and hopefully get it into the mid 14s. The real fun will be when I buy my project car, a early 90s Mustang or possibly a 87 Grand National. I've all, but given up on making a Maxima a truely fast car.

Unlike many of the younger guys in here, I don't spend a ton of money on my car. I'd rather retire early than drive a "phat" new car that I can barely afford. I spend about 5% of what I make modifying my car and it still seems like I spend too much. I couldn't imagine having a car payment on top of the mods I was buying. My wife thinks it's great that I have a hobby toying with cars. It mostly because I can fix most problems much cheaper than a shop. However, if I started a car payment on top of buying mods, my wife wouldn't be too happy about my "hobby".

What does everyone's wife think of you hobby?

Dave
Old 12-13-2001, 11:05 AM

36, 3 kids, 12 yrs. married. On second house, 17th car (none left stock), 30+ motorcycles, one 27-yr old Pace Arrow motorhome. (Honey, how 'bout we put headers on the 440 Dodge engine in the motorhome?)

As for favorites, that would've been the '72 LeMans Convertible I restored/hot-rodded a while back. Sold it for more than I had in it, if you count my time as about 3 cents an hour... Second to that would be my current '94 Max. Only has 68K miles on it. Have had it about 2 months / 3000 miles now. Bone stock, but I'm putting my plan together.....

Kirk
Old 12-13-2001, 11:05 AM

wow I feel better now

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephen Max
[B]I'm 48, knocking on 49, two kids, wife of 26 years.

48 and still modding a Maxima. My future looks bright!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ivolley
I notice that most of us are early 20s. It just seems so different when you are married w/kids and are an enthusiast prime example:
My six yr old liked my 3rd GEN better because she says "Daddy I could hear your car coming down the street" (INTAKE & Exhaust) My wife does not want me to get a CAI because on the 4th gen she says "Baby you need to buy yourself something nice" I told her I was TRYING to! I can only imagine how I would be if I were single and no kids, I would really focus more time on the Maxima. When I was most of your ages (early 20s) I was driving a 85SE 5sp my first car That was the 4DSC then

"lights are on"

I thought I was duh man
Nope, you're not the only one. Over 30, kid, wife, & a cat! Where'd all the money go?
Old 12-13-2001, 11:13 AM

I'm 34, single, own a house and two 2K1 Max's (a five speed an an auto) - although I've got one for sale (the auto!). I just bought my first Max in April, a 2K1 auto SE. I'd never been into modding at all until I bought my Max, but after being on this board for a couple of months I cought the mod bug in a big way! I'd been wanting a car that had some style an refinement to it but was still performance oriented and didn't feel like spending 40K on a BMW/AUDI ect.

I've got to give you married guys with kids, lotsa props for finding the time, money, energy, and enthusiasm to mod! We need more of you!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:58 AM

I'm 24 married with one kid and one in the oven, I'm getting a house soon so I'll have my own garage to do my mods. I really look forward to it. I'd like a 2K2 though.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:59 AM

LOL - the family that hot-rods together, stays together...

When I (we) were restoring my LeMans, both my boys, then 6 & 8 yrs old, wanted to learn how to run the sandblaster. There they were, out behind the shed, wearing a sandblasting hood that came down below their belly-buttons blasting away on rusty, 30-yr old front suspension components. A regular Kodak-moment. LOL
Old 12-13-2001, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Guess I am not the only one, feel better already. 36 with 3 kids
and don't want to stop modding my max. At the beginning I thought I
was one of the oldest guy on the Org.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by benny
Guess I am not the only one, feel better already. 36 with 3 kids
and don't want to stop modding my max. At the beginning I thought I
was one of the oldest guy on the Org.

No, you're not the ONLY one. But..... I've seen replies from 48, 41 and a pair of 36's, so evidently, you ARE ONE of the oldest.....
Old 12-13-2001, 12:50 PM
HPS

30 yrs old, married, one beautiful 8 month old baby girl. I have the usual bills - new house payment, 2 car payments and 2 sets of college tuition.

I, too, was quite into modding, but not of the Maxima kind. I just traded in my 1998 Acura Integra 4 dr GS-R (AEM CAI, AEM Cam Gears, Crower Cams, Kamikaze 4-1 Header, AEM Underdrive Pulleys, custom straight cat-back exhaust, 17" Kosei Racing Senakas).

Now, I'm much more into an automagic (especially when I'm driving our daughter around) and needed something a bit bigger than the 'Tegra.

Am I ready to mod the Max? Not internally, but definitely on the exterior. Personally, I guess my priorities started to change. Now, my discretionary income goes more toward our daughter and my hobbies (baseball card collecting) than my cars. Oh, well.

Are far as my wife? She's glad I got rid on the 'Tegra. It was too loud for her. Oh, well.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:32 PM

I'm been modding since my dad modded his 72 olds omega, cutlass
supreme, and various other GM and ford cars. I'm 37 with 2 kids who
helping me modding my 87 max while I drive my 02 TL Type-s to work.

mike

Originally posted by ivolley

"lights are on"

I thought I was duh man
Old 12-13-2001, 01:43 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

geez this one pulled out all old timers
Old 12-13-2001, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
geez this one pulled out all old timers
Why yes it did.
I'm 46, married for 28 years, 2 kids 17 & 20. I'm having almost as fun with my Max as I did with the 66 GTO I had in high school.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:00 PM

48, kids, house, stuff. You just know this is going to be a shorter list than a poll of under 20.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:47 PM

39 and 2 kids

I'll be 40 next year. This is my second Maxima and probably won't be my last. Back seat space is one of the reasons I bought it. I used to wonder why younger guys without kids preferred this car. I don't wonder anymore. I never considered mods until I joined this forum. Now I've done a few, it's an easy obsession to catch. I've told my 6 year old that my '00 SE will be her first car! She agreed as long as she can change the color from black to yellow. With our paint jobs it might be an improvement. The 3 yo boy says he wants a "black car like yours" when he grows up. They really make you want to smile sometimes...

y
Old 12-13-2001, 11:03 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I turned 91 few months ago and I turned 19 about 2 hours ago, no kids, no wife
Guess my real age.

98 gxe, on my 2nd maxima, yes I'm a fool for spending everything I have and more on this car, but I love cars, and I commute a good 20k miles a year, I definately see the maxima as the best bang for the buck overall car. I don't see myself driving anything else in the near future, unless my financial situation changes drastically and I can afford a GS Lexus or a 5 series BMW.

I have a lot of respect for older guys who mod cars and do everything themselves. My father used to be this way, until he saw the mighty Mercury Sable run well for 5+ years with no repairs or care... lol. He laughs at me getting paranoid over little things such as being a few thousand miles late for an oil change.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:11 PM
is invisible

Re: 39 and 2 kids

Originally posted by y sleep
I'll be 40 next year. This is my second Maxima and probably won't be my last. Back seat space is one of the reasons I bought it. I used to wonder why younger guys without kids preferred this car. I don't wonder anymore.

I never considered mods until I joined this forum. Now I've done a few, it's an easy obsession to catch.
You've been sucked in, there is no release!