General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about painting glass lamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Tha Snatcher

Question about painting glass lamps

A week ago i deceided to look for these fog lamps.

I looked online at a few retailers and found out that the factory that made these is no longer in business. Awesome. So I might as well get some paint and try to replicate the color on my current fogs. I have a few questions because I suck at painting.

What should I do to prep the glass?
What kinda paint should I use?
Anything else I need to know?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM

r you talkin about painting the housing or da glass itself..??cuz as far as i remember they have yellow foglight tints
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM

you sure you want yellow fogs? in lots of places, yellow fogs arent allowed and its one of those stupid reasons to get pulled over for. if theyre clear right now, i wouldnt paint them
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 PM

well to answer your question.. you need to remove the fogs first thing.... then you need to sand them down so it has a rough surface on it.. then you have to spray it 3 times... lightly all three times.....

heres a link where a guy tinted his lights...

PART ONE :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0...eature=related

PART TWO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-hZ...eature=related
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by redcross631
r you talkin about painting the housing or da glass itself..??cuz as far as i remember they have yellow foglight tints
I was talking about painting the glass, not the housings. I didnt know that there was yellow film for the glass. I'll search for that.

Originally Posted by chrome91
you sure you want yellow fogs? in lots of places, yellow fogs arent allowed and its one of those stupid reasons to get pulled over for. if theyre clear right now, i wouldnt paint them
Yeah, Im sure. Yellow fogs arent illegal in the states. There are ppl driving around w/ purple HIDs and they dont get hassled from the police.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
Yeah, Im sure. Yellow fogs arent illegal in the states. There are ppl driving around w/ purple HIDs and they dont get hassled from the police.
good lol. i know some cops are picky and pull people over for clear corners and yellow fogs because they have nothing better to do
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by cmejatt
well to answer your question.. you need to remove the fogs first thing.... then you need to sand them down so it has a rough surface on it.. then you have to spray it 3 times... lightly all three times.....

heres a link where a guy tinted his lights...

PART ONE :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSKA0...eature=related

PART TWO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8-hZ...eature=related
Thanks dude, i'll take a look.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
I was talking about painting the glass, not the housings. I didnt know that there was yellow film for the glass. I'll search for that.
i would suggest using da film instead of painting it....if you apply the film right it won't peel off like a lot of people complain...plus, unlike da paint, its easier to take a film off and go back to the stock look
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by redcross631
i would suggest using da film instead of painting it....if you apply the film right it won't peel off like a lot of people complain...plus, unlike da paint, its easier to take a film off and go back to the stock look

your right it is easier ..... but i feel like spray might give it better look them the film... also to take it off you can use any brake cleaner.. n paint comes right off.. i tinted my tail lights .. then after few months later i bought the led tails n took of tint on my oem tail lights... took me like 10 minutes ..real easy both ways which ever way u decided to go with..