General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

convert cai to popcharger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 08:07 AM

convert cai to popcharger?

I was wondering if there is any way to conver a cai setup such as prcai, to a popcharger setup (using the same cai equipment, not buying a separate stillen/jwt kit). I would really be interested in buying a cai if this is possible. I want to be able to convert from cai setup in the summer months to the popcharger setup during the winter months.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:17 AM
Getting back to his roots

Re: convert cai to popcharger?

It's easy -- just remove the lower piece of piping, take the filter and attach it to the upper piece of piping. I was considering doing that this winter, but I'm lazy and don't want to take apart my fenderwall and struggle with the filter piece again.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:24 AM

Re: Re: convert cai to popcharger?

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
It's easy -- just remove the lower piece of piping, take the filter and attach it to the upper piece of piping. I was considering doing that this winter, but I'm lazy and don't want to take apart my fenderwall and struggle with the filter piece again.
thanks for the reply mizeree... you don't need any special connectors to buy to attach the filter to the upper piece of piping, or they just naturally fit together? btw, if this is possible, why don't more people just buy the cai and use it as a popcharger instead of the stillen? it would be more versatile and prcai and stillen cost almost the same. just wondering
Old 12-15-2001, 09:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: convert cai to popcharger?

No, you don't need a special connector -- the filter's inner diameter matches the outer diameter of the piping. The kit comes with a mass air flow adaptor bracket, which is really the only "adaptor" you need for the setup. Secondly, some people DO buy the CAI and convert to a popcharger, but the Stillen popcharger has a bigger filter element than the CAI. Also, the JWT popcharger (exact same thing) is about $120, which is much cheaper than the PR CAI. That said, the CAI is the best option because it gives the most gains and can be converted into a popcharger if necessary.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: convert cai to popcharger?

That said, the CAI is the best option because it gives the most gains and can be converted into a popcharger if necessary. [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah, i'm definitely going with cai... jut have to figure out if i should buy place racing or wait till aem comes out with one that has built in bypass valve for the max
Old 12-15-2001, 10:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i wanted to get a CAI real soon,and i also worry about snow and such gettin in the filter,i know about the AEM bypass valve for CAI but im not sure if it works with CAI's other than AEM,s..looking at the design it look like it would fit,if you didnt know how it works,its basicly like a small temporary valve/filter and im guessin when it tries to suck up water from the CAI,its too heavy to suck up so it starts suckin through the bypass valve,anyone have one let me know,its something to look at if you have a CAI,this piece goes for like $40-$60 depending on where you look
Old 12-15-2001, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Rancid90SE
i wanted to get a CAI real soon,and i also worry about snow and such gettin in the filter,i know about the AEM bypass valve for CAI but im not sure if it works with CAI's other than AEM,s..looking at the design it look like it would fit,if you didnt know how it works,its basicly like a small temporary valve/filter and im guessin when it tries to suck up water from the CAI,its too heavy to suck up so it starts suckin through the bypass valve,anyone have one let me know,its something to look at if you have a CAI,this piece goes for like $40-$60 depending on where you look
I wondered the same thing and e-mailed PR and they said that they would cut a piece of the lower pipe to get it on.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:34 PM

I worried alot about that too, but after you install it, you can't even see it from the ground; its buried behind the fenderwall. If your eyes can't see it, then the rain / snow will have a really hard time reaching it. Even so, if you're worried just convert to a popcharger and you'll be all set.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:46 PM

I worried alot about that too, but after you install it, you can't even see it from the ground; its buried behind the fenderwall. If your eyes can't see it, then the rain / snow will have a really hard time reaching it. Even so, if you're worried just convert to a popcharger and you'll be all set.
not for nothin but water can get into places the naked eye cant see
Old 12-15-2001, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: convert cai to popcharger?

No, you don't need a special connector -- the filter's inner diameter matches the outer diameter of the piping. The kit comes with a mass air flow adaptor bracket, which is really the only "adaptor" you need for the setup. Secondly, some people DO buy the CAI and convert to a popcharger, but the Stillen popcharger has a bigger filter element than the CAI. Also, the JWT popcharger (exact same thing) is about $120, which is much cheaper than the PR CAI. That said, the CAI is the best option because it gives the most gains and can be converted into a popcharger if necessary.
DId I miss something??? Why are people converting the cold air to a pop charger?? Ive hheard of a few people adding the k&n filter onto their cai because the k&n has a bigger filter. but why cai to pop charger?
Old 12-15-2001, 08:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: convert cai to popcharger?

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

DId I miss something??? Why are people converting the cold air to a pop charger?? Ive hheard of a few people adding the k&n filter onto their cai because the k&n has a bigger filter. but why cai to pop charger?
i want to be able to convert cai to popcharger in the winter months because it snows a lot in upstate new york and melts into these really deep puddles, and when you ride over them they splash a couple feet in the air! otherwise i would just get the aem intake with the bypass valve but i don't think they started making them for the max yet.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i converted mine when i was ready to sell my car because i wanted to get the intake back together but i need the sound. it was easy, and you can get a bypass valve too