General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My '95 Maxima totalled...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 03:48 PM

My '95 Maxima totalled...need advice

My 1995 SE (black w/black leather interior; auto) was recently totalled (details below for the interested). I now need to decide on my next new car.

I love Maximas. The '95 was my second; the first was an '87? '89 SE 5 spd if I remember right (the real boxy model with a V6). I keep thinking the timing is awful. I like the 2002 SE's well enough, but I wish I could get the DEFINITIVE answer on whether the 2002 is the last year of the current design or not. Some posts suggest that the new model will be the 2004, but what to make of the new plant in the US that will be churning out Max's? Would they start a new plant with only a year's worth of production before re-tooling?

If the 2003 will be the same as the 2002, I'd probably go for the 2002 (though finding the model I want: Sterling Mist w/black leather, Bose 6CD in dash, sunroof, auto but NOT Meridian Package, side air bags, etc., has not been easy (I'm in LA).

Other options I'm considering:

An Altima SE loaded. Nice modern looks but the interior finish left me a bit underwhelmed.

Infiniti G35. Coming out in April, rear drive, 260hp, looks to be based on the Altima. I'd need a car while I'm waiting, and the early G35's may command a premium.

Thoughts?

About the accident:

I went to lunch at a local dive. Parked on the street. Finished early and went and sat in my car to read the newspaper. Some guy in a small Ford pickup comes out of nowhere and rear-ends me. $8200 estimate to repair. He had to try hard to hit me: there was a car parked two spaces behind me that he also nicked on his way to hitting me at an angle. I got bounced around (no seat belt--I was parked!) and hit my head on the visor clip (visor was to the side). Everyone walked away; me a bit dazed for a few days; CT scan didn't show anything.

The car was in good condition with recent new tires and a new air conditioner condensor. Insurance is offering me $8600 which strikes me as in the ballpark (car had 113,000 miles).
Old 12-26-2001, 04:01 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

The new Maxima is gonna be a tubby boat with RWD and V-8. Like the Q45. It will get farther and farther away from the "sports sedan" it is right now.

If you are tight on cash get another 4th gen 5spd and supercharge it.

I personally think the 2002 Maxi's look ALOT better than the 2000-01's. If you were to get one, get a SE 6spd in majestic blue...Mmmmm.

If none of those tickle your little fancy, get yourself the new G35. But that is gonna be an uncompromised sports car, the Maxima is a sports/family sedan.

It all really depends on what your lookin for.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: My '95 Maxima totalled...need advice

Geez, getting smacked while parked? What kind of lame driver perpetrates that kind of feat? In any case, you were uninjured and have a VERY decent wad of cash from it all--consider yourself lucky.

In all likeihood, '02 max is the last but it could be that the next max will be released off-season as an '04. Like you said, you are in kind of a sticky situation. If you buy an '02 max or Altima, will the next max or G35 (right around the corner) make you regret the purchase?

Personally if I were you, I'd buy or short-term-lease a daily beater with the time frame of a year to a year and a half. I'm sure some will say buy now because there is always something newer and better right around the corner...

Like you, I love my 95 and can easily see 3 more years of luvin'. Then maybe a new or used G35...
Old 12-26-2001, 05:33 PM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack
The new Maxima is gonna be a tubby boat with RWD and V-8. Like the Q45. It will get farther and farther away from the "sports sedan" it is right now.

If you are tight on cash get another 4th gen 5spd and supercharge it.

I personally think the 2002 Maxi's look ALOT better than the 2000-01's. If you were to get one, get a SE 6spd in majestic blue...Mmmmm.

If none of those tickle your little fancy, get yourself the new G35. But that is gonna be an uncompromised sports car, the Maxima is a sports/family sedan.

It all really depends on what your lookin for.
I don't think the G35 will be a sports car. The 350Z will serve that purpose and the G35 will be a "cushy" sedan that handles well (aka-lexus IS300). The lexus suspension handles well and ABSORBS WELL! It's nothing like a sports car. The skyline (G35 counterpart) is from what I've heard pretty luxurious. Can't wait to see the G35