General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Any info on 8-gen ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
What does FWD have todo with being roomy? My 4th gen has a freaking drive tunnel in the rear floor of the car. The exhaust runs through it but it pretty big
The Drive Tunnel is indeed there for the exhaust. However, a FWD set up allows car manufactures to squeeze the engine and tranny into a small spot that hangs over the front axle rather then a tranny and engine that sits in a RWD set up that would be in the middle of the front axle or sometimes behind the front axle taking up more space of the overall vehicle; Thus creating less leg room and overall less interior space.

Did you know the 4th Gen Maxima has more leg room then a Mercedes S Class of the equivalent year which is a much larger car? That's because the Benz has a V8 in a RWD set up that makes the car have less interior space, even though it's a much larger vehicle in width and length.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
Did you know the 4th Gen Maxima has more leg room then a Mercedes S Class of the equivalent year which is a much larger car? That's because the Benz has a V8 in a RWD set up that makes the car have less interior space, even though it's a much larger vehicle in width and length.
Interesting. Didnt think it would make much of a difference. My dads M35s is massive inside, as was my boss' 750i. I just would never think to myself "if this was fwd id have more legroom"

idk
Old 08-22-2011, 04:15 AM
I miss my VE

Interesting. Didnt think it would make much of a difference. My dads M35s is massive inside, as was my boss' 750i. I just would never think to myself "if this was fwd id have more legroom"

idk
Don't forget about that drive shaft that has to travel all through out the center of the car and take up all that space in a RWD/AWD car.. along with the rear diff
Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Don't forget about that drive shaft that has to travel all through out the center of the car and take up all that space in a RWD/AWD car.. along with the rear diff
Well yea, but I'm saying that even fwd's have "drive tunnels." At least my car does
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Well yea, but I'm saying that even fwd's have "drive tunnels." At least my car does
Yes but it's a small drive tunnel compared to a full on RWD car. Your drive tunnel only has to support the exhaust where as a RWD has to support the Shaft/exhaust and anything else that follows with the drive system.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Nissan may kill the maxima since the G25 and Altima-V6 covers the gap nicely.
As for the banner, I guess 1st gen gets no love ?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

These threads come up all the time during MY change-ups. Thread merge
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM

ive driven a fully built 3rd gen=POS only reason i have a max is bc it was given to me and i like working on cars so i started lightly modding. all the grown ups here have a bmw, merc, evo/sti...etc or a real sport car. atleast thats what im getting when i get rid of my 4th gen. of course to each their own but if you're looking for performance with rwd/awd stick with infinity or go with a Z. stop trying to make a 10 second mini van lol

Last edited by AZombiePENGUIN; 08-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by AZombiePENGUIN
ive driven a fully built 3rd gen=POS only reason i have a max is bc it was given to me and i like working on cars so i started lightly modding. all the grown ups here have a bmw, merc, evo/sti...etc or a real sport car. atleast thats what im getting when i get rid of my 4th gen. of course to each their own but if you're looking for performance with rwd/awd stick with infinity or go with a Z. stop trying to make a 10 second mini van lol
What's an Infinity?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:13 PM

u mad bro? calm down srs
Old 08-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I miss my VE

It's even more sad that you think an infinity or a Z is fast lol.. I wish you could see what my friends lightly modded 3rd gen POS does to those cars you mentioned after 100mph..
Old 08-24-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
As for the banner, I guess 1st gen gets no love ?
There was barely enough room as it is. Besides, the 1st and 2nd gens look so much alike (to me, at least), that I figured the 2nd gen reps well enough for the 1st. At least, that's the rationale I settled on when designing it. Sorry, man. It is what it is.

all the grown ups here have a bmw, merc, evo/sti...etc or a real sport car.
Haha! Nice try, kid. Only "grown up" enthusiasts drive expensive cars, eh?

Those preconceptions will likely come back to bite you as you yourself grow up, should that ever happen. (Knock on wood.) Not that I'm immune to it myself, because I sometimes have preconceptions about the emotional maturity of people driving a BMW, Merc, evo/sti... etc.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-24-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

I lol'd at nissan killing off the maxima. I dont think they would kill of their flagship sedan. Would be the equivalent of Honda killing off the Accord
Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
I lol'd at nissan killing off the maxima. I dont think they would kill of their flagship sedan. Would be the equivalent of Honda killing off the Accord
Mazda just killed the RX8 a few days ago. And Caddy just dropped the DTS.

Not exactly apples-2-apples comparisons, though. And I agree with you... Nissan wouldn't drop the Maxima just yet.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-24-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I see an all wheel drive option with a Vq37 in the engine bay, Seems like the maxima might folow the infinity M37 footsteps
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
blah

Not necessarily since the altima competes with the accord. Now if nissan killed off the altima that would be retarded. At the end of the day its all about sales and the maxima is no where near the altima in terms of making them profit. They could kill off the maxima if they really wanted to but it still brings in some sales. I would assume its purpose is purely to be low budget luxury car to compete with cars like Buick Lucerne, Acura TL, Toyota Avalon, etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 AM
blah

Originally Posted by TreMac873
I see an all wheel drive option with a Vq37 in the engine bay, Seems like the maxima might folow the infinity M37 footsteps
They would have to redesign the chasis. There's a lot more than just an engine swap involved. If you want awd get a g37x
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
There was barely enough room as it is. Besides, the 1st and 2nd gens look so much alike (to me, at least), that I figured the 2nd gen reps well enough for the 1st. At least, that's the rationale I settled on when designing it. Sorry, man. It is what it is.
But your given the 1st gen RWD guys no love.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Wonder if there will ever be a rwd Maxima? I guess it's just not the MO of the car...it'd be nice for the 8th gen to be more sporty again...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
But your given the 1st gen RWD guys no love.
Maybe. But I'm guessing that crowd likes to call their car a Datsun 810.

Or if they're feeling exotic (and a little ), then "Bluebird".
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

not really, everyone ive known with 1st gens calls it a Maxima, and 1st gens look nothing like 2nd gens lol
Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 AM

That's all well and good, but I was asked why there's no 1st gen in the banner, and that's the explanation. Right or wrong, I really don't care because the banner isn't going to change until the 8th gen Maxima makes its debut. At which point, someone else can pursue that project... I'll have moved on.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4th_Gen_SE

If I recall, the Altima, Maxima, and Teana all share a platform so in essence, this is a 2013 Altima. So maybe we can get an idea of the 8th gen Maxima from this, Nissan almost always uses the Altima as a preface for the Maxima...
I dont like this too much, the window sill/door handle line looks way to much like the new accords in the similar area.

if you look at the just door/side window areas you'll see it
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM

If I recall, the Altima, Maxima, and Teana all share a platform so in essence, this is a 2013 Altima. So maybe we can get an idea of the 8th gen Maxima from this, Nissan almost always uses the Altima as a preface for the Maxima...
looks hot.

spy shots
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4394801/
Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Lexus just called. They want their ES350 back.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
Nissan may kill the maxima since the G25 and Altima-V6 covers the gap nicely.
The 7th gens are nice cars. A friend of mine has one, and imo it seems like it has an identity crisis. It's luxurious and well appointed like an Infiniti, and I saw one at a local dealer with a panoramic sunroof and it was over 40,000 If Nissan tries to take the Maxima to the next level, it might not sell well and die the death of a Volkswagen Phaeton. Phaeton is a nice car built on the Audi A8 chassis. However, for the money they were selling for you might as well spend a few extra grand and get the Audi A8, and that's exactly what happened. I think that Nissan should focus more on the performance of the Maxima. The new Taurus SHO's have awd, twin turbo's and paddle shifters. I do think that a manual transmission could once again happen. BMW has always done well selling their 3 and 5 series cars with manuals. Audi isn't too far behind that, but most of their manuals are the A4 series and TT's.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 AM

I don't think the Maxima will ever be dropped. It's kind of become a niche vehicle just like everything else in Nissans line up besides the the original Nissan vehicles (Altima, Sentra Pathfinder, Z, etc.) Only thing I can see is the Maxima becoming is a Japenese Taurus as it falls from it's "4DSC" title. At the very least Nissan could redo the chassis to fit an AWD system similar to the Murano (FWD until slip is detected or something like that...?)and a VQ37...Lol, and a Diff lock button for when your feeling brave
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM

the AWD system on the Murano was nearly useless
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 AM

True, but it'd be a step in the right direction...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM

This, is Sexy.

I seriously Like.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 PM

a 2-door with a 6MT is enough to have me sold.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
You embarrass me.

Pretty sure the 6MT will be limited to Altimas. They've pushed the 7th gen to be a full-size near-luxury car. CVT and boat weight it is...

Anyone dreaming for AWD needs to clue into the G37X. They won't overlap that much, period.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Actually, to be honest, as much of a pessimist as I may sound like, the lifespan of the Maxima looks like it may be coming to an end in the next 5-7 years.

If you check out Nissan's website, they're pushing the "Ellure" concept. Which, at first glance, looks strikingly similar to the Maxima in the front and rear. Now I'm not saying that Nissan will actually follow through with this. But I wouldn't be surprised if they release the Ellure, and then slowly phase out the Maxima if the Ellure catches on and starts to outsell the Max.

We already know that the Altima is outselling the Maxima on a regular basis. But that's only because people can get damn near the same fit-and-finish in a fully-loaded Altima as they can the Maxima without the huge sticker tag that comes with owning a "Flagship" car.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Mazda just killed the RX8 a few days ago. And Caddy just dropped the DTS.

Not exactly apples-2-apples comparisons, though. And I agree with you... Nissan wouldn't drop the Maxima just yet.
I'm pretty sure Mazda killed the RX-8 because they're in the process of designing another rotary-based car. At least that's the static I've heard through the wire.

As far as the DTS...well...who cares? When you can buy an STS, which is just a teeny bit smaller, but a whole lot nicer, and aesthetically pleasing, to drive?

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-07-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Actually, to be honest, as much of a pessimist as I may sound like, the lifespan of the Maxima looks like it may be coming to an end in the next 5-7 years.

If you check out Nissan's website, they're pushing the "Ellure" concept. Which, at first glance, looks strikingly similar to the Maxima in the front and rear. Now I'm not saying that Nissan will actually follow through with this. But I wouldn't be surprised if they release the Ellure, and then slowly phase out the Maxima if the Ellure catches on and starts to outsell the Max.
I can agree with that, what my post meant was "IMHO I dont think they would kill the max and not have a replacement." Like I dont think they would kill it, not replace it, and let the altima take its spot...see what I'm saying? When manf.'s kill cars they usually replace them, and when they dont OR replace with something idiotic (like the SSR was supposed to replace the camaro....LOL) there sells tend to be affected
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Bump!

OK, let's get real the Maxima never has been or will be RWD. Chances of AWD are slim to none, but RWD definitely no.

8th gen will stay as FWD.

8th gen will not have manual option

8th gen will have CVT. This is almost certain, especially given that the 2013 Altima apparently has had 70% of parts of its CVT updated and even without a horsepower boost a couple of reviewers have found that the 270 HP V6 is quite noticeably quicker than the current gen V6 Altima and the transmission more responsive. Inside line gave it a 0-60 of 6.2, half a second quicker than current gen (their numbers are slow, though; this car is quicker than that). Some other site gave the 2013 Altima V6 high 5's 0-60. This is only with a transmission change and almost negligible reduction in weight. The Maxima will surely end up with the same transmission; Nissan is continuing to develop, not distance itself from the CVT.

I predict the horsepower boost to be 305ish, just enough to say it's over 300 now. I don't see a 30 HP boost happening.

I don't own a Maxima anymore, I do own a CVT-equipped 3.5 Altima. The CVT has its upsides and downsides. I am eager to check this new CVT out because if it can be much more responsive than the current one (it's not terribly responsive) and allow RPM to get up quicker (allowed by the CVT changing its internal ratio quicker than it does today), the CVT could help shed a lot of the negativity some give it. I'm not saying this new CVT will have it, but the technology of this kind of transmission could, and should, be such that when you floor it your RPM get up to peak power range almost instantly. The car could feel unbelievably responsive and would be fast.

Last edited by SkoorbMax; 06-01-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Let's hope 8th gen puts back some muscle into Max

I had an '09 7th gen - great power, great torque, decent gas mileage. Traded in for a '12 7th gen with (supposedly) more hp, better gas mileage. It sucks! I don't know what they did between 2009 and 2012 with basically the same car, but I get 3 mpg LESS, nowhere near the power, and torque doesn't kick in until about 2,700 revs. If this is progress, I'm afraid what gen 8 will be.
--------------------------------------------
2012 Max Premium, 18" low profile wheels/tires
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM

It's gonne be automatic, that's for sure
Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Buy an altima.... Thats as close as you will get to the discontinued maxima
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
It's gonne be automatic, that's for sure
you mean CVT.

Originally Posted by alexx0108
Buy an altima.... Thats as close as you will get to the discontinued maxima
Discontinued Maxima? Don't think so.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 PM

I see everyone stressing out on this topic, the next gen maxima is gona be an improved version of 7th gen, look at the new altima, looks like maxima, but its still offered the same 3.5 and 2.5 but "better CVT" and thats the selling point of altima. Same thing gona happen with the 8th gen nissan gona advertise their new improvements, but its still gona have the cvt and 3.5 v6 thats it, and im pretty sure its already planned. They will never go to awd because it would not make sense to invest that much more money, and they would not put in 3.7 because to much power for fwd. The 8th gen is gona be one of those rental car unfortunately

Quick Reply: Any info on 8-gen ?