General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Any info on 8-gen ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30DE-K
I see everyone stressing out on this topic, the next gen maxima is gona be an improved version of 7th gen, look at the new altima, looks like maxima, but its still offered the same 3.5 and 2.5 but "better CVT" and thats the selling point of altima. Same thing gona happen with the 8th gen nissan gona advertise their new improvements, but its still gona have the cvt and 3.5 v6 thats it, and im pretty sure its already planned. They will never go to awd because it would not make sense to invest that much more money, and they would not put in 3.7 because to much power for fwd. The 8th gen is gona be one of those rental car unfortunately
That won't happen. Haven't seen a rental maxima or cab, but I have seen rental Altima and cab. That's why I will never buy a Camry, Corolla or Charger. They are very common cab and rental cars. If I ever see my maxima with a cabbie sign or rental sticker I'm selling it.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 AM

I see everyone stressing out on this topic, the next gen maxima is gona be an improved version of 7th gen, look at the new altima, looks like maxima, but its still offered the same 3.5 and 2.5 but "better CVT" and thats the selling point of altima. Same thing gona happen with the 8th gen nissan gona advertise their new improvements, but its still gona have the cvt and 3.5 v6 thats it, and im pretty sure its already planned. They will never go to awd because it would not make sense to invest that much more money, and they would not put in 3.7 because to much power for fwd. The 8th gen is gona be one of those rental car unfortunately
.Based off of what?? Gut feeling? Dude its gone. I talked to a nissan dealership owner and it is done. Why make a maxima a big secret? Come on.. Its a maxima.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by alexx0108
.Based off of what?? Gut feeling? Dude its gone. I talked to a nissan dealership owner and it is done. Why make a maxima a big secret? Come on.. Its a maxima.
Nissan maxima is done? Says a dealership owner. Lol. Don't believe everything people tell you man. Maxima's will be around for a long time man, the real maxima enthusiast won't. Maxima's are changing from what people like to what nissan think is best for the company. Unless Nissan start back making 6spd manual transmission this 6thgen will be my last.

The model isn't dying, it's the enthusiast that kept it alive for this long are leaving one by one
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM

Yes the new maximas being used as rental cars along with fusion camry corolla civic and many others, matter fact im gona rent one of the 7th gens in a couple weeks when I travel outta state.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
The model isn't dying, it's the enthusiast that kept it alive for this long are leaving one by one
That's correct. I've left. I wanted a true sport sedan, not a sporty looking luxo-boat. Not that there's anything wrong with sporty looking luxo-boats.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM

I must concur with you and Rochester this for the most part on that, if they dropped the 7spd auto in it a good portion of those leaving would have stayed. That CVT is deal killer for lots, I know some don't want to hear that but its fact.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 AM

That won't happen. Haven't seen a rental maxima or cab, but I have seen rental Altima and cab. That's why I will never buy a Camry, Corolla or Charger. They are very common cab and rental cars. If I ever see my maxima with a cabbie sign or rental sticker I'm selling it.
Go to a Hertz or National/Alamo lot, they have quite a few of them roaming around. The sticker is usually on that back side small window real low or in the gas tank door, which is the recent trend on Premium and Luxury class rentals.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Nissan went back to their roots with the 350, a small hatch instead of a boat. After the 260, the z got bigger and bigger but then the 350 came out and it was back to the original design. I dont see why they wouldnt go back with the maxima as well. I dont think they will but it doesnt mean they wont, after all none of us know the decision making process they go through. With the american auto makers making sports sedans that are selling well I think it is a possibility
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Nissan maxima is done? Says a dealership owner. Lol. Don't believe everything people tell you man. Maxima's will be around for a long time man, the real maxima enthusiast won't. Maxima's are changing from what people like to what nissan think is best for the company. Unless Nissan start back making 6spd manual transmission this 6thgen will be my last.

Soooooooo anything is possible then until you actually physically see the maxima in person. So youre right. Nobody knows if it is or isnt and by your statement youre guessing too. we'll see.... this is now a pointless topic.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Nissan went back to their roots with the 350, a small hatch instead of a boat. After the 260, the z got bigger and bigger but then the 350 came out and it was back to the original design. I dont see why they wouldnt go back with the maxima as well. I dont think they will but it doesnt mean they wont, after all none of us know the decision making process they go through. With the american auto makers making sports sedans that are selling well I think it is a possibility
Nissan could do well to re-introduce the 240SX, or some variant, to complete against the BRZ/FRS twins.

As for the Maxima, it will likely to continue in the same segment: a slightly sportier alternative to the Camry and Accord. That's all it is any more, and we all know it, the lack of admission notwithstanding.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

We can all admit that Maxima lost the intimidation that it once had. Everyone is complaining how they hate driving manual cars in traffic, well I don't have that issue because my clutch is easy on my calfes and the car is just sexy to watch in traffic. But honestly that CVT thing a majigga they introduced does absolutely nothing for me. A few weeks back I drove my ex's AWD Rogue CVT and I felt like I was sitting in my livingroom watching tv. Atleast give me a car with a rpm that decieves my eyes.

The 350Z's and G35's is your next best thing but having those cars would mean that you have two or more vehicles because they suck in the winter, they have minimum space for cargo and if you have a family it won't work. So for me the Maxima's targeted every need I looked for in a car. Big enough for a family, enough cargo space for groceries, and what ever you can put in there, lot's of potential with performance and the market is growing for mods and aftermarket parts and accessories even though the car is 8yrs and counting.

It just sucks that maxima's aren't really maxima's like we use to know it.

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 10-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nissan could do well to re-introduce the 240SX, or some variant, to complete against the BRZ/FRS twins.

As for the Maxima, it will likely to continue in the same segment: a slightly sportier alternative to the Camry and Accord. That's all it is any more, and we all know it, the lack of admission notwithstanding.
To be honest I wouldnt buy it even if they came out with a re-design, at least not any time soon. I just prefer the design of 90's cars especially the 4th gen
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Yes the new maximas being used as rental cars along with fusion camry corolla civic and many others, matter fact im gona rent one of the 7th gens in a couple weeks when I travel outta state.
Why would you get a maxima to go long distance. The mpg isn't that good and you'd spend a lot of money refueling. Why not get something small, fuel efficient and light? Mazda 2 maybe... I had one for two days and if I go to a rental company and they offer me one i'm sucker punching someone out.

I hate those tiny, boring, pinched up cars. I don't even know why ppl buy them
Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

I rented a 6th gen Nissan Maxima in 2005 from Enterprise which conveniently was located next door to the local Nissan dealership. They do exist. As far as an 8th gen is concerned, Nissan has already disclosed that they will be reinventing the Maxima in the 2014 model. 2013 is a new upgraded 7th gen. This is not something new. The maxima will always be around. As a side note, those who keep comparing the Maxima with the Camry need to look again, the Camry is in the same class as the Altima. The Avalon is in the same category as the Maxima.
Ohh and as for the no maxima cabs, there is a Black 6th gen Cab on 22's with blacked out tails and headlights running around washington state. They exist. I will follow it and take a picture next time I see it. It is around where I live and I have spotted it like 10 times this summer.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11209244...ore-aggressive

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120829814

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-ne...265759.html/0/
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 PM

The Maxima died after the 5.5gen.

Maxima: The brand's flagship is scheduled for a redesign in 2014 or 2015. As with the new Altima, Nissan will use the redesign to make a significant gain in fuel economy.

I guess Nissan is going to slap a 2.5L instead of your hoped 3.7L engine

"Of course, we’ve heard Nissan over-promise exciting design several times before. Back in 2009 we were told the Maxima would return to its sporty past and have an aggressive, four-door coupe design. Instead, the current Maxima turned out to be a stretched, engorged version of the Altima. Its creased and rippling sheetmetal was certainly alluring, but far less exciting than what we expected from Nissan’s promises."

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 10-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 PM

As a long term Max/I30 fan (95 Max and current 2000 I30) I am moving on....In Nov will getting the BRZ
Old 10-27-2012, 05:23 PM

As for being FWD or RWD, the name really has nothing to do with it. The current Maxima uses the D platform (Maxima, Altima, Murano, ect). You never know, Nissan can do whatever they want, one day the Maxima could use the FM platform (Infiniti M, Infiniti G, 370Z, Infiniti FX), although not likely, it would be cool to have an AWD Maxima, because we'd be able to swap out that damn CVT for a 6speed from a Z and keep it RWD.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 PM

My guess is IF there's another engine, it'll be a fwd 3.7L. They'll probably keep the VQ35 and tune that more for economy, but throw in a 3.7L for those that dn't give a rat's azz about gas mileage.

But I doubt they'll do two engines..they'll prbably just increase the economy of the current VQ35 mated to the new redesigned CVT that the Altima folks are guinea-pigging for us
Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Nissan didnt go back to their roots with 350Z, even Nissan employees in Japan said they felt that 350Z were nothing like the legacy started with 240Z and that the last real Z was Z32. and Z33 were 3.5L NA, traditional Japanese sportscars were always sub 3L boosted engines, Z32 didnt even come factory turbo
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
L36

Its likely that il be returned 3.5L with 300HP but since they're approaching the reasonable limits for the FWD, they might pull the AWD trick they did with murano which was useless. Its very unlikely we will ever see a manual maxima ever again. Even less likely it being anything but FWD.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

^^The engines aren't even nissan designed either. IIRC

Last edited by 98MaxIan; 10-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 AM

RWD? That will never happen. But AWD feels like a possibility. A Diesel 6MT makes sense to me as well, but I think that ship has sailed. Nissan is committed 100% to their CVT and one-footed drivers.

Personally, when I think "8th Gen", I think to myself what the next Org banner is going to look like. Because the line-em-up design is getting a bit crowded.

I am in the AWD camp as well. I expect to see the 3.7 liter engine, and over 320 hp...which for a FWD is a lot. The 290hp of the 7th gen is a lot of torque steer...I hope they give it AWD.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by PalmettoFellow
I am in the AWD camp as well. I expect to see the 3.7 liter engine, and over 320 hp...which for a FWD is a lot. The 290hp of the 7th gen is a lot of torque steer...I hope they give it AWD.
That would be a slightly de-tuned version of their 3.7L engine, which isn't necessarily an unlikely thing.

The real issue is this: can Nissan's CVT handle over 300hp? I suppose there are all kinds of opinions on that question over in the 7th gen forum.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM
L36

That would be a slightly de-tuned version of their 3.7L engine, which isn't necessarily an unlikely thing.

The real issue is this: can Nissan's CVT handle over 300hp? I suppose there are all kinds of opinions on that question over in the 7th gen forum.
Good question, Ive yet to see a nissan with CVT on a vehicle rated beyond 300 HP.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Banned

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25799F00139BBC

Quote:
"The car that will form the basis of the race car is most likely the Nissan Maxima replacement that Mr Thompson disclosed to GoAuto at the recent North American International Motor Show in Detroit."

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579560081BD07

Quote:
"Maxima future uncertain as Nissan Australia confirms all-new mid-size Altima"

“The current Maxima … is a great car but it just hasn’t hit the sweet spot – and it’s about finding that sweet spot. We will be there with the next-gen Altima,” he said.

“Our intent is to have a proper medium-sized car. It’s no secret that the large-car segment is in severe decline, and it makes more sense to try and be more competitive in the medium segment

I am not sad to see the maxima disappear. I'v been driving and modding them for over 10 years and i'm happy to see it die.

"a supercharged petrol-electric hybrid four-cylinder powerplant with the performance of a V6" <--neat

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 10-30-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by L36
Good question, Ive yet to see a nissan with CVT on a vehicle rated beyond 300 HP.
Didn't the altima get a new cvt? Nissan can put 320 hp into a cvt if they want.
Also they have to distinguish the maxima from the altima in more ways than interior and styling to warrant an extra $10k.
I say it gets the 3.7 liter, and perhaps awd. Anything less is a failure imho...people will opt for the 3.5 altima instead now that it makes 290hp.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM

when should we expect to at least see a concept picture of the new maxima? I know the 2014 will debut sometime in 2013, but when is that usually?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
bald aggression est 78

If the maxima nameplate gets laid to rest Nissan should have a going away party for the last production maxima open to the public Then introduce its replacement the same day. i would attend that
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM

highly doubt it will be awd lmao at rwd. the 3.7 might make it though... and offer a manual FFS. you did it with the 1g i30 -- rare to find but at least you had an option. like come on it won't cost much!!! and add synchro rev match for when i'm lazy in stop n go lol
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM

This article is about the Australian market Maxima (Japanese market Teana) going away, not the US Maxima.

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25799F00139BBC

Quote:
"The car that will form the basis of the race car is most likely the Nissan Maxima replacement that Mr Thompson disclosed to GoAuto at the recent North American International Motor Show in Detroit."

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579560081BD07

Quote:
"Maxima future uncertain as Nissan Australia confirms all-new mid-size Altima"

“The current Maxima … is a great car but it just hasn’t hit the sweet spot – and it’s about finding that sweet spot. We will be there with the next-gen Altima,” he said.

“Our intent is to have a proper medium-sized car. It’s no secret that the large-car segment is in severe decline, and it makes more sense to try and be more competitive in the medium segment

I am not sad to see the maxima disappear. I'v been driving and modding them for over 10 years and i'm happy to see it die.

"a supercharged petrol-electric hybrid four-cylinder powerplant with the performance of a V6" <--neat