General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

IAT Mod, will it work on a Max??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 07:57 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

IAT Mod, will it work on a Max??

Apparently a lot of deomestic drivers do the "IAT Mod." This involves placing a resistor in-line with the intake air temperature sensor to fool the ECU into thinking the air is colder than it actually is. The idea is that this will fool the ECU into giving more spark advance. This can mean more power, it can also mean detonation.

Here's some links I found:

(these guys love it)
http://pub76.ezboard.com/fzx2racingf...opicID=2.topic

(this guy doesnt like it)
http://www.ecadinc.com/chane/truck/iat.htm

Anyone here have any useful input?

Maybe I'll have to be the ghetto guinea pig again...
Old 12-31-2001, 08:22 PM

Hmm..I'm going to have to go with the second guy. Anything that fools your computer into working differently than it should is a bad idea. It is a cool concept, though. Still rather have a turbo ...
Old 12-31-2001, 08:32 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by crusher84
Hmm..I'm going to have to go with the second guy. Anything that fools your computer into working differently than it should is a bad idea. It is a cool concept, though. Still rather have a turbo ...
True, but keep in mind that all those piggyback controllers that people use when adding turbos and such trick the ECU. It can be done right.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:41 PM
Honda Convert!

Originally posted by crusher84
Hey wait till March or so and ill have a stage 1 1500$ turbo kit for ya and youll be able to have at least 10psi with factory internals putting you at about 80 to 100 horses extra at the wheel all through the pwoer band, but if you want more you can get my stage two for 2500 which will come with lower compresion pistons, lowering compression to 8.5 to 1 which will work out so that youll be able to bump the boost to 18 to 22 psi. were talking 150 to 200 hp more.

Bruce

PS any other questions on this direct them to me at my email chessieone@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2001, 11:11 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

nope it wont work, if you read the factory service manual, youll read that the intake temp sensor only serves for diagnostic purposes only, it in no way controls how the engine runs.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
nope it wont work, if you read the factory service manual, youll read that the intake temp sensor only serves for diagnostic purposes only, it in no way controls how the engine runs.
Thanks for posting that, I was about to state it...
Old 01-01-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by papasmurf

Hey wait till March or so and ill have a stage 1 1500$ turbo kit for ya and youll be able to have at least 10psi with factory internals putting you at about 80 to 100 horses extra at the wheel all through the pwoer band, but if you want more you can get my stage two for 2500 which will come with lower compresion pistons, lowering compression to 8.5 to 1 which will work out so that youll be able to bump the boost to 18 to 22 psi. were talking 150 to 200 hp more.

Bruce

PS any other questions on this direct them to me at my email chessieone@yahoo.com
WOOHOO! I LIKE HORSEPOWER!
Old 01-02-2002, 05:26 AM

I did that in my 97 COBRA with complete offraod Exhasut, and 4:30s, with KONI/EIBACH road race susp. I picked up 1.4mph and .2tenth with the exact same 2.1 60' foot as with out the IAT mod. Then I got a check engine light, which was odd.
SO I scanned it and found that it was running too lean. So I added 5psi of fuel pressure @adle, ran again and dropped another .1on the ET and picked up .5mph on a warm engine.
It works, however very touchy. I would not recomend it.

I would recomend rerouting any coolant lines that do nothing but add heat to your intake plenum.
I found 3 lines on my 91 MAXIMA that I just re-routed backinto them selves. The result is the intake stays very cool except the portion near the water pump. the TB and AAC are as cool as the CAI itself. These lines were meant for nothing but to warm up the TB AAC and PCV valve. Basically for fuel economy.
Not recommended modification in freezing climates.

BTW; COBRA sold 10/05/01.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I tried the IAT and coolant temp mods on the dyno, they showed no power gains.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I tried the IAT and coolant temp mods on the dyno, they showed no power gains.
That is SAD.
For me the COOL plenum is just piece of mind, and I can say I did it I guess. Three cheers for Free modifications!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mr. Rose

That is SAD.
For me the COOL plenum is just piece of mind, and I can say I did it I guess. Three cheers for Free modifications!
Sorry, I meant sensor mods for both.

I'm sure the throttle body coolant bypass will help a little,
Old 01-02-2002, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Sorry, I meant sensor mods for both.

I'm sure the throttle body coolant bypass will help a little,
I'd have to say it is a BIG help. I remember LAuren out of DALLAS doing some sort of testing with INTAKE temps. he has a 4th Gen Boosted. He claimed that he was able to pick up about a pound of boost I think after he relocated the filter in the passenger fender.

My experiences with the coolant bypass are this..
originally the plenum would only be touchable for about a few seconds with the palm of my hand. The whole plenum was heatsoaked badly.
I knew there was at least one coolant line on the TB, and I discovered the AAC has one and there was one under the PCV valve on the back side of the plenum. After rerouting all of them back to the primary line(coolant just circulates in a brass line under the ERG and plenum) the WHOLE plunum was as COLD as my CAI next to the MAF, and I mean cold like tap water in December in 38 degree weather. not only is the top side cool, but the under side next to the valve covers are just as cool.
As I remember, Cool intake temps allow BOOSTED cars to dial up the boost? Is that right?

I have not had any driveability issues all week either. Idle and cold start up is normal. I'd like to get it strapped to a DYNO and see waht my little VG will bang out.