General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

interior detaling help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

interior detaling help?

Okay, here are the big pet peeves of mine.

1) The center console trim pieces, from the top to the shifter, have hairline scratches that can mostly be seen in direct sunlight. Could I apply anything to reduce this, and ALSO, revive the matte finish like in new cars? I really, really want this look. (I've even already bought some replacement black trim pieces)

2) I REALLY want a matte finish on my whole dash. It's pretty flat black already, but could I make it look even more dry-ish?

3) In general, a lot of my charcoal colored plastic interior pieces are scratched...but it can be removed with a few swipes of a damp terry cloth. Is there any way to permanently remove these blemishes?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 01-01-2002, 10:16 PM

errr...usually on my dash i just use a damp cloth, armor all and all that other **** only attract more dust. as far as the scratches, i dont think theres much you can do. i guess you could try regular wax and see how it goes from there. and for getting a dull look, whip out the 2000 grit sandpaper ..hehe just kidding but hope i was somewhat helpful
Old 01-01-2002, 10:18 PM

welcome to the world of minimas. hehe j/k. I dont know if this will work but maybe sandblast the trim to make it "matte"? you dont like any of the dash kits that are out?
Old 01-01-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
welcome to the world of minimas. hehe j/k. I dont know if this will work but maybe sandblast the trim to make it "matte"? you dont like any of the dash kits that are out?
a little low on the funds...
Old 01-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really wouldn't sandblast plastic trim unless you're looking to pick it up with a sponge. If you really want a matte-black finish you could try using mzmtg's interior painting procedure with a flat black paint.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:14 AM

doesn't painting plastic trim pieces cause it to be more easily scratched (kinda like chalk)?
Old 01-02-2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
doesn't painting plastic trim pieces cause it to be more easily scratched (kinda like chalk)?
I think he said he hasn't had a problem with it, but I couldn't tell you for sure.
Old 01-02-2002, 08:45 AM

Novis makes plastic polishes that remove light scratches. I have Novis #1 (light) and Novis #2 (med.). They work o.k., but it takes a lot of elbow grease.

I don't like the high gloss of Armorall either. They make a low gloss Armorall, but it is just regular Armorall diluted with water. You can save yourself a few bucks by diluting it yourself 50/50 with water.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:41 AM
OG and counting...

Turd,

There are other protectants on the market that will give you the matte finish and effectively protect your dashboard. Currently, I am using Lexol Vinylex and it does a nice job of protecting as well as giving me a matte finish. Another to look at is 303 protectant. That will definitely give you a matte finish and it has the highest UV protection of any protectant on the market.

You can get both at www.properautocare.com
Old 01-02-2002, 09:52 AM

I htink McGuire's Plastic Polish works well for the scratches.

I got mine at the county airport, because pilots of small planes like Cessnas like to use it to get scratches off their plastic windshields.

I used it to clean up a scratched stereo face, and it worked awesome...but it takes alot of elbow grease. I used a Dremel with a polishing bit and it went much faster.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:34 AM

I also like the matte finish on my dash. I just clean the dash with a damp cloth, and then use some Blue Coral Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. It makes the dash nice and soft like real leather and also protects it too. It doesn't shine at all though. Looks like a new car when I'm done.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:46 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NightRider
I also like the matte finish on my dash. I just clean the dash with a damp cloth, and then use some Blue Coral Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. It makes the dash nice and soft like real leather and also protects it too. It doesn't shine at all though. Looks like a new car when I'm done.
my detailer recommends using some type of leather cleaner for the interior plastics and vinyls too. he also recommends vaseline pretroleum jelly.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:37 PM

thanks for all of the help everyone.

But Smooth Operator, wouldn't petroleum jelly make it more shiny? I think my goal is to stray away from anything that creates a low gloss, even if it's nice.

Has anyone seen a grey 2000+ civic interior? it really has a matte finish. And yes, I feel a little cheated that mine isn't like that.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
thanks for all of the help everyone.

But Smooth Operator, wouldn't petroleum jelly make it more shiny? I think my goal is to stray away from anything that creates a low gloss, even if it's nice.

Has anyone seen a grey 2000+ civic interior? it really has a matte finish. And yes, I feel a little cheated that mine isn't like that.
actually, it depends on how much elbow grease you put into rubbing the jelly in. if you want it shiny put some on a piece of cloth (i use an old haynes tshirt) and lightly scrub the dashboard. if you want it dull (i like it dull too) use less jelly and more muscle.

i use a "dab" of jelly and work it into my dash its good for about one-half sq/ft.

my passenger doorsill trim is scratched up pretty badly so i use a little more jelly. it works quite well and help preserve the dashboard's oil.

honda dashboard materials are far superior to nissans. i used to own a 92 integra and the dashboard is pliant/soft to the touch. even my 89 accord's dashboard material is much better. honda dashboard tops have foam sandwiched between the vinyl whereas our maximas look like plain injection-molded (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).
Old 01-03-2002, 03:35 PM

I use 3M Swirl Mark remover on plastic scratches (works good on headlight lens too!) and Zaino leather in bottle on the dash and trim.