General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need info on fighting laser gun!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 11:18 AM
Eman97SE

Originally posted by WoodEar
Do you speed? Or you are always under speed limit all the time?
If you do speed once a while, does that mean you WANT your insurance to go up? I doubt it, like you said, it's taking a risk.
However, the consequences are, if you speed, and you are PROVED to be guilty of speeding, then your insurance goe up, you somehow skipped the middle part.

I go to court, if the offcer is certified to use that gun and used it properly, and it's a fact he was shooting at me and the reading was 91, then I suck it up.
Actually the consequences are that you have to live with your conscience. If you feel comfortable whining your way out of every circumstance you put yourself in, more power to ya! Sure it's a bummer that we have to have speed limits, and yes, I speed everyday. But, when I'm speeding, I know I'm speeding, and if I get caught then, I pay the fine and go on. I don't come on the BBS, tell everyone I was speeding, then solicit help to get out of it, and proceed to try to rationalize my actions. Oh well, I guess it's an open forum, and we're all here to talk "smack", whatever that means.

Old 08-31-2000, 11:25 AM
Eman97SE

Re: Re: I just don't get it...

Originally posted by DanNY
Originally posted by Eman97SE
An entire thread devoted to helping someone get out of something he admits he was doing? Why? Everyone speeds, you take your chances, sometimes you get the horns. If you get caught legitimately, don't whine about it and take up court time trying to weasle out of it, stand up, be a man and pay the fine.
That's the major problem today, nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions...
i guess you have to drive around in NY. in NY if you go 55mph..people will honk at u..pass you..give u dirty looks. basically you're going too slo.
i don't know where the rest of you guys are from...but come down in NYC and drive around on the hwys going 55 and see what happens.
your point basically states if i'm going 56mph in a 55 i should be ticketed and fined and also asses the points on the license?
so if you drive 56mph and sees an officer (not using any speed measuring device) should u pull over and ask for a ticket and confess that you're driving over the speed limit?..since you should take responsibility for your actions right? or is it fair that you're driving 56mph and you get a ticket for speeding? you can claim that the speedo is off..but hey you should take responsibility and pay the fine and the points anyway...right? no need to waste the court time.
sorry for the sacr..but i just don't agree to your statement. i know woodear went faster than 56..but if you're going to generalize everything then what hold true for the guy going 100+ will also hold true for the guy who's going 56.
i'm not flaming anyone..this is simply a discussion...
:P
Dan
I agree with you wholeheartedly. People in Atlanta drive +15 all day long. Those that get ticketed are those that stand out from traffic. If the difference in posted speed and your speed is negligable, then there is room for debate about the officers technique or equipment. But, and this was my original point, when you admit that you were doing a significant speed over the limit, like Woodear did, don't turn around and complain about getting caught. It's that simple.

Old 08-31-2000, 11:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: I just don't get it...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People in Atlanta drive +15 all day long. Those that get ticketed are those that stand out from traffic. If the difference in posted speed and your speed is negligable, then there is room for debate about the officers technique or equipment. But, and this was my original point, when you admit that you were doing a significant speed over the limit, like Woodear did, don't turn around and complain about getting caught. It's that simple.

ok..but i don't think woodear was complaining about getting caught..he just needs our help to defend himself in court. he got caught speeding...there's no way around that. but he's trying to lessen the pts on his license..and he said that he's willing to pay the fine..just not the ins increase.

Dan
Old 08-31-2000, 11:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didn't read all of the replys so someone might have mentioned this already. The officer has to be certified to use the laser. They have to be recertified every so often, find out how long that is and when that officer was last certified. I talked to my friend (his dad is a cop) and he said that alot of cops get certified and don't renew their certification until someone gets off with this excuse. He also said that the laser itself has to be recalibrated every so often (every six months in PA) and if it was past that date, it's a get out of ticket free card. A college buddy got busted doing 27 MPH over and the laser was a month past calibration, so he got out of it.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Also, maybe try to get it reduced instead of kicked out, you'll pay a fine but reduce or eliminate the points (aka. no insurance increase)

Bryan
Old 08-31-2000, 12:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: I just don't get it...

Well, I don't know... is your "word" legitimate? I mean after all, you were the one that told us how fast you were going, and that after the 911 pulled off, you maintained that speed.
Well it's two difference things you are talking about.
I know I was speeding, but whether the cop clocked *me* at *91mph* using *proper* method is another thing.
Btw, the reason I don't ask him anything at the scene, is because it's a wiser idea not to challenge cop's authority, even though you are asking a legit question. My friend Joey@Claws, got a speeding ticket in his GS400 and he asked for reading, that pissedd off the officer and he got 4 more tickets, for aftermarket exhasut, tint too dark, clear inner round taillight lense, and most ridiculous, yellow fog light which is OEM. You local cops might be nice but this is NY, $hit, when he walked over to my window, I was putting both hands on the wheel.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:12 PM
Eman97SE

Re: Re: Re: Re: I just don't get it...

Originally posted by DanNY

ok..but i don't think woodear was complaining about getting caught..he just needs our help to defend himself in court. he got caught speeding...there's no way around that. but he's trying to lessen the pts on his license..and he said that he's willing to pay the fine..just not the ins increase.

Dan
Perhaps

Old 08-31-2000, 12:12 PM
Disco Biscuit

Simple question......

Just to know, how off can a laser gun be when it's not calibrated?
Old 08-31-2000, 12:46 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Simple question......

Originally posted by Whitemax
Just to know, how off can a laser gun be when it's not calibrated?
dunno..5-10 maybe? but it doesn't matter in court..if it's not calibrated you can argue that it's off 30-50mph..ya know. the cops don't have a leg to stand on.

Dan
Old 08-31-2000, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have been reading most of the discussion going on about reason this should or shouldn't be challenged. . . If it were me, I would challenge this in court because of my own experiences. . . A few years back I was caught going 59 in a 25, yes I was speeding, I should have been caught, I was a stupid teenager at the time but I didn't challenge it and just paid the fine (it was only $100 because I was under 18). . . But the thing was, this incident stayed on my driving record for 5 years. This means that I had to pay the increased rates for those 5 years. I didn't have the option to take traffic school because it was greater than 15 MPH over the limit, so I had to bear the burden of this for a while. The thing I am getting at is we know we made a mistake, and it is bad enough that we have to pay the fine and increased rates. . . But if you can get it lowered to a place where the penalty is less severe, and the time you have to live with it is a little less, 1.5 years is bad enough, Then I say go for it.
Old 09-01-2000, 10:11 AM
Che

sorry bro......I have a link with some info......

<a href=http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/>Fight Your Speeding Tickets
Old 09-01-2000, 11:25 AM

Some great links for you to follow...

Here's the original article on the LASER guns from Car and Driver Online:
http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet..._cm_00,00.html

Here is a great site aobut fighting speeding tickets, what to do, what to get, what to say if you go to court, what they can say, etc. This is an invaluable source:
http://www.norman-law.com/page12.html

Hope those help. (sorry, I don't know if they were posted before, I didn't take the time to read the 4 pages of posts).

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net