General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Uhh OHH!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 08:40 AM

I think my transmission is slipping! Sometimes when i accerlerate hard from a slow roll(for instance coming to a light thats red and then turns green) i feel as if i am not going anywhere, just a whole lot of noise from the engine. But after I let the RPMs come to rest if i punch the gas again i take off fine. I have an automatic, I can only think of two things the transmission is slipping or the auto transmission has not shifted down yet. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I only have about 35,000 miles on my car.

Old 11-10-2000, 08:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

check the ATF level..do a ATF change if necessary..(which sound like necessary).
Dan

Originally posted by blackmaxSC97
I think my transmission is slipping! Sometimes when i accerlerate hard from a slow roll(for instance coming to a light thats red and then turns green) i feel as if i am not going anywhere, just a whole lot of noise from the engine. But after I let the RPMs come to rest if i punch the gas again i take off fine. I have an automatic, I can only think of two things the transmission is slipping or the auto transmission has not shifted down yet. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I only have about 35,000 miles on my car.
Old 11-10-2000, 08:50 AM
The missing moderator

No that's normal... it's called crappy nissan tranny programming. see.. when you are rolling, you are probably in something liek 3rd gear or what not. Instead of shifting down to a lower gear.. it sits there for a while.. doesn't go anywhere.. finally it will decide to shift down. My cars been doing that since new. So what I do is either get on it harder, or come to a complete stop.

-Shing

Originally posted by blackmaxSC97
Old 11-10-2000, 08:57 AM

Nahhh.

Thats just a crappy Nissan Tranny for ya. Mine has done it since day one. I have a 95 Se with 64k on it. Just try to stop first, or punch it real quick and then let out and it will down shift for you!

Good luck!

SHUMAX
Old 11-10-2000, 09:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same thing happens with my car in the same circumstances. Once it select the proper gear, it is fine. It is not slipping, just slow to choose the proper gear. Mine is a 95SE also and with 84k miles I'm considering an ATF change but will just do so when I install Don's VB upgrade and trans fluid cooler.

Jim
Old 11-10-2000, 10:22 AM

Don't worry... it happens to me and i have a 99 w/ 28k miles on it. I think what it is is that your rolling and the car down shifts into second not first b/c your sill moving. When you punch it its slugish. Like everyone else said.. either stop or just romp on it all teh way. Stupid nissan trans... if your S/Ced.. think about the VB upgrade.