General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2002 Orange headlight reflector removal: Info & pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Great job man. The headlights do way better with out that oranage reflector. Now maybe someone can figure out how to get the orange lens out of the tail lights...it would look much better without that orange lens with the clear housing of the 2k2 tails
Thanks, I have a little plan cooking for the tail lights . I will probably try to clear them out in a week or two.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looking good
Old 01-05-2002, 09:17 PM

Are you gonna get clear side markers? Looks awesome man!
Old 01-05-2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
Are you gonna get clear side markers? Looks awesome man!
Thanks, clear side markers are on order . The orange ones stick out like a sore thumb with the headlights cleared out.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:43 PM

Dare to be different.

Old 01-21-2002, 06:50 PM

wat did u replace the orange reflector with or did u just remove it for good?
Old 01-21-2002, 08:08 PM

i just now saw that and words can't describe how amazing that looks, envy and jealousy make a good start though
Old 01-21-2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02
wat did u replace the orange reflector with or did u just remove it for good?
Just pop them out and that's it. I have the relfectors sitting on top of my computer table . Of course there never going back it to the headlights.

mattattax, what are you waiting for? Get popping!

While we are on the subject I am thinking about painting the inside of my headlights body colored. I think it would look better then that crappy gray What do you guy's think? My grill will get painted soon too and I am clearing/ painting my tails in a few days.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:40 PM

weird how this thread came back. i looked at it a few times earlier today because i really want to do this. i think it would make a black 2k2 look 1000 times better. emax(sorry, i dont know your name), maybe you can do it for me for some $? you know how you did it, plus if i did it i would try to be gentle but i know i'd break something.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by emax95
My grill will get painted soon too and I am clearing/ painting my tails in a few days.
yup, im painting my grill too; black. what color are you painting it? the stock color goes with sterling mist as it is, in my opinion. but i dont think it works with a black car as well.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE

yup, im painting my grill too; black. what color are you painting it? the stock color goes with sterling mist as it is, in my opinion. but i dont think it works with a black car as well.
I am going to paint it Sterling Mist, I know it won't be a big difference.

I don't know if I really want to mess around with your headlight's it's kind of risky and all. If I was going to go through the bother and risk I would have to ask for a decent amount of money. But since I am planning on uponing up my headlights again to paint them maybe I could trade you mine + $100 + Shipping. Let me know if your intersted and your headlights would have to be in perfect condition.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:14 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks sweet...

Originally posted by SprintMax
i like this one more:
Old 01-21-2002, 09:24 PM

I am going to paint it Sterling Mist, I know it won't be a big difference.

I don't know if I really want to mess around with your headlight's it's kind of risky and all. If I was going to go through the bother and risk I would have to ask for a decent amount of money. But since I am planning on uponing up my headlights again to paint them maybe I could trade you mine + $100 + Shipping. Let me know if your intersted and your headlights would have to be in perfect condition.
you'd want $100 for them even though it'd be an even trade and the risk is already gone since you've already sucessfully completed it? i'd give you some $ but $100 seems like a bit much considering you wouldnt have to do anything you wouldnt have done otherwise.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:47 PM

you'd want $100 for them even though it'd be an even trade and the risk is already gone since you've already sucessfully completed it? i'd give you some $ but $100 seems like a bit much considering you wouldnt have to do anything you wouldnt have done otherwise.
It's a pain in the but either way you look at it. I put a decent amount of time into doing what I did. Anything less the $100 is not worth having to deal with everything. I am not even 100% sure if i am going to upon mine back up to paint them, it's just a idea at this point.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:57 PM

It's a pain in the but either way you look at it. I put a decent amount of time into doing what I did. Anything less the $100 is not worth having to deal with everything. I am not even 100% sure if i am going to upon mine back up to paint them, it's just a idea at this point.
thats what i mean though..."deal with everything" there's nothing to deal with. if i gave you mine you'd have to open them (or yours to paint them) so you can just pop the orange guy out at the same time. no extra work on your part. but i understand dont worry. im not trying to argue...at least not in a mean way. if you do decide to paint them i'd probably want to do the switch with you. ill keep in touch with you about it. no hard feelings with the mini-arguement.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:04 PM

thats what i mean though..."deal with everything" there's nothing to deal with. if i gave you mine you'd have to open them (or yours to paint them) so you can just pop the orange guy out at the same time. no extra work on your part. but i understand dont worry. im not trying to argue...at least not in a mean way. if you do decide to paint them i'd probably want to do the switch with you. ill keep in touch with you about it. no hard feelings with the mini-arguement.
"Conversation"

Everything ='s worying about your lights getting to me and in good condition(things grt lost and damaged sometimes) and then having to worry about my headlights getting to you in one piece. Then of course you may find a water leak or who know's what down the round and come complaining to me. Theres all sort's of annoying things to deal with on a expensive item like this. Anotehr big thing is I allready "broke the seal" on my headlights so taking them apart again will be a lot easier then having to cut through a new pair.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks sweet...

your continous winking =
Old 01-22-2002, 02:40 PM

Thanks, clear side markers are on order . The orange ones stick out like a sore thumb with the headlights cleared out.
Getting mods done on that new car fast. I love seeing that.

SuDZ
Old 01-22-2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Getting mods done on that new car fast. I love seeing that.

SuDZ
Yep But I am running out of ideas and fast. Body kit and ahh? A Y-Pipe would be nice too. Hmm..Nismo
Old 01-22-2002, 08:04 PM

leave them alone!! lol looks perfect
Old 01-25-2002, 06:40 PM

Does look good. But how is the seal when putting it back together? Is there a risk of water getting in?
Old 01-25-2002, 07:36 PM

Re: 2002 Orange headlight reflector removal: Info & pics

Tonight I decided to take appart my headlight housing and remove the annoying orange reflector. Heres a brief right up of what I did.

Tools: 1 hair drier
2 butter knives
1 sharp knive{swis army knife}
Silicone adhesive

First I started out by removing my headlight and bringing it into my room. Then I removed the HID ballast and all the bulbs{actually I left my HID in}. Next I grabed my hair drier and began heating up the lower right corner of the headlight. Once the glue got good and hot I grabed my knive and started pushing through the outside of the headlight capsule while constantly heating up the area I was working on with my hair drier. I worked it through a litte bit at a time. Once I made about 7 inches of progress I put my butter knive into the center of the area I cut through, doing this allowed the glue to not come back in contact and re-harden. Then with my knife I started cutting through the other side{oppisite direction from where I started}, then after doing another 8 inches of cutting I shoved another butter knive into the parameter of the headlight. From there I just continued cutting and shortly after the headlight was comming apart, I now used my butter knives as wedges and slowly{gentley too} seperated the headlight. Once the headlight was completly opened I used another butter knive to pop out the little orange refector, it just poped right out. After that I looked everything over to make sure I did not leave any stains or fingerprints inside the headlight.

Now it was time to put the headlight back together. I just re-heated the glue a little bit at a time and pushed the headlight back together.

At this point I have only done my front right headlight{I will do the other tomarrow}, it took me approx. 1 hour and 45 minutes{ I was taking pics too}.

Warning: This procedure is very dangerous, you can very easaly screw up and crack your headlight housing. The key to doing this is taking your time and looking everything over twice before doing it. If you break your headlights, don't blame me.

Now I took about 10 pics, {want to host them Russ?} they are currently on clubphoto.com but will dissapear in 90 day's. So if Russ or someone wants to take my pics and do a how to that whould cool{email me first}.

Now here are a few pics, I will add a link of all the pics in a moment.

check your PM's
Old 01-25-2002, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Joe_R
Does look good. But how is the seal when putting it back together? Is there a risk of water getting in?
Silicone. There is no leaks in the lights.

GTRider, you got a PM

Anthony, your right, I am going to just leave them alone.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:41 PM

Dude that looks so hot. How are the taillights coming? I remember reading that thread a long time ago, but never saw the finished product.

You should start a business. You'd probably get a nice profit, although it definately seems like you're already doing ok since you have 2 nice Maximas.

Later man, and keep up the good work.
-Nick
Old 01-25-2002, 08:43 PM

Oh, and BTW...is your sig pic photoshopped? If not, those H&R's give one heck of a nice drop on the 5th Gens. On the 4th Gens, you can barely tell that they're lowered with the H&R's.

Later,
-Nick
Old 01-25-2002, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks sweet...

At it again huh sprint?
Old 01-25-2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Nick97SE
Dude that looks so hot. How are the taillights coming? I remember reading that thread a long time ago, but never saw the finished product.

Later man, and keep up the good work.
-Nick
Project tail light went to hell today! EVERYTHING was all set a ready to go and then came the glue... It got all over everything and did not stick were it was suppose too! I did a update of my tails with a pic yesterday, look at the second page for my thread. At this point I am ALL done tampering with my tails, it is a truely exhau$ting prosess that is damn near impo$$ible to do

My sig pic is not photoshopped, that's how my car really looks.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:56 AM

HOw to is up on vqpower.com with those instructions, Im watching out for your tail lights
Old 01-26-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
HOw to is up on vqpower.com with those instructions, Im watching out for your tail lights
Cool! No go on the tails though.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:45 PM

Cool! No go on the tails though.
I'll be around when your done
Old 03-07-2002, 10:41 AM

Heres a pic of the finished product. I love how it looks now!

E-Max,
Can you do me a big favor and measure the outside diameter of the Orange lens you removed from the headlight assembly? I'm trying to make a PC board that fits inside that cavity, and I want to make the board before I take apart the lens.

THANKS!!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

E-Max,
Can you do me a big favor and measure the outside diameter of the Orange lens you removed from the headlight assembly? I'm trying to make a PC board that fits inside that cavity, and I want to make the board before I take apart the lens.

THANKS!!
I will try to to it tonight. BTW it covers a can of pringles perfectly
Old 03-07-2002, 10:48 AM

mmmmm...... Pringles......

Thanks, I appreciate you getting back to me when you can...
Old 03-07-2002, 04:28 PM

are your tails photoshopped? (i cant tell if they're all red or just regular red/orange)
Old 10-26-2003, 09:15 PM

This thread it over 1 yr old...why bump it?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Yet another old thread owned by the search funtion.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:12 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by MacAlert
This thread it over 1 yr old...why bump it?
because someone asked, and rather than go through making a new thread why not bring back the old one and hope he reads it

the bump actually came from here

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=259043
Old 10-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Chrome bulbs....

I found these chrome-plated bulbs that flash amber when used, but when it is off---just plain pure chrome!! Check out Yahoo Shopping>>>autobarn. Lata! -Jeremiah
Old 10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/11hipesili1.html

these the ones you are talking about, sure are expensive
Old 10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Close, but it's a single filament, ie 1156 I think. Could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by redstradic
http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/11hipesili1.html

these the ones you are talking about, sure are expensive

Quick Reply: 2002 Orange headlight reflector removal: Info & pics