General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ADVICE - which Maxima suits me? 4th or 5th

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Larrfry

ADVICE - which Maxima suits me? 4th or 5th

I'm looking for a used Maxima with a 5 speed and I'd like to narrow the search.. How big a difference is there between the 5th generation and the fourth? Which trim levels came with rear disc brakes or meaningful handling improvements? I've raced in the distant past and I'm sensitive to vehicle handling and braking capabilities. I could care less about bells and whistles on the car but want good handling and braking far beyond absolute acceleration. Even more important are there differences in the ease of serving the 4th versus 5th generation at home. Finally do all Maximas need premium fuel (I'm cheap). Absolute top speed, is also important to me, although a few additional mph at the top end is not as important as revs per mph in top gear. I tend to cruise fast but don't want to wear the engine out needlessly. In short, what generation and trim levels should I look at?

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd help, but I specialize in 3rd Gens! Try finding or asking about a FAQ page that gives options and equipment lists for the 4th and 5th Gens to compare them.

Try the SEARCH function before asking or check out people's websites.

DISCLAIMER: Relatively unenlightened opinion -->
Unless you want to buy a brand new 2k2 Max though (255HP), I'd probably recommend a 4th Gen SE which (I think) has the same engine and HP up to 2001 at 190 HP with a 3.0L engine. I'd recommend the 4th Gen because it's got to be lighter than the 5th Gen and the SE because it has stiffer bushings and will handle better out of the box. Not sure if SEs were still the only ones available with stick for these years too. I think all these Max's will require premium gas since they all have the same motor.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You answers will be mixed...

Because most Maxima owners will say to get what they have.

GET A 4TH GEN!!!
-Cyrus
Old 01-05-2002, 11:51 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Get a 5th Gen becuase it is way uglier and a little slower than a 4th gen.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:56 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: ADVICE - which Maxima suits me? 4th or 5th

Originally posted by Larrfry
I'm looking for a used Maxima with a 5 speed and I'd like to narrow the search.. How big a difference is there between the 5th generation and the fourth? Which trim levels came with rear disc brakes or meaningful handling improvements? I've raced in the distant past and I'm sensitive to vehicle handling and braking capabilities. I could care less about bells and whistles on the car but want good handling and braking far beyond absolute acceleration. Even more important are there differences in the ease of serving the 4th versus 5th generation at home. Finally do all Maximas need premium fuel (I'm cheap). Absolute top speed, is also important to me, although a few additional mph at the top end is not as important as revs per mph in top gear. I tend to cruise fast but don't want to wear the engine out needlessly. In short, what generation and trim levels should I look at?

Thanks.
Drive both and make your decision then
Old 01-05-2002, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
You're asking for it...but I agree with you 100%.
-Cyrus
Old 01-05-2002, 12:10 PM
RussMaxManiac

Thanks.
Well if you want the handling and better braking, the 5th gen is the way to go. It handles better than the 4th gen, and also has better braking system. Top speed the 5th gen can do better thant he 4th due to its higher PEAK HP.

But for low end grunt and power, the 4th gen is lighter, so it will get off the line a bit better..but once rolling its all 5th gen, that is stock for stock 5spd for 5spd or auto for auto

Old 01-05-2002, 12:15 PM

get a 4th gen or a 2k2
Old 01-05-2002, 12:38 PM

Thanks.
97 Maxima SE
Old 01-05-2002, 12:44 PM
Administrator

top speed? wtf cares if you can go 150 and the 4th gen goes 145

and the fact that the 4th Gen gets to 100 faster than the 5th Gen .. who cares..

like they said before.. unless you are getting a 2k2 6spd .. get a 4th Gen
Old 01-05-2002, 12:44 PM

Re: Re: ADVICE - which Maxima suits me? 4th or 5th

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

but once rolling its all 5th gen
Old 01-05-2002, 02:08 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by SprintMax
top speed? wtf cares if you can go 150 and the 4th gen goes 145

and the fact that the 4th Gen gets to 100 faster than the 5th Gen .. who cares..

like they said before.. unless you are getting a 2k2 6spd .. get a 4th Gen
Well he said he wanted a better handlign and braking car. 4th gen doesn't have that. That was one of the most complaints on the 4th gen. The handlign sucked even after the suspension. Stock the 5th gen handles as good as the 4th gen with all the bolt on suspension stuff before springs.

Old 01-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Well he said he wanted a better handlign and braking car. 4th gen doesn't have that. That was one of the most complaints on the 4th gen. The handling sucked even after the suspension. Stock the 5th gen handles as good as the 4th gen with all the bolt on suspension stuff before springs.
I'll agree and disagree with Russ on this one. For general handling, I feel much safer with the rear beam in the 5th gen than that in the 4th gen, which I believe to be absolutely awful. However, the 5th gens acceleration doesn't feel as lively as the 4th gen until you are above 4.5k, which I don't drive at on a consistent basis.

I believe the 5th gen actually has less of a good feel to it in the interior than the 4th gen, even thought the 5th gen's interior has more "neat" stuff. It seems well put together, but doesn't seem like Nissan spent any money making it a "flagship" interior.....

The 5th gen experience made me appreciate my 4th gen that much more, which honestly surprised me. However, this opinion doesn't apply to a 2k2....and the handling difference alone would be enough to sway me to a 5th gen....

Test driving both will give you the best indication.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

I'll agree and disagree with Russ on this one. For general handling, I feel much safer with the rear beam in the 5th gen than that in the 4th gen, which I believe to be absolutely awful. However, the 5th gens acceleration doesn't feel as lively as the 4th gen until you are above 4.5k, which I don't drive at on a consistent basis.

I believe the 5th gen actually has less of a good feel to it in the interior than the 4th gen, even thought the 5th gen's interior has more "neat" stuff. It seems well put together, but doesn't seem like Nissan spent any money making it a "flagship" interior.....

The 5th gen experience made me appreciate my 4th gen that much more, which honestly surprised me. However, this opinion doesn't apply to a 2k2....and the handling difference alone would be enough to sway me to a 5th gen....

Test driving both will give you the best indication.
why do so many people say that the 5th gen has a "cheap" interior when compared to the 4th gen? i have a 5th gen, and i have been in a lot of 4th gens, and even my 4th gen owning friends would say that the interior of the 5th gen looks and feels better, in quality. and as far as quality is concerned, i hear rattles only when i am listening to the stereo at high volumes, otherwise, there are no rattles and squeks in the interior.
also in my opinion, the 5th gen front looks better than the 4th gen, but i have to admit, the back doesn't look that great, and the 5th gen gxe/gle back looks awful, big red cartoonish lights and no spoiler, it looks plain awful, but the se 5th gen rear looks great.
as far as power and handling, the power felt the same in both, i have only driven auto max's, and the 4th and 5th gen max both feel the same, but thats just have it "felt" to me. the handling, well, that kind of stuff doesn't matter to me, so i wouldn't know.
also, i think the 4th gen is quieter, maybe its just my max, but i hear a lot of the engine sounds when i accelerate, but i was in a 4th gen(95 gxe) and the driver, a friend, was going 100mph, and it seemed quieter than when i drive at 70mph
but like most have said, find a 4th gen that you like(sounds like you want an "SE"), and then find a 5th gen, and compare the 2, make your decision that way, either way, you're getting a great car.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Bman
I'd help, but I specialize in 3rd Gens! Try finding or asking about a FAQ page that gives options and equipment lists for the 4th and 5th Gens to compare them.

Try the SEARCH function before asking or check out people's websites.

DISCLAIMER: Relatively unenlightened opinion -->
Unless you want to buy a brand new 2k2 Max though (255HP), I'd probably recommend a 4th Gen SE which (I think) has the same engine and HP up to 2001 at 190 HP with a 3.0L engine. I'd recommend the 4th Gen because it's got to be lighter than the 5th Gen and the SE because it has stiffer bushings and will handle better out of the box. Not sure if SEs were still the only ones available with stick for these years too. I think all these Max's will require premium gas since they all have the same motor.
Up to 99 the engine was 190 HP. From 2000-01 the engine had 222 HP. All 4th and 5th gens recommend premium and both the GXES and SEs are are available with a 5 speed.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Which gen has rear discs? They probably have the answer on edmunds. Or just pull the wheels and see.

If it were me, I'd just clip the Sunday paper and buy an new SE for 21.5 grand. It's only about what, 5 grand more than a '98 SE. It's a joke, blue book lists a loaded 98 SE for 16.5 (try to get that there are some people that were born yest). Would I rather have a 2k2 for 5k more? Sure, I'd forgo the looks for a 0-mile car with Xenon.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:28 PM
SLOW

Are you planning on keeping the car stock or modding it? Thats the first question that comes into my mind.

All 4th and 5th gens have rear disk brakes. For handling, acceleration and braking, light weight is key. 4th gen is lighter weight. There's your answer.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:33 PM

isn't the 95 SE 5spd known to be the fastest 4th gen stock?
Old 01-06-2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by 97MaxGLE
Up to 99 the engine was 190 HP. From 2000-01 the engine had 222 HP. All 4th and 5th gens recommend premium and both the GXES and SEs are are available with a 5 speed.
Ah, thank you! You learn something new everyday.

And I agree the future plans for the car are something to consider. The 4th Gen has far, far more aftermarket support (for the moment) with lots of body, suspension, and engine mods (like a supercharger).
Old 01-06-2002, 08:26 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Are you planning on keeping the car stock or modding it? Thats the first question that comes into my mind.

All 4th and 5th gens have rear disk brakes. For handling, acceleration and braking, light weight is key. 4th gen is lighter weight. There's your answer.
Umm weigth has nothing to do with better handling....only for acceleration.

Old 01-06-2002, 08:27 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Bman

Ah, thank you! You learn something new everyday.

And I agree the future plans for the car are something to consider. The 4th Gen has far, far more aftermarket support (for the moment) with lots of body, suspension, and engine mods (like a supercharger).
Wrong. 5th gen has the same mods the 4th gen does from lights to a supercharger.

Old 01-06-2002, 08:32 AM
Administrator

The 4th Gen was more luxury Orientated and the 5th Gen was more Sport orientated.. thats why the 4th Gen Stock sits about 2 inches higher than the 5th Gen.. in terms of wheel gap..

as far as aftermarket suspension on both and what handles better? i don't know.. i guess that will depend on driver... if you are talking stock for stock.. most 5th Gen's now come with 17x7 and the 4th came with 15x6 and 16x6 .. wider and better tires do attribute to better handling..

but again i guess it depends on driver because i personally know medicsonic and myself are madmen.. and we will make a stock 4th Gen outhandle a modded 5th Gen with suspension.. because we take great risks and seem to be intune with the car and whats its going to do when .. so i can't really compare on that.. because even if i had two cars evenly matched.. i would probably do things around corners other drivers wouldn't.. in short.. i have no idea if a stock 5th gen will handle better than a suspension modded 4th gen.. even though it doesn't make sense

Well he said he wanted a better handlign and braking car. 4th gen doesn't have that. That was one of the most complaints on the 4th gen. The handlign sucked even after the suspension. Stock the 5th gen handles as good as the 4th gen with all the bolt on suspension stuff before springs.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:14 AM
SLOW

Umm weigth has nothing to do with better handling....only for acceleration.
What the hell are you talking about russ. A lighter car has less mass to toss around, and less mass to stop. Braking is deceleration, which is negative acceleration, so a lighter car will brake faster given that its brake setup is identical. And if you think that light weight has nothing to do with a car being nimble and handling well, think again russ. Lighter weight aids in nimbleness, making it easier to change the direction the car is going, which in laymans terms is called handling. You don't have a clue what you are talking about here.

If we go by what you just said, then a dump truck, given enough power so that it has the same power to weight ratio as a ferrari 355, would turn the same times around a road course. Get real.

It blows my mind that you consider yourself a knowledgeable car-guy and yet you just said weight has nothing to do with handling and braking....
Old 01-06-2002, 11:39 AM
RussMaxManiac

Try again.....

So your saying that a M3, M5, C5 vette, Fbodys, Supra, all suck because they weigh so much they can't handle? I am sorry but like I said WEIGHT does not factor in with handling. The suspension on the car is what makes the difference. The 5th gen has better design suspension than the 4th. The front is different in some areas and the rear beam is different. The car handles completely different from a 4th, except it still has the unstableness on rough roads taking them at higher speeds with hard turns.

Sorry I have more clue than you will ever have. I have been racing for 4 yrs now in autox, and let me tell you, weight does not matter.

What the hell are you talking about russ. A lighter car has less mass to toss around, and less mass to stop. Braking is deceleration, which is negative acceleration, so a lighter car will brake faster given that its brake setup is identical. And if you think that light weight has nothing to do with a car being nimble and handling well, think again russ. Lighter weight aids in nimbleness, making it easier to change the direction the car is going, which in laymans terms is called handling. You don't have a clue what you are talking about here.

If we go by what you just said, then a dump truck, given enough power so that it has the same power to weight ratio as a ferrari 355, would turn the same times around a road course. Get real.

It blows my mind that you consider yourself a knowledgeable car-guy and yet you just said weight has nothing to do with handling and braking....

Old 01-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Administrator

so are you saying that the GS 400, LS 400, Q45 and S Class handle great because they are heavy?

every knows that BMW is the ultimate driving machine.. and wieght ratio rather than weight is why the car handles perfectly..

C5's are how high off the ground Russ? i mean.. they have the same ride height as maxima's

F Body's and Supra's are sports cars built to handle.. not a family sedan
Try again.....

So your saying that a M3, M5, C5 vette, Fbodys, Supra, all suck because they weigh so much they can't handle? I am sorry but like I said WEIGHT does not factor in with handling. The suspension on the car is what makes the difference. The 5th gen has better design suspension than the 4th. The front is different in some areas and the rear beam is different. The car handles completely different from a 4th, except it still has the unstableness on rough roads taking them at higher speeds with hard turns.

Sorry I have more clue than you will ever have. I have been racing for 4 yrs now in autox, and let me tell you, weight does not matter.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:45 AM
SLOW

Try again.....

So your saying that a M3, M5, C5 vette, Fbodys, Supra, all suck because they weight so much they can't handle? I am sorry but like I said WEIGHT does not factory in with handling. The suspension on the car is what makes the factor. The 5th gen has better design suspension than the 4th. The front is different in some areas and the rear beam is different. The car handles completely different from a 4th, except it still has the unstableness on rough roads taking them at higher speeds with hard turns.

You said that weight has no bearing on how a car handles. That's crap.

I was saying in general, a lighter car handles better than a heavier car, given the same suspension setup.

I agree that in stock to stock comparison, the 5th gen outhandles the 4th gen, that was not my arguement. My argument is that ligher weight aids good handling and braking. If you have been autoXing for 4 years, then you surely know this. Do you run an autoX with spare and full tank of gas and whatever else your car may have, like subwoofers or lets say a 400 lb load of bricks in the trunk?

Russ its very evident you know nothing about autoX and road racing, you only know about your weak 15s in your mighty 5th gen. If you ever care to take your maxima on a real road course, like I have MANY times, let me know. I'm sure we could arrange something.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:46 AM
Administrator

you know what russ.. you are absolutely right.. i notice how sh!tty the light miata's, Z3's, preludes and crx's handle..
Old 01-06-2002, 11:46 AM
RussMaxManiac

Your point didn't go anywhere. My point is the weight of the car is jack to how the car handles. It depends how they have the car setup with the suspension and your right, the weight distribution. The 4th and 5th have identical weight distribution over the chasis since its the same frame. Just the 5th is slightly heavier 100-150lb than the 4th. But Nissan made up for that with the better design in the suspension area to help it handle better.

so are you saying that the GS 400, LS 400, Q45 and S Class handle great because they are heavy?

every knows that BMW is the ultimate driving machine.. and wieght ratio rather than weight is why the car handles perfectly..

C5's are how high off the ground Russ? i mean.. they have the same ride height as maxima's

F Body's and Supra's are sports cars built to handle.. not a family sedan

Old 01-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Your point didn't go anywhere. My point is the weight of the car is jack to how the car handles. It depends how they have the car setup with the suspension and your right, the weight distribution. The 4th and 5th have identical weight distribution over the chasis since its the same frame. Just the 5th is slightly heavier 100-150lb than the 4th. But Nissan made up for that with the better design in the suspension area to help it handle better.

5th Gen handles better because of better suspension parts.. not due to weight..
Old 01-06-2002, 11:49 AM
RussMaxManiac

Woah, big man, just because he hit 14s with more mods than me he is hot **** now!!! Man get a damn life you even try to start that (I got a bigger **** than you, hahahaha) grow up.

When I autox, I do not have the extra stuff in the car, because it does add weight, but also some stuff they do not allow in the car when racing (you obviously didn't know that).

I will be gladly take the car on a real road course, and plan too one of these days with Andi B, at TWS. Work right now is busy, and I am being trained for Cisco and CNE. So I am way to busy to even think about play time. That's why my CAI is still in my trunk waiting to go in the car after 3 weeks.

You said that weight has no bearing on how a car handles. That's crap.

I was saying in general, a lighter car handles better than a heavier car, given the same suspension setup.

I agree that in stock to stock comparison, the 5th gen outhandles the 4th gen, that was not my arguement. My argument is that ligher weight aids good handling and braking. If you have been autoXing for 4 years, then you surely know this. Do you run an autoX with spare and full tank of gas and whatever else your car may have, like subwoofers or lets say a 400 lb load of bricks in the trunk?

Russ its very evident you know nothing about autoX and road racing, you only know about your weak 15s in your mighty 5th gen. If you ever care to take your maxima on a real road course, like I have MANY times, let me know. I'm sure we could arrange something.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

5th Gen handles better because of better suspension parts.. not due to weight..
Ummm you can't read..I just said that.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Ummm you can't read..I just said that.
actually yes you did..
Old 01-06-2002, 11:53 AM
SLOW

I ran 14s when I was bone stock too, chief. Arguing with you is hopeless. When you get your mind set on something, you refuse to see the truth.

5th gens are faster

Weight has nothing to do with handling
Old 01-06-2002, 11:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

you know what russ.. you are absolutely right.. i notice how sh!tty the light miata's, Z3's, preludes and crx's handle..
Smaller cars, better weight distribution and better suspension design all make factors. I can take a POS Interpid and beat all the cars smaller cars out there. You know why? Is it because of the suspension, the car's more power, or its weight?

No, its because I would be a better driver than any of them.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:56 AM
RussMaxManiac

I ran 14s when I was bone stock too, chief. Arguing with you is hopeless. When you get your mind set on something, you refuse to see the truth.

5th gens are faster

Weight has nothing to do with handling
I never said 5th gens are faster. They are top end, but alot of people don't care about highway power more than around the town power. 4th gen has that for sure.

I have my mind set because I know what the **** I am talking about. Owned 4 maximas been here for 5 years...give me a break.

Also, big deal you ran 14s stock. I wish I could hit a 2.2 stock 60ft, I only hit 2.4-2.5! If I hit a 2.2, that takes .2 per .1 off my 1/4 time, so I would hit 14.8 from my 15.2!! WOW!

I know at least 4 people so far who did 14.7 stock in a 5th gen 5spd.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:58 AM

If you wonder whether weight makes a difference in handling, take a 1000-lb weight and put it anywhere in your car, wherever you want. If the car handles the same, you get a cookie.

As for the original question, they're almost the same, go with what you can afford and what looks better to you.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:59 AM
SLOW

Anyone who reads this thread will be able to separate the facts from the BS. You know I'm right, you just have a problem admitting when you are wrong. I'm through with you.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:00 PM
RussMaxManiac

Anyone who reads this thread will be able to separate the facts from the BS. You know I'm right, you just have a problem admitting when you are wrong. I'm through with you.
LOL. You just admitted your stupidness by saying, "You know I'm right".

Old 01-06-2002, 12:04 PM
SLOW

LOL. You just admitted your stupidness by saying, "You know I'm right".
Did you just say "stupidness?" I think the word you are looking for is "stupidity," Russel. Later genius.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:14 PM
RussMaxManiac

Did you just say "stupidness?" I think the word you are looking for is "stupidity," Russel. Later genius.
People who nick pic on peoples grammer are *******s which you are. That is the weakest come back you got.

Quick Reply: ADVICE - which Maxima suits me? 4th or 5th