General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

swapping Kumhos for Dunlops...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 05:15 PM

swapping Kumhos for Dunlops...

got 4 bad Kumhos so I decided to try the Dunlop SP Sport A2. will these perform as well as the Kumhos? They seem to be rated well. figure they should last a little longer.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How did your Kumho's go bad? I was considering buy a set for myself.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by unrealii
How did your Kumho's go bad? I was considering buy a set for myself.
they were bad when I got them...they would cause vibration in the steering wheel like they were out of balance..I took them back to where I had them put on and they ran a road force variation test which I think is the same as checking to see if they are out of round. anyway they were all pretty bad by their standards. so rather than trying more Kumhos I am going to try Dunlops. I got them at Tirerack and they said they don't get complaints about them and they were really surprised at what I showed them. I could have just got a bad batch but I didn't want to chance it again.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:44 PM

The Dunlops are high performance all seasons. They are good tires but will probably not perform as well on the track as the Kumhos, which are ultra high performance summer tires.

I've been rolling on Kumhos for the past 5000 miles, and they have been great. They outperform the Dunlop SP5000's I used to have, and since the SP5000's are marketed by Dunlop as higher performance than the A2 Sports, the A2 is likely to be lower performing than the Kumhos.

But my guess is that if you are rolling on stock 16" rims, the Sport A2's are great tires for that.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:01 PM

I have Kumho's on mine and got'em from TireRack as well and have yet to have any problems with them... knock on wood...

I will probably stick with them when the time comes to get new ones or if I get rims...which ever comes first...
Old 01-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ben4bamaMax

they were bad when I got them...they would cause vibration in the steering wheel like they were out of balance..I took them back to where I had them put on and they ran a road force variation test which I think is the same as checking to see if they are out of round. anyway they were all pretty bad by their standards. so rather than trying more Kumhos I am going to try Dunlops. I got them at Tirerack and they said they don't get complaints about them and they were really surprised at what I showed them. I could have just got a bad batch but I didn't want to chance it again.
wow...ur probably the only person who had this problem with the kumhos. you sure they're correctly mounted and balanced on the right size wheels? sometimes if you go too wide, these things happen.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:13 PM

I had Kumho problems too

I ordered 4 kumho supra 712's from tirerack a few months ago.. I had major trouble with the shop trying to get them aligned.. they did "the best they could" which caused vibration in my wheel at interstate speeds (70-80mph...above or below their was no vibration).. a few days later I had terrible vibration, took them back in, and one of my tires sidewall had come apart on the inside, and their were bubbles in the inside sidewall. We took the tire off and found tons of shredded rubber inside. I contacted tirerack, and they gave me all this BS about mailing it back and waiting for tests etc, which I didnt have time for so they sold me a new one for 1/2 price..that one came in and I have had no trouble out of it (knock on wood) but I havent put very many miles on them at ALL considering my car has been in one garage or the other for the past 2 months (minus about 5 days of driving!)... bad luck, but my bad luck is over now I hope.. anyways, I LOVE how the supras perform, Ihad dunlop sport w10's on my 17" tantrums before.. supra seems to be a good tire, a pretty cool tire pattern too...
Old 01-06-2002, 12:58 AM

I've read (probably on Tirerack - can't remember) that sometimes problems are caused when you get the tires really hot (I dunno, maybe by underinflation or really hard driving?) and then park the car and let the tires get cold again they can sometimes go out of round this way. Can't remember if this was for Kumhos (which some people say is too soft) or for another tire.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

wow...ur probably the only person who had this problem with the kumhos. you sure they're correctly mounted and balanced on the right size wheels? sometimes if you go too wide, these things happen.
Well I am riding on stock SE rims with stock tire sizes and felt the vibration as soon as I left the shop and went home. I'm sure they mounted them correctly since I had it done at the dealership with their sophisticated machine that only 3 exist in the state so I'm confident they did everything right...It balanced up well but if the tire is out of round there isn't much you can do to have a nice riding tire on the interstate...my steering wheel would just wiggle left and right between 60 and 80 and every little imperfection could be felt in the wheel. Is this normal...I just don't get this feel from my hondas.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I would get aleast the SP5000

If you want the performance similar to Kumho. Ofcourse the SP9000 will be the tires to get for all out performance.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: I would get aleast the SP5000

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
If you want the performance similar to Kumho. Ofcourse the SP9000 will be the tires to get for all out performance.
I'm sure that the Kumhos will out perform on the track over the Dunlops but I don't race...it is my wife's car and an auto but I bought it because it is a performance sedan and I like the handling of it. Do you think the Dunlops will do me fine? I paid more for them for 2 reasons...longer tread life and better ride comfort on the interstate. I hope these Dunlops will handle curves well since that is really the only performance requirement I have.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2002, 02:47 PM

Re: I would get aleast the SP5000

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV

The Kumhos outperformed my old SP5000's (same size) by a wide margin. The Dunlops carry the "Ultra High Performance" label but they are also all season. I was pleased with the SP5000's, but am even more pleased with these Kumho's.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:15 PM

Had problems with Kumhos too

I've got Kumho's as well and although they are a great performing tire at a good price I do think they are a little soft and tend to get out of round easily. I just had mine balanced twice at Discount tire and they told me the front's were out of round so they rotated them to the back. There's no more vibration and the car runs smoothly now but I'll be looking for a more durable ultra high performance tire next time.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:57 PM
nc00max

I just had my Ecsta 712's installed yesterday, then drove about 450 miles today and didn't notice any problems whatsoever *also knocking on wood*. I have the stock 16" rims and went one size wider as well (215/55 to 225/50). The only thing different was the road noise, but going from stock tires to V-rated, I was already expecting that. Are they going to give you your money back or anything?