General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

alignment ? is .8 and .4 bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 01:19 PM

alignment ? is .8 and .4 bad?

tire pressure is at 30 in all tires. The guys I trust at the shop that mainly do hondas said he evened them up to .5 like they should be...does this sound right? I guess .8 and .4 means one was in and other was out. Is .5 the correct setting? I had it done because it drifts to the left. put new tires and still drifts to left. had alignment and still drifts to left. Maybe I'm driving on left slanted roads a lot. He said it wasn't out much so I guess that is why it didn't fix it. Man these Maximas must have sensitive steering because my hondas don't do this.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:23 PM

It's within hte factory settings but the closer the two are the better. .5 on both would be good. Also check the toe and caster.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

.5 on each side is good. I'm running .8 on each side. That was the most amount of camber I could pull from the car. It seems to have solved the tracking problem or floaty feel at high speeds. The car tracks like it's on rails now. I used to have slight pulls depending on the crown of the road. (left & right) After I had the shop pull max camber EVEN at both wheels, the car definatly tracks much better. The steering seems very dead on. Very straight tracking with minimal steering wheel input.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
It's within hte factory settings but the closer the two are the better. .5 on both would be good. Also check the toe and caster.
Jayson, sounds like you know about the settings so I guess you're saying that .8 and .4 were fine and I didn't need to have it done but they're better now. Oh well, I guess that you pay for things just to feel better about it. I just wanted to make sure he knew what setting to use for a Maxima since he mainly does Hondas.. they could be the same setting though. What would have been out of factory specs?? just curious.. Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ben4bamaMax

Jayson, sounds like you know about the settings so I guess you're saying that .8 and .4 were fine and I didn't need to have it done but they're better now. Oh well, I guess that you pay for things just to feel better about it. I just wanted to make sure he knew what setting to use for a Maxima since he mainly does Hondas.. they could be the same setting though. What would have been out of factory specs?? just curious.. Thanks!!
I have the same problem on my max. Slight pulls when there are crowns in the road. So what was you final #'s?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:07 PM

The numbers 0.4 and 0.8 you refer to are FRONT TOE. Camber and caster cannot be adjusted on 4th/5th gens.

The specs for front toe are 0.3 to 0.6 I believe. Or something like that give or take 0.1". So 0.5" is acceptable.

As for the other settings, if they are off, they cannot really be adjusted. Camber can be adjusted via aftermarket camber bolts (which I would recommend, as my Ingalls bolts are not too great).
Old 01-08-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
The numbers 0.4 and 0.8 you refer to are FRONT TOE. Camber and caster cannot be adjusted on 4th/5th gens.

The specs for front toe are 0.3 to 0.6 I believe. Or something like that give or take 0.1". So 0.5" is acceptable.

As for the other settings, if they are off, they cannot really be adjusted. Camber can be adjusted via aftermarket camber bolts (which I would recommend, as my Ingalls bolts are not too great).
NO, camber can be adjusted just not alot. Toe can be adjusted. Caster can not. Front camber within factory specs is .5to -1.0 toe is .00(ideal to me) to .10 total steer ahead should be .00 but range from -.05 to .05
Old 01-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Eric L.

Camber can be adjusted on the 4th gen. You only have minimal adjustment range. The adjustment is basically the free play in the lower bolt holes of the strut/knuckle assembly. You can get about 3/4 of a degree of camber adjustment from the free play in the holes. I have found that if you run maximum negative EVEN camber, even being both sides equal settings, your car will track better, handle better and have less of that floaty feel that lots complain of on this board. I run -.8 Deg. camber left and right sides with .1mm toe in. I have absolutely no road wander or floaty feel. Just nice tight straight line tracking. It doesn't pull with crowns in the road, just tracks perfectly straight and tight.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

NO, camber can be adjusted just not alot. Toe can be adjusted. Caster can not. Front camber within factory specs is .5to -1.0 toe is .00(ideal to me) to .10 total steer ahead should be .00 but range from -.05 to .05
o.k. everyone has said something different. SOOOOO, is .5 acceptable and better than what I had at .4 and .8? Some here have said .8 and others have said .0. Maybe both are right and as long as both are the same it doesn't matter but I want to know if I need him to set it to something else....Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:07 PM

o.k. everyone has said something different. SOOOOO, is .5 acceptable and better than what I had at .4 and .8? Some here have said .8 and others have said .0. Maybe both are right and as long as both are the same it doesn't matter but I want to know if I need him to set it to something else....Thanks!!!

No shop you take your car to will adjust your camber, as there are no factory adjustments for it. What you have there are front toe readings, and yes 0.5 is correct.

As for the camber adjustment discussion here, yes, you can adjust the camber a little with the "freeplay" (if you can call it that) on the two large suspension mounting bolts. It is true that a bit of negative camber stabilizes the car a little, but too much is bad too. I have the camber adjustment bolts from Ingalls, and I've tried all the settings, from maximum negative camber to what I have now, which is maximum positive camber (which still ends up giving me around -0.5 degree negative camber overall). I found that at -2.0 or greater negative camber (greater meaning more negative), the car is all over the road and I lost all steering feel. So more negative camber isn't always better. I have found that keeping it within spec (0 to -1.0 degree) keeps the steering nice and tight, and helps handling too. But I am sure the experience will be different for everyone.

Just keep in mind that none of the national chain car shops will adjust anything other than front toe on your 4th or 5th gen, as even the Nissan FSM specifies that only front toe is adjustable.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:13 PM

I'm not gonna sit here and argue. What I said is correct. It can be adjusted just not a great deal. Ideal settings to me would be neg.5 camber on both, toe .05 on both, total steer ahead whichis what really matters 0.00 the rear has zero adjustments so these only go to the front.