General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got Pulled Over Saturday Morning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 08:58 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Got Pulled Over Saturday Morning...

4am Saturday morning...
After few hundred feet past the traffic light, I see sirens on my side view mirror... a police car crossing the median and I knew he wanted me to pull over. I signaled and pulled to the shoulder, turned the radio off and rolled down the driver's side window.

I didn't think he was pulling me over for speeding although I was going 40 on a 35 along a local road (Edison, NJ). I would of done 35 right on the needle is there weren't two cars following close behind me.

Anyway, here's the convo:
Cop: Your licence, registration and insurance paper please.
Me: Handed over to him.
Cop: (looks at my registration card) Where do you live?
Me: Tells him my address, mentioned that my registration card has my old address.
Cop: Did you have anything to drink tonite?
Me: No, designated driver
Cop: (looks into the backseat of my car with his flashlight) Where did you come from?
Me: Dropped off my friend and heading home
Cop: Where did you go before?
Me: New York City
Cop: Where are you going now?
Me: Home, Crowells Road.
Cop: Walks over to his car. (I'm guessing at this point he's running a check on my record, which is clean.) Few minutes later he walks back to my car.
Cop: The reason I pulled you over is that you swirved a bit at the intersection. (Looks at my front window- PBA sticker and inspection sticker valid)
Me: I was avoiding the water puddle and potholes back there.
Cop: Also, your registration expired last month.
Me: I assumed that I was getting the renewal in the mail, otherwise I would of renewed it through the Internet.
Cop: You didn't get it probably because DMV send it to your old address on the card. I'm supposed to have the car impounded.
Me: I didn't know that sir.
Cop: I'm letting you go because you're heading straight home. If you get pulled over again for expired registration, I will deny that I ever saw you. Do not go anywhere with this car until you get the registration renewed Monday.
Me: Absolutly. Thanks officer. Good night.

Daymn. I was so lucky.
Gotta go get the registration renewal done today
Old 01-14-2002, 09:01 AM
Administrator

you should have used the flirt move..

then he would have let you go earlier ..

batt them eyes
Old 01-14-2002, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice one. My inspection expired November of 2001...think it's time to go get it inspected? Nah...i'll wait just a bit longer. : )

Erik
Old 01-14-2002, 09:31 AM

Angie, you're a big girl now >>

please remember to renew your registration.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Sounds to me like he was "fishing" for something........Quota, etc......

Sometimes cops have too much time on their hands.......
Old 01-14-2002, 09:35 AM

girls always get off

congrats all the same..lol

jon
Old 01-14-2002, 10:48 AM

that is the only thing I don't miss about NJ.... waiting in the DMV with long A S S line for inspection...
Old 01-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Didnt you forget to mention something about how much cops suck, and how they do nothing but hassle people?

That was a JOKE!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:08 AM

First Time Owning a Car...

Inspection is every 2 years in NJ. Registration renewal is yearly (which I didn't know, until Saturday).
Ironic that my only speeding ticket in the state was courtesy of Edison police (4 pts: 40 on a 25mph, circa 1997) . I think the Edison police department will be issuing many more summons to help increase the town's cash flow now that Ford has announced Edison assembly plant closing (1,500 jobs).
Old 01-14-2002, 12:28 PM

i wish i was that lucky...
Old 01-14-2002, 12:37 PM

did they change the law on expired registration or what? someone i know just got the car towed few days ago for having expired registration, we all thought they could only ticket you for that.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Lightly modded

Its all because you're a girl. They always get off...I know way too many stories about this. But uh...good job anyways.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It always pays to be respectful to the PO-lease when you get pulled over.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:11 PM
i SeE what you did therE

JOo got lucky
Old 01-14-2002, 01:26 PM

NO INSPECTION OWNZ J00
Old 01-14-2002, 01:36 PM

lucky lucky, i bet her REALLY liked your car. Probably thinkin to himself "i'll drive it to the impound myself, hehehe"
Old 01-14-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
did they change the law on expired registration or what? someone i know just got the car towed few days ago for having expired registration, we all thought they could only ticket you for that.
In NJ, JoO get your car towed for expired registration.
7 years ago, I remembered my Mom drove her boyfriend's car into the wrong direction before the tolls at Lincoln Tunnel and was pulled over. She was cited for that, and it turned out the car had an expired registration. Port Authority police immediately told my mom that the car must be taken away only by a tow truck (of her choice) and cannot be driven until the registration is renewed.

Got me new registration stickies for the plates this afternoon. One less worry.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Banned

My MaximaownsjOO AnGe.

you got lucky
Old 01-14-2002, 02:06 PM

For everyone who thinks girls get away with traffic laws...

Last June, 7:30am in my hometown, cop followed me for ~.25 miles and finally pulled me 3 blocks from my house for no appearent reason. I always driving slightly below speed limits because I know how **** local cops get.

Anyway, here's the convo:
Cop: License, Registration and insurance.
Me: Hands it over. Is there something wrong officer?
Cop: (Ignores my question) Looking at my cards. Where are you going?
Me: Home
Cop: Where do you live?
Me: (Thinking that he should know where I live because it says so on my cards) Recites my address.
Cop: Why do you have different address on your driver's license/registration card than your insurance?
Me: I just moved here few months ago in Dec.
Cop: Walks to his car (probably running a check on my license, clean record) and came back few minutes later.
Cop: When you moved, you're supposed to change the address on your driver's license within a week. I'm going to write you a warning. Also, you don't have a front plate.
Me: I bought it like that. I went back to the dealership to have the front plate installed but they never fixed the broken bracket properly. (which was true)
Cop: (Surprised) Which dealership was this?
Me: Route 1 Automall, by Avenel
Cop: Get it fixed right away. I'm going to write you a warning for not changing your address (on the license).
Me: Is there a fine associated?
Cop: (Writing the ticket) No. It's just a warning. Get it changed immediately.
Me: Thanks officer.

After studying the ticket later that morning, it turned out that the 'written warning' was an actual summons. I still don't understand why he needed to lie, that wasn't right. Anyway, the ticket was $22 plus $18 for getting new license.

I don't get away with everything
Old 01-14-2002, 02:17 PM

I'll bet he was just checking out your car.

Anyways, from what I've heard, Edison cops can be very though. So congrats on getting away with the over-due inspection.

And to go along with what njmaxseltd said, good job on being respectful to the police. Some other people here should take note of this. If you respect them, they'll respect you.

Later,
-Nick
Old 01-14-2002, 04:44 PM

Edison, huh? I've got some friends that way, I can't stand how congested Rt. 1 is on weekends.

I hope you do realize that you were lucky. Too many people seem to get let off the hook and then they boast on this board how they shirked the law. In your case it sounds like the cop could tell you were being forthright so he cut you one.

I learned a lesson too. I didn't realize how serious it is to keep your DMV info up-to-date. Yes, it's considered FRAUD when you don't. I had a situation where my NYS license did not match my reggie or my insurance. I was told that I could be handcuffed but instead I was given the chance to get it all taken care of.

Now I live in PA. On the back it states PA law requires a person to notify DMV within 15 days if the address changes.

NJ needs to take more measures against fraud when it comes to their 20-day temporary out-of-state permits. So many of them end up in Philly with the dates altered. The funniest one I've seen is one that expires 8-2002. That's some 20-days--guess crooks can't count or add. A little holographic security strip would end that BS.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Got Pulled Over Saturday Morning...

Glad that worked out for you. Some people have all of the luck...

I'd make an ugly girl... so, a sex change operation to get out of tickets isn't the answer for me...
Old 01-15-2002, 08:41 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
NJ State Troopers and their Court System Suck Big Phloppy Donkeh Diq~!

boy.. sounds like your upset
Old 01-15-2002, 09:08 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Pulled over 72 in 65 @ 3:23am on NJ Tpk., not signalling before lane change, best one wreckless driving.

Total of tickets was like 250-300, ready to pay, then I said screw them. Call to change date of trial, ok, done. 4 weeks later, warrant for my arrest. WTF ? Contempt of Court ?
Call again and ask. Wreckless Driving Ticket was MUST Appear, but guess what Officer Bumble-F*ck didn't mark it. Went to court, straightened out w/ judge, paid fine later that day. Driving in NJ, pulled over again, arrested ? I paid that sh*t. Asked Officer to check again. Check never recieved. I have the check at home, and its been stamped. Arrested til parents bring the check. Parents get to station, present check, take a ride to woodbridge court, and speak to clerk, and make sure its clear.
I was arrested again for 5 hours in Fort Lee, when it still showed my fines weren't paid for. Again, pay bail. Same process, and now its done.

-It'd pis* you off too

ok.. you win.....
for the court system...

and for you...

have fun with it!!
Old 01-15-2002, 09:18 AM

Ange you were so lucky that the cop gave you a break. Can't say that for Hogan sorry man! Guys don't get a break majority of the time. Damn Fort Lee was just a skip hop away from NY if you speed up to George Washington bridge.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:37 AM

NJ traffic Laws...

...suck! Insurance companys are leaving NJ too much BS for them to deal with. Can U belive that?
NJ drivers choices for Insurance are few and rates increases are coming for all of NJ drivers. Get ready!