General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Roadtrip: Detroit Auto Show, 130MPH etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Roadtrip: Detroit Auto Show, 130MPH etc...

I spent the weekend in Detroit at the autoshow and had a lot of fun. There were 7 of us, 4 in my maxima, and 3 in my friend's RSX-S. He had his insane snow tires on and said he would not go over 80MPH but he did go up to 90MPH more than a few times. The directions we took started in buffalo and proceeded into canada then back into the united states close to detroit, a total distance of about 330 miles each way. We had two way radios so and 2 each had a radar detector. The highlight of the trip there was on a highway to detroit when we sent the RSX-S about half a miles ahead to scout for cops then proceed to do at 130MPH fly-by with 4 people in my car. The new suspension made the car feel very stable at high speeds and the only reason we didn't go any faster was because we had already passed the RSX and needed to slow down because we did not know what was ahead. The people in the RSX told me it sounded amazing when I passed by (I was shifting out of 4th at around 120MPH and the car was loud!!! Next time I go that fast again I will want better brakes because they made a lot of sound when slowing back to 80.

The autoshow was great, I loved the new skyline and the 350Z was very cool. other highlights for me were the lancer evo, and W8 volkswagen engine.

Here are over 100 pics:

http://csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/vertigo/autoshow/

the trip back was just as fun and we had a little photoshoot at 60MPH from the sunroof of the RSX to get pictures of my car in motion. These were taken by a photo student with a camera that cost more than my first car, so I'm waiting to see what they look like, I may get them blown up if they are nice, they background was a sunset with a cool sky.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Roadtrip: Detroit Auto Show, 130MPH etc...

what time did you end up getting back aaron? we left Detroit at around 5:30pm and we were at Montana's in Buffalo for dinner at around 10! that was one great car show. IMO pictures dont do the GT-R justice... that car looks awesome up close. I'll put up my pics once they are uploaded.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Roadtrip: Detroit Auto Show, 130MPH etc...

Originally posted by mechanic
what time did you end up getting back aaron? we left Detroit at around 5:30pm and we were at Montana's in Buffalo for dinner at around 10! that was one great car show. IMO pictures dont do the GT-R justice... that car looks awesome up close. I'll put up my pics once they are uploaded.
we got back in rochester about the time you got back to buffalo. timing was just bad for meeting up, we'll have to plan better for next year.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:10 PM
SLOW

So you hit 130 on the way to the Detroit Auto Show too huh? BriGuyMax and I did too, in his car. We had some nice races to and from the show, I'll let him tell you about them because it was his car heh.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:17 PM

awesome pics
i like this one:
http://csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/vertigo...w/DSCN0231.jpg
too big to put here
Old 01-14-2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
So you hit 130 on the way to the Detroit Auto Show too huh? BriGuyMax and I did too, in his car. We had some nice races to and from the show, I'll let him tell you about them because it was his car heh.
we probably walked by you guys at the show!
Neal and I raced and beat an LT1 Z28 on the way to the show...and a NOS new civic and Camaro RS on the way back...the only one we got on video is the RS becuase we were dumb and forgot that the video camera was in the back.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: Roadtrip: Detroit Auto Show, 130MPH etc...

Yea, I was thinkin' of ridin' up for the weekend to see a real auto show.. I'm definately goin' next year..

Originally posted by theblue
I spent the weekend in Detroit at the autoshow and had a lot of fun. There were 7 of us, 4 in my maxima, and 3 in my friend's RSX-S. He had his insane snow tires on and said he would not go over 80MPH but he did go up to 90MPH more than a few times. The directions we took started in buffalo and proceeded into canada then back into the united states close to detroit, a total distance of about 330 miles each way. We had two way radios so and 2 each had a radar detector. The highlight of the trip there was on a highway to detroit when we sent the RSX-S about half a miles ahead to scout for cops then proceed to do at 130MPH fly-by with 4 people in my car. The new suspension made the car feel very stable at high speeds and the only reason we didn't go any faster was because we had already passed the RSX and needed to slow down because we did not know what was ahead. The people in the RSX told me it sounded amazing when I passed by (I was shifting out of 4th at around 120MPH and the car was loud!!! Next time I go that fast again I will want better brakes because they made a lot of sound when slowing back to 80.

The autoshow was great, I loved the new skyline and the 350Z was very cool. other highlights for me were the lancer evo, and W8 volkswagen engine.

Here are over 100 pics:

http://csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/vertigo/autoshow/

the trip back was just as fun and we had a little photoshoot at 60MPH from the sunroof of the RSX to get pictures of my car in motion. These were taken by a photo student with a camera that cost more than my first car, so I'm waiting to see what they look like, I may get them blown up if they are nice, they background was a sunset with a cool sky.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:53 PM

nice pics, i really like the NSX and the skyline loox gorgeous.