General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nitrous...Yup more questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Nitrous...Yup more questions

To all those that use Nitrous, I am looking for websites, reading material, to further understand the pros/cons of using Nitrous in your car and where it is suitable (RPM/speed range) to use. More of a technically based read....

I read the many, MANY posts on the subject here, but it seems to be if you got it you love it and recommend it, if you dont you hate it and say you would rather boost.

The unfortunate thing is that I would like to turbo, but an already high compression motor makes that seem like a pipe dream (I am monitoring several threads just in case though). S/C seems like a nice option too, but I don't think that it would help in 0-60 times all that much. Of course that is based on Kevs numbers.

I live in Cincy Ohio, do light to light "contests" and am interested in having a "slight" advantage (mostly 0-60) without the constant tinkering (although I know some will be necessary). Those that have it where does it seem to benefit you most? I also sometimes need a tad bit of boost on the highway at times to make sure that "passing" by ricers does not happen, is Nitrous the wrong direction?

Please any info that you could provide would be great. PM if you would rather not get into a boost/Nitrous war....

Thanks!
Jon
Old 01-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I got Nitrous and i am looking to go boost and Nitrous..

Nitrous runs out.. boost is always there..

refilling bottles is a motha
Old 01-14-2002, 06:40 PM

All your answers are at this thread: http://www.turbomagazine.com/archive...901_tech01.jsp
Old 01-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by SprintMax
I got Nitrous and i am looking to go boost and Nitrous..

Nitrous runs out.. boost is always there..

refilling bottles is a motha
I understand the constant bling-bling for bottle refilling, and knowing my stupid-never-back-down-even-for-my-own-good-driving-style I would be refilling often. But is it realistic to see the motor turbo'd?

Nitrous off the line and boost up high to get the full package?
Old 01-14-2002, 06:47 PM

NOS is like a turbo. NOS cannot be used till you are @ WOT (above 3k rpms).
Old 01-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Synki
All your answers are at this thread: http://www.turbomagazine.com/archive...901_tech01.jsp
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2002, 08:24 PM
Telus.net

Re: Nitrous...Yup more questions

Originally posted by Colonel
To all those that use Nitrous, I am looking for websites, reading material, to further understand the pros/cons of using Nitrous in your car and where it is suitable (RPM/speed range) to use. More of a technically based read....

I read the many, MANY posts on the subject here, but it seems to be if you got it you love it and recommend it, if you dont you hate it and say you would rather boost.

The unfortunate thing is that I would like to turbo, but an already high compression motor makes that seem like a pipe dream (I am monitoring several threads just in case though). S/C seems like a nice option too, but I don't think that it would help in 0-60 times all that much. Of course that is based on Kevs numbers.

I live in Cincy Ohio, do light to light "contests" and am interested in having a "slight" advantage (mostly 0-60) without the constant tinkering (although I know some will be necessary). Those that have it where does it seem to benefit you most? I also sometimes need a tad bit of boost on the highway at times to make sure that "passing" by ricers does not happen, is Nitrous the wrong direction?

Please any info that you could provide would be great. PM if you would rather not get into a boost/Nitrous war....

Thanks!
Jon
Dude, you should watch the fast and the furious!

Or simply, Nos advertisments......

Old 01-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki
NOS is like a turbo. NOS cannot be used till you are @ WOT (above 3k rpms).
Nitrous can be used at any RPM at WOT...not suggested below 3k, but possible.

Erik
Old 01-15-2002, 05:54 AM

I dont know anyone who sprays under 3k. Even @ WOT below 3k, watch your piston rings burn up. You will sit there spinning. There is too much of a load on the engine/transmission at low of an rpm. Sur eyou can, but who does and why would you.
Old 01-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Nitrous...Yup more questions

Originally posted by Telus.net

Dude, you should watch the fast and the furious!

Or simply, Nos advertisments......
In a word, no. I am trying to be intelligent about this. I want something "extra" and have been watching S/C and Turbo threads and it seems really expensive (not really a huge issue) but reliability seems lower than I want to deal with at this time. Nitrous seems to be a possible idea, but I want to know as much as possible about it before I invest dime one.