General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

"Ghetto Drop" Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 05:35 PM

Im thinking about lowering the car by cutting a coil off the stock springs. I know, I know...this is considered cheap and ghetto, but the fact of the matter is that I want the Max lowered and Im not worried bout increasing handling. Is this safe for the car? Does it reduce handling or comfort alot? If I do this, can I keep the stock struts? How much will it cost? PLEASE HELP GUYS!! This is important to me. Thanks
Old 11-11-2000, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PLEASE don't, that is one of the worst things you can do to a car... you will definitely regret that. You will get so much bounce your teeth will rattle out of your skull.
Old 11-11-2000, 06:17 PM

Ouch!! I knew it was probably a bad idea! Thanks for the response. Damn thing is I HATE the 4x4 look I have specially with 17 inch rims. I want to lower the cars, and I'm willing to pay $200 for springs, but everyone is saying that I have to change the struts too if I change the springs, and that's an extra $200. I just want the car lowered, I can't afford to do BOTH springs and struts right now.Maybe I can do springs now and struts this summer, or will this mess up the car?
Old 11-11-2000, 06:24 PM
Jesse

You spend 20-ishK for a car, then however much for pretty wheels....

Do it right the first time and get springs and shocks. Save money and learn a little about the car and do the work yourself.

Old 11-11-2000, 06:25 PM

Why do you want springs now shocks later? I know, I know but be patient man, think about it taking apart the strut assembly involves taking all that out to replace srings.Might as well do both at the same time, save time, labor and money. Remeber, Patience is virtue.
Old 11-11-2000, 06:28 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

save and do both at the same time...A. it's easier B. if you're not a DIY'er then you will pay to have the springs installed...and then have to pay the same amount again to get the struts installed...
Old 11-11-2000, 06:34 PM

I read the subject line and thought there was a member here named 'ghetto drop' and that he was asking a question for 'ghetto drop' LOL

Hey ghetto drop, where'd you pick up your wheels from?! ROFL
Old 11-11-2000, 06:50 PM

Did u really want to know where I got my wheels? Sorry, hehe, I dont know what ROLF means...
Old 11-11-2000, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by got rice?
I read the subject line and thought there was a member here named 'ghetto drop' and that he was asking a question for 'ghetto drop' LOL

Ha ha ha! Where's that thread on how to change your name again...

Oh, and as for ROLF, he's that muppet that plays the piano...

Old 11-12-2000, 12:06 AM

Getting springs w/o struts is a lot better than cutting a coil. It won't screw up your car, the ride will just suck for awhile. If you are going to do it yourself, it won't cost any extra money, just time. With the shorter springs, you won't even have to use a spring compressor when you do the struts later. I think I could do the job in around 2 hours now that I've done it before. I would wait, but if you must lower now, buy springs.
Old 11-12-2000, 01:04 AM

haha...very funny, I meant rofl.

Originally posted by Botos
Originally posted by got rice?

Ha ha ha! Where's that thread on how to change your name again...

Oh, and as for ROLF, he's that muppet that plays the piano...

Old 11-12-2000, 08:19 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

not to sound like a jerk but if you can't afford to mod your car correctly then don't mod it at all. people looking to pay next to nothing to mod their car and then complain that it sucks. this is a expensive hobby...do it once and do it right.
if you can stand very bumpy ride then just get the springs...but then later on you'll compain that the ride is too bumpy and that the springs sucks. also like everyone said you'll have to pay it twice to take the springs out again to put in struts later. so i recommend you get the struts and springs at the same time..it might cost a little more now but when it's done you'll be happy. if the bigger rims are killing you then why not go back to stock for now??
oh and don't even think about cutting the springs unless you don't mind scraping your frame a lot and generally having a crappy ride and extra wear and tear on the suspension.
Dan

Originally posted by MaxRod33
Im thinking about lowering the car by cutting a coil off the stock springs. I know, I know...this is considered cheap and ghetto, but the fact of the matter is that I want the Max lowered and Im not worried bout increasing handling. Is this safe for the car? Does it reduce handling or comfort alot? If I do this, can I keep the stock struts? How much will it cost? PLEASE HELP GUYS!! This is important to me. Thanks
Old 11-12-2000, 08:59 AM

ROFL - rolling on floor laughing
Old 11-12-2000, 01:55 PM

Take off my rims and go stock....hahahahaha....ROFL...n/m

Originally posted by DanNY
not to sound like a jerk but if you can't afford to mod your car correctly then don't mod it at all. people looking to pay next to nothing to mod their car and then complain that it sucks. this is a expensive hobby...do it once and do it right.
if you can stand very bumpy ride then just get the springs...but then later on you'll compain that the ride is too bumpy and that the springs sucks. also like everyone said you'll have to pay it twice to take the springs out again to put in struts later. so i recommend you get the struts and springs at the same time..it might cost a little more now but when it's done you'll be happy. if the bigger rims are killing you then why not go back to stock for now??
oh and don't even think about cutting the springs unless you don't mind scraping your frame a lot and generally having a crappy ride and extra wear and tear on the suspension.
Dan

Originally posted by MaxRod33
Old 11-12-2000, 02:21 PM

muahahaha...think you should....cut the springs, and heat them up...for the ghetto drop...! j/k

seriously...like how everyone has said...go get a set of shocks and springs...and put them on yourself...! if you were in Indiana, or IL area...I'd ask you to come find me and I'd help you with installs...oh well...if you are...drop me a mail...ok?

rgds
Old 11-12-2000, 08:37 PM

anyone in the dc area who can help me? with either springs or paint jobs? Thanks.