General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Class Action Lawsuit? 5-Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 06:02 AM

Class Action Lawsuit? 5-Speeds

I've read many threads about transmission failures of 5-speeds here and was thinking of the culpability of negligence by Nissan. If Nissan indeed put together the transmissions with no regard to the tolerances stated in the FSM, and just played the law of averages for expected failure, there is a possibilty for a lawsuit.

Am not a big fan of lawsuits, because many of them are frivilous, but if indeed Nissan is wrong, they should offer some sort of compensation to the affected transmissions.

I also don't wish to slam the mothership with a lawsuit but....

Do we have any attorneys out there that would be interested in pursuing this? I'm sure there is enough data available on the Org to substantiate further factfinding.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

let me introduce u to the #1 victim...ericdwong.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not worth the time or effort, find something better to do.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:47 AM

I mean really, are these trannies failing under normal driving conditions? These trannies weren't made for doing burn-outs and racing so you guys better have a good case if you walk into court (if it ever goes that far).
Old 01-18-2002, 06:57 AM
SLOW

My input bearing failed. Bummer. It may be Nissans fault for not having acceptable tolerances when it was built, but hey, that's cars for ya. Should all GM owners go sue GM just because they suck a$$? No. Its not worth it to go after them for a mere $600 that it cost me to replace the bearing.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

These tranny "failures" seem to be very rare. We've had 14 people out of thousands of members report problems. Most of these trannies are teamed with aggressive drivers and modified motors. The recipe for problems is there. I'm not saying these failures are a direct result of abuse, but I'd bet some of them are. For the most part, the Nissan 5 speed can stand up to some decent abuse.

For every current performance car on the road, I bet I can name problems associated with that tranny. Right off the top of my head, the T-5/T-45 in the Mustang is prone to bad syncronizers, the T-56 in the F-Body/Vette/Viper is prone syncro and 2nd gear failures (Viper), the Mazda tranny in the SHO is assumed to break within 50K miles (many guys are on their 3rd and 4th tranny), the Eclipse/Talon AWD tranny is prone to sheared gears and snapped input shafts, and Civic Si/ITR trannies are prone to syncros failures (lots of them).

Dave
Old 01-18-2002, 08:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Dave B
These tranny "failures" seem to be very rare. We've had 14 people out of thousands of members report problems. Most of these trannies are teamed with aggressive drivers and modified motors. The recipe for problems is there. I'm not saying these failures are a direct result of abuse, but I'd bet some of them are. For the most part, the Nissan 5 speed can stand up to some decent abuse.

For every current performance car on the road, I bet I can name problems associated with that tranny. Right off the top of my head, the T-5/T-45 in the Mustang is prone to bad syncronizers, the T-56 in the F-Body/Vette/Viper is prone syncro and 2nd gear failures (Viper), the Mazda tranny in the SHO is assumed to break within 50K miles (many guys are on their 3rd and 4th tranny), the Eclipse/Talon AWD tranny is prone to sheared gears and snapped input shafts, and Civic Si/ITR trannies are prone to syncros failures (lots of them).

Dave
as eric would say..get a toyota they have 100% reliability.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by DanNY

as eric would say..get a toyota they have 100% reliability.
Hehe Even God's Chariot, the Supra TT, is subject to lots of problems with the 6 speed. There's a reason most guys prefer to run automatics behind a modified Supra TT. It's more reliable, you can build boost off the line, and it's easily upgradeable. We have a whole bunch of modded Supra TTs here in KC and nearly all of them run autos. There's a reason for that.

Dave
Old 01-18-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm needing a caw

Good luck. If any gen had a legit claim it was the 3-gen VE engined maximas. VTC assemblies had a terrible oil feed design that resulted in an intial product failure of well over 50%. Did Nissan issue a recall? No. Any class action lawsuit result? No.

But hey if you can get it going, more power to ya.

But IMHO, it would be much easier to take Nissan to small claims court and claim the maximum in small claims. But who do you send the summons to?? hehe
Old 01-18-2002, 11:01 AM

Something tells me if you try to take this one on you better be in for a veeerrrryyyy long ride.

SuDZ
Old 01-18-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
You forgot that ever-so-wonderful Contour SVT tranny.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:30 PM

I knew somebody was gonna bring it up.. but personally I dont think its worth it effort wise to pursue...i already put too much time and $ into this car, and I'd really rather not think about it anymore then I have to. Everytime I think about this car it makes me wanna barf. Instead of focusing on suing nissan, I'd rather spread the bad word, of the lousy engineering, the lousy resale value, and now the lousy quality control with thier law of averages. I do plan on seeing if a technical service bulletin will be issued about it, but at this point its like beating a dead horse. Buying this car has been the worst decision I have ever made in my life and I am on a crusade to prevent others from making the same mistake I did.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:36 PM

Ok, I get the message, just a thought. I don't even have a 5-speed, but I feel kinda bad for all those guys with the problems. Just call me a post *****.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I knew somebody was gonna bring it up.. but personally I dont think its worth it effort wise to pursue...i already put too much time and $ into this car, and I'd really rather not think about it anymore then I have to. Everytime I think about this car it makes me wanna barf. Instead of focusing on suing nissan, I'd rather spread the bad word, of the lousy engineering, the lousy resale value, and now the lousy quality control with thier law of averages. I do plan on seeing if a technical service bulletin will be issued about it, but at this point its like beating a dead horse. Buying this car has been the worst decision I have ever made in my life and I am on a crusade to prevent others from making the same mistake I did.
Eric,
I've read some of your posts and they are very informative. Not to make you go over things again, but is there a thread somewhere that describes your "displeasure" with your car more thoroughly? Most of the stuff I've heard about Nissan and their cars has been good, but I always like seeing the whole picture of things and your comments (and sig) have piqued my interest.

I'm just curious, that's all. Thanks. Sorry to hear about your troubles by the way.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Instead of having me have to read his complaints again, I suggest you click his profile and click "view all posts by"...option.

His posts are one of two. Describing his manual rebuilt or complaining about his car. So you should be able to see what's up.

Originally posted by ljl10

Eric,
I've read some of your posts and they are very informative. Not to make you go over things again, but is there a thread somewhere that describes your "displeasure" with your car more thoroughly? Most of the stuff I've heard about Nissan and their cars has been good, but I always like seeing the whole picture of things and your comments (and sig) have piqued my interest.

I'm just curious, that's all. Thanks. Sorry to hear about your troubles by the way.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Instead of having me have to read his complaints again, I suggest you click his profile and click "view all posts by"...option.

His posts are one of two. Describing his manual rebuilt or complaining about his car. So you should be able to see what's up.

Sorry.....when he said "crusade" I just figured there was a thread where I could read what he had to say about his experiences with his car.

Thanks for your help, Jeff.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by deezo
I mean really, are these trannies failing under normal driving conditions? These trannies weren't made for doing burn-outs and racing so you guys better have a good case if you walk into court (if it ever goes that far).

<--- nods in agreement, points at Deezo.