General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

my new V1=slam-dunked by police.Mike Valentine admits weaknesses

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 08:05 PM

my new V1=slam-dunked by police.Mike Valentine admits weaknesses

In October I bought the new V1.It has dynamite detection capabilites, but here in Ontario Canada, where detectors are illegal, the cops are buying new RDD's. So a cop seized my baby the other day,even though he wasnt using his radar on me.
I wrote Mike Valentine and this is what he says:
"Traditional VG2 cannot pick up a V1 from any significant distance. Newer styles may be able to do so."
By newer styles he is refering to Spector and MR5 technology. Mike then referred me to the following article, which among other things clearly states that with the new technology, NO radar detector is undetectable. Time for the detector crews to get back to their drawing boards.

www.speedzones.com/whatsnew.html
Old 01-18-2002, 09:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: my new V1=slam-dunked by police.Mike Valentine admits weaknesses

Ouch! Sorry to here about that man... That is a lot of CAN$ when you do the conversion. Not sure I'd have the ***** to use a detector in a state/province where their use is banned though. Did they just confiscate the V1 or did they issue a ticket as well? In any case, to loose it so quick is just sad...
Old 01-18-2002, 09:07 PM

Dowwww!!! How much was the fine? I heard it's pretty hefty. Sorry to hear your V1 got nailed.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:16 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by LeoB
"Traditional VG2 cannot pick up a V1 from any significant distance. Newer styles may be able to do so."
I can vouch for Mike Valentine on his statement since I'm an RF Designer - it's true. I think RDD's work by sniffing out and detecting the Local Oscillator (LO) frequencies of radar detectors. LO amplifiers have to run at fairly high power, so that makes them easy to detect by RDD's.

The only way to get around this is with better and more carefully designed shielding and higher grade (cough*military-grade*cough) RF components, all of which costs a shiaload of money. I don't think anyone would want to lay down a couple grand for a high grade radar detector like that

Sorry bout your V1, though. That sucks!!
Old 01-18-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by LEADFOOT
Dowwww!!! How much was the fine? I heard it's pretty hefty. Sorry to hear your V1 got nailed.
is your sig a mazda promotion?
Old 01-19-2002, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Nine7Max
is your sig a mazda promotion?
It is a Gerber, Michelin, Mazda, Nissan conglomeration.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:27 AM

ohh man - how much did u pay for that sucker??? -- if they werent using a detector on you......how they find out......you got it mounted on da windsheild or sumthing?
Old 01-19-2002, 08:32 AM

In October I bought the new V1.It has dynamite detection capabilites, but here in Ontario Canada, where detectors are illegal, the cops are buying new RDD's. So a cop seized my baby the other day,even though he wasnt using his radar on me.
By newer styles he is refering to Spector and MR5 technology. Mike then referred me to the following article, which among other things clearly states that with the new technology, NO radar detector is undetectable. Time for the detector crews to get back to their drawing boards.

Time for the detector crews to find other applications for their work if you ask me. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George double-dipped. Those detector crews might as well put their whole mouths on Mikey's whoosie because they make out $$ either way.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:44 AM

v1

so all the money for the v1, and look what happen sorry to hear that. i guess its only good for states that allow the use of a detector.is any detector save these days?
Old 01-19-2002, 11:57 AM

ouch is right....

..and thanks everyone for the condolences. the dollar conversion put the detector in Canadian dollars at over $700.00 shoulda bought some new tires instead!!
The fine was only $150.00
I think they probably bump that up if they catch you a second and a third time, like up to $1000.00

I think these new detector detectors work independant of a radar gun's operation. A cop can sit at roadside in an unmarked car,without doing radar, and just wait for detectors to drive on by. He will be able to pick them up no problem. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!
Old 01-19-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: ouch is right....

..and thanks everyone for the condolences. the dollar conversion put the detector in Canadian dollars at over $700.00 shoulda bought some new tires instead!!
The fine was only $150.00
I think they probably bump that up if they catch you a second and a third time, like up to $1000.00

I think these new detector detectors work independant of a radar gun's operation. A cop can sit at roadside in an unmarked car,without doing radar, and just wait for detectors to drive on by. He will be able to pick them up no problem. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!
Sorry to hear about that LeoB. I'm very glad that you posted the info re: new tools the cops are using.

Time for the magazines to publicize the new units and get manufacturers to try to develop something.

A friend of mine used to always keep an old POS detector in the car just in case of this sort of thing. I think the cop would probably check the temp of the unit to verify that it was actually on. Worth a try?

Albert
Old 01-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Autobahn Max

Here's a thought for you...carry a POS detector to give to the cop, and keep your next V1 out of view.

Old 01-20-2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Autobahn Max
Here's a thought for you...carry a POS detector to give to the cop, and keep your next V1 out of view.
Yeah, but he still has to pay the hopped up fine.

Old 01-20-2002, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by Autobahn Max
i like that kinda thinking
Old 01-20-2002, 02:06 AM

What is a V1 and wha exactly is so special about it comapared to other radar detectors?
Old 01-20-2002, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by MrBlank
What is a V1 and wha exactly is so special about it comapared to other radar detectors?
V1=Valentine One radar detector. Read the Feb '02 Car and Driver radar detector test to discover why it's loved by many.

Goto http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran..._detectors.xml for the article.

Albert
Old 01-20-2002, 09:19 AM

That's why I'm proud to be in the good ol' USA