General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Brown is good right? (plugs)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 12:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Was flushing my coolant today and I decided to check out my plugs. Checked out two plugs from the front bank. And they were both an even brown. No white or blue. Though the tip is no longer silver. Its brown also. But this is fine right?

ZuM
Old 11-12-2000, 11:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm a legit question and it gets buried under a sea of BS. Yes, a light brown color is normal. 4-gen platiums are every 60k I believe.

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Was flushing my coolant today and I decided to check out my plugs. Checked out two plugs from the front bank. And they were both an even brown. No white or blue. Though the tip is no longer silver. Its brown also. But this is fine right?

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 09:22 AM

Well, thats the way the BBS is.. =) Well, you answered. Thats all that matters.. So next time someone asks, I'll know brown is good.. Thanks Jeff.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 09:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

LIGHT brown is good. a lot of brown is bad. also very light white is ok for the VQ too. white is lean. dry black coating i think is rich. wet black coating is leaking oil.
pick up a hayes shop manual..for any car they have the pics in it i think.
Dan

Well, thats the way the BBS is.. =) Well, you answered. Thats all that matters.. So next time someone asks, I'll know brown is good.. Thanks Jeff.

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 09:49 AM

Yeah, they were light brown. Nice and even. Like a done marshmellow.. =) How much is the Hayes manual anyways?

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 11:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

don't have to buy one. i think they print out a color picture deal of spark plugs in all their books. just flip one open and look for a color page. read it to get some info and put it back on the shelf.
hey i'm on a budget too..
Dan

Yeah, they were light brown. Nice and even. Like a done marshmellow.. =) How much is the Hayes manual anyways?

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 11:13 AM

I have the haynes manual. Sorry, the spark plug pictures are in black and white, not color!

I'm having my plugs changed at my upcoming 45k service. Just couldn't bring myself to wait until 60k for fear of the plugs "becoming one with the cylinder head." I'll check the color of my plugs when I swap them out.

Originally posted by DanNY
don't have to buy one. i think they print out a color picture deal of spark plugs in all their books. just flip one open and look for a color page. read it to get some info and put it back on the shelf.
Dan

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 11:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

really?? woah they cheaped it out. i had a old manual for a VW and the spark plug pics were in color..that was the only page that was in color.
Dan

Originally posted by Eric L.
I have the haynes manual. Sorry, the spark plug pictures are in black and white, not color!

I'm having my plugs changed at my upcoming 45k service. Just couldn't bring myself to wait until 60k for fear of the plugs "becoming one with the cylinder head." I'll check the color of my plugs when I swap them out.

Originally posted by DanNY
Dan

ZuM
Old 11-13-2000, 11:47 AM

Hey, DanNY or ZuMBLe...

What is the expected life of a spark plug? Like how many miles would they usually last ?

I had the same question as ZuMBLe cuz I just installed the Denso Iridium plug this weeken, saw that my stock plugs are brown and was wondering if this is normal. Any idea how long the after market plugs will last me?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2000, 12:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Hey, DanNY or ZuMBLe...

depends...
how **** are u when it comes to the car's performance?

if your driving the car mostly on hwys and etc and very little bumper to bumper then i'd say the denso can easilly run 50-60K...if not more.

a light coating of brown is normal. it's actually the slight moisture that is in the combustion chamber when it's cold and you fire it up. you can get a small wire brush and brush it up a little and set the gap correctly.

the NGK plats are good for 50K or so. if your **** and wants the car to run perfect then i'd say 30-40K that's during heavy use.

the denso irid can go for about the same...30-40K..prob more on the 40K mark....also w/ heavy use..(drag racing, road racing, street racing).

my car uses the regular NGKs. they go out of my car about every 10K..but i'm very picky about the performance and the idle must be very smooth. also i go through heavy traffic constantly...a lot of city driving.

keep in mind that those # are very conservative..denso irid can prob* go for 60K if not more. just keep them clean.
Dan

Originally posted by GT_icecream
What is the expected life of a spark plug? Like how many miles would they usually last ?

I had the same question as ZuMBLe cuz I just installed the Denso Iridium plug this weeken, saw that my stock plugs are brown and was wondering if this is normal. Any idea how long the after market plugs will last me?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2000, 12:29 PM

Re: Re: Hey, DanNY or ZuMBLe...

Thanks for the info. I go thru stop-and-go traffic daily too, so it's helpful to have an estimate on the life of the plugs.... Those denso plugs run great, car revs slightly faster now Hope they'll last for a long while.

Again, thanks for your advise, DanNY