General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Best wiper blades I ever seen...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best wiper blades I ever seen...

Bosch Micro Edge Excels. I have seen and used many different wiper blades (including the PIAA silicone ones) and all of them either squeal or leave water/rubber marks. Finally I went to my local Advanced Auto Parts and bought these for $25.98 (for both). What can I say? Cheap (well...compared to the PIAAs ), leave NO water or rubber streaks, extremely quiet and efficient. Here's a pic of the box:

I got them a week ago, and I've already conviced 3 people to buy them via demonstration. They're REALLY streak free, and they stay that way. Not like other that are only clear for the first few days. If you need replacements, I highly reccomend these. I'll keep it short and end here.
-Cyrus
Old 01-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

tell he how they are in 4-5 months.

bosch are great when new...but for some reason they don't last long. hopefully these are better. IMO Anco worked better...lasted longer.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
tell he how they are in 4-5 months.

bosch are great when new...but for some reason they don't last long. hopefully these are better. IMO Anco worked better...lasted longer.
My Ancos sucked. Yes, they lasted a long time, but they would leave huge rubber marks across the windshield when I used them. Made me want to leave them off thinking it would stay cleaner without them.
-Cyrus
Old 01-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Very sound, Mike

I don't know with you but i gained better performance using the OEM blades and RainX.

Fact is, with RainX i hardly have to use the wiper even when it's raining cats and dogs outside.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
I don't know with you but i gained better performance using the OEM blades and RainX.

Fact is, with RainX i hardly have to use the wiper even when it's raining cats and dogs outside.
I use RainX too. It does work well, but I still need my wipers. When I turned the OEM Ancos on, it would still leave rubber marks. The Boschs don't do that.
-Cyrus
Old 01-18-2002, 07:57 PM

if u dont have a uni-blade, who cares?
Old 01-18-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by FahCue
if u dont have a uni-blade, who cares?
Old 01-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Vyrus

i gave up on wiper blades awhile ago.. get 3M glass cleaner, rain x window cleaner, and put about 4 coats of rain x on.. lots of rubbing and elbow grease.. works wonders.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Best wiper blades I ever seen...

Bosch Micro Edge Excels. I have seen and used many different wiper blades (including the PIAA silicone ones) and all of them either squeal or leave water/rubber marks. Finally I went to my local Advanced Auto Parts and bought these for $25.98 (for both). What can I say? Cheap (well...compared to the PIAAs ), leave NO water or rubber streaks, extremely quiet and efficient. Here's a pic of the box:

I got them a week ago, and I've already conviced 3 people to buy them via demonstration. They're REALLY streak free, and they stay that way. Not like other that are only clear for the first few days. If you need replacements, I highly reccomend these. I'll keep it short and end here.
-Cyrus
I just bought wiper blades, and I'm happy to they're the same ones you like.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:48 PM

Re: Re: Best wiper blades I ever seen...

Those are what I use. Nice and cheap. Replace every year. Use with Rain X and you can stretch almost a lifetime out of them.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:30 PM

-Cyrus
Bosch are alright, another good wiper blade that is in that price range but higher by a couple dollars is the Carquest Teflon blades.
The teflon added to the blades increases the life of wiper blades by 100%, through heat resistance and teflon being one of the most slipperiest substances known to man. Wiper life depends on your climate. Seattle is the most friendly to wiper blades and this is where they last the longest.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:56 PM

Ive used anco and they have been fine for me. Now i am using Pylon. Some cheap stuff but they seem to work just fine.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:47 PM

Bosch is alrite I think.. they don't last every long.. especially in the cold azz weather here.... I stick with OEM one.. cheap to replace..
Old 01-18-2002, 10:47 PM

I just bought the PIAA one's. Will find out tomorrow how they handle in the snow, since it's suppose to snow like 8" here.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:00 AM

I had the Bosch and wasn't impressed. I forgot what kind of blades I got now, but so far, so good. I never used any wiper blades that impressed me much. I might just use Rain-X, haven't try that yet.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:14 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

what is Rain-X?
Old 01-19-2002, 05:28 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I use the bosch and rain-x. They seem to last fine.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Supa Lao
I just bought the PIAA one's. Will find out tomorrow how they handle in the snow, since it's suppose to snow like 8" here.
Good luck, I hated those. They wipe a lot of crud off your windsheild, but still leave water streaks and marks at the edge of your windsheild. They cost way too much as well.

Glad to hear everyone is happy with with their Boschs ( except for Cumalot ). RainX works for me, but in heavy rain I still need wipers. But whatever floats your boat.
-Cyrus
Old 01-19-2002, 06:50 AM

same

I just put the Bosch on last month, so far so good. The OEM blades use to leave rubber marks on the glass especially when used on long trips. I also use Rain-X and was wondering if it in any way hurts the rubber on the blades and causes the rubber marks to form on the glass? What do you think?
Old 01-19-2002, 06:53 AM

My vote --- Nissan OEM and Rain-X

1 year and 33k miles later, still on original blades with no streaks.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:42 AM

how do you put rain X on? mine doesn't work except for going 100km/h+, I think it had 2 do with the way I applied them to the windshield
Old 01-19-2002, 09:50 AM

i like OEM
Old 01-19-2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
how do you put rain X on? mine doesn't work except for going 100km/h+, I think it had 2 do with the way I applied them to the windshield
If you've ever waxed a car, it's almost the same thing. Apply a coat, then buff it. When that dries, I apply another coat and buff that but it's not required. Rain X works like magic at any speed for me, just doesn't seem to last long. I think that's the Florida sun baking it off though.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
If you've ever waxed a car, it's almost the same thing. Apply a coat, then buff it. When that dries, I apply another coat and buff that but it's not required. Rain X works like magic at any speed for me, just doesn't seem to last long. I think that's the Florida sun baking it off though.
what should I use to "buff"?
Old 01-19-2002, 10:14 AM

what should I use to "buff"?
I just use a cloth rag, same thing I use to take wax off. Not the same one though...
Old 01-19-2002, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Weasel
I just use a cloth rag, same thing I use to take wax off. Not the same one though...
do u spray the rainx stuff on the rag then buff it onto the windshield or do u spray it on the windshield hten buff it?
Old 01-19-2002, 10:31 AM

do u spray the rainx stuff on the rag then buff it onto the windshield or do u spray it on the windshield hten buff it?
I have no idea... it says on the package. The directions are really easy to follow. You first use a rag to put on a coat of Rain-X, let it sit until it gets dry and a little blurry, then buff it clear. Just like wax.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:37 AM

The directions off RainX say...

"Apply RainX to a small folded cloth..."
-Cyrus
Old 01-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Lightly modded

All this info about blades is really confusing....but Rain X is a sure bet....I love that stuff. Is there some sort of blade that everybody agrees is good?
Old 01-19-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by 95maxrider
Is there some sort of blade that everybody agrees is good?
So far people really like either the Boschs or OEM. I figure if you're going to replace it go with Bosch (which is what I did and I think they're better than OEM).
-Cyrus
Old 01-19-2002, 11:53 AM

lol...guess what? The wiper blades that I have now are indeed Bosch. I think last time I bought a cheaper model of Bosch blades. I believe there are two kinds.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
lol...guess what? The wiper blades that I have now are indeed Bosch. I think last time I bought a cheaper model of Bosch blades. I believe there are two kinds.
Yeah, there was a cheaper type at the store. It was $4 cheaper so I said what the heck get the expensive ones. Glad I did. And glad to hear they're Boschs and you're happy with them.
-Cyrus
Old 01-19-2002, 10:07 PM

1) Bosch blades (excel or not) are great (quiet and streak-free) when new but don't last long. Maybe 1 month of that lovely new performance then due for replacement after 2 months. Consistent quality.

2) Anco: lasts longer than bosch. inconsistent quality. some noisy. Like these better.

3) OEM blades: probably the best. Honda and Lexus OEMs like Bosch. The Lexus blades were unbelievably quiet (it seemed like blades were sliding on air). Blades on '00 Villager van quiet, wipes well, and lasts long...the best. On our Pontiacs, OEMs are also excellent and long lasting.

Checkout: http://www.smartblade.com/

Looks promising.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I second that! OEM blades and RainX. You don't need to use your wipers as much, actually you don't need them at all @60MPH. And the OEM blades I found last the longest. I change mine every 6 months for good measure. There cheap and always fit perfectly.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I second that! OEM blades and RainX. You don't need to use your wipers as much, actually you don't need them at all @60MPH. And the OEM blades I found last the longest. I change mine every 6 months for good measure. There cheap and always fit perfectly.
how $ do they cost? oem blades
Old 01-20-2002, 10:55 AM

how much are oem nissan ones?
Old 01-20-2002, 11:38 AM

I thought you wern't supposed to use your wipers if you used RainX. I thought it messed up what RainX was supposed to accomplise.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by BlancMax

I thought you wern't supposed to use your wipers if you used RainX. I thought it messed up what RainX was supposed to accomplise.

You arent if you use your wiper blades with rain x it smears and leaves funky looking streak markes all over your window cause i forgot and used it but i just put some more rainX on today and that stuff is so sweet
Old 01-20-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Maximus baby

You arent if you use your wiper blades with rain x it smears and leaves funky looking streak markes all over your window cause i forgot and used it but i just put some more rainX on today and that stuff is so sweet
First of all, where do you pick up OEMs? and second, how could you not use your blades even with Rain-X!?

I love and use Rain-X religiously, but sometimes it's so bad it doesn't completely do the job, especially with snow or in the winter trying to scrape the ice off...

Speaking of which, if you need to scrape your windows due to ice (which we get a lot here) do you need to reapply Rain-X at your earliest convenience or does it outlast scrapings?
Old 01-20-2002, 11:51 PM

Whats the deal with the PIAA wiperblades.. i went to this auto performance shop and i had to buy the #6 and #82 for 50 bucks and then i woke up from the nightmare... overpriced cr@p..thye should put HIDs on those wiperblades for that price
ROger