General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2014 JD Power list ranks Nissan below industry average

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:56 PM

2014 JD Power list ranks Nissan below industry average

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

The industry average is 133 problems per 100 vehicles and Nissan ranks at 144 problems. Infiniti is doing markedly better at 128 problems but still lags behind Lincoln, Cadillac, Acura, Lexus, BMW and Benz. Seeing Nissan's ranking was a little saddening .
Old 02-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Not surprising. Nissan has gone steadily downhill over the last 5 years or so. 6th gen maxima was a joke and the 7th gen is not any better
Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Nissan have been below industry average for a very long time

Last edited by george__; 02-12-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM

We should not apply a manufacturer's overall reliability rating to individual vehicles. Nissan produces how many different vehicles? 18? 19? The number keeps growing.

Nissan has several vehicles that are habitually unreliable.

The Nissan Armada has had a much worse than average reliability rating since its introduction many years ago.

The Nissan Pathfinder has been a little shaky in reliability for at least six years.

The Nissan Quest has been disappointingly unreliable since its introduction.

The Nissan Titan has been noted for its pronounced unreliability since its introduction.

The Nissan Versa has not been as reliable as it should be, since it is a small vehicle with far fewer parts to go wrong than a loaded vehicle such as the Maxima.

I have often wondered how Nissan can let its reputation be so damaged by continuing to turn out those unreliable vehicles.

BUT THE MAXIMA HAS VIRTUALLY ALWAYS BEEN RATED EITHER BETTER THAN AVERAGE OR MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY SINCE IT WAS INTRODUCED BACK IN 1981. MORE RECENTLY, CONSUMER REPORTS RATES THE '08, '09, '10 AND '11 BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY, AND THE '12 IS RATED MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY.

I have owned nothing but Maximas since 1984, and I have received superior service and reliability from every generation Maxima. Per Consumer Reports, there are many more out there who have also had little trouble with their Maxima.

I have even taken a calculated risk and bought the first model year of each generation Maxima (supposedly a 'no-no'), and STILL have had excellent reliability.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM

For the last couple of year the Maxima have been assemble by red neck

Just kidding.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM

It not how it was assembled, I think it poor product planning and execution since the bean counter really lost their way how they should know what buyers want but also look at their competitors and see how they should stand out. The styling of Nissan of late been somewhat bizarre however the technical side of it was primarily the issues especially I have been hearing a lot with the CVT issues or too many complaints with warranty when Nissan dealer aren't honoring it, so therefore the JD Power survey are being down by Owners who are actually Nissan Owners. So with that said, the bad experience they get, the comment or feedback will not be glowing.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
It not how it was assembled, I think it poor product planning and execution since the bean counter really lost their way how they should know what buyers want but also look at their competitors and see how they should stand out. The styling of Nissan of late been somewhat bizarre however the technical side of it was primarily the issues especially I have been hearing a lot with the CVT issues or too many complaints with warranty when Nissan dealer aren't honoring it, so therefore the JD Power survey are being down by Owners who are actually Nissan Owners. So with that said, the bad experience they get, the comment or feedback will not be glowing.
Actually, Nissan has had very mixed quality reviews for several years. They produce so many different vehicles (17? 18? 19? I've lost track), and some of those have poor reliability records. Fortunately, the Maxima has always been a reliable vehicle.

Some Nissan styling has been sort of 'iffy', but the 7th gen Maxima styling is considered by most neutral observers as very good. I still get very nice remarks about my '09.

The CVT in the 7th gen Maxima has been reliable, but the newest CVT now being used in the new Altima has given some problems, and that is why the 8th gen Maxima has been delayed. The 8th gen Maxima will not be released until Nissan has fixed the problems with the new Altima CVT, as that is the tranny to be used in the 8th gen Maxima.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM

I wish I could agree with you Lightonthehill, my brother-in-law drove his sister's 11' Maxima and he said it feels small and the ride doesn't feel very smooth as my 01' Maxima. My sister agrees that my 01' was so much better minus the rear beam axle vs the IRS on the current Max. I almost traded in my Jeep for the 14' Maxima, but when I went to drive it and it was disappointing in many things when it comes to spending 35k car. Where Infiniti would be worth the money, so I am holding off til the 8th Gen comes out and see what their styling and what's changed in terms of tech and interior room etc...Lately the new Accord really gets my attention it's very conservative styling, but not very sporty though. Just waiting it out see what will happen.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have had 2 I30's and 2014 Max and have loved them. Had accord also reliable but no fun to drive.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
We should not apply a manufacturer's overall reliability rating to individual vehicles. Nissan produces how many different vehicles? 18? 19? The number keeps growing.

Nissan has several vehicles that are habitually unreliable.

The Nissan Armada has had a much worse than average reliability rating since its introduction many years ago.

The Nissan Pathfinder has been a little shaky in reliability for at least six years.

The Nissan Quest has been disappointingly unreliable since its introduction.

The Nissan Titan has been noted for its pronounced unreliability since its introduction.

The Nissan Versa has not been as reliable as it should be, since it is a small vehicle with far fewer parts to go wrong than a loaded vehicle such as the Maxima.

I have often wondered how Nissan can let its reputation be so damaged by continuing to turn out those unreliable vehicles.

BUT THE MAXIMA HAS VIRTUALLY ALWAYS BEEN RATED EITHER BETTER THAN AVERAGE OR MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY SINCE IT WAS INTRODUCED BACK IN 1981. MORE RECENTLY, CONSUMER REPORTS RATES THE '08, '09, '10 AND '11 BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY, AND THE '12 IS RATED MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE IN RELIABILITY.

I have owned nothing but Maximas since 1984, and I have received superior service and reliability from every generation Maxima. Per Consumer Reports, there are many more out there who have also had little trouble with their Maxima.

I have even taken a calculated risk and bought the first model year of each generation Maxima (supposedly a 'no-no'), and STILL have had excellent reliability.
Everything in red is just flat out false.

I say this having worked only with nissan/infiniti parts, nissan/jackass infiniti dealers, repair and nissan/infiniti specialty shops for about 5 years.

I'm not in the mood to make a cool long story, but in short, over the years Nissan just like EVERY manufacturer has been cutting corners, where they can save 5c on a bolt, they will and it will show in the long run, try working on these vehicles when they're as old as 4th gens, it will be pain in the *** because every bolt is stripped or just failed.

This is just a small example. I can go on and on about the quality differences between Japanese manufactured Nissans vs. American ones.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM

I've owned nothing but nissans, starting with a 03 Altima 2.5 sl, then an 04 maxima se, moved up to an 09 Altima 2.5 sl, and most recent a 2010 maxima...knock on wood but haven't had any major problems with any of them except the 04 maxima, that thing was a absolute toilet
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
I've owned nothing but nissans, starting with a 03 Altima 2.5 sl, then an 04 maxima se, moved up to an 09 Altima 2.5 sl, and most recent a 2010 maxima...knock on wood but haven't had any major problems with any of them except the 04 maxima, that thing was a absolute toilet

I agree with your assessment of the 04 Maxima. I just traded in my 04 Max(had it since new) for a 2014 Max sv. (don't ask me why). I had problems with elec, sensors,a/c compressor, engine mounts, front end shaking at highway speeds. Dealer had it for a week and couldn't fix it, Oil leaks, electric windows, valve ticks. I had 124k on it. Of course it was the first car of the 6th gen. Hopefully my 14's design is 5 yrs old and most of bugs fixed by then. We'll see
Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Nissan just needs to make more competitive products these days the lineup is becoming more so A to B transportation appliances. The X-Terra/Armada hasn't been redesigned since 2004 and the Maxima has lost its spark.

Competition is getting Fierce the next Maxima has to be a hit good MPG numbers 21 city 31 highway is competitive for the class, good drive train and power 300-320 HP will work, Interior space don't make it to big but give the Chrysler 300,Acura TLX,Ford Taurus a run for its money.

The Armada gets 12MPG in the city take the 5.6 V8 and replace it with the 3.7L found in the Infiniti M now the Q70 give it 50 more horses and call it the day. Ford/Lincoln did it with the 2015 Navigator swaped the old V8 with the ecoboost v6 from the Taurus now the Expedition should see at least 25MPG on the highway just my two cents on how i'd do it!

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-22-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

Wouldnt put too much confidence in it I have a 2006 Hummer H3 that is also well below standard but has been prolem free for me. The Maxima on the other hand was junk by comparison.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

That's it...I'm getting a Lexus or Porsche.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 PM

foodmanry i''m keeping my 6th gen for a spare car and either gonna go for an X6 or an LS460 soon as I can get out of texas and relocate to Los Angeles. I dont know about Nissan these days.
Name:  100_8313_zps6433fa7b.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  31.7 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
That's it...I'm getting a Lexus or Porsche.
Can't go wrong with a lexus
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
foodmanry i''m keeping my 6th gen for a spare car and either gonna go for an X6 or an LS460 soon as I can get out of texas and relocate to Los Angeles. I dont know about Nissan these days.
If you are relocating to LA you may want to think about buying a car...unless you are on top of stacks of money.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 PM

foodmanry yeah money's not an issue also try to give back also much as I can. Your 5th gen is probably a bad a** looking ride post a picture of that up, and yeah Lexus are pretty efficient and reliable looking to own one and keep the 6th gen on the side as a daily commuter in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-28-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:49 PM

After owning 15 Nissans, I will not be buying another! They've turned into garbage!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM

1800bucks hahhahaha its real the truth. 5th gen and 3rd Maxima's were the best most solid and reliable. My neighbor has a 2000GLE never had an issue that thing runs like its new. Nissan was on point before 2001 after 2002 it became mostly what it is today.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

**** Everything in red is just flat out false. ***

I say this having worked only with nissan/infiniti parts, nissan/jackass infiniti dealers, repair and nissan/infiniti specialty shops for about 5 years.

I'm not in the mood to make a cool long story, but in short, over the years Nissan just like EVERY manufacturer has been cutting corners, where they can save 5c on a bolt, they will and it will show in the long run, try working on these vehicles when they're as old as 4th gens, it will be pain in the *** because every bolt is stripped or just failed.

This is just a small example. I can go on and on about the quality differences between Japanese manufactured Nissans vs. American ones.

Your argument is not with me, but with Consumer Reports and other auto reliability publications THAT SHOW EXACTLY WHAT I SAID. CU's auto reliability ratings are based on almost a hundred thousand detailed response forms from subscribers actually driving these vehicles.