General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HUD unit from a 93 altima

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 AM

HUD unit from a 93 altima

So I have a friend with a clunker altima and he has a hud for the speedometer from the factory.. ive always been envious of such things.. but its not worth the $50ish and up to me. My friend said hed let me take his HUD for free! (A nice fellow) but how would I go about hooking it up to my 2001 maximas speedometer? Is this even possible? Dont flame me im just curious thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
So I have a friend with a clunker altima and he has a hud for the speedometer from the factory.. ive always been envious of such things.. but its not worth the $50ish and up to me. My friend said hed let me take his HUD for free! (A nice fellow) but how would I go about hooking it up to my 2001 maximas speedometer? Is this even possible? Dont flame me im just curious thanks in advance
Is it possible? Maybe, but with a ton of hours and research. You're gonna need to call this guy to help figure it out.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM

I think Marty McFly turning away from the mess is the answer.

That or track down Craig Brace from the 3rd gen forum. He did one.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.. I pulled it out of the car today expecting a handful of wires...theres 12 -_-
Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 PM

Okay.. still think I can do this somehow. As far as turn signal wires I assume I splice them to the signal wires, ebrake light to the dash ebrake light, etc

Vut But the question I do have is how do I hook something up to display speed?

Say for instance I bought a basic led gauge display that can display numbers.. how could I get the cars speed to be display on that screen? Or is that impossible?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Administrator

I think you're trying to simplify it too much. Can't blame you though... The Altima it came out of, the HUD wasn't tied to the turn signal wires directly...I'm sure they went through a "black box" which interpreted the turn signal's signal and then translated the info/signal to the HUD. Same goes for all the other things too (vehicle speed, rpm's etc)

I wish it was as simple as your what you're thinking, but I doubt it is.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I think you're trying to simplify it too much. Can't blame you though... The Altima it came out of, the HUD wasn't tied to the turn signal wires directly...I'm sure they went through a "black box" which interpreted the turn signal's signal and then translated the info/signal to the HUD. Same goes for all the other things too (vehicle speed, rpm's etc)

I wish it was as simple as your what you're thinking, but I doubt it is.
I figured, but I also thought thst as long as its hooked up to the light aspect itll flash. . And id even be hsppy with just getting the speed to be displayed and nothing else.. :/ but looks like thatll be a no.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:45 PM

I pulled the wiring diagram for the 1993 Altima and looked at the instrument cluster with and without the HUD.

Extremely different animals. The standard instrument cluster has 4 wire harness connectors on it. With the HUD, it has 6 wire harness connectors.

The instrument cluster with the HUD uses 3 additional modules: the head-up display control module, the speedometer module and the head-up display unit.

The head-up display unit (12 wires) is what the op has.

Without the other 2 sections - forget it.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I pulled the wiring diagram for the 1993 Altima and looked at the instrument cluster with and without the HUD.

Extremely different animals. The standard instrument cluster has 4 wire harness connectors on it. With the HUD, it has 6 wire harness connectors.

The instrument cluster with the HUD uses 3 additional modules: the head-up display control module, the speedometer module and the head-up display unit.

The head-up display unit (12 wires) is what the op has.

Without the other 2 sections - forget it.
Much appreciated, I was afraid of this answer which is why I was hoping someome more tech savy could help me out.
My plan was to place it in the center and tint it blue with the aid off lee filters.
Im aware I could buy them from the internet.. but although I think theyre cool..theyre not worth the money. I just thought I bring it home and give it a shot. Thank you much for your help, and crushing my dreams:""(. Just kidding thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
Much appreciated, Thank you much for your help, and crushing my dreams:""(. Just kidding thanks
What are friends for?
Old 05-16-2014, 10:31 AM

I never saw an Altima with HUD, but heard about that but that's extreme rarity, I hear the same with the 3rd gen Maxima had them on very few built
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM

There's apps for that on smart phones now and no wires lol
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I never saw an Altima with HUD, but heard about that but that's extreme rarity, I hear the same with the 3rd gen Maxima had them on very few built
My fathers 93 had one at one point in time! Quite cool!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
There's apps for that on smart phones now and no wires lol
Yeah im aware.. but those dont work during the day time I may just get an ebay one and use camera filters to 'tint' it blue