General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lite Glow Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 06:17 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Lite Glow Question

i'm thinking of getting two lite glow 10'' rods and placing one under the passenger dash, and one under the driver dash. what i don't get is how can i connect the two of them so i can use one plug for the cigarette adapter?
Old 01-20-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Lite Glow Question

Just cut the cigarette adapter off one set and splice it into the other set. But why use the cigarette lighter? Much cleaner install if you hardwire them into your car so it's permanent. Doesn't take that much longer either.

Originally posted by KrZyMaX
i'm thinking of getting two lite glow 10'' rods and placing one under the passenger dash, and one under the driver dash. what i don't get is how can i connect the two of them so i can use one plug for the cigarette adapter?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Re: Re: Lite Glow Question

Originally posted by Shadow
Just cut the cigarette adapter off one set and splice it into the other set. But why use the cigarette lighter? Much cleaner install if you hardwire them into your car so it's permanent. Doesn't take that much longer either.

how would i do that? please do enlighten me.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:00 PM

1)Take both tubes and cut off the cig plug adapter
2)solder both (+) of each tube together and both (-) together
3) remove the cig plug our of the car and splice the (+) to the wires of the plug and the (-) of the tubes to the (-) of the plug.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:03 PM

or you can go to radio shack and buy a multi-socket whick you can plug up to 3 tubes at the same time
Old 01-20-2002, 10:09 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Originally posted by Nismo
1)Take both tubes and cut off the cig plug adapter
2)solder both (+) of each tube together and both (-) together
3) remove the cig plug our of the car and splice the (+) to the wires of the plug and the (-) of the tubes to the (-) of the plug.
cool. thanx!

will the cig plug still work let's say if i wanted to charge the batteries of my cell phone?
Old 01-20-2002, 10:32 PM

cool. thanx!

will the cig plug still work let's say if i wanted to charge the batteries of my cell phone?
everything will work as normal.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:45 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

somebody mentioned something about splicing the wires to the taillights wire in the fusebox. do i have to up the fuse to a higher number if i decide to do this? i upped the fuse to #10 because of my rewired blinkers.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:10 AM

I just bought 2 of those lite glow 10 inch rods too....I'm planning on doing the same thing as you....but I went to radio shack and bought a toggle switch so I can manually turn them off and on. I already have a BUNCH of stuff spliced into the cig adapter...is there any other 12V source under the dash that I can use to power these suckers???
Old 01-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Maxima owner since 2000

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I just bought 2 of those lite glow 10 inch rods too....I'm planning on doing the same thing as you....but I went to radio shack and bought a toggle switch so I can manually turn them off and on. I already have a BUNCH of stuff spliced into the cig adapter...is there any other 12V source under the dash that I can use to power these suckers???
where are you planning on placing your toggle switch?
Old 01-21-2002, 12:36 AM

where are you planning on placing your toggle switch?
haven't decided yet...probably somewhere hidden that i can reach from the driver's seat....possibilities are endless...
Old 01-21-2002, 12:44 AM

cant you just wire the + straight to the battery through the firewall and ground the - to the steering coulumn? thats what I did with alot of stuff I have
Old 01-21-2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
cant you just wire the + straight to the battery through the firewall and ground the - to the steering coulumn? thats what I did with alot of stuff I have
I already have WAY too many wires going from the cockpit to the engine bay....too much work...plus then you need an inline fuse if you run straight from the battery.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

what firewall? what inline fuse? you guys are confusing me...
Old 01-21-2002, 03:42 PM

my favorite way of connecting neons is by cutting off the cigarette lighter adapters and then tapping the wires onto the lightbulb of the actual cigarette lighter.......you can attach a switch if u like
Old 01-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
my favorite way of connecting neons is by cutting off the cigarette lighter adapters and then tapping the wires onto the lightbulb of the actual cigarette lighter.......you can attach a switch if u like
so i have to pull out the cig lighter and put the neon wires behind the side wall up to the lightbulb of the cig lighter?
Old 01-22-2002, 01:46 AM

OK, listen.

This will save your neons life, and make you a happy camper.

Buy a relay, some connectors, an inline fuse, and wire.

The rela will have four prongs you will need to fill:
a trigger
a 12v+ source (run a wire to the battery that is fused)
a ground
an output prong that turns on when the trigger prog recieves a current

tap your dimmer wire, it should be off of your stereo harness, connect that to the trigger prong. then, run a wire to the battery, attach a fuse within 6" of the battery, run that wire to the 12v+ prong. attach the ground prog to a ground point. connect your neons together, + to +, - to - to ground. connect the output prong to your +. now, only when you turn your lights on will your neons turn on.

ill draw up a diagram if you need.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:57 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ngthing
OK, listen.

This will save your neons life, and make you a happy camper.

Buy a relay, some connectors, an inline fuse, and wire.

The rela will have four prongs you will need to fill:
a trigger
a 12v+ source (run a wire to the battery that is fused)
a ground
an output prong that turns on when the trigger prog recieves a current

tap your dimmer wire, it should be off of your stereo harness, connect that to the trigger prong. then, run a wire to the battery, attach a fuse within 6" of the battery, run that wire to the 12v+ prong. attach the ground prog to a ground point. connect your neons together, + to +, - to - to ground. connect the output prong to your +. now, only when you turn your lights on will your neons turn on.

ill draw up a diagram if you need.
Now, how would you do this if you want a switch to turn them on and off, but only when the lights are on?

By adding a second relay with the trigger wired to the switch, the 12V source from the output prong of the first relay as you've described and the ground (duh!) grounded? Then take the output of the second relay to the neons?

Where can you buy relays? I've never seen them in stores.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875

Now, how would you do this if you want a switch to turn them on and off, but only when the lights are on?

By adding a second relay with the trigger wired to the switch, the 12V source from the output prong of the first relay as you've described and the ground (duh!) grounded? Then take the output of the second relay to the neons?

Where can you buy relays? I've never seen them in stores.

I'm writing a presentation I have due in 2 hours, I'll draw a diagram today for you.

Usuing my descritpion (which was very badly written), all you'd have to do is place a switch on the output trigger of that relay. This switch would control the on/off of the neons, and this swtich would only have use when there was power supplied from the relay. If the relay is not suppling power, it doesn't matter if the switch is in the on/off position, there is no power period. as you requested, your relay will only supply power when your lights are on which is controlled by a switch.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:39 AM
ejj

I'm writing a presentation I have due in 2 hours, I'll draw a diagram today for you.

Usuing my descritpion (which was very badly written), all you'd have to do is place a switch on the output trigger of that relay. This switch would control the on/off of the neons, and this swtich would only have use when there was power supplied from the relay. If the relay is not suppling power, it doesn't matter if the switch is in the on/off position, there is no power period. as you requested, your relay will only supply power when your lights are on which is controlled by a switch.
Ah! No need for a diagram. I completely understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

Any idea on where to pick up relays? Auto stores?
Old 01-22-2002, 05:46 AM
ejj

So, why wouldn't you just run the input to the switch from the dimmer line itself?

Is the relay to ensure that it will get a good strong 12V directly from the battery?
Old 01-22-2002, 06:22 AM

So, why wouldn't you just run the input to the switch from the dimmer line itself?

Is the relay to ensure that it will get a good strong 12V directly from the battery?
the relay allows for future expansion. if you have any other accesories you want to turn on/off /w your lights.

i don't believe that the dimmer wire supplies enough power to power a lot of accessories, it's more of just a trigger wire for your deck (if it has dimming capablities)

it's also a good idea to draw from the battery intead of the 18gauge dimmer wire that comes out of the harness electrical fires are bad.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:24 AM
ejj

the relay allows for future expansion. if you have any other accesories you want to turn on/off /w your lights.

i don't believe that the dimmer wire supplies enough power to power a lot of accessories, it's more of just a trigger wire for your deck (if it has dimming capablities)

it's also a good idea to draw from the battery intead of the 18gauge dimmer wire that comes out of the harness electrical fires are bad.
That's kinda what I thought. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:33 AM

sorry i didnt answer your qeustion earlier. usually a radio shack, or an auto store like pepboys and shucks will carry relays.

the relay is to ensure that you will be receiving enough power to power your accessories. like i said, if you tap the dimmer switch, you'll probably burn out a fuse or your harness. the dimmer wire is about 18-22 gauge...tiny. by running it through a relay, you can power as many accessories as you'd like without the fear of burning anything up.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:35 AM
ejj

sorry i didnt answer your qeustion earlier. usually a radio shack, or an auto store like pepboys and shucks will carry relays.

the relay is to ensure that you will be receiving enough power to power your accessories. like i said, if you tap the dimmer switch, you'll probably burn out a fuse or your harness. the dimmer wire is about 18-22 gauge...tiny. by running it through a relay, you can power as many accessories as you'd like without the fear of burning anything up.
Right. Aren't there different types of relays? Which do we need for this application?
Old 01-22-2002, 06:38 AM

Right. Aren't there different types of relays? Which do we need for this application?
i've always encourntered the same relay, bosch 30amp relay, but as long as the relay you pick up and do what is needed, it shouldn't matter.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:40 AM
ejj

i've always encourntered the same relay, bosch 30amp relay, but as long as the relay you pick up and do what is needed, it shouldn't matter.
Cool. Thanks again for all your help.