General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why can Max/Nissan comercials be like....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Kevlo for President

Why can Max/Nissan comercials be like....

good ......like i actualy like the viper comercial with the whole doage line up in it going to work

i am not saying just plain suck but the need to be better like the old ones
Old 01-21-2002, 09:32 AM

Re: Why can Max/Nissan comercials be like....

Originally posted by kevlo911
good ......like i actualy like the viper comercial with the whole doage line up in it going to work

New marketing teams and focus points haev to do with all that kinda stuff.

SuDZ
Old 01-21-2002, 10:39 AM

the best Nissan commericals had The Who songs on them "Baba O'Rielly" with the Pathfinders playing Polo...."Bargain" on the Altima commercials...and i believe some Maxima commercials had "Wont Get Fooled Again"....I always blast The Who when ridin around in the max
Old 01-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

took me a minute to figure out what you're trying to say...i think you mean Why ......can'tmax/nissan commercials be like good......but i think the max commercials are better than most car commercials......
Old 01-21-2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Maximan190
the best Nissan commericals had The Who songs on them "Baba O'Rielly" with the Pathfinders playing Polo...."Bargain" on the Altima commercials...and i believe some Maxima commercials had "Wont Get Fooled Again"....I always blast The Who when ridin around in the max
who??? - Old Cartoon
Old 01-21-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

who??? - Old Cartoon
THE who...the band
Old 01-21-2002, 11:36 AM

i always thought the bird chase 4th gen commercial they played during the superbowl was the best car commercial ever
Old 01-21-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
i always thought the bird chase 4th gen commercial they played during the superbowl was the best car commercial ever
This car co. needs to grow up if they want to sell cars to adults. As they are, they probably appeal to 15 year-olds who will be getting a license in a year or two.

You mean showing a SUV crashing through a horse show isn't a good commercial that will sell vehicles? There's one word that describes that commercial, or maybe 3, JUST PLAIN DUMB!

That was a good Super Bowl commercial because I remember people in the office talking about it the next day. Was that '97 or '98?
Old 01-21-2002, 01:23 PM

It’s harder than you think, guys.

I make commercials for a living. Now, I’m not going to get into all the specifics, but let’s just say that there are a LOT of unseen factors going into the creation of a TV commercial. Market research showing that some dumba** consumer thinks it’s important to see the tailpipe for 12 seconds. Guess what? Next thing you know, you have to show a damn tailpipe for 12 seconds. NOW make it a good commercial. And there are tons of other little things like that.

Sometimes, it’s like trying to create the Mona Lisa on something the size of a penny.

When looking at Nissan’s ads, try to compare them to the others in the industry.
Sure, VW ads whoop the cr*p out of Nissan’s and everyone else’s. That’s because they have the ***** to break "the rules."

In my professional opinion, Nissan commercials are better than:
Chevy ("We’ll be there")
Ford (???)
Honda
Pontiac
Toyota (You want one)
Isuzu (kill Joe!)
Lexus (used to be good. Now crap.)
Chrysler
Dodge (the new mayor of cr*pville)

They’re probably even with Mitsubishi

Not nearly as good as VW.

Best car commercial ever? "Dolls", the predecessor to the birds one where G.I. Joe steals Barbie in his 300Z. That was nearly the perfect ad.

As always, just my humble opinion- but one I get paid for.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Adboy

Best car commercial ever? "Dolls", the predecessor to the birds one where G.I. Joe steals Barbie in his 300Z. That was nearly the perfect ad.
oh ya, i remember that one
Old 01-21-2002, 01:38 PM

It’s harder than you think, guys.

I make commercials for a living. Now, I’m not going to get into all the specifics, but let’s just say that there are a LOT of unseen factors going into the creation of a TV commercial. Market research showing that some dumba** consumer thinks it’s important to see the tailpipe for 12 seconds. Guess what? Next thing you know, you have to show a damn tailpipe for 12 seconds. NOW make it a good commercial. And there are tons of other little things like that.

Sometimes, it’s like trying to create the Mona Lisa on something the size of a penny.

When looking at Nissan’s ads, try to compare them to the others in the industry.
Sure, VW ads whoop the cr*p out of Nissan’s and everyone else’s. That’s because they have the ***** to break "the rules."

In my professional opinion, Nissan commercials are better than:
Chevy ("We’ll be there")
Ford (???)
Honda
Pontiac
Toyota (You want one)
Isuzu (kill Joe!)
Lexus (used to be good. Now crap.)
Chrysler
Dodge (the new mayor of cr*pville)

They’re probably even with Mitsubishi

Not nearly as good as VW.

As always, just my humble opinion- but one I get paid for.
True, but ultimately somebody has to do a reality check. Just like when you get directions over the web, sometimes they don't make sense.

Mitsubishi builds a terrible car but they have appealing ads, such as the guy asking for directions to the museum. That appeals to the 25+ engaged or married man. As I said, Nissan ads are for 15 year-olds.

If anyone at Nissan said that their potential buyers would like to see a Pathfinder crashing through a horse show, they have to have their head examined. If they hired a professional ad agency, that agency needs more due diligence.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:52 PM

Their agency is TBWA Chiat/Day in Venice, Ca. Headed by one of the greatest creative geniuses of our time, Lee Clow.

The agency that created the famous "1984" Macintosh ad (as well as "think Different," etc…)

The agency that created the Energizer Bunny (great in its time.)

And, unfortunately, the agency that created the Taco Bell Chihuahua. (you can’t win them all.)

Believe me, an agency of this size (~$800 million in billings) and worldwide scope did their due diligence. And in the case of the Pathfinder ads, it probably said "People want to think they can do crazy, "xtreme" stuff in their SUVs even though they never will." So Nissan’s agency, savvy as they are, played off of what makes any ad more effective- one of life’s simple truths. Not that you would, but you could.

Not a "great" commercial by any stretch of the imagination. But better than most.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Their agency is TBWA Chiat/Day in Venice, Ca. Headed by one of the greatest creative geniuses of our time, Lee Clow.

The agency that created the famous "1984" Macintosh ad (as well as "think Different," etc…)

I think the IBM PC marketing campaign kicked Apple's butt, as is shown many years down the road as PC is very much the standard.

Many firms go down the drain when they rest on their laurels, such as Andersen. It was once prestigious to be a marketing analyst working for Proctor--I'm not so sure that is true today.

I consider Nissans ads to be sub-standard and overly agressive with no message (Not that you would, cause you wont). Mitsubishi seems to be more tasteful as their ads are targeted at different groups--the base car lancer at first timers, the upscale galant at potentially cheating husbands. That is genious, not Chiat.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:04 PM

I liked the Nissan 300 ads ith G.I.Jo and Barbie and Ken
Old 01-21-2002, 05:13 PM

YES YES YES!

NICE!! just saw the new 2002 Maxima commercial and apparently The Who songs are back! They had "Bargain" playing; "The best I ever HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!" (One of) my favorite cars along with (one of) my favorite bands
Old 01-21-2002, 06:16 PM

Re: YES YES YES!

Originally posted by Maximan190
NICE!! just saw the new 2002 Maxima commercial and apparently The Who songs are back! They had "Bargain" playing; "The best I ever HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!" (One of) my favorite cars along with (one of) my favorite bands
One thing Nissan does not understand--*EX sells! I never paid attention to Toyota commercials, then one day I noticed a low-cut blouse on that dude Arliss' assistant. Suddenly I realized that Toyota puts some of that into their commercials.

I too love The Who (it's not gonna sell cars, though Mitsu made Put your body in motion dough). The ol' rule of thumb was when you brought a lady back to your place, it was side one of Led Zeppelin IV. I realize times have changed so maybe now it's Puddle of Mudd or whatever they're called. I love the way you slap my ***...Got some weird results this summer at the shore!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:10 AM

In my oppinion I thought the dodge commercial with the computer animated jets flying through the hanger was sorta tacky. Atleast that was the first impression I got when I first saw it.

I also know that whenever I see a nissan commercial it doesn't make me want to pull my hair out like the mazada commercials do. So I think they're doin something right.

Zoom ZoooM zooM..... ZOom Zoooom ZOom.... Zoom Zoooom ZOom Argh!!!!!

Old 01-22-2002, 07:39 AM

I actually kind of like the new Maxima commercials myself... Astronaut going into space dreaming about driving a 6spd Maxima. 6spd Maxima out running Death... Cars like it 0!! lol