General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WarpSpeed Gen4 Subframe X brace Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WarpSpeed Gen4 Subframe X brace Review

This is a message we received from Travis. We installed the stage 1 and 2 sub frame connectors on his car Thursday.

"Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. The weather has been less than cooperative. I finally had a chance to get out and really push the car and I can now say without a doubt that it is much improved. Small rattles that used to drive me insane are gone. It feel like there is a solid steel plate under the car and the front and rear now react as one. My wife noticed as soon as we went over that first set of railroad tracks as you leave town, how much stiffer the car was. I had a run-in with a BMW 318 yesterday on the way home from work. There's a back road with lots of curves and only one straightaway for passing. At the end of the straightaway, a 90-degree turn to the left. I came up on him right before the straightaway and he was driving pretty slow. I pull out to pass him on the straightaway and he decides to floor it. So I gun it and get in front of him, but I was going a little faster than I planned with not much room to slow down for the turn. I entered the turn WAY TOO FAST! The car held though! I was amazed and grateful. Tires broke free and the car drifted through the turn. I was scared to say the least. I was so close to going in the ditch. My tires need to be upgraded at this point for some with a little more stick to them.
All in all, I am very impressed. The car feels better, rides better, and handles better. Anyone who autocrosses their car should get this mod."

I am sure he'll answer questions.

We are installing several more sets tomorrow and later this week and will be shipping some this week for the gen 4. We'll get some firm pricing posted tomorrow.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-20-2002, 08:45 PM

Sweet.

Any pictures?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:46 PM

Just follow this link for photo's and basically what we did to his car.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/gen4subframes.htm

Dallas
Old 01-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mmmmm... X-brace...
Old 01-20-2002, 11:43 PM

what does the xbrace exactly do?
Old 01-21-2002, 05:50 AM

when can we get these? The page says that you replaced the S pipe...will this piece be included in the kit, or is it separate?
Old 01-21-2002, 06:20 AM

Included with the kit. We will also make them available for those that just want to get rid of the restriction as well.

I'll have a better idea on availability after today but we are currently bending the tubing for around 40 carsets with more tubing on the way.

Dallas
Old 01-21-2002, 06:27 AM
Conecarver

Sounds great for everyday and roadcoursing but for SCCA Solo2 this mod may be illegal for STS and the new STX classes. I'm still trying to get a definate yes or no on it.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:44 AM

WSP subframe bracing

BEJAY1 Please let us know the rules. If you would post them for all to read it would be informative.

Dan WSP
Old 01-21-2002, 06:55 AM

Yes please do let us know. If it is legal for STS then im going to place my order ASAP.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Sounds great for everyday and roadcoursing but for SCCA Solo2 this mod may be illegal for STS and the new STX classes. I'm still trying to get a definate yes or no on it.
I'm nearly certain on a 2002 these mods are going to land you in one of the prepared classes (not street prepated) where you will promptly get your butt handed to you by people running cars that aren't street leagal and have heavy modifications.

Stereodude
Old 01-21-2002, 07:27 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by bmfjeep
Just follow this link for photo's and basically what we did to his car.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/gen4subframes.htm

Dallas
That's some serious bracing!

Old 01-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Conecarver

Not STS legal!

3/13/02 update. SCCAForums just came back and confirmed this will move you to SM Street Mod. Subframes are not mentioned, not speficially allowed.

Just read over the SCCA rules again...

17.7. ANTI-SWAY BARS
"Any anti-sway bar is permitted. Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted. This does not authorize removal of a welded-on part of a subframe toa ccommodate the installation. Components such as anti-roll bars and strut housings which serve dual purposes by also functioning as suspension locators may not be modified in ways which change the suspension geometry or steering geometry "

That would be it right? I had asked on sccaforums.com back in Dec and someone referred me to the following

17.8. SUSPENSION
"Strut bars are permitted with all types of suspension. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper right to upper left suspension mounting point and from lower right to lower left suspension mounting point. No other configuration is permitted. Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment is permitted"

That doesn't seem right since SFC's don't touch the struts. Think I confused things by mentioning longitunal and cross-frame.

Street Mod class is quite clear
"Subframe connectors are allowed, but each connector must be attached individually without any lateral components attaching the two longitudinal frame rails. Subframe connectors may be bolted or welded"

WS stage 1 but not stage 2 is ok for SM

Ok, I'll post on ask the SEB and see what comes back...
Old 01-21-2002, 09:55 PM

The "anti-sway bars" one is not it, and neither is the "suspension" one. Subframe connectors aren't related to sway bars, and aren't strut bars.... I'd look/ask for something referring to "chassis" (or "chassis stiffeners") or "body".
Old 01-22-2002, 06:01 AM

hmmm interesting. I hope they don't push the maxes into the nonstreet classes.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:12 AM

i hope the pricing is nice cause i would love to get it for the track.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Lime
hmmm interesting. I hope they don't push the maxes into the nonstreet classes.
There might be hope the 3.0L max's the new 3.5's w/ SFC's are going to get tossed into "Prepared" and will be crushed and destroyed by near race cars.

Stereodude
Old 01-22-2002, 07:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by bmfjeep
Included with the kit. We will also make them available for those that just want to get rid of the restriction as well.

I'll have a better idea on availability after today but we are currently bending the tubing for around 40 carsets with more tubing on the way.

Dallas
What is the cost availablity for a 2K1? The pics were not as infomative as the 4th gen on the website? Benefits the same?
Old 01-22-2002, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

What is the cost availablity for a 2K1? The pics were not as infomative as the 4th gen on the website? Benefits the same?

We did a 2000 2 weeks ago and installed just the stage 1, we applied the stage 2 x-bracing yesterday to the same car. They said it made a dramatic difference, in fact they said that after each part of the install.

We will be doing a 2001 on Friday along with a Y pipe. I know already that the 2001 will fit and perform the same. The underbody of the Maxima is relatively unchanged since 1995.

The 1995 we did yesterday had basically a stock suspension, when we sent Dave out on the curviest road in the area he reported back 45 minutes later that he was taking curves that were marked 15 and 20 mph at 70 mph. It makes the same difference with the gen 5's as well.

We now have it worked out so only the stage 1 will have to be welded on, the stage 2 x-bracing will bolt to the mounting pads of the stage 1. It will only be necessary to drill 6-3/8" holes in the mounting brackets to install the stage 2. We know this is the only way to ensure the holes will align properly. Plus all of you most likely own a drill and you can do it your self. All bolts are grade 5 metric with grade 5 aircraft locknuts and are included. We are making up printed instructions which will also be posted on our website.

The price will be the basically the same for all generations with the exception of those that require the replacement of the "s" section behind the converter (97-2000 Fed for certain). They will run about $15 more. We replace the "s" section with a straight section of tubing with o2 insert, gaskets and bolts. The "s" section hangs down almost 1-1/2" and is as well very restrictive.

The pricing will go something like this:
For 30 days from official release:
Stage 1: $125
Stage 2 X-bracing $75
$15 additional for those with o2 sensor behind their converter
After 30 days price stays the same for anyone who has bought a Y pipe from us. For those that have not the price will be:
Stage 1 $150
Stage 2 X-bracing $85

I have to go out now and weigh a set. I know most people will want to know that as well. I'll also get a shipping price together now that we are certain about all of the components.

Dallas