General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I found a good way to clean floormats

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 12:45 AM

I found a good way to clean floormats

Since my tan interior carpeted floormats were dirty as ***** and had alot of spots on them, I decided to give them a thorough cleaning. I first prepped the mats by beating the F outta them to remove any huge loose dirt. Then I used a stain remover such as spray n wash that you use on stains for the laundry. I then prepped the clothes washing machine by using hot water and Tide. I had to fold most of the mats so that they would all fit in. I put it on the longest cycle possible, including the automatic presoaks. Once the spin cycle was complete, I just took them out and hung them in the bathtub to dry all the way. They smell and look much better. All but the most in ground stains (driver mat with clutch n brake marks) came out completely. The only neg I saw was the woven edges did become a tiny bit frayed. This can probably be cured by setting the machine to gentle instead of regular, but I dunno how well it would still work in removing stains.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:54 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sounds good.... i'd try it... if i had factory mats but i found that automotive carpet cleaner stuff works good, worked well on my car.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
sounds good.... i'd try it... if i had factory mats but i found that automotive carpet cleaner stuff works good, worked well on my car.
I don't have factory mats either... stupid things always slide around cause they don't mount on the factory points. I'd rather save the 50 bucks for real upgrades though... speaking of which I really should get around to that RSB.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:40 AM

i bought a set of cheap plastic floormats to put over my factory ones...especially with all this snow/road salt crap being tracked in the car it helps
Old 01-21-2002, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

WASHING FLOOR MATTS

1) Take some liquid Tide or whatever you use, pretreat spots. Let stand while you wash your car.

2) Take garden hose and soak matts. Apply liquid Tide to matts and scrub them with a brush.

3) Rinse throughly with hose and hang to dry in the sun.

Total time - about 10 min.
Dry time - about 2 hrs.

Matts come out beautiful with no damange to ends.

TIP - Use some fabric softener mixed in a bucket of warm water to make them soft and smell April Fresh!

I think thats much easier then the washing machine method and you wount damage your matts that way either.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:10 AM

Re: WASHING FLOOR MATTS

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
1) Take some liquid Tide or whatever you use, pretreat spots. Let stand while you wash your car.

2) Take garden hose and soak matts. Apply liquid Tide to matts and scrub them with a brush.

3) Rinse throughly with hose and hang to dry in the sun.

Total time - about 10 min.
Dry time - about 2 hrs.

Matts come out beautiful with no damange to ends.

TIP - Use some fabric softener mixed in a bucket of warm water to make them soft and smell April Fresh!

I think thats much easier then the washing machine method and you wount damage your matts that way either.
i go to like shoprite or a&p and rent one of those rug doctors with the cleaning attachment, man i must say for a litte machine what a job it does i cleaned all the carpet inside my max and it looks almost brand new.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:49 AM

Re: I found a good way to clean floormats

Originally posted by ericdwong
Since my tan interior carpeted floormats were dirty as ***** and had alot of spots on them, I decided to give them a thorough cleaning. I first prepped the mats by beating the F outta them to remove any huge loose dirt. Then I used a stain remover such as spray n wash that you use on stains for the laundry. I then prepped the clothes washing machine by using hot water and Tide. I had to fold most of the mats so that they would all fit in. I put it on the longest cycle possible, including the automatic presoaks. Once the spin cycle was complete, I just took them out and hung them in the bathtub to dry all the way. They smell and look much better. All but the most in ground stains (driver mat with clutch n brake marks) came out completely. The only neg I saw was the woven edges did become a tiny bit frayed. This can probably be cured by setting the machine to gentle instead of regular, but I dunno how well it would still work in removing stains.
Are you going to a laundromat? I kinda wouln't want the dirt from peoples' feet getting into my washer and then my own clothes.

I found it impossible to get dirt out of the white "Maxima" logo. I scrubbed and scrubbed with carpet cleaner to no avail....
Old 01-21-2002, 08:02 AM

I find it easier to take it to the car wash and hi-pressure soap/spray them.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by got rice?
I find it easier to take it to the car wash and hi-pressure soap/spray them.
I do that sometimes but it doesnt really get stuff it it has been cacked on there or after a few weeks of snow/sand in my area.

SuDZ
Old 01-21-2002, 10:13 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: I found a good way to clean floormats

Car wash, high pressure soap then rinse. Be like new.

Old 01-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by SuDZ

I do that sometimes but it doesnt really get stuff it it has been cacked on there or after a few weeks of snow/sand in my area.

SuDZ
Don't ya just hate the snow and sand crap? Makes me want to move south. My car is a mess after this past weekend and again today. We just got like another inch and the sanders are out in full force.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:19 AM

I gave up and just bought new OEM mats from the dealer. Made my whole car smell new! I put the old ones in during the winter..
Old 01-21-2002, 11:32 AM

I just clean my tan floor mat... take them to the bathtub... no outside place to wash them(live in apt)... wet them first.. then get soem liquid tide, use a small brush and brush them in one direction, rinse, repeat, hang them dry.. they look almost brand new...
Old 01-21-2002, 03:15 PM

i bought clear mats to put over the factory cloth ones. i vacuum/clean my car weekly, so the factory mats usually only have a few pieces of grass or whatever on them, which the vacuum takes care of. no stains. by the way, these clear mats are like 4.99 at walmart.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you buy a wet/dry vac you can cut down on drying time.

Erik
Old 01-21-2002, 03:32 PM

i just use a steamer vacuum thing to clean my mats.....it works very nice
Old 01-21-2002, 04:06 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by wope
i bought clear mats to put over the factory cloth ones. i vacuum/clean my car weekly, so the factory mats usually only have a few pieces of grass or whatever on them, which the vacuum takes care of. no stains. by the way, these clear mats are like 4.99 at walmart.
Same here...