General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

$225 per tire? BS or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 01:17 PM

$225 per tire? BS or no?

i'm only 17 and don't do all the maintenance on the maxi, my mom and her credit card take care of that. anyway, she just came back from some tire shop in newton, nj saying that "the guy told me only bridgestone high performance tires fit our car (wheel, stock 17"), and it's such a rare tire that they don't carry them and have to order them for $225 per tire"

couple questions about this.. first off, the most important, is this guy trying to bull$hit my mom or what? $225 sounds crazy... when my mom even said that to him he replied.. "well they're top of the line tires for top of the line cars like yours and some bmw's"... from that i just gather that he's scamming her.. making her feel good about having such a "top of the line car" that requires "top of the line tires",... but she's not dumb, and didn't buy them. now i hope i'm not wrong, and that this guy in fact is full of crap.

question 2,, those are factory tires, now with 35k on them,, are they supposed to wear down that quickly? take into account i am only 17 and have had fun with the car, limited fun, but still fun at that... so anyway, how long should the tires last?

question 3,, are there in fact other tires that will fit the wheel? should i stick to the bridgestone tires but find them cheaper, maybe? and where should i go? online or find a shop? (i live in north eastern NJ)i kinda need the tires as soon as possible,, especially if we keep getting little snow storms up here.

thanks in advance
- brett
Old 01-21-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: $225 per tire? BS or no?

there is no way that only one type of tire fits on a car
Old 01-21-2002, 01:29 PM

this was talked about in a different thread.

I suggest www.tirerack.com

if you don't know the tire dimensions check the user manual
Old 01-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by brettcassidy
i'm only 17 and don't do all the maintenance on the maxi, my mom and her credit card take care of that. anyway, she just came back from some tire shop in newton, nj saying that "the guy told me only bridgestone high performance tires fit our car (wheel, stock 17"), and it's such a rare tire that they don't carry them and have to order them for $225 per tire"

couple questions about this.. first off, the most important, is this guy trying to bull$hit my mom or what? $225 sounds crazy... when my mom even said that to him he replied.. "well they're top of the line tires for top of the line cars like yours and some bmw's"... from that i just gather that he's scamming her.. making her feel good about having such a "top of the line car" that requires "top of the line tires",... but she's not dumb, and didn't buy them. now i hope i'm not wrong, and that this guy in fact is full of crap.

question 2,, those are factory tires, now with 35k on them,, are they supposed to wear down that quickly? take into account i am only 17 and have had fun with the car, limited fun, but still fun at that... so anyway, how long should the tires last?

question 3,, are there in fact other tires that will fit the wheel? should i stick to the bridgestone tires but find them cheaper, maybe? and where should i go? online or find a shop? (i live in north eastern NJ)i kinda need the tires as soon as possible,, especially if we keep getting little snow storms up here.

thanks in advance
- brett
Looks like 225/50-17 is an odd size. Seems like Tire Rack only has 2 tires to choose from. But the Michelin costs $202 at the Tire Rack. If you add mounting and spin-balancing, it's conceivable that they price would be $20-$35 higher, ie almost $250. At least the $250 should include everything.

Seems like the 235/45-17 is much more available, with some high-end tires being only $175 or so. Nissan should have done the 235/45 but they probably saved a fortune issuing narrower rims on the SE's in production ie the 225/50.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:32 PM

BS, prolly not, b/c usually smaller shops or retail store have high mark up, that and he could be trying to scam your mom...

[
you didn't state which year max you have, but i'm going to assume a 5th gen SE with the optional 17's...they can wear out that quick if you do a lot of spirited driving, but go check your tires, if they're on the wear bars or close you need to replace 'em

well, high performance tires are not recommended in snow and ice conditions because the compounds usually have to be brought up to a higher temperature to maintain traction. you should really consider snow tires or all seasons if you don't want to buy a spare set. Try Discouttiredirect.com or tirerack.com they have fairly decent prices on all types of tires...

thanks in advance
no problem, i hope i was of assistance
Old 01-21-2002, 01:45 PM

thanks for that quick input.. after a few calls, we found a shop in oxford, nj... charging $153 for the same tire. about winter tires.. i just need new tires with some tread, the tires now are probably dangerous in a small rain fall.

i'll try to get the name of the first shop,, it wasn't some smaller place, so i think they just saw my mother and figured they could get away with charging $225 (+ mounting, balancing, whatever), thankfully she's quite the shopper/consumer

just for my information, if i drive regularly with the new tires, is 50k miles possible?

thanks again

-brett
Old 01-21-2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by brettcassidy
i'm only 17 and don't do all the maintenance on the maxi, my mom and her credit card take care of that.
YOU, my friend, ARE the lucky one
Old 01-21-2002, 04:15 PM

Re: Re: $225 per tire? BS or no?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Looks like 225/50-17 is an odd size. Seems like Tire Rack only has 2 tires to choose from. But the Michelin costs $202 at the Tire Rack. If you add mounting and spin-balancing, it's conceivable that they price would be $20-$35 higher, ie almost $250. At least the $250 should include everything.

Seems like the 235/45-17 is much more available, with some high-end tires being only $175 or so. Nissan should have done the 235/45 but they probably saved a fortune issuing narrower rims on the SE's in production ie the 225/50.
you could probably fit a 235/45 on that rim i would think
Old 01-21-2002, 04:26 PM

HELL NO! - i aint ever gonna spend a gee for a set of tires......u can get potenzas for like 100 each
Old 01-21-2002, 04:26 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

it's a rare tire size so, over $200 sounds right.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:25 PM
SLOW

The solution is obvious. Get a different tire size if the selection is too limited in the stock size.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:47 PM

ok, jsut went through the same thing... Our tires (5th gen anyway) are Potenza RE92s... these run a base of $159.00 online at tirerack.com goto a Nissan dealer, they'll be able to give you a dealer discount like they did me and give em to you at about $170 per tire, other places will jack you and ask from between $205-$250 yes, one a** did quote me $250 per tire... plus labor

my dealer installed one tire for $195 labor included after I literally hit a fork in the road... yes a 4-pronged metal fork.