General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cai and y-pipe loudness

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 07:32 PM

cai and y-pipe loudness

Ok, so I understand that CAI and y-pipe get loud mainly at WOT. But at idle or at normal driving conditions, what kind of sound do they make? Do they make the engine sound any deeper at all? I want to keep my car as quiet as possible (btw, 98gle) but would like a very subtle grumble -just slightly louder than stock- even when not driving aggressively. Will I get this sound from just upgrading to CAI and y-pipe, or should I also get a quiet muffler like the 5th gen’s or even Remus? (though I hear they’re expensive)

Also, would you say that the CAI is louder than the y-pipe, or the other way around? I might just get the quieter of the two – I love the smooth quietness of the stock setup, just want to give it a little more character.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:01 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: cai and y-pipe loudness

it would be nice if someone actually could take a dB reading to find out how loud everything gets. but someone would have to be ambitious to do that.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:23 PM

Re: Re: cai and y-pipe loudness

its a good question, i know that catbacks can be loud at all rpm, but i dont have the y to tell you
Old 01-22-2002, 10:21 PM

Re: cai and y-pipe loudness

I have a 97 se auto. I have a Pop charger, Y pipe and hight flow cat. It Under normal diriving conditions the car is a bit deeper than stock. There is a slight burble from the sotck muffler at idle. The untrained ear might not hear it. At WOT the intake is much louder than anything else. I hope that will change with the adition of a Cat back. Just letting you know my thoughts. Ill be getting a CAI soon so ill let you know how that is.
John
Old 01-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

if you wanted to be as quiet as possible, use a Y-pipe with stock exhaust, or if you want exhaust, use the Apexi WS. Intakes are loud as hell, so either keep the stock cold air box or do a custom cold air set up with the stock air box
Old 01-22-2002, 10:45 PM

I have a CAI and Y.

The CAI is a little louder than without at idle and gets loud above 3K RPM. Its barley noticable during regular driving. I did not notice any increase in sound with the Y. (I have the stock muffler)
Old 01-23-2002, 01:29 AM

Like everyone said. If your getting a Ypipe, keep the stock muffler. I have a ypipe and stillen muffler. the muffler is quiet by itself but when I added the ypipe it got really loud.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:33 AM

Our Max is about to have the Y-Pipe installed. Right now its extremely quiet stock. I'll let you know the diffence with the Y-Pipe.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:42 AM

I have CAI, Stillen Y, RT Cat, B-pipe (w/resonator) and STOCK muffler. Under normal driving conditions, I get the slight "can of bees" sound from 2000-2300 rpm's (5 speed). At WOT, it has a nice deep growl. I HAD a universal muffler on previously, and it was LOUD all of the time. Besides, the stock muffler isn't all that restrictive anyways.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:09 AM

thanks for the replies guys. for those of you with cai and/or y-pipe and noticed a slight difference in sound at idle/normal driving, i'd appreciate it if you could describe how it sounds different. thanks again!
Old 01-23-2002, 09:04 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

*longwinded response..as usual *

I've experimented with all kinds of setups and I've spent more money than I care to admit. Y-pipes in general will be louder due to their less restictive design and thin gauge tubing. I use to have the Stillen Y-pipe (older generation) and it did have a lot of the bees in the can sound and very thin gauge tubes. The flex section detoriated over time (probably because I wrapped it) and it began to leak. My car got pretty loud and had a annoying buzz from 2000-2400rpms. I sold my Stillen pipe for cheap and got a Warpspeed non-mandrel alumnized y-pipe with a lined flex section. This y-pipe is very quiet, has a very thick gauge, and uses a larger diameter outlet pipe (2.5" vs Stillen's 2.10"). I have no bees in the can sound.

With no resonators on my HKS intake, a Stillen B-pipe, and Warpspeed Y-pipe, my car is probably 20% louder than a stock 4th gen at part throttle acceleration. At cruise, the difference is very marginal, maybe 10%. At idle, there's no difference except for a slight burble out of the stock muffler. At WOT, the sound is very deep and all I can hear is my intake. The Stillen B-pipe has no resonator and has a fairly thin gauge. I use to have the Courtesy B-pipe which has a resonator and thicker gauge. The Courtesy was slightly quieter and the my muffler didn't "burble" at idle. I also use to have the HKS intake, Stillen Y-pipe, Courtesy B-pipe, and HKS muffler setup for a while. This setup was LOUD. It sounded good, but I don't think a Maxima should sound like hotrod V6.

If you want ultimate quietness, run the OSCAI/Poorman's intake with a good Y-pipe, B-pipe, stock muffler. I've dynoed the OSCAI vs HKS and I noted that OSCAI produces the same power as the HKS from 2000-5200rpms. After 5200rpms, the HKS make a little more power (3-4fwhp and tq) and holds on to the power a bit longer (5600rpms vs 5400rpms). I ran my best et of a 14.73@94mph with the OSCAI.

Dave
Old 01-23-2002, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

With my intake, If I drive gently on the gas it barely makes any sound, a slight whistling sound, but if I step on the gas, it quickly gets louder, a loud roar sometimes its a bit annoying