General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Chrome Plated Brake Calipers? Pros/Cons,Yes/No??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Master Will

Chrome Plated Brake Calipers? Pros/Cons,Yes/No??????

Hello fellow Maxima Enthusiasts I have a mod Idea I want to run buy you guys.I am getting a Brake upgrade soon
(Front-AXXIS Metal Masters Pads,

Front/Rear BREMBO Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors)
I want to buy a brand new set front and rear of brake calipers and have then sent off to be chromed and when I do my brake upgrade them I can do it all at one time. I need some pros and cons of everyday use of chromed brake calipers.
Thank You
Old 01-22-2002, 05:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't think you should chrome plate calipers. Either from a dimensional, material compatibility or usage perspective.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree. I would not have them Chromed, besides they would get dirty sooo quickly and they way our brakes are, you'd have to send the top of the pads to get chromed too...the caliper isn't the entire brake that is seen...I hope this makes sense

Erik
Old 01-22-2002, 05:23 PM

not worth it

since the back of the brake pad makes up about 1/2 of the surface, it wouldnt look as good as you think, plus you would probably have to take the wheel off to clean them, unless you have some very aggressive rims. just my 2 cents
Old 01-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Master Will

thank you............

fellas for all of the comments

just a cool idea I had......
Old 01-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I only see one problem.

Is it even feasible? Who's going to rebuild calipers for you? You can not just drop the whole assembled caliper into the tanks. The piston, seals and metal ring would have to come out. Try to find someone that's willing to rebuild your calipers would be the hardest task. Call around about rebuilding your calipers, you will know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:27 PM

Re: I only see one problem.

cool idea, would get dirty, but they wouldnt match your wheels, though they would look nice behind mine
Old 01-22-2002, 10:34 PM

chrome engine enamel
Old 01-22-2002, 10:46 PM

Im thinking there might be a problem with dissapating heat. It might trap heat under the crome and cause the calipers to retain heat or something. I dont know.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:47 PM

Chrome tends to heat up and stay hot. Not good for brakes.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:24 AM

Chrome..
Old 01-23-2002, 05:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My company does lots of plating with a local firm. I was tossing around the idea of having my calipers plated as well to look nice. Cadnium (sp?0 plated or Zinc plated would look great and match the plated rotors in the brake kit from eatricezone.com. It's not heat that causes you issues, and quite frankly rebuilding calipers is very easy. The piston seal and dust cover come out easily. But one thing you guys overlooked is tolerances. Plating puts a thin coating on everything which closes toleranes. We have similar issues with items we plate, such as anything with threads. The threads will no longer thread, bolts don't fit ext... So with a thin coating on the piston cup area inside the caliper, chances are the piston may not slide in and out of the caliper. Thats the only problem with plating. Now I'm still working with our local plater here to see if there is a way to remove the plating from surfaces which would be effected or have those areas protected before the caliper is dipped. That way the area will not get plated. We may have a solution soon. I think plated calipers would look hot myself. The finish would be much easier to keep clean also. If I do come up with a solution and a way to only have the outside area of the caliper plated I will definately let you guys in on it.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

Didn't I just say that?? hehe!

"""I don't think you should chrome plate calipers. Either from a dimensional, material compatibility or usage perspective."""

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
My company does lots of plating with a local firm. I was tossing around the idea of having my calipers plated as well to look nice. Cadnium (sp?0 plated or Zinc plated would look great and match the plated rotors in the brake kit from eatricezone.com. It's not heat that causes you issues, and quite frankly rebuilding calipers is very easy. The piston seal and dust cover come out easily. But one thing you guys overlooked is tolerances. Plating puts a thin coating on everything which closes toleranes. We have similar issues with items we plate, such as anything with threads. The threads will no longer thread, bolts don't fit ext... So with a thin coating on the piston cup area inside the caliper, chances are the piston may not slide in and out of the caliper. Thats the only problem with plating. Now I'm still working with our local plater here to see if there is a way to remove the plating from surfaces which would be effected or have those areas protected before the caliper is dipped. That way the area will not get plated. We may have a solution soon. I think plated calipers would look hot myself. The finish would be much easier to keep clean also. If I do come up with a solution and a way to only have the outside area of the caliper plated I will definately let you guys in on it.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Administrator

well no chrome.. but maybe polishing some Z Calipers.. make them nice and shiny.. i was too lazy to read the rest of this thread to see if anyone had answered