General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Another shameless V1 plug inside-->

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 07:45 AM
JimW

I went to a cousin's funeral in Va this weekend. I drove home from 10 miles north of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to NYC in Sunday traffic (argghh!!)
In Va, where detectors are illegal, I still ran the V1. (from the side, because of the way the A-pillar is located in the A6, you cannot see the detector at all, having tint makes it all but impossible to see from more than 10 ft.)
This is the first time that I ran the V1 in VA. Va state police tend to run K or Ka band, on all the time (moving or stationary) Since you're not supposed to have a detector, I can see why. It's tremendously easy to pick a speeding car out from almost 1/2 mile away going the opposite direction. For those who've never driven route 13, it's a 4 lane divided highway (grassy median in the middle) with turnarounds at every intersection (similar to most interstates, except the speed limit is a dismal 55, and interstates have no turnarounds)
I picked up a Ka band from ahead, 2 leds worth. Bogey counter then jumped to 2(both Ka) I watched the odometer. Bogey 1 was a trooper running Ka approaching me at a high rate of speed. I was running 80 when my V1 "locked on". It took 15 seconds for me to get a solid tone from bogey 1. When I got the solid tone, I checked the odo again. From the onset of the solid tone, It was .7 of a mile to the point where I had a "visual" of bogey 1. Total distance from "lock on" to Bogey 1 was approximately 2 miles.
I then passed Bogey 1, and my display read up and down arrows both Ka, with the forward arrow blinking, still a solid tone. About 3/4 mile ahead, Bogey 2 was sitting on my side of the road, in a little swath of trees clocking traffic in my direction.
Second scenario is a true life saver. Made my knees shake after I got through it.
I'm in Delaware now, fighting my way thru Sunday traffic. The type of traffice where the left lane is blocked by traffic running 57 mph, but for some reason, the right lane is clear for up to 1/2 mile at a time. I am literally fighting to maintain a measly 60 mph. Pass a car on the left, then move to the right, accelerate up to 80 for 1/2 mile, then move to the left and slow to 65. Sunday drivers obviously don't understand the concept of "drive right, pass left"
I'm running about 82 on an open strecth of highway, approaching a small town in De. (I believe it's called Odessa) I've got a caravan of speeders behind me. There's nothing in front of us, and the group of 4 cars is trying to make up some serious ground. No traffic approaching from the opposite direction, as my speedo heels over towards 90. The road here is straigt as an arrow, at least 3 miles of straight road, and I can see a few cars that are at least a full mile ahead of me. I'm now at 90 mph, holding it there for about 5 minutes or so, we round a small bend in the road, and the town is about 2 miles ahead of us.. Then out of nowhere, I get the almost never heard European siren sound of a FULL ON LASER ALERT COMING FROM DEAD AHEAD!! I react almost instantly. Flash my hazards to warn my followers, pull on my rear fog light for good measure,(had my headlights on as it was approaching dusk) brush the brakes and heel and toe down to 4th.. The first laser hit lasts for about 3 seconds.. DAMN!! I'm cooked for sure, there was no other traffic ahead of me, or inthe opposite direction. I'm down around 70 now, and I can see NOTHING in front of me. I look down at the odo to try and track distance to the Bogey. I get another Laser hit, this one lasting about 8 seconds. What the heck? I have no idea where this Bogey is, but he's nailing me again. I'm still slowing, and now the whole caravan is moving along at about 62, in the right lane, acting like good little children. Another hit, this one lasts about 10 seconds, a good sign, since this Bogey must've been far off. Just as we're about to enter the town, as the speed limit drops from 55 to 40, approximately 1 1/2 miles from my first alert is the Bogey. Sitting underneath a tree in the center median. Window rolled down, aiming at cars one by one. When I approached him, he aimed at me, and I got a full on hit for about 15 seconds. Which led me to believe that he was aiming dead at me. I had read that lights can diffuse the reading of a Laser gun, and I imagine that the HID's intensity, might have made a hard read for him, hence the long shot he took at me.
Am I sold, Heck Yea!! Valentine 1 is the greatest detector I've ever owned, and if given the opportunity, I would buy another. I will write a long letter the Mike Valentine himself to praise his product..
If you don't have one, get one.. Buy it as a Christmas present for yourself, you deserve it.

Old 11-13-2000, 07:57 AM

Great story!

You really like to tempt the devil by using it in Va. though! I heard that they will take it away from you in a NY second if it is anywhere in the passenger compartment of the car, even if it is disconnected and in the glove box. I have only heard the laser warning one time myself, pretty weird sound for sure!
Old 11-13-2000, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The way your post reads, were you in your car or a fighter plane? haha...Just kidding...
Actually, I'm going to get a V1 as soon as I have the $400+ to drop on it, and that I don't spend on other mods for my maxima. It seems like everytime I have money saved, something else takes priority over the V1. I gotta stay focused and direct my energy at getting the V1....oh look new Rims....
Old 11-13-2000, 08:02 AM
JimW

Re: Great story!

Originally posted by Maximizd
You really like to tempt the devil by using it in Va. though! I heard that they will take it away from you in a NY second if it is anywhere in the passenger compartment of the car, even if it is disconnected and in the glove box. I have only heard the laser warning one time myself, pretty weird sound for sure!
I've got a cousin in MD, who repeatedly runs his Uniden in VA. He's gotten ticketed for it twice, but they never confiscated it. Something like $75.

Old 11-13-2000, 08:06 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Great story!

woah...i heard they make u drive your car over it or something..ouch.
Dan

Originally posted by JimW
Originally posted by Maximizd
I've got a cousin in MD, who repeatedly runs his Uniden in VA. He's gotten ticketed for it twice, but they never confiscated it. Something like $75.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:21 AM

Great Story !!

V1 should have been the first mod I've ever gotten.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:34 AM

I run my radar detector in VA all the time--->>

I believe they only "steal" it from you if you live in VA.. Otherwise it cannot be accessible to a power source(so either the power plug or the unit itself must be in a locked glove box or trunk)... My Bel 950 has a disconneting piece right at the cirgarette lighter so I can easilly make that dissappear long before I'm even pulled over..

I've also been pulled over about 3 times while I left it on on my dash board and either they didn't notice or just didn't care and 2 times I've been in arguements or discussions about it both times having to get out and put it in the trunk..

VA uses mostly K and X bands depending on how far down 95 you go..
Old 11-13-2000, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had read that lights can diffuse the reading of a Laser gun, and I imagine that the HID's intensity, might have made a hard read for him, ...[/I]
YES IT DOES!!!

I havent tested it but I have read the same things, I allways drive with my high beams on during the day for just that reason. Standard automotive lighting puts out full spectrum light, including the freqency that lasers guns use. This will confuse the laser gun and reduce their long range capability. They will still be able to get you eventually, but your detector will have a greater warning period at long range.

I have also read that you can get filters for some high power lighting fixtures that only allow the laser spectrum to escape. The light does not appear to be on, good for night use?
Old 11-13-2000, 11:43 AM

Dang Jim, living dangerously. Love the sounds of that V1.