General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

y-pipe...hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 09:38 PM

y-pipe...hmmm

aiite one of my friends juss got a full exhaust system w/ the best magnaflow muffler installed on his Audi A4 2.8 for lke 2 bills...he didnt tell me who made the y-pipe but he said its 2.25" and guaranteed no rust and stuff....and hes telln me i might be able to get hooked up w/ y-pipe installed for about $100 cuz i dont need muffler cuz i already have 1...now, im thinkn Stillen/Cattman y-pipes cost ~$400 and now i can get sum y-pipe for $100 installed? should i go for it or what? im gonna find out who makes it and stuff first and make sure its not wack **** but is it worth investigating or seems too good to be true?
atw
Old 01-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its probably just a straight pipe. And it probably will rust and it probably will crack under the stress.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:18 PM

Re: y-pipe...hmmm

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
aiite one of my friends juss got a full exhaust system w/ the best magnaflow muffler installed on his Audi A4 2.8 for lke 2 bills...he didnt tell me who made the y-pipe but he said its 2.25" and guaranteed no rust and stuff....and hes telln me i might be able to get hooked up w/ y-pipe installed for about $100 cuz i dont need muffler cuz i already have 1...now, im thinkn Stillen/Cattman y-pipes cost ~$400 and now i can get sum y-pipe for $100 installed? should i go for it or what? im gonna find out who makes it and stuff first and make sure its not wack **** but is it worth investigating or seems too good to be true?
atw
Warpspeed's y-pipes are 2.5", and you can get an aluminized steel (the same stuff the stock pipe is made of) pipe for $225. So for a few more bucks you can get one made right, not just some dude in a garage figuring it out as he goes.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:18 PM

i just met up with my friend today, and his exhaust is freaaaknnn louddddddd, there is no way it can be only str8 pipe....i didnt see his stock piping but he said his new piping goes all the way until like under driver seat...so im guessn its full y-pipe right? and since i already have a muffler, im thinkn bout gettin the y-pipe if i can get it installed for 1bill...and its not some cheap place...for socal ppl, im talkn bout Valley Muffler...known pretty well in some parts...any ideas on what i should do? oh yea, the reason im holding back is cuz im trying to save for KYB-AGXs but i wanna do something to my car and im only bout 1/6 the way for agx's
atw
Old 01-25-2002, 02:22 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Re: y-pipe...hmmm

Originally posted by justmax

Warpspeed's y-pipes are 2.5", and you can get an aluminized steel (the same stuff the stock pipe is made of) pipe for $225. So for a few more bucks you can get one made right, not just some dude in a garage figuring it out as he goes.
Actually the stock exhaust system on our cars are made of a certain grade of stainless steel.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:19 PM

Doesn't he have a turbo?? If so, his downpipe would be cheaper because its only one bent pipe with a flex section. Yours will be more expensive with two downpipes, a y-section and a flex section. I just think he gave you a wrong quote.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by NightRider
Doesn't he have a turbo?? If so, his downpipe would be cheaper because its only one bent pipe with a flex section. Yours will be more expensive with two downpipes, a y-section and a flex section. I just think he gave you a wrong quote.
nah, my friend is 2.8 nonturbo.....
atw
Old 01-26-2002, 01:56 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

sounds slim shady to me
Old 01-26-2002, 03:42 PM

Shady is right, don't do it unless you just wanna end up paying twice as much when the thing breaks.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:43 PM

In other words my philosphy is "do it right the first time" & "you get what you pay for"