General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nearly got in accident - legal Q...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 03:24 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Nearly got in accident - legal Q...

I was in a line of about 15 cars merging onto a freeway. The freeway is backed up, so the on-ramp is stationary with each person waiting for a gap in traffic.

When it got to my turn, the guy behind me punched it, completed his merge and tired to accelerate pas me in the lane I was signalling and waiting to join. We both set off at the same time, but I was merging slowly (1-2mph) because of the stopped traffic and this guy gunned it.

He couldn't have gone anywhere except be alongside me and force me to merge behind him.

Well, he got within 6" of hitting my driver's door before stopping and letting me complete my very slow merge (just like everyone else!)

So, if he had hit me, would it be his fault for taking the space that he knew I was moving into, or mine for not checking over my shoulder? We both set off at same time, and the 10 cars in front of me merged in exactly the same way I did.

I say it's his fault, but I'm biased.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:35 PM

Usually it is the car that is behind that is at fault, because the car behind has a better line of vision of the event than the car in front (where the driver has to look in the mirror or over the shoulder).
Old 01-24-2002, 03:43 PM

Re: Nearly got in accident - legal Q...

Originally posted by Scruit
I was in a line of about 15 cars merging onto a freeway. The freeway is backed up, so the on-ramp is stationary with each person waiting for a gap in traffic.

When it got to my turn, the guy behind me punched it, completed his merge and tired to accelerate pas me in the lane I was signalling and waiting to join. We both set off at the same time, but I was merging slowly (1-2mph) because of the stopped traffic and this guy gunned it.

He couldn't have gone anywhere except be alongside me and force me to merge behind him.

Well, he got within 6" of hitting my driver's door before stopping and letting me complete my very slow merge (just like everyone else!)

So, if he had hit me, would it be his fault for taking the space that he knew I was moving into, or mine for not checking over my shoulder? We both set off at same time, and the 10 cars in front of me merged in exactly the same way I did.

I say it's his fault, but I'm biased.
It sounds like it would be his fault. Common sense-wise, if aggression were taken out of the picture, what would the situation have looked like?

I get a bit angry when every day agression turns into accidents. Those of you who live in Philly know that on Township Line Road, which is the burbs, it is lined with orange signs that say "Beware of Agressive Drivers." I think it's good to have those signs, because people get up to around 65 in a 35. Our problem here is 0 enforcement, it's like the Wild Wild West or Crooklyns. We need affordable traffic cams with an automated ticketing system--seriously. It's so crazy even councilmen drive 25 years without a valid PA license
Old 01-24-2002, 04:06 PM

Re: Re: Nearly got in accident - legal Q...

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

It sounds like it would be his fault. Common sense-wise, if aggression were taken out of the picture, what would the situation have looked like?

I get a bit angry when every day agression turns into accidents. Those of you who live in Philly know that on Township Line Road, which is the burbs, it is lined with orange signs that say "Beware of Agressive Drivers." I think it's good to have those signs, because people get up to around 65 in a 35. Our problem here is 0 enforcement, it's like the Wild Wild West or Crooklyns. We need affordable traffic cams with an automated ticketing system--seriously. It's so crazy even councilmen drive 25 years without a valid PA license
I'd say that if he was not being impatient and aggressive then he would have merged in the same way that everybody else did, and not tried to jump the line. I usually decide for myself who I think is at fault by asking; "Did the driver do everything reasonable to prevent the accident". In my case, I did the shoulder check and he set off after I looked back forwards again - almost immediately. His mistake was to see that I was signalling to change lane, and then still try to occupy the space that I was moving into.

I guess it would be one of those cases where witnesses or personal judgement would make all the difference.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:12 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I hate a$$hole drivers
Old 01-24-2002, 06:19 PM

it sounds like one of the cases where the person in front has right away and the person from the rear would be at fault. I can not stand drivers that think they are tough, what kind of car was it?
Old 01-24-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by MAXEJA
it sounds like one of the cases where the person in front has right away and the person from the rear would be at fault. I can not stand drivers that think they are tough, what kind of car was it?
Olds Aurora. Definitely a **** issue - just because he couldn't complete his line-jump he waited for the next gap in the adjacent lane and gunned it again. "Must-get-in-front-of-this-guy-at-any-cost!!!"

Of all my driving peeves (that don't normally **** me off - they amuse me) the greatest is the guy behind you purposely trying to beat you into the lane you're signalling & moving into. Most other annooyng habits are not likely to cause an accident there & then if you are alert, but this line-jumping thing has nearly caused an accident with my car at least once a year since I moved to this country. (When I say 'nearly', I mean stopped withing 6"!)