General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Put on catback dual/Y-pipe, so wheres the power ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 01:19 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Put on catback dual/Y-pipe, so wheres the power ?

Well yesterday I was at Mr. Muffler from 7:50am to 6:30pm helping the guy weld together my catback dual sided exhaust and WSP Y.

First of all he was very weary to work with me becuase he says shops dont do other shops custom jobs, becuase of usual fitment problems and stuff like that. Needless to say he was right. My exhaust didnt fit perfectly. At all. Which led to much aggrivated work. (on his part ) He also told me he coulda built the same thing and I coulda saved $250. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Well my WSP madrel Y. The guy said it was built very well except the universal flange sucked. Anyways we got it on but we had to flex it quite a bit to fit.

So after hours of welding together my b-pipe, downpipe, flomaster and pipes, I fired her up. DAMN! It sounds freakn sweet. A loud DEEP idle, and when I revv it it roars. Not as deep as a V8 when revved, but nothing like a 4banger. It has a loud deep poping noise when revved. Perfect sound IMHO. I used 2.5" piping for the b-pipe, and got rid of the stock premuffler.

Well, it smoked like normal for the first few hours, and he says my o2 sensor has to adjust as well as the ECU.

So anyways I take her out and take it easy on her the first day. Well today as I was coming home on the highway I turn off O/D and the revvs shoot up. I play with the gas and it has NO more go than when I just had the CAI! Whats goin on ?? I THINK I can notice a slight pull around midrange, but pretty much noticed no change.

So, wheres the power? Is my ECU still adjusting ? Shouldn't I at least feel a little more power ? Maybe its just the mega change in noise thats fooling me Whats goin on?
Old 01-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Administrator

don't you have duals?
Old 01-25-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
don't you have duals?
I do now. I will take pics soon. Steam/smoke comes out BOTH the tips.

So how come I feel no power from the catback, and ESPECIALLY the Y ??
Old 01-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Craig Mack

I do now. I will take pics soon. Steam/smoke comes out BOTH the tips.

So how come I feel no power from the catback, and ESPECIALLY the Y ??
y pipe and catback give power from 70 mph and above..

if you are not feeling anything.. you might want to check your engine to see if your injectors are clogged.. fuel filter is due.. spark plugs need changing..

regular maintenance alone can show a world of difference
Old 01-25-2002, 01:49 PM

i think ur losing lowend cuz of ur dual exhaust.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:52 PM

Maybe there is a leak.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You definitely should feel the difference with the Y. They are gains above 3k rpm that I still appreciate today (unlike some mods that you get used to and forget what it was like before). Problem is that you installed the dual cat-back at the same time so are feeling the effect of both. It is certainly possible that the dual exhaust is hurting you. It is also possible that you may have a leak somewhere, given that there were fitment issues. THere are the VERY few that don't notice much gain if any from the Y-pipe but this is very rare. The ECU doesn't have to adjust...felt the pull after 3k rpm from the very first drive. Don't know what to say...
Old 01-25-2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

y pipe and catback give power from 70 mph and above..

if you are not feeling anything.. you might want to check your engine to see if your injectors are clogged.. fuel filter is due.. spark plugs need changing..

regular maintenance alone can show a world of difference
Well I do have 60.3k miles, 300 overdue for the big 60k check-up, so you could be right. All my filters and injectors are probubly all used up. Maybe on the highway with fresh materials the extra breath from the new piping will show through. (the crap I have now wont allow the mods to show their true colors)

I need to get my @ss down to Nissan.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Well I do have 60.3k miles, 300 overdue for the big 60k check-up, so you could be right. All my filters and injectors are probubly all used up. Maybe on the highway with fresh materials the extra breath from the new piping will show through. (the crap I have now wont allow the mods to show their true colors)

I need to get my @ss down to Nissan.

no get your as$ in the 4th Gen Forum.. read the maintenance stickies..

change the FF .. clean/change your Air Filter, change your spark plugs.. get some FI cleaner from the gas station.. dump it with a fill up.. do it all for under $25 YOURSELF..
Old 01-25-2002, 02:01 PM

how cute is that two people with pics of their guages.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by buss95max

Sprint, With my mileage, will these changes make me FEEL a performance difference ?
Old 01-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by buss95max
thats intersting buzz.. all we need now is bags and ben..
Old 01-25-2002, 02:12 PM

bump for previous question..
Old 01-25-2002, 02:18 PM

I doubt....no I know I am not losing power from the duals because it goes into the muffler as a single catback, then the flomaster has another outlet where the pipe wraps around the spare tire. They are both functional. Now, it won't add any performance but It's not depriving me. And it looks 10x as cool. Can't even see the ultra slim f-master muffler tucked under there.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:40 PM

Re: Put on catback dual/Y-pipe, so wheres the power ?

How much gain were you expecting cuz exhaust want really give you that much power .
Old 01-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should definitley feel the difference with the Ypipe, when i got mine for my 95 not only could i feel the difference but takin off at low rpms in first gear was a challenge tryin not to lose traction
Old 01-25-2002, 03:46 PM

Fella's !!

I just got back from blockbuster. Well, I came to a stop light and decided to test out my baby. Well, to my surprise I squeeled the tires as much/more than with my previous setup (stock exhaust, CAI) It accelerated quicker.

Maybe I didn't feel the power really partly becuase I did it all at once ? I mean the sound is extremely loud, so maybe it fooled me ? I couldnt really feel a difference cause the overbearing roar

Anywhoo I noticed a bit more punch. I have yet to do a very careful test though, so we'll see.

One BAD thing about this setup: The exhaust is so nice and deep at idle and 1-2k rpms, that I find myself accelerating very slowly to keep the growl deep When I punch it, it has more of a high pitched growl. I don't know if its on the verge of ricey, but O well

O, another drawback: When I give it like 38% throttle, it is really loud, so people think im goin full throttle. Sheesh.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:52 PM

This just in:

Sounds as deep as a 3.8L V6 camaro with the same setup at idle, but more high pitched/racing type of car when revved high.

Not rice-boyish, becuase it still has a deep throaty sound to it, but it is more like a turboish high pitched racing noise than a deep american v8.

Lovely. Definatally lovely though.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This just in:

Sounds as deep as a 3.8L V6 camaro with the same setup at idle, but more high pitched/racing type of car when revved high.

Not rice-boyish, becuase it still has a deep throaty sound to it, but it is more like a turboish high pitched racing noise than a deep american v8.

Lovely. Definatally lovely though.
When are you going to post some pics?

Erik
Old 01-25-2002, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by tifosiv122

When are you going to post some pics?

Erik
Well a little someone who was supposed to give us our red/clears a LONG time ago still hasnt come through. So until that anyonomous person pulls through I dont wanna take em. But I will if that special someone STILL doesnt come through.

Chrome tips
Old 01-25-2002, 04:01 PM

Well a little someone who was supposed to give us our red/clears a LONG time ago still hasnt come through. So until that anyonomous person pulls through I dont wanna take em. But I will if that special someone STILL doesnt come through.

Chrome tips
Why don't you just crop the pic from the tail lights down?
Old 01-25-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Supermachoman

Why don't you just crop the pic from the tail lights down?
well its dark out now and i dont have a digi camera. I have to wait till daylight, take pics with a regular camera, get 'em developed, come home and scan em onto the comp.

But hell I guess I will do that sunday. Cant tommorow cause its homecoming.

Women
Old 01-25-2002, 04:31 PM

Or just clear them out using any paint program of your choice, like I just did. Yes I know my image editing skills are well below par, but it only took me ~3 minutes.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:51 PM

My ecu was reset after the install. With only a Y-Pipe my car dynoed a peak of 16 h.p. higher at 5,500 rpms. I waited til the next day, after over 100 miles of driving, to have the second set of runs done.

I also noticed a difference in the daily driving, very noticable. The sound is a little louder than stock, but not much. It has a bit of a growl to it now. As time went on the power felt better and better, as the ecu learned.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:48 PM

I doubt....no I know I am not losing power from the duals because it goes into the muffler as a single catback, then the flomaster has another outlet where the pipe wraps around the spare tire. They are both functional. Now, it won't add any performance but It's not depriving me. And it looks 10x as cool. Can't even see the ultra slim f-master muffler tucked under there.

No, actually, a single, larger tip coming out of that one muffler would have been more efficient than the dual tip setup you have. This is not a dual exhaust, it is a single exhasut with 2 tips - one of which has a really long, restrictive pipe on it.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by 2k2se6spd

No, actually, a single, larger tip coming out of that one muffler would have been more efficient than the dual tip setup you have. This is not a dual exhaust, it is a single exhasut with 2 tips - one of which has a really long, restrictive pipe on it.

Thanks for letting me know that.

Ok ya got me! So I lost 1hp for my setup vs. a straight through greddy setup!