General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

just Installed Stillen Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

just Installed Stillen Oil Cooler

After trying to piece one together using parts from Permacool, Hayden ect, I finally broke down and bought the $tillen cooler.

I didn't really get it as a performance item but more for engine longevity. I don't know if cooler oil results in more peak horsepower but the car does feels stronger and torquier at all RPM's. I like it a lot and it's nice to know the engine is well protected.
I also got an oil thermostat from Permacool to shorten warm-up time.

I've gotta give $tillen credit - you always pay a lot, but you get very high quality stuff in return. The instructions were crappy as usual though.

Anybody else have similar experieces with an engine oil cooler?
Old 01-27-2002, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yup, $tealins cooler is a rip off! I bought a Permacool universal kit from Jegs.

771-10189 250 Horsepower Oil Cooler Kit $ 87.99

It works just fine and was a snap to install. As a bonus the kit is designed to use a bigger oil filer from a Ford Truck!!!
Old 01-27-2002, 04:29 PM

Where does this fit in relation to a tranny cooler?

Erik
Old 01-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

pics?
Old 01-27-2002, 04:41 PM

Re: just Installed Stillen Oil Cooler

Originally posted by sleepermax
After trying to piece one together using parts from Permacool, Hayden ect, I finally broke down and bought the $tillen cooler.

I didn't really get it as a performance item but more for engine longevity. I don't know if cooler oil results in more peak horsepower but the car does feels stronger and torquier at all RPM's. I like it a lot and it's nice to know the engine is well protected.
I also got an oil thermostat from Permacool to shorten warm-up time.

I've gotta give $tillen credit - you always pay a lot, but you get very high quality stuff in return. The instructions were crappy as usual though.

Anybody else have similar experieces with an engine oil cooler?
That is true the craftmanship is great in my opinion but their prices are a little steep. But I have always been impressed with their products.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:52 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Yup, $tealins cooler is a rip off! I bought a Permacool universal kit from Jegs.

771-10189 250 Horsepower Oil Cooler Kit $ 87.99

It works just fine and was a snap to install. As a bonus the kit is designed to use a bigger oil filer from a Ford Truck!!!
The kit comes with everything needed for the installation? Can we use the stock oil filter on these bad boys? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

The kit comes with everything needed for the installation? Can we use the stock oil filter on these bad boys? Thanks.
Will I needed a few zip ties to help with routing the lines, but other than that, it is 100% complete. No you cant use the stock filter. Using the larger filter is awesome for filtering. The Maxima OE filter size is tiny!
Old 01-28-2002, 07:06 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Will I needed a few zip ties to help with routing the lines, but other than that, it is 100% complete. No you cant use the stock filter. Using the larger filter is awesome for filtering. The Maxima OE filter size is tiny!
I see, thanks for the info.

Ford truck filter? Hmmmmmmmm..... Which truck filter? Sorry for the questions, Jane and I have always been interested in an oil cooler kit but couldn't fork out $400 for the kit.

One for Q for this post. What shot are you using? 25 shot? I'm searching for a 25-30 shot kit. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:18 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...One for Q for this post. What shot are you using? 25 shot? I'm searching for a 25-30 shot kit. Thanks for any info.
Trying to get some TQ eh Kev?
Old 01-28-2002, 07:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Colonel

Trying to get some TQ eh Kev?
More power too.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:28 AM

Wait wait wait, so the ford truck filter screws right into the engine like the normal maxima filter? If so, which one? I wanna do this for my next oil change also.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Wait wait wait, so the ford truck filter screws right into the engine like the normal maxima filter? If so, which one? I wanna do this for my next oil change also.

Dixit
You need the cooler kit Matt listed.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:58 AM

You need the cooler kit Matt listed.
So not only will I have the OEM filter, but also a Ford Truck size oil filter for the oil cooler also?

Kev, BTW, I am coming about within a month to buy a S/C. Just still contemplating a S/C or the Turbo MY4DSC puts out.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:01 AM
ejj

So not only will I have the OEM filter, but also a Ford Truck size oil filter for the oil cooler also?

Kev, BTW, I am coming about within a month to buy a S/C. Just still contemplating a S/C or the Turbo MY4DSC puts out.

Dixit
No, oil cooler kits come with a adapter for the stock filter position. That bolts onto there, and the Ford filter would fit onto that adapter.

Just 1 filter.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:03 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dixit
There's an adapter that goes over the stock filter hole, I assume... so he only uses the Ford filter.

SC? 2.62" pulley too? 14 lbs sounds good doesn't it?
Old 01-28-2002, 09:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I see, thanks for the info.

Ford truck filter? Hmmmmmmmm..... Which truck filter? Sorry for the questions, Jane and I have always been interested in an oil cooler kit but couldn't fork out $400 for the kit.

One for Q for this post. What shot are you using? 25 shot? I'm searching for a 25-30 shot kit. Thanks for any info.
Fram HP1 ownz!
Old 01-28-2002, 09:11 AM

There's an adapter that goes over the stock filter hole, I assume... so he only uses the Ford filter.

SC? 2.62" pulley too? 14 lbs sounds good doesn't it?
What you mean 2.625" pulley "too"? You actually gonna get a 2.62"? I want to have at least 10psi boost. I am very mechanical, I have done engine rebuilding and tranny rebuilding, and was considering doing the Level10 tranny upgrade myself with the kit they send me. But dont know how complicated these new trannys are. I used to work alot on my 1980 Benz.

Why have you not done a Level10 upgrade yet? Also do I have to get the Dons VB upgrade with a S/C? Cause the only problem I got with that is that I got only one car right now, and I cant be out for more than one day. Don will take at least a week, plus I dont even have a garage to let me car sit in while the VB is out. This is going to get complicated.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 09:28 AM

Kev, I just use a straight dry nitrous kit, but dont use the fuel pressure riser part.

I'll try and get a few pics of the oil cooler install on my car, its kinda wierd looking but it works.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by DanNY

Fram HP1 ownz!
You trying to tell me something?

What you mean 2.625" pulley "too"? You actually gonna get a 2.62"? I want to have at least 10psi boost. I am very mechanical, I have done engine rebuilding and tranny rebuilding, and was considering doing the Level10 tranny upgrade myself with the kit they send me. But dont know how complicated these new trannys are. I used to work alot on my 1980 Benz.

Why have you not done a Level10 upgrade yet? Also do I have to get the Dons VB upgrade with a S/C? Cause the only problem I got with that is that I got only one car right now, and I cant be out for more than one day. Don will take at least a week, plus I dont even have a garage to let me car sit in while the VB is out. This is going to get complicated.

Dixit
Hehehe... nope, I'll never to that small unless I get an L10 rebuild and internal strengthening. 3.25" should be the 10 psi you're looking for. You should definitely get a VB recal before any of this.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...I got only one car right now, and I cant be out for more than one day. Don will take at least a week, plus I dont even have a garage to let me car sit in while the VB is out...
Dixit
Dixit! That is why you have your bike! And dont give me that 3 piece suit crap. Reason: I ride to work as often as I can in the fall and spring to unload miles on the car (summer can get to hot with a sweaty helmet). Plus, its just fun tearing up the highway on a bike....can you say dotted line pass...? he he he.

On another note, the jegs kit was 100% complete except for "tube issues", so I am "assuming" that the kit adaptor for the oil filter is universal too? How does it work in the winter time? Does the oil still go through the cooler or it there some kind of thermostate controlled switch? Also do you need to increase the amound of oil in the motor?
Old 01-28-2002, 10:23 AM

Dixit! That is why you have your bike! And dont give me that 3 piece suit crap. Reason: I ride to work as often as I can in the fall and spring to unload miles on the car (summer can get to hot with a sweaty helmet). Plus, its just fun tearing up the highway on a bike....can you say dotted line pass...? he he he.
True, I do have my bike that can rip damn near any car on the .org. But still, it is fun no doubt, but like you said, can get very very hot on a 90F day. Plus I still want more power on my car, It feel sluggish after riding my bike, need to make it so it dont feel Too sluggish after coming off the bike

Hhahaha, I knew someone was going to respond of that nature. Funny thing is I am not planning on modding a damn thing on the bike, it is pointless. It is already too freagin fast for me.

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

True, I do have my bike that can rip damn near any car on the .org. But still, it is fun no doubt, but like you said, can get very very hot on a 90F day. Plus I still want more power on my car, It feel sluggish after riding my bike, need to make it so it dont feel Too sluggish after coming off the bike

Hhahaha, I knew someone was going to respond of that nature. Funny thing is I am not planning on modding a damn thing on the bike, it is pointless. It is already too freagin fast for me.

Dixit
No, no, no....use your bike while the car is outta commish'. And I do know the feeling of speed then get in the car its like. Hello you can accelerate at any time now!

And a 1000 Gixxer....better beat EVERYTHING on this board...if not you gots a problem...
Old 01-28-2002, 10:44 AM

No, no, no....use your bike while the car is outta commish'. And I do know the feeling of speed then get in the car its like. Hello you can accelerate at any time now!

And a 1000 Gixxer....better beat EVERYTHING on this board...if not you gots a problem...
Now I follow you, Hey, you got a Gixxer 1000? shiettttttttttttttttt

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 10:52 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Now I follow you, Hey, you got a Gixxer 1000? shiettttttttttttttttt

Dixit
Nah, I wish though! But I have a fairly long commute to work and I don't need a back doctor bill! I though yours was until I actually opened my eyes and read it was a 600. Thats no slow machine by any stretch.

I myself run a 98 Honda VFR with carbon High pipe and full TwoBros headers. One you unload all of the heavy crap, remove the 19 million cat/precats/aftercats (Its "was" Cali-Spec), its amazing what she'll do. Plus its awesome opening her up on the highway, tap dance on the shifter and make ricers look stupid.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:55 AM

BEWARE

99DustMagnet (Alex) had a combo cooler from Summit Racing (the engine/tranny oil cooler) and it was fine for the first year. He was driving up the 405 and heard a LOUD grinding noise from the engine. He pulled over in neutral, the engine was gone. The return line of the oil cooler had broken, subsequently his engine. Luckily he had that stupid warranty on his car and got a new motor. He had to pay up $700 for labor.

I've been thinking of adding a cooler since 97, but I just never got around to it. Just make sure to check the condition of the hoses from time to time.
Old 01-28-2002, 11:03 AM

Nah, I wish though! But I have a fairly long commute to work and I don't need a back doctor bill! I though yours was until I actually opened my eyes and read it was a 600. Thats no slow machine by any stretch.

I myself run a 98 Honda VFR with carbon High pipe and full TwoBros headers. One you unload all of the heavy crap, remove the 19 million cat/precats/aftercats (Its "was" Cali-Spec), its amazing what she'll do. Plus its awesome opening her up on the highway, tap dance on the shifter and make ricers look stupid.
Cats? My bike dont have anything. Just a header coming off the block into the muffler (which i gutted for sound).

Yeah my Gixxer600 aint a slow machine at all, just that those 1000 are way too much, i mean so much that the bike has more power than it can handle, that is why you notice alot of Gixxer1000 totalled. Cause the rider pushes the bike past it limits, that is the biggest problem i have with the Gixxer1000. If I get rid of my bike this spring, it will be to replace it with the all new Yamaha R1. That is awesome, but my friends tell me no point since i cant even handle the power coming off this gixxer600. They are right, but i am retarded like half of us on the board and just want more power.

Dixit

Dixit
Old 01-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: BEWARE

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
99DustMagnet (Alex) had a combo cooler from Summit Racing (the engine/tranny oil cooler) and it was fine for the first year. He was driving up the 405 and heard a LOUD grinding noise from the engine. He pulled over in neutral, the engine was gone. The return line of the oil cooler had broken, subsequently his engine. Luckily he had that stupid warranty on his car and got a new motor. He had to pay up $700 for labor.

I've been thinking of adding a cooler since 97, but I just never got around to it. Just make sure to check the condition of the hoses from time to time.
Thats not funny.....
Old 01-28-2002, 03:27 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Kev, I just use a straight dry nitrous kit, but dont use the fuel pressure riser part.

I'll try and get a few pics of the oil cooler install on my car, its kinda wierd looking but it works.
Didn't catch your post this morning. Thanks for the info and pics (if you have time).
Old 01-28-2002, 04:47 PM

Wow, I gues he didnt notice the oil pressure warning light early enough...
Old 01-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

this is a really good reason why you should run braided hoses and AN fittings.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

You trying to tell me something?

1 qt capacity oil filter.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:25 PM

hey guys - the size of the filter doesn't matter much. The important things are flow and filtering ability - bigger is not necessarily better. The Nissan OEM filter is a low resistance, high flow filter while at the same time doing an excellent job of filtering - it's comparable to a mobil 1 filter in that I believe it uses synthetic fibers in part. When you examine the Nissan filter and compare it to a Mobil 1, even, you can see right away it's very high quality and very well made.

No offense, but I'm not too crazy about using Fram filters. They are great at marketing but their filters are mediocre; check out this link: Filter Study

I wanted an oil coler kit that used the Nissan OEM filter and the Stillen was really the only option. Plus it's extremely well though out and put together so I'm very confident the likelyhood of problems, leaks or ruptures is very low.

The only thing it's missing in my opinion is a thermostat, because the motor does take longer to get up to operating temp. I'm adding the Permacool thermostat tonight.

So far I'm very happy with the oil cooler - the engine just runs and revs much more effortlessly especially at high rpms!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

hey guys - the size of the filter doesn't matter much. The important things are flow and filtering ability - bigger is not necessarily better. The Nissan OEM filter is a low resistance, high flow filter while at the same time doing an excellent job of filtering - it's comparable to a mobil 1 filter in that I believe it uses synthetic fibers in part. When you examine the Nissan filter and compare it to a Mobil 1, even, you can see right away it's very high quality and very well made.

No offense, but I'm not too crazy about using Fram filters. They are great at marketing but their filters are mediocre; check out this link: Filter Study

I wanted an oil coler kit that used the Nissan OEM filter and the Stillen was really the only option. Plus it's extremely well though out and put together so I'm very confident the likelyhood of problems, leaks or ruptures is very low.

The only thing it's missing in my opinion is a thermostat, because the motor does take longer to get up to operating temp. I'm adding the Permacool thermostat tonight.

So far I'm very happy with the oil cooler - the engine just runs and revs much more effortlessly especially at high rpms!
DOHHH!! damn i gotta switch filters. thanks man!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:45 PM

Dans referance to Fram was satirical (I think) I use a PureOne filter.

A qoute from the artice you referanced...

"Probably the most important value here is the element surface area." You can make of this statement what you want.

Oh yea, whats the part number of the thermosatic element from permacool?
Old 01-28-2002, 06:50 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yes...you are correct sir.
Old 01-28-2002, 07:47 PM

A qoute from the artice you referanced...

"Probably the most important value here is the element surface area." You can make of this statement what you want.

Oh yea, whats the part number of the thermosatic element from permacool?
Hey Mardi Gras - I totally agree surface area is definitely very important. I can't find the link right now - but there's also a study on the Nissan OEM filter. It excelled at everything - as well as having a very significant surface area (you can have large surface areas in small spaces by having more folds - same concept as in air filters). Believe me I'm fanatical about protecting my car and I haven't come across what I thought was a better filter than the OEM. The mobil 1 is ok but it doesn't thread as snug as OEM.

Here's where I got the Permacool Oil Thermostat.

Dan - that's Ok, we don't think any less of you for using a one QUART capacity FRAM oil filter!
Old 01-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

1 qt capacity oil filter.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Dan - that's Ok, we don't think any less of you for using a one QUART capacity FRAM oil filter!
::sniff sniff:: gee thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

err joo didn't know?!?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

err joo didn't know?!?
Nope. Must be one humongous filter.

Is that considered a rice filter?

Quick Reply: just Installed Stillen Oil Cooler